Awoo.

Blue Sky Studio's Peanuts: Lights. Cameras. Beagles. (Nov. 6 2015)

Kaze no Klonoa

So uh, I saw this film Saturday and thought it was really good. Wasn't as good as Inside Out, but a great watch even if you're not a Peanuts fan since the film does a good job (re)introducing the characters.

Did like how the Little Red-Haired Girl (yeah seriously, even the most minor characters have actual names than hers) had a little more expansion to her role. The few specials I watched she was just a prop for Charlie Brown to fawn over and had little character of her own. She would have no dialogue, not even a face. Here, she has an actual interaction with CB, albeit towards the end and we see her face numerous times throughout the film. So it's somewhat of an improvement.

And I have yet to find anyone who didn't find Snoopy an absolute delight.

• Thumbs Up 2

So uh, I saw this film Saturday and thought it was really good. Wasn't as good as Inside Out, but a great watch even if you're not a Peanuts fan since the film does a good job (re)introducing the characters.

Hidden Content

Agreed. It was really nice to have Charlie Brown win for once.

I really hope after this movie Blue Sky can truly start making more highly quality movies (at least after Ice Age 5 comes out). And I hope that this movie convinces the rest of Hollywood to stick to the source material when it comes to adapting classic properties. But I'm not holding my breath.

• 1 month later...

Wow I'm late on this, but yesterday I finally went to see The Peanuts Movie. In Greek. No English screenings were available or even brought over ever so.. yeah. Anyway, I'm very pleased with what I saw. The movie itself was really Peanuts-y but Peanuts-y to the extreme if that makes sense. I've only seen a few of the specials, the first movie, and a few comic strips. I'm probably not the best to talk about how Peanuts-y it is but it was very in-line with what I had previously experienced. The reason I say to the extreme is because of what happens involving Charlie Brown. A lot of times I ended up feeling bad for him, but I could relate, so that was nice. There isn't really much of a big plot though. It's mostly Charlie Brown doing what he can to impress the red haired girl, but failing. Everyone's pretty much known that though thanks to the trailers. But what's charming is seeing how good of a person Charlie Brown is. He's not spoiled, he's not rude, and even when you expect him to do something selfish, he does what would make others happy instead. He's a great character and a fantastic influence in my eyes. Snoopy is also there, providing transitions with his own little imagination story with the Red Baron. I didn't feel he was needed as much, but the kids in the cinema found him very funny so I can't say he was a waste of time. 

Now one of the thing I, and many others liked, was the animation. It's really interesting and impressive to see how well they transferred the Peanuts gang in 3D. Everything still has a 2D feel to it, but with that fanciness of 3D animation. It's actually a mix, too. When a character trips or Snoopy dances, the feet are 2D animated and Snoopy's eyes as well I noticed were 2D a lot of the times when he didn't have his plain eyes. It was very cool, and I really want to see a Garfield movie in that animation style. 

And one other thing, which probably won't affect anyone or people won't care, but the Greek dub was one of the best dubs I had ever seen. I kept waiting for them to mess up once but I didn't see or hear a single mistake. The characters talked at a good pace and it still fit the lip timing perfectly. For those who don't know, at times in Greek dubs, characters need to talk really fast to make up for not enough lip movement in a sentence. In addition to that, they had actual kids voice the characters, which isn't something you see often. So it was really easy on the ears and it felt a little more nostalgic. And one of the other reasons for this is the brilliant translation. The script wasn't directly translated and instead localised to fit in with what Greek kids would say and what you would hear by people. It felt very Greek in that sense, which I've never felt when watching a dub. It's a little weird to explain but I'm sure some bilingual members will know what I'm saying. In the credits even they mentioned a new team (at least to me, maybe they're a bit old) that did the dubbing work, so I hope they take care of some future dubs. 

So, you can tell I really had a great time with this film. I even bought myself a Snoopy and a Charlie Brown plush since the cinema store had them. XD I can't wait for this film to come out on Blu-Ray! It's so charming and nice! Really refreshing to a film like this in the cinema. 

• Thumbs Up 2