Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

38 minutes ago, AlienBunny said:

Think Penders is going to disable comments in the future because of the Donkey Kong spam?

No the guy just loves phrases. He has enough fans to fill his huge ego.

Good lord. This is the worst of Classic Lara-Su I've seen yet, and Nu-Su STILL looks like a nightmarish attempt to render a Disney dogface in real life. Gotta love how her nose size keeps changing, but hey, consistency at any level must be for amateurs in Pendersworld. 

Seriously though, at this point I almost wonder if there's something going on with Penders in the real world, given how damn lousy this rendition of Lara-Su Classic is. Not that he's normally stellar, but he's usually better at drawing her than he is his odious 'modern' take on her. 

3 minutes ago, horridus said:

Good lord. This is the worst of Classic Lara-Su I've seen yet, and Nu-Su STILL looks like a nightmarish attempt to render a Disney dogface in real life. Gotta love how her nose size keeps changing, but hey, consistency at any level must be for amateurs in Pendersworld. 

Seriously though, at this point I almost wonder if there's something going on with Penders in the real world, given how damn lousy this rendition of Lara-Su Classic is. Not that he's normally stellar, but he's usually better at drawing her than he is his odious 'modern' take on her. 

It looks like to me, he keeps trying to half trace Butler's art, and then add his own on top.

Wow. Yet another abomination. Penders never disappoints, and by that I mean, he always disappoints. I truly can't understand how he thinks New Lara-Su actually looks like a teenager, or how he can think that art style looks good. What's remarkable is that the Old Lara-Su drawing is terrible, but still miles better than the new version. On top of everything, it looks like he's using a photo for the floor, which I guess shouldn't be any surprise coming from him.

One thing I will say, though. That Old Lara-Su is kind of a mood. Not a good mood. She looks tired. I'm tired. #relatable.

I think we should be praising Penders' amazing ability to take someone who is canonically sixteen, and somehow make them look in their 50s, or 60s. Fucking hell, Lara Su and Julie-Su look indistinguishable from each other.

What's interesting is how Ken's art somehow degrades over time. Like compare any of the recent garbage tier art he's done of redesign Lara-Su, and compare it to the (not great) anime-like art of Lara-Su that was in the "Discover your Destiny" poster, or hell, even the initial design posters. Even as clumsily designed as they were, there was at least some stylisation attempt to make them vaguely look around the age they're supposed to be. 

Ken's art has somehow constantly getting crappier and crappier each and every time, it's frankly baffling. I feel so bad for any genuine fans of Lara-Su seeing her constantly melting in front of their eyes.

17 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

I wanna say he shouldn't have such a close up of the Ugly!Lara-Su, but he also shouldn't have Archie!Lara-Su on the page either... This is downright horrible and I don't like it

That first Lara Su was traced wasn't it

And he's going after Ian again.  The whole "Ian stole my ideas" claim is nothing new (though it's kind of amazing he's still bitter enough to keep blaming him instead of the editor even when Ian's already said the higher-ups told him what they wanted him to do in the first follow-up story), but going after him because "the characters were never aged an additional five years"?  Does... does he realize people don't age a whole ton over 5 years compared to 25?  Or that half of the cast in the original M25YL barely looked aged at all to begin with?  Heck, Sonic was literally just himself with a crown on.  Also, Ken, maybe you don't realize this, but Ian was the writer, not the artist.

But wait, there's more:

Oh good, this again.  Ken's right that Geoffrey was never 27, but he certainly wasn't 20; We've already talked about how the birthdates he wrote himself show that when they were dating, Sally was 15 while Geoffrey was 22.

And hey, Ken, you're technically right that an age gap in couples don't necessarily matter.  Except that we can assume your parents got married when they were both adults.  According to your own dates, Sally was not.  Even in your own incorrect argument, she still only would have been 16 or 17.

Stop trying to justify it, Ken.  You were wrong to begin with, and even when trying to stretch things to their limit you're still wrong.  Just take the L and walk away.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Oh good, this again.  Ken's right that Geoffrey was never 27, but he certainly wasn't 20; We've already talked about how the birthdates he wrote himself show that when they were dating, Sally was 15 while Geoffrey was 22.

And hey, you're technically right that an age gap in couples don't necessarily matter.  Except that we can assume your parents got married when they were both adults.  According to your own dates, Sally was not.  Even in your own incorrect argument, she still only would have been 16 or 17.

Stop trying to justify it, Ken.  You were wrong to begin with, and even when trying to stretch things to their limit you're still wrong.  Take the L and walk away.

This is especially worse when Ken claims they would have had a sexual relationship. Ken made it clear, if he could have written it, Geoffery would pop Sally's cherry before Sonic. So a 22 year old doing that to a 15 year old is gross, illegal and just wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Tylinos said:

And he's going after Ian again.  The whole "Ian stole my ideas" claim is nothing new (though it's kind of amazing he's still bitter enough to keep blaming him instead of the editor even when Ian's already said the higher-ups told him what they wanted him to do in the first follow-up story), but going after him because "the characters were never aged an additional five years"?  Does... does he realize people don't age a whole ton over 5 years compared to 25?  Or that half of the cast in the original M25YL barely looked aged at all to begin with?  Heck, Sonic was literally just himself with a crown on.  Also, Ken, maybe you don't realize this, but Ian was the writer, not the artist.

But wait, there's more:

And hey, Ken, you're technically right that an age gap in couples don't necessarily matter.  Except that we can assume your parents got married when they were both adults.  According to your own dates, Sally was not.  Even in your own incorrect argument, she still only would have been 16 or 17.

Stop trying to justify it, Ken.  You were wrong to begin with, and even when trying to stretch things to their limit you're still wrong.  Just take the L and walk away.

Ah yes, Ian's history of stealing ideas from Penders- such as the incredibly, mind bendingly generic idea of two characters who have been a couple for years finally getting married. I really must wonder how that must have looked to the court, especially given that Penders has contradicted himself on his precise plans by mentioning how he was gearing up for a big Eggman/Legion conflict, but never bothered to detail that during his initial post about what he was planning to do before he quit Archie. ESPECIALLY given, as stated, how neither Knuckles nor Sonic, Sally or any of the main  characters of that insipid arc looked as if they had aged even a day from the time they were teenagers, and furthermore? As far as anyone knew at that time, 25YL belonged to SEGA, and was Archie's to play with as they pleased. Treating it as an act of theft is not only dishonest on its own merits, but it once again betrays Penders utterly insane mindset regarding the status of his work on a *licensed* comic book- namely that he honestly feels like his work should have some sort of sacrosanct status despite the book not being his and the characters involved not being his until the conclusion of that trial. By his own tortured logic, his entire career is 'theft' given that virtually everything he made involved characters not of his own creation or is directly tied into said characters not of his own creation, but then we all know that Penders' warped logic never applies to himself. Just everyone else. 

And as for the Sally/Geoff thing... real life is complicated, and this is a subject that is complicated even in that context, and even if we ignore literally everything else that has already been said? This wasn't his book, and Sally wasn't his character. If he wanted to explore something like that, which I would firmly be against because Penders doesn't BEGIN to have the writing chops to engage in that kind of subject matter, then he should feel free to do so in his own friggin' book rather than in a book he didn't own using a character he didn't own intended for a target audience of *children*. 

Like, Jesus Christ, what the hell goes on in this guy's head that he thinks this DOESN'T make him look creepy and messed up? 

• Thumbs Up 8

Apologies for the double post, but Penders has decided to show the finished version of that 'rough draft' he posted.

Bold of him to assume this'll get 100 pre-orders. I really do appreciate how I never expect anything from the guy, and yet I'm still continually surprised by the crappiness of his work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Apologies for the double post, but Penders has decided to show the finished version of that 'rough draft' he posted.

Bold of him to assume this'll get 100 pre-orders. I really do appreciate how I never expect anything from the guy, and yet I'm still continually surprised by the crappiness of his work. 

The title font is horrible, the art is ugly and the "Floating Island Productions" logo at the bottom somehow makes this even more unappealing to look at.

This response tweet caught my eye tho.

I do feel bad for this dude because the only consistency in Ken's quality of work is not only how bad it is but how it manages to degrade over time.
If Ken genuinely cared about the quality of the Lara-Su Chronicles he'd openly take all the criticism from former Archie fans and the few fans he still has to heart and work to improve this rather than fight it all off like he expects fan or former fan alike to buy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, uh, wow.  Until comparing them directly, I thought the only difference from the preview the other day (apart from the titles being added) was the floor looking more unfinished.  He could at least try to put some effort in.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Tylinos said:

Yeah, uh, wow.  Until comparing them directly, I thought the only difference from the preview the other day (apart from the titles being added) was the floor looking more unfinished.  He could at least try to put some effort in.

I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact he's offering up a free sketch of Lara-Su as incentive, while simultaneously demonstrating an inability/unwillingness to actually draw her well. The disconnect is staggering, though tragically not unusual. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 9:58 PM, Tylinos said:

But wait, there's more:

1. Totally unrelated to Kens point but how old are Tails's kids supposed to be in the XYL stories? Because like Sally says in 25 Years Later that Tails Mina and the kids left 3 years ago and Sky and Melody in the flashback don't look all that much older than Sonia and Manik but 30 Years Later writes them as teenagers even though Antoine and Bunnie's son definitely flirts with Melody and he looks way older Just something that crosses my mind when I read those.

2. Yeah Age gaps are a thing Ken but holy God even if Geoffrey was 20 he shouldn't be planning on making a 15 year old his next "conquest". Why is this so hard for you to understand?

• Thumbs Up 3

Minor update- if you can consider coloring in work posted a long while ago 'an update'.

I gotta confess- before I remembered that Lara is meant to be pink/lavender, I thought that was meant to be her at the top. 

First, is she naked? Does she have to be naked? Second, he spoiled his non existant comic by saying that Knox will die. Lastly, won't be buying it Ken. No cool people or uncool people will buy it.

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

First, is she naked? Does she have to be naked? Second, he spoiled his non existant comic by saying that Knox will die. Lastly, won't be buying it Ken. No cool people or uncool people will buy it.

She's naked because something something Different Culture something something Hard Science Fiction. It's all TOTALLY a legitimate exercise in worldbuilding and not because he's still clinging to the fact that everything in this book started out as Sonic crap and refuses to fully move on, nope! 

Who says "too cool for school" unironically nowadays? Or maybe I'm just out of touch; I don't really pay attention to most slang terminology unless it's used frequently.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Who says "too cool for school" unironically nowadays? Or maybe I'm just out of touch; I don't really pay attention to most slang terminology unless it's used frequently.

If he wanted to be hip with the kids nowadays he'd say "It's well lit fam" or something akin to it. Or at least, thats what I've peiced together from my much younger coworkers.

I'm looking at the line art and it looks a bit sloppy. Chicken scratches which was something my art professor would question me on a a lot. I would do that first, fix the line art, then color. However know him, he's probably going to delete the line art, which why even bother doing in the first place? I'm assuming to select-bucket fill which is for big empty spaces, but not like that. Because when the line art is deleted you get a weird outside line.

• Nice Smile 1