Awoo.

Solo Sonic

Rey Skywalker-Ren

The way I see it, all characters should be able to run at a relatively decent clip and jump with a semblance of control that allows proper navigating of obstacles even at higher speeds. However, the fine specifics of those abilities (some characters can be slower, others faster, etc.), as well as any other special abilities like flight, digging, attacking, dimension manipulation, etc. should be fair game to be as varied up as much as possible. Character or level-specific gimmicks shouldn't be off the table either. Tails can fly a plane. Why can't he fly one in-game once or twice anymore? Why not give Sonic high-speed areas only he can play like the ones in Lost World?

• Thumbs Up 1

I, myself, see no appeal at all in multiple characters if they don't share any or many attributes with each other. The way Sonic Adventure 2 handled this was absolutely dreadful IMO. Go back to the way it was done in Sonic 3 & Knuckles or maybe Sonic Adventure or GTFO, really.

The difference in game-play needs to share the core concept of the series no matter what otherwise it won't really fit in properly with the game and just feel jarring. They don't need to all be built off the core game-play, they just need to share the core concept of the series with game-play that doesn't feel out of place.

I like it when characters all they have in common is running and jumping and then everythig else is their own ablities

The way I see it, all characters should be able to run at a relatively decent clip and jump with a semblance of control that allows proper navigating of obstacles even at higher speeds. However, the fine specifics of those abilities (some characters can be slower, others faster, etc.), as well as any other special abilities like flight, digging, attacking, dimension manipulation, etc. should be fair game to be as varied up as much as possible. Character or level-specific gimmicks shouldn't be off the table either. Tails can fly a plane. Why can't he fly one in-game once or twice anymore? Why not give Sonic high-speed areas only he can play like the ones in Lost World?

They should do what Sonic '06 did with the Mach Speed Sections and Unleashed did with the Tornado Defense stages and give Tails a few Tornado levels like that or the Cyclone mech stages in Sonic Adventure 2 while still having regular levels with Tails like Sonic Adventure or Sonic Heroes. ...or Tails' Adventure.

I write something before about playing as other characters:

I want to put my opinion here because I don't know where the thread to put it in. I want to explain how I feel about playing as

Sonic friends and why I perfer Sonic only games.

I would love to play as the friends if they had their own style to go along with platforming or if they had their very own gameplay. My first game I got for Christmas was Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. That's how I got to know Sonic and all the other characters. And I got to play as them. Playing as them was not a bad feeling. Playing as Sonic was the best feeling and that's how he became my favorite Sonic character, part. When I played the other games after it and now Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 I started to have my doubts.

Like in Sonic Rivals, I hated playing as the friends because they all played the same! I loved Sonic but I hated how everyone else had the same skills like Sonic except Silver could fly and Knuckles could glide and climb (which I like about him). It was like playing as Tails.

In Sonic Adventure 2, I was bored playing as Shadow because he played the same as Sonic. I know he's supposed to be like a Sonic a little but in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, he had his own homing attack called the "chaos attack" which was diffrent. And he can also throw spears at enemies. Sonic Adventure 2 was the only game where I loved to play as Tails. And he's my second favorite character. He has a style that said "Tails" and not Sonic with flying. In Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, he was boring and threw ring bombs.

Sonic Adventure had some good gameplays. I liked to play as Amy because she can run (she could be a little faster) but she didnt have to curl up in a ball or spindash to be fun. Her hammer was fun and I got to jump higher with it. And I love to hit the springs with the hammer. I also loved to play as Big because he was fun and different. Fishing was confusing at first but it got easy and I had alot of fun. He was my third favorite gameplay. I loved to play as E-102y because his shooting was fun and added alot to the game. Tails was boring he played the same like Sonic and Knuckles was good but treasure hunting was hard.

Sonic Heroes.... oh my. I started playing and I finished and I will review. I can say I hated the friends gameplay. Because everyone was the same!! Every speed character had a homing attack, Sonic's move! Even Amy and Espio did. Every flying character did the same thing, fly with others holding them. Power characters were only ones I liked. Because they powered different. These moves are okay for Team Sonic but all others need their own ways of flying and speeding attack. I liked how Espio turned invisible and Amy could float using her hammer and she couldnt wall jump. Gameplay was fun... when it was Team Sonic.

Sonic Rush.... another one because Blaze played just like Sonic with no special moves of her own. Yes she has fire powers and when she jumps she spins but it works the same like Sonic rolling in a ball. you kill the badnik instantly by jumping. So I became bored when I played as her but I loved her in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 because she had moves of her own but I could still run but she was faster than Sonic and it's a no-no.

My point is that I think after Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and Sonic Adventure, playing as Sonic friends became boring because they were all the same. Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 had plays i thought were bad (Tails), ones I thought were okay (Amy) ones I thought were good (Knuckles, Rouge) and those that I loved (Sonic, Shadow, Omega, Silver, Blaze). Because those characters had different moves that worked well and goes with them. Sonic Adventure had bad (Tails), OK (Knuckles), Good (Amy, Big) and awesome (Sonic, E-102y).

Shadow the Hedgehog was its own game. Shadow played like Sonic but you can attack also using weapons and drive cars. So it was a good game.

Until they can handle different style, they should do Sonic only. Because games like Sonic World Adventure, the gameplay was perfect, even the warehog. If Knuckles could play like that, I would love to play as him even more. Sonic Colors was a game that handled powers ups good way and Sonic would do many moves and it works. Sonic Generations was the best. Classic Sonic was boring but he played that way in Sonic 2 so I cant say anything. And earning the homing attack was awesome and it made him FUN. Modern Sonic was perfect. Sonic 4 Episode 2 was my favorite because of how you can use Tails to help you. It was a favorite.

If they can do different and fun gameplays with Sonic only, why cant they do it with Sonic friends now?

well... Tails is no longer my favorites but he was still good in Sonic Adventure 2

Tails is better when he's tied down to an unnecessary Mech, than being able to do his most notable and defining ability(Flying)while playing similarly to Sonic even though he doesn't have any of Sonic's moves besides curling into a ball not even Spin Dashing, just curling into a ball.

I figure out something, I think the reason I like Sonic only games is because of my first Sonic game I played. My first Sonic game I played was Sonic 2006 and why I like the game I was upset I didnt see enough of the character I wanted to get to know. I didnt get to play enough with him and I was playing as Shadow and Silver in Sonics story. I love Silver to but I didnt like that I was force to play with him in Sonics story or Shadow. Yeah so the Sonic only games gave me that. I didnt get enough Sonic in the Adventure games either so it was a set back for me.

Tails is better when he's tied down to an unnecessary Mech, than being able to do his most notable and defining ability(Flying)while playing similarly to Sonic even though he doesn't have any of Sonic's moves besides curling into a ball not even Spin Dashing, just curling into a ball.

If I have to be honest, he's pretty fun to play as in both.

I understand why Sonic went back to going solo after titles like Heroes and 06 went overboard with the amount of playable characters in one game. People were getting tired of having other characters forced down our throats, and wanted to go back to a traditional Sonic experience with only the Blue Blur being playable. Sometimes when things get rough, you need to revert and downscale a bit so you can just focus on making gameplay nice and simple. However, it's been close to a decade since after 06, and I'm glad Sonic Boom is bringing Tails, Knuckles, and Amy back into the fray as playable characters. It's what I've been asking for for years, everyone's goal is simply getting to the goal ring on foot with their own unique abilities without going overboard. Seriously, it's about freaking time developers don't care about the "Sonic's shitty friends" stigma and are bringing them back into the mix without taking away too much attention from Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

if they can put heart soul and dedications into the game.... then I dont mind Sonics friends being playable

I understand why Sonic went back to going solo after titles like Heroes and 06 went overboard with the amount of playable characters in one game. People were getting tired of having other characters forced down our throats, and wanted to go back to a traditional Sonic experience with only the Blue Blur being playable. Sometimes when things get rough, you need to revert and downscale a bit so you can just focus on making gameplay nice and simple. However, it's been close to a decade since after 06, and I'm glad Sonic Boom is bringing Tails, Knuckles, and Amy back into the fray as playable characters. It's what I've been asking for for years, everyone's goal is simply getting to the goal ring on foot with their own unique abilities without going overboard. Seriously, it's about freaking time developers don't care about the "Sonic's shitty friends" stigma and are bringing them back into the mix without taking away too much attention from Sonic.

Oh hey look at that.  A Sonic fan who actually realizes the situation regarding Sonic's allies.  Well done sir!

And I think the developers of Sonic Boom don't care about the stigma because they haven't been exposed to it.  BigRedButton's a new company and Sanzaru did Sly 4, which handled multiple playable character quite well.  If Boom turns out to be a success, then I could see some of that stigma dissipating (maybe not completely but a lot). 

• Thumbs Up 3

Look I dont hate Sonics friends. I love them. I dont mind them being playable. I just want them to perfect Sonics gameplay and focus on the game before they do that. Add playable friends but let Sonic be Sonic. Let Sonic homing attack, boost, walk on walks, use wisps whatever he does. You got that gameplay now lets focus on the others.

Just give me a Knuckles with his speed and moves from Adventure 2 and give him an A to B type of level instead of treasure hunting. There you go for Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just give me a Knuckles with his speed and moves from Adventure 2 and give him an A to B type of level instead of treasure hunting. There you go for Knuckles.

or let Knuckles play as the werehog

As long as they go from A to B in stages and at a minimum can run, jump, and roll (or some minor variation) then other playable characters are fine with me. Their stages being slightly different in pace than Sonic wouldn't even be a problem as long as most of the levels had the same kind of feel.

that or give them their very own gameplay and paces. like give Knuckles treasure hunting like Team Chaotix heroes mission and let us play as robots. And i want to play as McNosehair again

or let Knuckles play as the werehog

That wouldn't really work the same way since Knuckles and the Werehog were designed for completely different styles of platforming and play.

That wouldn't really work the same way since Knuckles and the Werehog were designed for completely different styles of platforming and play.

True. But people complain that the weerehog should be Knuckles but its Sonic so it sucks

True. But people complain that the weerehog should be Knuckles but its Sonic so it sucks

Well those people complaining really don't know anything about how this stuff works, because apparently to them it would somehow be the same despite the fact that switching one thing for something completely different isn't going to have the same net results.

For example, the Werehog can't glide while Knuckles can. Gliding is a major difference between these two, and considering how the werehog was suppose to control in the platforming alone switching him for Knuckles would have him make the entire level design pointless.

And that's just one example.

For Knuckles: Take Sonic Adventure 1/2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic '06, Sonic Unleashed (Night AND Day), and Sonic Generations (Horde of Enemies and Treasure Hunting) and put it in a blender. EDIT: And Sonic 3:K, Battle and Advance series.

For Knuckles: Take Sonic Adventure 1/2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic '06, Sonic Unleashed (Night AND Day), and Sonic Generations (Horde of Enemies and Treasure Hunting) and put it in a blender. EDIT: And Sonic 3:K, Battle and Advance series.

... That sounds like a complete mess. Just brush up his Adventure gameplay (and make the Radar good again) and I'll be plenty satisfied.

Judging how they handled and promoted Tails in Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II, the only way I could see Sonic Team getting other playable characters right is if they had a change in the staff that manages designing the games. The reviews could highlight in rainbow colors how BRB Ent. and Sanzaru Games got playable characters done right in Sonic Boom (that is, if they did get it right/if game is good) and Sonic Team still wouldn't understand a damn thing.