Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

The framerate can't always keep up with a large amount of parts being sliced everywhere, but it's still a really cool and unique feature that helps make Metal Gear Rising so great.

Ha! You reminded me the first time I fought Monsoon and he started throwing tanks at me and since I had unlimited Blade Mode (Jack mode during the whole fight, because story reasons) I could chop and chop and chop and chop... I think I stopped after my combo reached 500 or 300 things because I was afraid my PC was going to get fried of how slow everything was getting.

Awesome stress reliever tho! biggrin.png

Day 8 - Favorite Ability

I'm gonna go with the gravity powers from Gravity Rush for this one.

FWXXJlC.jpg

Thanks to the mysterious black cat Dusty, Kat has the power to manipulate gravity. And what can she do with this powers? Well, shifting gravity in any speed or direction to float and fall is a given, but by controling gravity she can also fly, lift and throw objects and being able to walk on any surface. Kat is also able to mix physical attacks with her gravity manipulation to do stuff like gravity kicks and gravity slides.

This powers can also be used to create micro black holes and turn her and Dusty into a panther-like creature.

While the game needed some tweaks here and there, being able to do all this stuff and exploring the open world was one of the most fun experiences I had in a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, not if you got a horse or different method of transportation, but not counting that then yeah, what Discoid said. :v

Brace yourself, friend.

DOD_ENTRY_Rolling_Through_Time_2f936eaf1

You'll be seeing a whoooooole lot of this. 

I did that in Twilight Princess until my friend pointed out that there was actually no speed difference between that and jogging. From then on out, I did it just for the placebo effect. ;-;

Well, not if you got a horse or different method of transportation, but not counting that then yeah, what Discoid said. :v

Oh yeah, Epona made things better......

TOO BAD HER TURNING WAS ATROCIOUS--

I am getting so frustrated and I haven't even played Twilight Princess since beating it. Christ.

Brace yourself, friend.

DOD_ENTRY_Rolling_Through_Time_2f936eaf1

You'll be seeing a whoooooole lot of this. 

At least in the 3DS version you don't stop after rolling, doing that in the original actually made me feel slower..

Dat clunky N64 horse do

Day 8 - Favourite Ability

Toughie, again.

SuperMegaBuster.jpg

The Charge Shot is a staple of many games, but Mega Man's the game I use it most in. There's nothing quite as satisfying as building up a fully charged shot, then letting it rip and clearing a huge path of enemies. Some games, such as space ship shooters, even let you increase the power of the damn thing, and in those games getting a screen clearing super laser of death is one of the joys of life.

Slightly short answer, but like I said, this one was difficult! :P

Oh my god, Nepenthe just reminded me of something.  I had the opposite experience of missing something in Skyward Sword that was in Twilight Princess.

Swinging your sword while running.

Without a doubt the greatest ability they added in TP was being able to casually swing your sword around while running.  It's super fun to cut down grass.  You can kill small enemies nonchalantly like "bitch, please".  You can whack a bigger enemy round the ear while running off without breaking stride before turning around and doing it again.  It was the absolute best.  I cannot believe it was not a mainstay.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day Numbero 8 New Leaf: Ninja's "Kamis pick couldnt even help him cross a fence" Favourite Ability Ever!

now, since the last time we did this thing, I came to a realisation, a realisation that in all Video Game History ever, there is really only one move you will need

The Parry

now here listen to this here equation I came up with

Parry + anything = Awesome

I mean look

Street Fighter Third Strike: Parries? Check, Awesome? Check!

Kingdom Hearts: Parries? Check, Awesome? Fairly cool, yes, Check!

and lastly , Metal GearRising Revengeance: Parries? Check, Awesome? Oh you better fucking belive, Check.

just the idea of being able to Parry a Huge possibly deadly move, with a silver lining of health left and then unleashing a counter attack and give yourself breathing room to Heal, all in the Heat of Battle, its Awesome!

Revengeance is probably one of my favourite examples of this Ability, Leg Swings from Metal Gears, Sword Strikes, Giga Drill Breaker like attacks, the Wrath of the U.S.A. there is a ton of stuff you can parry, its fucking Great!

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 8: Favorite Ability

The spinner in Twilight Princess, hands down. I know Twilight Princess isn't the most loved Zelda out there, but when it got something right, it hit it out of the park. The spinner is something it got right. Using this thing was a blast, and it was fun. I'd imagine that Link himself wasn't too bored with it, either.

5u97.gif

"Nice try!"

Witch Time From Bayonetta

Now, other hack-n-slashes/beat-em-ups just use dodging as a way to get out of the way of attacks and keep the pace going. But Bayonetta turns dodging into an offensive gameplay mechanic by weaponizing it. See, if you dodge just before an attack hits you, Bayonetta will go into Witch Time, slowing down all enemies around her without any loss of her speed, making it very easy to get a leg up on them. The combat is built around this mechanic a lot of the time and it's just so satisfying to do that well-timed dodge and then destroy your enemies. It's just super fun. 

• Thumbs Up 6

My Favourite Ability:

I'm going to go with, seeing as I'm quite a fan of the games, Spider-Man's web swinging.

I think it's a really cool, fun way of exploring and getting around. Especially games that have done it well, like Spider-Man 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. These games where it has you need a building to be able to swing, or you'll just fall. Sure, the swinging from the sky may be easier, but I just get a better sense of realism and control with needing a building. It's much better to control, going around corners and things. But anyway, I just think they're really cool when done right, and I love playing Spidey games just to explore the cities and make it look cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 8 - Favorite Ability

I already talked about Okami's Celestial Brush last time, and while that hasn't changed as being my favourite ability, for the sake of having something different to talk about, I'll go with another one I'm pretty fond of.

DMC4_Drive.jpg

Screenshot is a bit generic because there's no real way to show off what I'm talking about, but I'm going with Style/Weapon Switching from Devil May Cry 3/4. Each weapon and style in these games made you have to play completely differently to how you would have to play if you had a different weapon or style equipped. While you still had a lot to work with even if you were relegated to one style and a few weapon at a time without having to navigate through several menus, it sometimes felt a bit limiting being stuck to one set for a whole mission. The ability to switch these in real time however, completely changed this. It allowed you much more freedom with your combat options, having the mobility of the Trickster style, the comboing potential with the Swordmaster style, the ranged capabilities of the Gunslinger style and more all at the same time, which allowed you to be prepared for anything that could be thrown at you, making for both varied and well flowing combat.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, honestly, I can't pick only one.

So.

Kick_Dive_KH3D.gif

FLOWMOTION

Look at that shizz.

Just look at it.

Is that not the coolest thing you've seen in your life.

FlowMotion is what made Kingdom Hearts 3D for me. Just being able to dash and fly around giant areas, grinding and bouncing off of walls like Sonic the Hedgehog himself, swinging off of poles, it's just...it's just so much fun. I'd even say it's a bit of a shame it won't be returning for KH3, though I suppose it is a little overpowered. Either way, FlowMotion is awesome.

InhaleKSSU.png

KIRBY'S KIRBINESS

Yeah, pretty much what Indy said. Kirby's copy ability is one of the coolest things ever and it's a big part of what makes the Kirby games so much fun. I love it.

X2_xdash.jpg

1321985658_link.png

DASHING/RUNNING/DODGING

Putting all three of these together because they kind of go hand in hand. Also, no specific image for dodging because Google Images stopped working for me all of a sudden.

Anyway, I guess having good maneuverability is something I generally value a lot in games. It really can add a lot of satisfaction to the experience to feel like you're...well...moving. I don't really know how to elaborate on this one - it seems so essential, and yet when you play some games that don't let you do it, you realize how much you take it for granted. Every game should let you run or dash somehow.

Every. Single. One. Please.

Dodging isn't quite as essential, but it's always very helpful and can even be really awesome to pull off if you do it well. I guess a particular example of this would probably be Kid Icarus: Uprising, where it pretty much is essential.

So yeah.

• Thumbs Up 2

Favorite Ability? Hm.... never really thought about that... but I guess I'm gonna have to go with my favorite abilities in 3d platformers

First off, this shit right here is amazing

SM3DL-Mario_Backwards_Somersault_Artwork

Somersaults. It's probably not even physically and gravitally possible. (Is that a word? Gravitally? eh,) But it's an amazing jump that gets you to high places and even helps defeat bosses like King Boo in SM64DS.

Here's another ability often taken for granted

180px-Wall_Jump.jpg The_wall_jump.png mega-man-x-wall-slide.png ninja%20kirby.JPG

FUCKING WALL JUMPING.

It feels so good to do, in whatever game you're playing. The ones above aren't even half the games you can wall jump in, there's Super Meat Boy, N, Rayman, Metroid, the list goes ON. It's an iconic gaming staple, for all platformers.

Also Kirby's inhale and that Long Jump Mario does in 64 is cool, if only to glitch and keep making him say "YAHOO!"

• Thumbs Up 3

@-Benderamy- The Grapnel is just gonna get more awesome in Arkham Knight. Just. You. Wait.

I wanted to say Wisps really badly and yet again I contained myself..hoping it'll pay off...so for my first repeat game...

Favourite ability: Shotlock(KH: Birth by sleep)

Lightbloom_KHBBS.gif

I mean just look at that..is'nt it just satisfying to land it and do loads of damage to a boss or enemies? And when you let one fly they're cinematic in a different way. Yes there are duds but loads of these really look creative and mesmerizing to watch. The oomph is just not in using but also landing and how wonderful it looks as it hits..hard and fast. It's especially gratifying in Terra's tough endbosses where building up focus for your shotlock is your best shot to get loads of damage to the enemy or get slaughtered. It's such a wonderful ability which I hope will return in KHIII but based on news it's kinda doubtful. But man can you feel every hit and the rush you get on the enemy.

Despite having only played Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, I gotta give it to the Gravity Suit.

Gravitysuit.gif

Metroid_Fusion__Gravity_Suit_by_gineko.j

Who knew the color purple could look so badass on Samus. This beauty is all in the name: defy gravity by travelling into extreme or unsuitable environments for normal movement. Thus, by the time you get it, Samus can travel back to earlier locations to explore and discover a whole new slew of pathways, items, and upgrades. This is the epitome of backtracking made fun in video games: getting a power up that adds new dimension to areas and making you actually want to visit them again to see what lies in store.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 8 - Favourite ability

kh3d-riku-flowmotion-1.jpg

Flowmotion - Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

Flowmotion is so awesome. Being able to fly around everywhere with it makes it a very quick game. The attacks you can execute with them are very powerful in combat which makes them great for weakening enemies before finishing them off. I also really like how many options it opens up for you right at the start of the game so you're not just left with your basic A+A+A attack. It doesn't take long before you can pull of more tricks in the game, but its still very nice. My personal favourite one is the attack you can execute when grinding on a rail, which hits multiple times and does plenty of damage.

468px-Blade_mode_basic-1.jpg

Blade Mode - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Has ANYONE else mentioned this yet? Because blade mode is seriously amazing! One of the best things about MGR was how flashy and overblown everything is, and nothing is a better example than Blade Mode! While its only really useful as a finishing move for most enemies, its the most awesome gimmick in the entire game. You basically go into the Matrix and slice up your enemies piece by piece, and if you do it right you can get a chance to snag some free health.

MZM_Norfair_Screw_Attack.gif

Screwattack - Metroid

The Screwattack is a staple of the Metroid series, and my favourite ability in Samus' arsenal. You usually get it late in your adventure, but its all made up for. It kills practically ANY enemy in one shot, leaves you invincible, and when combined with the Space Jump it pretty much breaks the entire game.

From the games I have played..., maybe the Power of Dominance from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. I liked how it allowed Soma to steal the souls of his enemies and be able to convert them into new abilities. Sure Kirby has a similar power, but Soma gets the *essence* of his enemies, even Death cannot escape from Soma's Power of Dominance.

Man, forgive me but I'm pulling another answer from supa mayro bruhs, in fact it's from the same game as yesterday even, but yeah, apologies n' whatnot.

Flutter Kick - New Super Luigi U

uEc1QJp.jpg

I'll admit, it's a pretty basic move, you just hold the jump button for as long as you can, but man that's the beauty of it, to me at least. Depending on how good your timing is, you can get some big air, and bound across levels with ease. I also like how it's integrated into the level design, so you need to get pretty familiar with it if you want to get past some of the challenges the game has in store for you. And man I don't know what it is, but there's just something so satisfying about clearing a long distance in just a few jumps. Man it's simple, but I love using it, so yeah, there ya go.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm gonna have to go with the Altered Beast "Power Up!" power up, y'know, the one that 'ALTERS' you into a 'BEAST' (clever, right?). Mostly due to nostalgia and hilarity. Seriously, the sound effect when you pick it up just get me every time. The awful 'voice acting' really hits the spot here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJ4oRJ2f64

Also that dragon you turn into in the second stage is OP as shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Star Spin from Super Mario Galaxy: 

super-mario-galaxy-stars-1.jpg

tumblr_mwjnofyP2o1t03qt3o1_500.png

This is definitely one of my favorite moves to use in a video game. It does appear in Mario 3D world, and it's fun there, but really, it's the best in the Galaxy Series because you do it with a flick of the Wii remote. There's like, no starting lag when you activate it and it's one of the more responsive motion-sensor related moves on the Wii, and it's not really possible to accidentally do it. It's super-satisfying to pull it off and it's incredibly versatile. It's effectively a double jump, it's an attack that can kill or stun, it can flip switches, and can even alter the entire level each time you perform it. It has a visible cooldown that is easy to understand so you can't spam it. It's just such a smart move that feels fantastic to use. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8: Favorite Videogame Ability.

It's hard to really look at my favorite videogame abilities in terms of what they add to the game.  I could be talking about them for hours if that were the case. People have been answering things like the copy ability from Kirby or Mega Man, or jumping in Mario, but these games are so tightly designed around those mechanics that I almost don't think about them when actually playing. That's why I'd like to base my choice entirely on ones that feel satisfying to use.

Super Move: Skies of Arcadia.

NCU0Jqy.jpg

This is a weird choice. You don't even really manually control anything, you just choose to use it and watch it play out. But these animations are permanently etched into my mind. Other great RPG's like Bravely Default and the Tales series have really memorable supers as well. I guess this counts as a blanket statement about special moves in RPGs but the ones in Skies of Arcadia are my favorite because you really feel the tide of battle turning in your favor, complete with music cues when you have more health than the enemy. 

I actually don't play a lot of JRPGs but I've always loved how, because of their cinematic nature, super moves are completely unrestricted by normal videogame mechanics. They're just really fun to watch- it's such a "YEAH!" moment.

Honorable Mentions

Present Evidence: Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney.

hrQBuFq.png

I'm not even sure this counts, but dammit I'm running with it. Ace Attorney is mostly a game where you...don't do a whole lot. You just read dialogue and answer questions while you're in the courtroom. It doesn't sound very fun, but it is, because the writing is usually very interesting and the player is forced to pay attention if they don't want to face any penalties from the judge.

During a cross examination, you usually have the choice of pressing the witness or presenting evidence when they contradict themselves. This is how you "win" at the game. Every time you chip away at a witness' (or killer's) lies, you're getting closer and closer to a not-guilty verdict. And when you present the right piece of evidence, the music briefly stops as your character shouts "Objection!". Surely this is the sound of progress.

Backstab: Team Fortress 2

WfDxEjB.jpg

Let me throw this out there; I'm a terrible Spy, and I hate fighting these bastards. But there are few things more satisfying than backstabbing the big motherhubbard who's been tearing your entire team a structurally superfluous new behind. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Favorite ability, you ask?

This is a tough one. There are so many good and helpful abilities characters have been given in order to help players make it through their respective games. But which one do I find the best? Well, I can't tell you which one I like the best, but I can list a few I really like;

In no particular order;

Soulsurgesonicpart2.png

Soul Surge  - Sonic and the Black Knight

Brought on when you have enough energy in your Soul Gauge, it involves Sonic running at the blazing speed he is known for. Good for quickly getting through levels. And if there are any enemies in your path, you will dispatch of them quickly, most with just a single swing of Caliburn. Plus, it just looks freaking cool.

200px-Yoshi_Flutter_Jump_Artwork.png

Flutter Jump  - Mario series

I know that picture makes it look hilarious, but the Flutter Jump, one of the main moves used by Yoshi is many of the games he's in, is actually really damn useful when it comes to platforming. Missed a platform? No problem, just Flutter Jump to a lower one and you get a second chance. And in the Yoshi's Island games, if you jump on an enemy's head before performing one, your Flutter Jump will actually get extra lift. Really useful in getting items.

Supernova_PM2.jpg

Supernova - Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door

First off, my apologies for the crappy picture - I couldn't find a better one. ^^;; Also, ignore the 'tap A' - you have to freaking mash that thing. But, if you manage to fill up all the gauges (yeah, there are multiples), you get a move that can deal a massive (at least for this game) fifteen points of damage and can pierce defense. That's more than enough to kill most normal enemies.

Too bad you get it so late in the game. =<

Also, I have to give an honorable mention to any game that includes wall jumping in it. Because wall jumping is awesome.

Edit:

Present Evidence: Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney.

hrQBuFq.png

I'm not even sure this counts, but dammit I'm running with it. Ace Attorney is mostly a game where you...don't do a whole lot. You just read dialogue and answer questions while you're in the courtroom. It doesn't sound very fun, but it is, because the writing is usually very interesting and the player is forced to pay attention if they don't want to face any penalties from the judge.

During a cross examination, you usually have the choice of pressing the witness or presenting evidence when they contradict themselves. This is how you "win" at the game. Every time you chip away at a witness' (or killer's) lies, you're getting closer and closer to a not-guilty verdict. And when you present the right piece of evidence, the music briefly stops as your character shouts "Objection!". Surely this is the sound of progress.

Also this thing. Not much of an 'ability' but damn is it satisfying to hear your character shout "OBJECTION!" as the music comes to a stop.

• Thumbs Up 3

Two for 1 here:

Day 7: Least Favorite Level

Jersey Devil: mostly anything from beyond the toxic factory levels...

mqdefault.jpg

Jersey Devil is a pretty promising game. It plays like Crash Bandicoot, has big levels, tons of exploration and pretty graphics. It even has a nice hub-world... but everything starts to turn into shit when you reach half of the game... Unforgiving platforming, the most annoying gimmicks and over-powered enemies. I also dislike factory, ship, and sewer level trope, but that's just me.

It's a fun game tho, but only the first two or three worlds.

FLY.

I like any game that has the fly ability, even if I have to use a cheat to achieve it. It's just awesome, because I really wish I had this ability in real life biggrin.png

Any Dragon Ball game is a great example:

hqdefault.jpg

Even GTA SA, with the flying car cheat, or the flying CJ mods:

hqdefault.jpg

---

But if you want an especific game, here goes:

Destroy All Humans: the telekinesis powers! Aka, moving shit with your mind.

destroy-all-humans-20050620070449166.jpg

DAH is an awesome game, and so is the sequel. You can move a lot of stuff with your mind power, including people, animals, cars, street signs, almost everything you can imagine. It's hillarious to mess around, especially when you use a car to hit someone, or sent people flying in the air! You grab things by holding down a button, and move them with the right analog, it's really easy and fast to move into any direction.

TBH, all abilities in this game are awesome, incluing the weapons and jetpack! I recommend.