Awoo.

Sonic Boom Behind the Scenes "I'm having a party!"

Badnik Mechanic

I really, really think you guys are expecting too much much from that. Either they'll all look the same, or they'l be variations on the Boom designs. We're not going to be getting any universe crossovers.

Then again, I doubt they'll be so lazy. SO it is quite possible. 

I really, really think you guys are expecting too much much from that. Either they'll all look the same, or they'l be variations on the Boom designs. We're not going to be getting any universe crossovers.

You might be right. I still don't think it's entirely out of the question, though. Incorporating the characters' original designs and personalities into an episode would definitely make for a fun episode (it would really help them appeal to the people who have expressed dislike for the Boom designs, too.) But, really, there's no way to tell at this point. There's not enough information available to know for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

@ Blue Blood:

You never know. I will admit we are getting a little bit too excited but still I think it's a possibility.

Then again, I doubt they'll be so lazy. SO it is quite possible. 

There's nothing at all lazy about it. It just wouldn't make any sense at all. If anything, it would only serve to further confuse a lot of viewers aren't a part of the existing or more dedicated fanbase like this (which is to say most of the shows target audience).

There's nothing at all lazy about it. It just wouldn't make any sense at all. If anything, it would only serve to further confuse a lot of viewers aren't a part of the existing or more dedicated fanbase like this (which is to say most of the shows target audience).

How would it confuse them if it's explained in the first place that they're alternate universe counterparts?

How would it confuse them if it's explained in the first place that they're alternate universe counterparts?

Because the very notion of alternate universes in itself isn't exactly the most clean-cut and easier to swallow concept. Remember who this show is for.

How? It's just alternate universe Sonic to the target audience while, to us, more dedicated fans it's "modern" Sonic. Nothing that confusing. Especially if this episode is way down the line. Which gives the new audience time to soak in Boom and then they get alternate dimension Sonic episode. Fan service and funny episode. I don't see the confuse in this.

• Thumbs Up 3

Because the very notion of alternate universes in itself isn't exactly the most clean-cut and easier to swallow concept. Remember who this show is for.

As a 6-year-old I certainly wouldn't have been confused by that. Besides, how is what you're proposing supposedly any less confusing in that sense?

Didn't stop them from doing something similar in AoStH. Seriously I doubt that having a multiverse episode with the original characters (and hopefully some other ones) would be all that bad.

As a 6-year-old I certainly wouldn't have been confused by that. Besides, how is what you're proposing supposedly any less confusing in that sense?

Because they wouldn't be established characters seen anywhere else.

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea, I'm still firmly of the belief that you're all getting way ahead of yourselves and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea, I'm still firmly of the belief that you're all getting way ahead of yourselves and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Rather have hope and blow it off as "oh well" than mark it off from the get go. If it is "modern" Sonic then, yeah awesome! If not, it's all good. 

I do indeed understand your point though. If people get too concrete about their hope of it being modern, they might get really upset. But that's more the person's own way of handling things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't the show being written under the assumption that its target audience is smart enough to understand how alternate universes work?

Considering the main series is canonically an alternate universe to Sonic Boom, I don't see why they couldn't be used. It would be more interesting than just having an alternate universe created specifically for one episode.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't think using the Sonic Team versions of the characters for that alternate universe would be likely to confuse anybody, but I do have to question whether that would be worth going to all the technical trouble and extra scrutiny from Sonic Team for the ~15 minutes the characters would be able to interact.

And if you put them in any more episodes than that, they'd feel like they were taking over the show. Not exactly what you want if you're trying to make Boom stand out as its own product.

If it is Sonic Team's versions, I can just imagine both Knuckles' commentating on each other's looks. Seeing as they'd likely differ in height and all!

The decision making bodies of the world have a very poor idea of what can be enjoyed by whom. Grand Theft Auto, a supposedly "adult" franchise, is beloved by all sorts of teens and even people younger than that. My Little Pony is enjoyed by plenty of men and not just the young girl demographic it was meant.

The worst trap anyone can fall into is to assume that children are inherently stupid. We don't like to use that word, but let's be honest, that's what the general sentiment is. I think an alternate dimension is a fairly simple concept to work with, and plenty of kids' shows have used it before. "In this universe, x happened instead of y," or "X is Y in this universe." It might seem complicated, but it's a simple concept if you remember how the base universe was.

Heck, I'd argue that some level of economics or political science could probably be grasped a good deal by younger audiences, it's just it would bore 99% of them. The same way they still bore a good deal of adults. Children can be surprisingly intelligent; the main issue is really what they'd prefer to use such for. Does a six year old want to remember History, or the exploits of a superhero?

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering the main series is canonically an alternate universe to Sonic Boom,

Says who exactly?

Honestly, I seriously doubt they'll use SEGA Sonic for the alternate versions of the characters. They'll just be slight variations of the normals ones design-wise.

While the Archie comics loved to make use of actual alternate continuities, they only used other spinoffs (Underground, OVA and X) and not the main series as an alternate reality. Understandable, since from the perspective of the comics, Archie IS the prime reality.

I assume the cartoon would be the same if it were to make use of alternate canon. Given that the comics use the game designs, however, I think it's a snowball's chance that the show would cross over.

Given the different nature of the Archie strip... there IS the possibility that Boom could make some appearance in it, if they ever found some way to bring multiverses back into the picture.

But as for any other continuities popping up in the show? I doubt it.

Says who exactly?

Well since it takes place in a different universe from the games, it's safe to assume that the main series would be an alternate dimension.

Honestly, I seriously doubt they'll use SEGA Sonic for the alternate versions of the characters. They'll just be slight variations of the normals ones design-wise.

But why would they do something mediocre like that? A crossover with the main series would be the coolest thing ever!

I fail to see how that would be confusing. You'd be surprised how smart and aware 6-11-year-olds actually are these days anyway.

Well since it takes place in a different universe from the games, it's safe to assume that the main series would be an alternate dimension.

But why would they do something mediocre like that? A crossover with the main series would be the coolest thing ever!

Well in a 3D animated cartoon series, you don't really want to waste too much material. Even with a good budget you still want every piece of material you have to have a purpose and still be reusable in some way. Unless they're reoccurring in infrequent appearances, its kind of a waste for the specific models to appear in just 1-2 episodes. That's the way I see it.

Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosssh Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss!

Okay, this post is very spammy. You are going to have to put more effort into your posts than that as this has no discussion value whatsoever. This is discussion forum here at SSMB, and at the very least, all posts must have a few well thought out sentences, as per the rules that we have established here. Yes, I agree that it is good that Amy appears to be portrayed in a good manner at least with the not stalking Sonic part, but the very least you could of done was specifically mention your thoughts in a understandable manner with some thought behind it with what you were excited about in your post as opposed to making an outburst like this. 

Either you post a thought of yours to the topic that is actually relevant which contains more than one thought-out sentence, or you don't post at all from now on. I hope that this is the last time this is brought to your attention as you have been talked to about the quality of your posts several times before. If not, do expect disciplinary measures to be taken due to you not following this simple rule.

• Thumbs Up 1

You said canonically in alternate universes, which to me implies that they exist in the same canon. Which has never been said.

And I don't think it would be the coolest thing ever. With or without the hyperbole. Nor do I think what I said would necessarily be mediocre.

• Thumbs Up 3

You said canonically in alternate universes, which to me implies that they exist in the same canon. Which has never been said.

Separate canons can be alternate universes to each other. As long as neither one is declared the "primary" universe, there shouldn't be a problem.

And I don't think it would be the coolest thing ever. With or without the hyperbole. Nor do I think what I said would necessarily be mediocre.

Really? Let's take a closer look at our options:

1. The alternate universe is implied to be the setting of the games, with characters that look like the cast of the main series but in Sonic Boom's artstyle. This would serve as a clever reference to the main series without alienating the few people who don't know about the games.

2. The alternate universe is something created specifically for one episode, with characters who are just minor alterations of Sonic Boom's cast. Stuff like this has been done hundreds of times in other shows, so I doubt it would have a lasting impression on viewers.

I am seriously not understanding how we're jumping to the conclusion that this alternate dimension episode is automatically going to be a 'crossover with the main canon.'

I figured it's going to be more of having a bunch of different reality counterparts of the characters in one setting story. Yunno, like the early Archie comics with that one issue that had so many alternate counterparts of

Sonic? Something weird and wacky like that given what this show will be about. Nothing like expecting anything from the main series to show up. A cameo maybe, but an actual crossover? Some here are just asking to be disappointed if that's the case.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am seriously not understanding how we're jumping to the conclusion that this alternate dimension episode is automatically going to be a 'crossover with the main canon.'

I figured it's going to be more of having a bunch of different reality counterparts of the characters in one setting story. Yunno, like the early Archie comics with that one issue that had so many alternate counterparts of

Sonic? Something weird and wacky like that given what this show will be about. Nothing like expecting anything from the main series to show up. A cameo maybe, but an actual crossover? Some here are just asking to be disappointed if that's the case.

I don't think anyones really jumping to it but we are kind of hoping for something like it.

• Thumbs Up 2