Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Ugh, I should've knew this was coming so refer to for my true Most Frustrating Moment, I guess for here I'm going to have to list a second most frustrating moment. "Luckily", Video Games are full of them so I shouldn't have to look too hard...

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moment That's Not Skyward Sword Because I Picked That Already by Accident... Gah!

Now let me start this one by asking you all a question. What do all these characters have in common?

20110610164716%21Metal_Sonic_the_Fighter

Inospriteani.gif

Shion_y_magaki_kof_xiii_card_by_charlyda

XAw3850.jpg

Now if you answered with:

THEY'RE ALL FIGHTING GAME FINAL BOSSES THAT ARE CHEAP AS HELL AND PISS ME OFF AND SPIKE THE DIFFICULTY CURVE FROM EASY TO BORDERLINE IMPOSSIBLE AND IT TAKES ME HOURS JUST TO BEAT THESE GUYS! I HATE THIS STUPID SNK BOSS TROPE WHOEVER INVENTED IT IS A MASOCHISTIC STUPID FACE AND I HATE HIM FOR MAKING THIS STUPID TROPE.

That would be most certainly correct.

Seriously, whose idea was it to make bosses as broken as possible (especially the one I listed from KoF XI). Is this supposed to be FUN? Because I'm sure as hell not having it. At least, not when I play through an entire campaign for 30 minutes/hour and then I have to lose all progress because I can't beat these ridiculously over powered twats.

I know it's an Arcade Game thing, gotta cheap kids out of their quarters, but I have all these games on consoles with unlimited continues, and it's still not fun. At least, when I select "Normal", I expect to play on NORMAL, not "hardest difficulty all of a sudden because why not". If this difficulty were say, on HARD mode I'd be perfectly okay with it, but the way these games difficulty spike so far up once you reach these guys it's just ridiculous. I don't like it.

Previously on Day 10:

Next time on Day 12: 

• Thumbs Up 2

DAY 11: Most Frustrating Moment that just causes you to go apeshit and you donteven gawdsfhofhdsuds---

Games Freezing (mostly on PC)

I can't even hold all this rage whenever this even happens.

Whenever games freeze on me, is when all my rage may have - at some point - been thrown away to the point that whenever it happens again, I don't even have anything to say. I just sit there and sigh.

Usually this really only happens when playing on pc for me, and because of that I make sure everything is alright, such as: Drivers , No useless programs running, Nothing else sucking out the processors, even minimum settings.

But even then, at some point the game I'm playing feels obligated enough to give out a roaring laugh and just slap that one frame withing the game and keep it still for all eternity.

And this even once happened with some old games that -- I'm pretty sure - my PC would only be able to run perfectly.

DLC the Game!

This only happened once, but generally this would annoy me anyway, unless the game included a fair amount of content within it then maybe it would be alright.

The game in question? Ridge Racer for PS Vita.

Now I don't play all of the Ridge Racers out there (My first being RR2 for PSP), but I do like myself a racing game, and hell did I enjoy it on PSP, so if there's a fancy new one on the console you just bought -- then what could go wrong!??

The game would boot up, I'd see some weird online modes I couldn't care less about, and nothing interesting for Single-Player modes, and then there was no career mode at all. Off to a great start, so I guess I should actually START racing, then I'll just pick single-race and -- wait ..What? What??

Only 3 vehicles and 3 tracks to choose from. Now that would be fine, I'm sure you can unlock more?

Right? Damn fuckin' wrong you are, because you can't unlock anything in the game due to how it all must've been designed to grab money off of you, since the only way to get new race tracks or vehicles was to go to Playstation Store and buy them. Optional? Yes indeed, but what is the point if the game could've been one of those "Free to Play" kind of deals, cause it sure looked like one, except it would cost 20 Euros.

The cars you can get aren't anything special either, ( Well the SEGA Daytona car was cool) their Speed?

Your cars are constantly in sync with speed depending on your Level with how many wins you get. Handling? Can be set in the options.

Maybe the game was rushed, maybe I'm overreacting, but this still bothers me enough to express so.

Day 11: Most Frustrating Moment

Pinball.PNG

I could write paragraphs about how terrible this entire bonus game is but I shouldn't be humoring it more than I already am so I will just leave this with one comment: The FLUDD is broken during this level. Not through some justifiable in-game explanation, not unable to use, just broken. And that makes this level more bullshit than it's worth.

In fact, chalk up any bonus level in this game that doesn't strip you off of the FLUDD and instead uses gimmicky obstacle courses rather than the pure Galaxy-inspirational platform levels.

I would have mentioned a similarly non-functional game that gave me woes in my childhood,

DK_Beaver_Bother.png

But that is before I realized there's a trick to getting the beavers into the hole involving the way they're facing. Still pretty bullshit, but consider it an (dis)honorable mention.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Oops, looks like I wasn't able to post earlier. My bad. Guess I'll just start now tongue.png

My most frustrating moments in video games have all been the most challenging ones, now that I think about it. But we're going for most  frustrating, not necessarily most challenging, so I'll give it my best.

First of all, getting every single item in a level EXCEPT FOR ONE.

Dk64_jungle.jpg

Shadow-the-Hedgehog-screenshot.png

I'm talking about getting to the end of a level in Shadow the Hedgehog, and realizing you've killed everyone you needed to in the mission EXCEPT FOR ONE PERSON. Ugh. Also, when you're missing one music note in Banjo-Kazooie, or just one colored banana in Donkey Kong 64. It's not that bad, but when you see that, you know you're screwed: it's gonna take a LONG TIME to find them. In the case of Shadow, you're usually better off just restarting.

An honorable mention would also be this entire game:

mario-strikers-charged-box-art.jpg

The game starts off easy enough, but towards the end, the opponents don't just get incredibly difficult to beat: THEY GET DIRTY! They body-check you all over the place and shove you into the electric fence and just DESTROY YOU. Beaeting the Striker Cup is a struggle I haven't pushed through yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 11 - Most Frustrating "Ninjashark should stick to edutainment games where he's safe" Moment

Link to it here

My most frustrating moment as to be a particular puzzle section in the Pecan Sands stage of Wario World. It's the last stage of the game so understandably the puzzles will be getting harder but this one just takes the biscuit.

The set up of the room is that the crystal floating in the middle of the room, out of Wario's standard jumping range. The room is also littered with a large number of blocks that, when struck from any direction, shoot of in that direction. The objective is clear then, use the blocks to reach the prize.

And there in lies the issue with the puzzle, there's no sort of clue or feedback on whether what you're doing is working. I myself when I've come across it always find myself basically shooting in the dark in regards to trying to solve the puzzle until either I get fed up playing or go look up how to do it on youtube (which takes a while since I can be rather stubborn V:). It just gets annoying constantly trying but having no luck, or even any clue if you're on the right track.

The worst part is after I do get it, I never have that feeling of "oh I get it now" that you normally get from a tough puzzle... which generally means I'm doomed to repeat the process again next time I replay a save game :,V.

I could talk about corrupted save files.

I could talk about game-breaking bugs.

I could even talk about black-outs.

But...sit down and relax, mates. This time I'll talk about an old friend of mine.

His name? "King Number 001". Doesn't ring a bell? You probably know him under his other name.

bfWwh3g.png

Dynamo Man.

This little shit over here is a robot master in Megaman & Bass. Now, we all know about Megaman, don't we? Blue bomber fighting against 8 robot masters, each one weak to the weapon of one of its colleagues.

Dynamo Man is weak to Astro Man's Copy Vision. That being said, you'd think that knowing this little tidbit would help the player beating him a new one, right?

WRONG.

The guy has the nice ability to restore his health once it drops to critical level. And when you stop him from doing exactly that...it's too late. All the damage you did? GONE. Hope you like dancing the same  song for three hours straight, mega-player. Dynamo Man loves to dance.

Day 10

Well to be honest I think it's mainly pokemon. No matter what entity in the series I'm playing I always get lost in the Pokemon universe. Spending countless hours training, battling and searching for secrets.

Day 11

Padding. The one thing I hate in a video game is when you have to do stuff in order to advance. Weather if its to collect a bunch of collectables or do a bunch of objectives. Games like the 3D mario games do this well cause I don't need to do everything to beat the game. The Wii version of unleashed is bad because you have to do these stupid challenges after you beat a day time stage and its sole purpose is so the game would last longer. The spongebob movie game is great except for collecting goober tokens you need in order to unlock a special move you need in order to beat the level or get the party wagon. The game has multiple acts in each stage the problem with that is that's when you start to notice the games flaws. The driving/sliding sections controls are bad and in addition to doing that there these bonus rooms that suck because you have to be perfect with your platforming or else you will die and good luck with the rotating ice blocks you'll need it. But the worst offender of this is donkey kong 64 since you need to 100% everything in order to unlock the final boss. It's not one of those 100% to get the true ending no this crap is mandatory that's just poor level design I don't think you need to do that in the banjo games

Most of the 4th Phoenix Wright game is incredibly frustrating, with so much of the plot being predicated on you bonding with someone who at times comes off as functionally retarded and is never really given any character development since he isn't really the main character. Where the series has always shined, however, is in the buildup in the last case; where the game pulls out all the stops to truly challenge you with the ending being a big fat payoff to your success. And that is where the 4th Ace Attorney title really collapses on itself.

The 4th game had none of that. There is some buildup, of course, since half of the cases do nothing but telegraph the ending. But there was, going into the fateful moment in the series treated with such gravity (where Phoenix is disbarred in a flashback) no drama. No cleverness. Even without the story to that point, it's incredibly obvious what's happening and that you shouldn't do what you need to do, yet you are forced by no other reason than bad writing to do it anyway. And the ending that supposedly pays this off amounts to a cheap copout; an illusion of player choice when the answer is obvious to the player because the player knows information that the story didn't bother setting up properly for other characters to know despite the logic-destroying time travel nonsense it bent over backwards to try to salvage something they thought was clever but blatantly wrote themselves into a corner over. For a series up to that point where even the weakest game had some of the best moments in the series purely in them going all in to deliver a quasi equivalent to a thriller, Apollo Justice's complete petering out was incredibly disappointing.

Day 12 - Fondest "Next Gen Experience"

Now, the wording of this question is a bit funny, so I'll explain exactly what I'm asking for here before giving an answer. Think back to all your most memorable experiences with a "new" console throughout your life. Doesn't have to be a recent one, but something that sticks out in your mind as a real "wow" moment. Could be unprecedented graphics or presentation, bigger worlds than you'd ever seen before, or even something as simple as a really fun part of the game that made you feel like you were experiencing something new and amazing.

:)

spider-man-2-f.jpg

"... Wait, I can go there!?" - Spider-Man 2

I distinctly remember watching the trailer for the Spider-Man 2 game when I was a kid. Was probably around ten or eleven years at the time, sitting with my older sister and watching the special features on the DVD for the movie. I'd played all the Spider-Man games on Playstation up to that point, and beaten them several times. Both the PS1 games, and the tie-in for the first movie on PS2. I pretty much knew what to expect, really.

Except I didn't. At all. See, I'd never gotten the chance to play GTA or anything like that (considering my age probably for obvious reasons, but I mean I played Mortal Kombat and nobody cared so I dunno), so the concept of an open world in a game was completely foreign to me. I saw footage of Spider-Man perched on top of a light pole, jump up, and start swinging through the city. My sister thought it looked cool, but I wasn't insanely impressed. "Nah, it's just a cutscene. They can't let you move like that in the actual game."

What a pleasant surprise to have Bruce Campbell tell me to jump off a building and start shooting webs. Holy shit. Swinging through New York in Spider-Man 2 was like nothing I'd ever seen before, and it blew my feeble little gaming mind into a million tiny pieces.

"That, buddy, is a next gen experience!"
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 12: Fondest "Next-Gen Experience"

Dammit...sorry, but I HAVE to pull out my Sonic card this time.

Sonic_360_009.jpg.jpg

"Holy crap this game is SO FAST and PRETTY!" - Sonic Unleashed

This game was the first game I got with my Xbox 360. I never had any experience with a HD console before so before this I was still playing PS2 games. The last Sonic game I played before Unleashed was Shadow the Hedgehog sad.png

When I played the first stage of Windmill Isle (the daytime tutorial stage) and hit that boost button for the first time I was just blown away. I've NEVER experienced Sonic or any game for that matter as fast as this before. It was short lived though since the stage was so short, so when I reached Windmill Isle Act 2 and had my go at a full stage, I was just mesmerized. The game just flowed like water!

Sonic Unleashed was my FIRST HD game and man was it an experience. It was fast, fluid and absolutely beautiful. Just damn! The Werehog levels didn't impact me as much, but I had fun with him too smile.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Easily, my first time playing a Nintendo Wii.

"Holy shit, what is this 'Wii Sports'? What are these 'Miis'? What is this remote and why does it not have wires yet work perfectly?! IS THIS THE FUTURE?! AM I HOLDING ALIEN TECHNOLOGY?!"

Then I played Super Mario Galaxy. "HOLY SHIT MARIO IN 3D OMG I CAN WALK UPSIDE DOWN I CAN MOVE AROUND THIS GIANT HUB WORLD OH GOOOOOO-*head boom*

Day 12! Fondest "Next Gen" experience!

Probably Jak and Daxter. First time I popped that sucker into my PS2 and played the first tutorial level, I was already blown away by it. The colourful graphics, the unique character design and cartoony atmosphere was simply perfect. Hell when I first started it up I didn't know at first you had to control with the analogue stick until I checked the instruction manual (lol yeah, I never had a Dualshock for the PS1 and I was so used to using a D pad all my life)! ^^;;; What also excited me about Jak and Daxter was its massive overworld, cleverly using loading times to hide the fact that it wasn't really an overworld after all! Moment I stepped on to Sentinel Beach, which is also my favourite area in the game, I was struck by how pretty the place was. And there's so much exploring to do!

Sentinel_Beach_view.png

Jak and Daxter is definitely my fondest experience with a brand new game on a brand new console (at the time of course!) that was nothing like the previous console I played, and it was this game that showed me that games really had changed drastically. For the better of course!

EDIT: Honourable mentions: Abe's Oddysee, Super Mario Galaxy and Sonic Unleashed.

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day 12: Fondest Next Gen Experience

Fondest next gen experience? Hmmm....I'd have to say when I first got an Xbox 360. We previously had a PS2, and my god was the leap in graphics huge. At the time, I thought the graphics looked really realistic in comparison, and the special effects on the system were great for their time (this was Christmas 06 btw). I also vaguely remember when we upgraded from a PS1 to a PS2, and my sister and I played the hell out of GTA Vice City and San Andreas. It was a totally new experience for us at the time, we had never played a 3D Open World game before.

Oh, and Sonic Generations and Unleashed. Now I didn't play these until the more recent years, but I was blown away by how fast a beautiful they were in comparison to, say, Sonic Heroes.

I'm really looking forward to getting a PS4, no doubt that will be a great next gen experience. The graphics on the system look gorgeous, with some big ambitious games even running at 60fps.

Fondest "next gen experience?" I can think of one. Gonna have to break my string of "No Sonic" posts, though. XD

Speeding Through Windmill Isle (Sonic Unleashed)

After getting a 360 for Christmas in 2006 to play a game that everyone here knows wasn't worth it, the console sat gathering dust for literally YEARS until 2008 when Sega Superstars Tennis came out and I found something to actually enjoy on it. That was also the year that Sonic Unleashed was announced and when I got it, I was BLOWN AWAY. Everything was SO...PRETTY! AND FAST! AND SMOOTH! AND NOT GLITCHY! With eye-pleasing visuals and ear-pleasing music, Sonic Unleashed was pretty much my first foray into a true HD game and MAAAAAAAAN, did it not disappoint. I played Windmill Isle Day Act 1 so many times that I had it completely memorized, but despite that, I NEVER got bored of it! This was the next gen Sonic that I had truly been waiting for and it cleaned that dirty stain from 2006 away from my mind AND soul.

Honorable Mention:

Playing A Full 3D Game On A Handheld (Super Mario 64 DS)

Just the idea of taking something that was only possible on a console for SO LONG and making it so I could play Mario 64 on the go was just MIND-BLOWING back in the day. I was SO excited for what the DS could bring to the table and thousands of titles later...let's just say I'm more than satisfied.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ooh, interesting question.  I can think of a few answers so I'll be brief about each one:

a60d.gif

Was a toss-up between actual gameplay and the face title screen for imagery here but either way, this was the first foray into 3D gaming for most Nintendo fans.  I was captivated from the off.  Even further down into the N64's life, I occasionally had a dumb moment of trying to look around a corner or two.  Another notable mention from this era was the sheer technical marvel of Conker's Bad Fur Day.  Full voice acting, lip-sync, and even a song on an N64 game?  Utterly insane for the time.

cf5m.jpg

Since I only had an N64, consider that FMV was not a regular occurance for me... actually I don't think I need to defend the beauty that is Smash Bros Melee's intro anyway.  When you were used to games that looked like the screenshot above this one, this was very, very exciting.  Luigi's Mansion also managed to totally thrill me first time I played it, what a game to show off the new capabilities of the system.

5tf7.jpg

And further into the Gamecube's life, I was blown away by the speed of Sonic Adventure 2.  It seems so mundane now but at the time, Green Forest in particular blew me away as the fastest thing I had ever played.  A few years later, Sonic Advance 2 would give me the same experience on a handheld.
2ca68.jpg

I always believed in the Wii.  I remember the day after it was announced, my fellow Nintendo loving friend just ran to each other at the start of college like "OH MY GODD NINTENDOOOOO" coz we were so excited for it.  When I finally got to play one I was not disappointed.  Again it's a thing I now take for granted, but motion control was so new and fun and it still is to me when done right.  Folks, get your Wiis out and have a game of Bowling with someone again sometime, it's still great fun.

hwty.jpg

Another one that no longer dazzles me, but I remember the first few months with my 3DS were mindblowing.  I really like 3D and just couldn't believe my eyes.  These days it varies from game to game on how well the 3D effect is done. Every now and then I'll still try to grab the pencil on the Activity Log icon just to entertain myself.  It really looks like it's coming out of the screen from one angle.

Honourable Mentions:

Playing the Sonic Generations Unleashed Project at 60 FPS for the first time on my new PC.

Sonic Rush having actual vocal music on a handheld game.

BioShock's general prettiness when I played it for the first time on a 360.

Sonic Unleashed on 360 - same as Spin Attaxx lol.

Super Mario Galaxy - That opening sequence of running through the Star Festival was a PERFECT and magical was to introduce us to (at the time) next-gen Mario and made me feel like a kid all over again.

The game starts off easy enough, but towards the end, the opponents don't just get incredibly difficult to beat: THEY GET DIRTY! They body-check you all over the place and shove you into the electric fence and just DESTROY YOU. Beaeting the Striker Cup is a struggle I haven't pushed through yet.

Just as a tip, (and literally the only way I could get through it), if you back up your data to an SD card before every match, you can delete and restore the console's save data whenever you fail so you won't have to start the tournament from the beginning again.  You will lose your online play rankings by doing this if you have any nostalgic attachment to those, but otherwise it's so, so stress-relieving to not have to win the last 3 matches in a row.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fondest Next Gen Experience

Sometimes I reminisce about a simpler time. Just playing Sonic Mega Collection--er I mean Crash Nitro Kart on this old guy

369283-playstation-2.jpg?thumb=y

PlayStation 2.

Yes, most of my games were Sonic on the PS2 so bare with me here. Before PS2, I had a Game Boy Advance, so you could imagine my 8 year old childlike amazement from breaking away from 2D games and exploring a new 3D world. Games like Sonic Heroes, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Crash Nitro Kart, Backyard Wrestling, NBA Street, Shrek 2.....

like I said it was a simpler time.

DAY 11 OF PRESIDENT CROW BEING MAD @ VIDEO GAMES!

Eh. I got nothing.

persona-4-arena-review-1_zpsbea500b7.jpg

Fighting Rob Halford Yu in P4A

While I suppose this is all about skill between 2 players, there's no other game that made me rage so hard to the point its the only game I've ragequitted plenty of times. And its usually when I'm fighting this douche all the time. He's the balanced character of the game but he has plenty of strong options. Cross slash for aerial cross ups, Zio car for a fast charge move that hits low, and strong supers for anything. He also has good combo potential too. But I really hate fighting this character so yeah, I had nothing. UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 12: Fondest "Next Gen" Experience

...Admittedly, I'm not as fond of the game I'm about to mention as most people are, but it's still a really good game that blew me away in this context:

Galaxy51.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy (7th Generation)

So I rented Sunshine once and liked it well enough, but this was the first 3D Mario game I really played through and owned, and also one of the first games I got for the Wii. The game looked fantastic, the music was awesome, and there were so many cool moments that it kept me entertained from start to finish. To this day it's ending cutscenes are my favourite in any Mario game (that isn't an RPG). On top of all of that, it just felt like this huge platforming adventure, a feeling a game hadn't given me since the Sonic Adventure games.

It felt amazing.

...But once I beat the final boss, I found it hard to continue, and even replaying levels didn't interest me that much. It's mostly due to the gravity stuff feeling more awkward to me over time and the more gimmicky stuff being very tiring. It's weird because every other Mario game I've played didn't have that effect on me, where I couldn't really get into it's gameplay. At least I can fondly look back on my experience with Galaxy every once in a while...

Honourable Mentions

Handheld Gaming (in general, but starting with GBA): In all honesty, I'm a handheld (and PC) gamer at heart; I've always had more games on handhelds than home consoles, and they're generally more varied in genre at that. But yeah, when I first got a GameBoy Advance SP it blew my mind. I had only ever played computer games or on my Playstation/GameCube, so this thing was like, "Whoa, I can play games anywhere! Whoa!!!!" Okay, so I had seen GameBoys before, but actually having one...man.

Spyro 2 (5th Generation): Like I've mentioned before, first 3D platformer I played, so it had the same effect that Mario 64 probably had on a lot of people. Suddenly I wasn't just movin' and jumpinl around to the right and maybe sometimes the left, but in ANY DIRECTION! Sure, you had one direction to go in with the way the levels were designed, but at the same time things were so open, with side missions and lots of characters and just...wow. It basically set the standard I have for 3D platformers regarding context for levels and stuff (which was further developed by Sonic Adventure which not only had a reason for you to go through individual levels, but connected the levels together more clearly, rather than portals and stuff). In that aspect, it's a standard that platformers don't really reach these days. Eh.

Spider-Man 2 (6th Generation): It was the first open world game I played and it blew my mind, just swinging around the city and beating up thugs and stuff. I played the first movie game and thought it was just ok, but this got me invested in Spidey games. And I only ever rented it, never owned it. I kinda regret that these days. Oh well.

Day 12: Fondest Next Gen moment.

The console wasn't particularly new, I'd had my PS3 for a couple of years. Thing is, I'd never plugged in the HD cable till Christmas 2013. I set up the new Tv and thought what the hell. I plugged it in and played Assassins Creed 4. Wow. Just wow. Upping it to HD made lot of difference, the caribbean was gorgeous! The blue sea! The rotted wood! Every shiny texture stunned me. This was when Next gen really hit me. After it had already moved on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 12: "YOOOOOOOOOOOOO THIS IS SO AMAZING! YOU SEE THEM GRAPHICS??"

Alright, I'm gonna go way back on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1slHOqt-I

REN'S FONDEST NEXT-GEN EXPERIENCE: PLAYING THE PLAYSTATION FOR THE FIRST TIME (CRASH BANDICOOT 3: WARPED)

I was four when I first played a PlayStation. My only experience I had with video games was my parents' old NES (that I think was given to them as a present for me, since neither of my parents were video game nuts). Little old me had no idea what a Genesis or Super Nintendo was. Back to the story, all of a sudden, one day, my parents gave me this thing. I was like "what in the world is a PlayStation?!: The first game I had for it was Crash 3. Confused, I kinda popped it in because I definitely had no idea that CD games that weren't PC games were a thing. So I started playing and was greeted by...a video game in 3D??? I didn't even know such a thing could even happen. I was absolutely mesmerized by the graphics, but then again, anyone going from 8-bit straight to 3D would be. Seeing the characters moving in multiple directions other than left and right...it just fascinated me greatly.

Probably the other thing that mesmerized me the most was the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBYHDgRwQI

I wasn't used to hearing full, natural, CD-sounding songs in video games. Like I said, I made the jump from 8-bit straight to 3D. The soundtrack just stuck with me for a long time because of that sense of wonder. To this day, I always feel good while playing Crash 3. It's still one of my favorite games of all time.

Day 12: Fondest Next Gen Experience

...please don't make fun of me

Wii_Sports_Europe.jpgtwilight-princess-box-art.jpg

Let me tell you a thing

wii-bad-for-gaming.jpg

This blew my mind when I finally got my hands on it.

tumblr_lxex7dyEgn1r8c3cdo1_500.png

Twilight Princess and Wii Sports were the first games I had for the Wii, and, yes, I know that since then motion technology has improved drastically, and that Twilight Princess' sword-swinging motion controls didn't amount to much beyond waggling, but it didn't matter at the time, because the entire experience was wrapped together so nicely, and with the hype of having a new console coupled with a completely different way to play a video game, I just didn't see the flaws. And honestly, I don't think it's non-salvageable.

I still think motion controls, when implemented well within proper context, can be the definitive control method for certain games; and sports simulation games like Wii Sports and games with pointing mechanics are good examples for that. Not as a replacement to traditional gaming controllers, but as a compliment to them. 

But really, we're here to talk about how this was a next-gen experience. It was just so new and fresh that my mind was racing with possibilities on what you could do with the remote+nunchuck combo. A bow and arrow? A steering wheel? A fishing rod? The reason that the Wii is my choice for being my favorite "next gen" experience is because it's the first time I've ever thought about the potential of gaming, rather than sitting around and waiting for them to come out with another Mario or Sonic to keep me happy. I genuinely wanted to see more. I actually think the Wii is what turned me into a Nintendo enthusiast rather than just a guy who happened to own a Nintendo console because that's where all the Sonic games were going for the most part. 

So yeah. Viva la Wii. I hope that the "motion-control gimmick" doesn't die out, but improves and renovates upon itself. It's too viable a control method to just let waste away on the side. I actually liken it to touch-screen controls. It's not useful for all games, but it was able to take fire and become the primary tool for gaming on the go with smart-phones. I feel similarly about Kinect and Move, but they need a lot of refining to do in order for me to defend them in any way. I see the potential, but the technology isn't advanced enough yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 12 - Mambo's Fondest Next Gen Experience

I've been playing games since the 90s... so there have been plenty of "next gen" moments for me. For instance, the moment I saw Sonic 1 on my friend's Mega Drive; the glorious pixelated animation, the speed, the music, the cute widdle things Sonic would do if you stopped to smell the pixelated roses! biggrin.png It instantly hooked me on both the game series and Sonic stuff in general. So that's a pretty big "next gen" experience, since before then I was playing games on an Amstrad C464 with cassette tapes. biggrin.png

After that, the next leap was from Meggy Dwive to PlayStation, which is a pretty big one considering I didn't have; Mega CD, 32x, Saturn or the PS1's rival the Dreamcast.... so to see this start up was an enormous "wow!" moment;

It doesn't seem like much, especially compared to the power of today's consoles and PCs but this sound will always evoke in me an eerie but nostalgic feeling. I associate this sound mostly with Tomb Raider since it was my first game and that in itself was also a feeling of wonder at what this new generation of machines could accomplish.

Since then I have had; Xbox, PS2, Gamecube (well, my stepdad's but he hardly used it!), 360, PS3 and I use Steam on my lappy... so with each one the  next-gen "wow" factor hasn't been as dramatic, but I'm still impressed with what these machines can do.

Day 12 - Fondest "Next Gen Experience"

ebXJQe0.jpg

My fondest next-gen experience would probably be with Super Smash Bros. Melee. I remember finally getting around to buying a Gamecube just to get my hands on this game, and it was definitely a worthwhile decision. The game was basically the original Super Smash Bros. amped up to 11, and it made that clear from the start with it's brand new (at the time) FMV cutscene, which I still enjoy watching to this day whenever I come back to this game. There were new characters, new stages, new items, new music, new modes, new attacks, faster paced gameplay, re-balancing the old cast and more, making it more than a worthy sequel to the original. I don't know how much time I put into this game, whether it was playing through the plethora of single player modes trying to unlock everything this game had hidden away in it, or beating down my friends and family because I am a horrible person who mained Fox. The sheer amount that this game had to offer made it the best introduction to a new console to me, and there hasn't been anything that's had the same effect on me since.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 12

Eh, I've got nothing. RE-USE

20130901020112!BlazBlue_Calamity_Trigger

BlazBlue Calamity Trigger is the first game in the series, so I'm not really talking about the series as a whole. This was the first game I got my hands on and the first fighting game I actually got invested in. As a newer generation of Arc fighters, I guess this counts. Again, what pulled me in were music, characters and design.

DAY 11 OF PRESIDENT CROW BEING MAD @ VIDEO GAMES!

Eh. I got nothing.

persona-4-arena-review-1_zpsbea500b7.jpg

Fighting Rob Halford Yu in P4A

While I suppose this is all about skill between 2 players, there's no other game that made me rage so hard to the point its the only game I've ragequitted plenty of times. And its usually when I'm fighting this douche all the time. He's the balanced character of the game but he has plenty of strong options. Cross slash for aerial cross ups, Zio car for a fast charge move that hits low, and strong supers for anything. He also has good combo potential too. But I really hate fighting this character so yeah, I had nothing. UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

Why thank you for the compliments <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 12:

Getting my hands on a GameCube. That lovely little start thing with the cube, I remember seeing that for the first time and being able to slightly move it... It was like a look into the future for me... I watched my brother play for a bit. I remember having both Pokémon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness, which were some of the first Pokémon games I played. I was stunned at how pretty they were at the time, and the battles were cool and fun. I played other games after, including the SA remakes for GameCube. Then I got games like Pac-Man World 2 and really got enjoying myself with the console. I still own all of my original GameCube games and more, and play them to this date. Probably because how much they blew me away at the time.