Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed Vs. Sonic Unwiished; Which version do you prefer?

Willsy

The topic is Unleashed vs. Unwiished. Ergo, not relevant. The fact that Unleashed Project is similar to Colours (in your mind) has no bearing on the discussion.

AH, but Colors is related to something that YOU said, in response to something I said that was on topic.

AH, but Colors is related to something that YOU said, in response to something I said that was on topic.

No. You generalized this person's opinion about an Unleashed-based mod in order to make an assumption about their feelings on Colors- a game they admitted they haven't even played- and despite them having no real opinion on it partly as a result, you keep trying to press this weirdly-mangled point when it's obvious they and no one else wants to talk about it. Just stop it. You are off-topic and hilariously so. If you want to sing Colors' praises, find a Colors-centric topic or go to the status updates.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Unwiished is literally the most putrid piece of shit I have ever had the misfortune to waste my money on. Ever. Sonic 06 is Sonic 2 compared to it. The Werehog was an absolute chore in Unwiished, each set of levels lasted way too long and there were too many of them. I will never understand people who though SD Werehog was better - do you find watching paint dry fun too?

The life cap is also a pain in the arse, especially with Unwiished's final boss. I don't mind the day stages, but there barely any, so it fails on that front too.

Basically, fuck Unwiished to hell. It's a miserable mess that I can only barely consider a Sonic game due to the sheer amount of Werehog gameplay in it.

In general the Wii had a bad run with Sonic games - Secret Rings was BAD, Black Knight is also a game I find far worse than 06 ever could be, and Colours felt like Sonic Unleashed injected with 2D up the wazoo, bollocks level design and shitty control mapping.

The way Sonic feels to me in Generations when moving feels off in places. I don't feel as confident making jumps and handling in the air. Indeed, I've been killed more by the mid-air handling, subpar jump, and tiny platforms in Generations than I have across all of the Day Stages combined, even the ones with a heavier platforming focus. There's also the fact that the boost doesn't feel as satisfying to use, probably as a result of different things: a potential speed-cap, fewer camera moves, and perhaps even different sound effects? There's small but noticeable tweaks in there to me that makes Sonic just feel less powerful, so he's not nearly as gratifying to use. It's like gameplay Uncanny Valley; close but not quite. As a result, the Generations mod does nothing for me on even a mechanical level because it feels like a less impressive, censored, and stripped version of the original Unleashed.

Ah, I see what you mean, at least regarding how the boost "feels". It's part of the reason I like the Fixing Generations Forever mod; the boost gradually speeds up the longer you use it (plus there's a lot of other modifications, such as the jump dash working more like how it did in Unleashed).

Shame Modern's jumping animation is broken in the most recent release of it. :/

Anyway wow, how about that UnWiished???

I think what makes the day stages in particular less impressive is the weird boosting mechanic. The temporary boost of speed doesn't even sound bad on paper, but good luck controlling it. Even ignoring that, frankly, it would've been just fine if they had just gone with a boost like the HD version. It wouldn't have automatically improved everything but it would have been one less thing for me to groan about, so there's that!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't this topic already made?

Anywayz, I pick the HD version.

The gameplay is just here than it is in the SD version.  I find the levels to be much more entertaining (though nothing can be done about the Werehog. I both version, it's pretty much the poor man's God of War)

The hub worlds in the HD version are least full-rendered.  In fact, I think these hubs are better than Sonic Adventure's.  I would mention the graphics but y'know.  NO FREAKIN' DUH THEY'RE BETTER.

I will concede that the SD version has superior level design in more places than the HD version (Hell, I think Cool Edge is way better in the SD version) but that's more in terms of the alternate pathways, not so much entertainment-value.  It can really bland sometimes, especially with the nerfed boost.

I understand the reasons why (mostly), but it still baffles me how the SD version got better critical reception than the HD version.  It wasn't just IGN either. I think only 1UP.com got it right.  Then again critical scores have always be kinda wonky when it comes to Sonic.

Eh, Colours was still pretty scaled down in terms of excitement compared to Unleashed HD. Hell half the reason for fluffing it out with colour powers and reusing geometry across multiple acts is probably because the system couldn't handle levels as long as Unleashed while being as complex as Unleashed HD in particular. See also: 2D 2D 2D everywhereeee.

Colours used neither the Hedgehog engine nor the Unleashed HD style of level design.

No really, that last point is so very, very true. Why do people think Colours level design is like Unleashed HD? It's not at all!

Welcome_to_the_Aquarium_Park.jpg

The 3D areas are wide, barren stretches of nothingness, and the 2D areas mundane, blocky platforming.

Fair point. I only associate "The Hedgehog Engine" with the graphics (which is how it was marketed, last I checked), not gameplay. In my defense, based on what I observed about Unleashed HD and seeing the vast improved Colors was over the Daytime segments of Unleashed SD, the gameplay struck me as similar. In hindsight, most of the platforming in Colors was limited to the 2D segments and the 3D areas were mostly boost-hallways, I suppose, but they seemed livelier than what I experienced in Unleashed SD's 3D segments.

That's just me though.

Re: WiiS2 being rated higher than PS360 in general reviews

I think it's just the fact that the WiiS2 version is easier.  You get to go fast without much getting in the way of it.  Unleashed is just one of those games where it is most fun once you're good at it, you have to put the effort in.  That is of course, not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, but to games reviewers who only have so many hours to sink into each game to judge it, they have to go by what's presented to them.

But no matter whether you did enjoy Unleashed HD once you got good at it, you can't defend the fact that there are games that are also difficult but which invite you to learn how to play.  Unleashed isn't one, with important tips and tricks (like how you can just hold down B to grab stuff as soon as it comes in range as the Werehog) that should be given upfront tucked away as rewards for giving Professor Pickle souvenirs if you're lucky, and other ones (like "don't fucking hold down boost all the time") being required to be passed around through word of mouth.

The WiiS2 version never hides any of its control intricacies.  Unfortunately there isn't much depth to the controls though.

Re: WiiS2 being rated higher than PS360 in general reviews

I think it's just the fact that the WiiS2 version is easier.  You get to go fast without much getting in the way of it.  Unleashed is just one of those games where it is most fun once you're good at it, you have to put the effort in.  That is of course, not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, but to games reviewers who only have so many hours to sink into each game to judge it, they have to go by what's presented to them.

But no matter whether you did enjoy Unleashed HD once you got good at it, you can't defend the fact that there are games that are also difficult but which invite you to learn how to play.  Unleashed isn't one, with important tips and tricks (like how you can just hold down B to grab stuff as soon as it comes in range as the Werehog) that should be given upfront tucked away as rewards for giving Professor Pickle souvenirs if you're lucky, and other ones (like "don't fucking hold down boost all the time") being required to be passed around through word of mouth.

The WiiS2 version never hides any of its control intricacies.  Unfortunately there isn't much depth to the controls though.

To add to this, the WiiS2 version didn't have the Medal collecting in order to unlock the next stage and the shorter, but more numerous Werehog stages could have created the illusion that the Werehog sections feel like they go by quicker.

and the shorter, but more numerous Werehog stages could have created the illusion that the Werehog sections feel like they go by quicker.

This is possibly true, though the 100% rate of caged-in fights sure broke the illusion for me.

To add to this, the WiiS2 version didn't have the Medal collecting in order to unlock the next stage and the shorter, but more numerous Werehog stages could have created the illusion that the Werehog sections feel like they go by quicker.

That seems to be the opposite of how a lot of people felt.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fair point. I only associate "The Hedgehog Engine" with the graphics (which is how it was marketed, last I checked), not gameplay. In my defense, based on what I observed about Unleashed HD and seeing the vast improved Colors was over the Daytime segments of Unleashed SD, the gameplay struck me as similar. In hindsight, most of the platforming in Colors was limited to the 2D segments and the 3D areas were mostly boost-hallways, I suppose, but they seemed livelier than what I experienced in Unleashed SD's 3D segments.

That's just me though.

To clarify, the Hedgehog Engine is a graphics engine. It's got nothing to do with the gameplay. Colours doesn't use the it like Unleashed HD does, and in an unrelated matter, the way the levels are laid out and designed in an entirely different way to Unleashed HD as well.

Colours 3D sections are as bland and empty as Unleashed Wii's, the only different being that they are far fewer in number. It's just that this is something that's thrown around a lot, and it baffles me as it's nothing more than blind Unleashed Wii bashing ans Colours praising.

To clarify, the Hedgehog Engine is a graphics engine. It's got nothing to do with the gameplay. Colours doesn't use the it like Unleashed HD does, and in an unrelated matter, the way the levels are laid out and designed in an entirely different way to Unleashed HD as well.

Colours 3D sections are as bland and empty as Unleashed Wii's, the only different being that they are far fewer in number. It's just that this is something that's thrown around a lot, and it baffles me as it's nothing more than blind Unleashed Wii bashing ans Colours praising.

I tend to see people associate the Hedgehog Engine with gameplay for whatever reason, so in all likelihood, I misread what you said. Sorry about that.

My praise for Colors is only because there appeared to be some effort put into the gameplay, something that SD version of Unleashed lacked in its Daytime stages for me. In hindsight, yeah, the 3D sections of Colors do suffer from the same issues as Unleashed SD's Daytime stages, but my first impression of Colors seemed like it was closer to Unleashed HD in terms of gameplay. But I suppose only seeing the latter (which was a few years ago now) in action as opposed to playing it myself bit me in the ass.

I got the Wii version first, but thats because I never heard or seen the HD. I enjoyed the Wii version but shaking the wii mote to do the homing attack was dumb. I got this game for christmas on the same year it came out. after beating the game and stopped playing it. I never looked back at it for a long time. not on the internet, even youtube. During the hype of Sonic generations, the boost was super fast, and I was thinking how much it improved from the last two games. Even though Sonic colors had boosting it was no were near HD unleashed and generations. 

sometime in 2011 it was my first time giving HD unleashed a look. (I know I seen bits of it before on the internet but it was a short glimpse and i pay no attention to it.)  I wondered why I bought the crap version. HD unleashed Beats Wii version in a heartbeat. I tried the demo and i loved it. It was fast and it felt great, after that I had to try out the game. Even the werehog levels were fun. The wii version was just to much work constantly shaking when battling the enemies and you guys know how much fuckers are out there at night. HD controlled well, except the platforming parts. it was pretty annoying but still better than the Wii version.

At the time, the Wii version felt new and fresh to me and was really excited to play a new sonic game. So it was not that bad for its own game, but comparing it to HD, Total crap.

So yea, thats my thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well - the only thing I hold in regard for UnWiished is the lack of needing to grind for Sun and Moon medals. Aside from that... Urm... Well...

Yeah - I got nothing.

I tend to see people associate the Hedgehog Engine with gameplay for whatever reason, so in all likelihood, I misread what you said. Sorry about that.

My praise for Colors is only because there appeared to be some effort put into the gameplay, something that SD version of Unleashed lacked in its Daytime stages for me. In hindsight, yeah, the 3D sections of Colors do suffer from the same issues as Unleashed SD's Daytime stages, but my first impression of Colors seemed like it was closer to Unleashed HD in terms of gameplay. But I suppose only seeing the latter (which was a few years ago now) in action as opposed to playing it myself bit me in the ass.

Your feelings about Colours vs Unleashed WiiS2 do make sense.  While Colours doesn't use the same graphics engine as Unleashed HD, it does appear to use (or at least mimick very well) the same game engine.  Sonic's handling between WiiS2 and HD Unleashed were wildly different, in Colours, he controls the same as he did in Unleashed HD, though a bit slower and less slippy for all that platforming.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that, as Blue Blood said, the Colours LEVEL DESIGNS were as boring as Unleashed WiiS2 regarding the 3D sections in particular.

I thought the 3D portions in Sonic Colours were a lot more interesting than in Unwiished. There weren't many of them and they were mostly really short but hey, I enjoyed them because they look purty. See Planet Wisp. 8I

Can I also add that Sonic Generations' 3D portions were also barren and mostly boosting areas? Why does nobody ever mention those?

...was the mdeal system really that bad? Coincidentally, I downloaded Unleashed again for my PS3 and replayed it on a new account for the full, fresh experience and the only place that told me I had insufficient medals was Jungle Joyride.

It's not as if it's hard to get more medals. Just go mill around the hub worlds and entrance stages for a bit and you'll have more than enough. You're going to be going through these places throughout the game, anyway, so just take a minute or two to go and get them. They're in the most obvious of places.

I understand it's a tad tedious and is just there to pad out the game (thus unecessary), but unless you're deliberately missing every single medal you can find you'll only ever have to be faced with the insufficient medal message a couple of times. It's a bit pointless, but it's not game breaking to the point that I'd have to take a few months hiatus from the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Your feelings about Colours vs Unleashed WiiS2 do make sense.  While Colours doesn't use the same graphics engine as Unleashed HD, it does appear to use (or at least mimick very well) the same game engine.  Sonic's handling between WiiS2 and HD Unleashed were wildly different, in Colours, he controls the same as he did in Unleashed HD, though a bit slower and less slippy for all that platforming.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that, as Blue Blood said, the Colours LEVEL DESIGNS were as boring as Unleashed WiiS2 regarding the 3D sections in particular.

Honestly, I'd argue that Colours still controls more like a refine Unleashed Wii than it does Unleashed HD. But'ts a matter of opinion I guess. Either way, Colours is built off of the storybook engine. It's closest relative I believe is Black Knight, while there's also some similarities to Generations in the files (implying that they shared some of their roots).

I remember when the game first came out and I wanted it for the Wii, being the only console I owned. I don't remember why but I ended up not getting it at all. Later in 2010, my interest with Sonic sparked and I saw that I have yet to play Unleashed. After doing research it seemed like the 360 version was the superior version, so I bought that one. I enjoyed it a lot and it was my favorite game for a while.

After experiencing the awesome 360 version I tried out the Wii version and I was really shocked by how different it was. No medal collecting, sure. But there were like 3 Werehog levels in a row and the daytime stages were so short, while the nighttime ones took forever to get through. Or at least it seemed like that because it's level after level with the Werehog. I didn't feel much of a balance in that version so I stopped after I got to Mazuri.

Obviously I wasn't a fan of UnWiished. I much prefer the 360 version for a variety of reasons. Better graphics, better control (in my opinion), better balance, more interactive hub worlds and exclusive levels the Wii version didn't have.

...was the mdeal system really that bad? Coincidentally, I downloaded Unleashed again for my PS3 and replayed it on a new account for the full, fresh experience and the only place that told me I had insufficient medals was Jungle Joyride.

It's not as if it's hard to get more medals. Just go mill around the hub worlds and entrance stages for a bit and you'll have more than enough. You're going to be going through these places throughout the game, anyway, so just take a minute or two to go and get them. They're in the most obvious of places.

I understand it's a tad tedious and is just there to pad out the game (thus unecessary), but unless you're deliberately missing every single medal you can find you'll only ever have to be faced with the insufficient medal message a couple of times. It's a bit pointless, but it's not game breaking to the point that I'd have to take a few months hiatus from the game.

I'd argue that it was pretty damn bad - which why I praise Wiileashed for that one thing (and the Gaia Gates), the medals weren't game-breaking to the point of a month long period away from the game, buut I did hit a wall in pretty much every continent after (and including) Chun-Nan. And yeah - medals in the hubs and entrances were pretty easy to find - but they were so few and far between, and at some points I found myself needing like 15 medals - forcing me to go through the levels, which made you really go out of the way for some of the medals.

Even though I said I didn't like unwiished I do have to mention

The throwing knives in DR day at 2:08 were pretty cool.

Then theres the waterfall climb in act 2 of the night stage.

Yah not much else though.

I honestly do not understand the complaint with the medals. I played through the game normally on my first time, meaning I didn't explicitly search for medals and was fine until Jungle Joyride Day Act 1. That's the only time medals were a bother. It was then that I went back to explore the hub worlds and out of sheer curiosity I found out side missions existed which had medals in them. Honestly, I was only around 18 medals off from accessing the level I believe so it wasn't that hard to even achieve the minimum for the gate. Anyway, like I was saying, if it wasn't for the medal requirements I honestly would have gone throughout the entire game not knowing about the extra side missions. And the side missions themselves introduced me to some interesting characters that made the world Sonic is in more alive. It just added to the experience and although I can see how it's a bit of a dick move for the game to halt your progress for medal collecting, I didn't find it to be nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I always hear people complain that the medal collecting is so tedious and boring and that it drags the game down. Seriously guys, it's not that bad. 

It really depends on play style. If you're someone like me, who is such a klepto and really slow when it comes to playing some games (slow in a Sonic game, lol) then it's not that big a deal. But for people who just want to blast through everything, this kind of thing would be tedious and forced for them.

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually enjoy needing to collect things to progress in a game, but I prefer it when they give a legitimate reason for it (even if it's as simple as "this portal won't work until you get this number of magical dragon eggs, which are important to the plot anyway"). Unfortunately, Unleashed--as far as I know--gives no particular reason for needing these story-irrelevant medals that you need to access certain levels...so when it comes to that, I'll criticize the Sun/Moon medals, but in terms of gameplay alone, I just find the concept inoffensive.

Like Ed up there, I tend to be very determined about collecting everything I can before I move on, so that's part of the reason it doesn't bother me. XP The other part is that I grew up on games like Spyro, so there ya go.

Yeah this is how it went for me as well really, the game does seem to want you to explore a bit so the medals (along with the tea sets) were the just one of the things to look out for during the game and like you the only time when it told me to collect more was at adabat.