Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

Source

From what we can tell so far, Amy is the only character who has seen a significant redesign extending beyond just her appearance. There's been zero-mention of her infatuation with Sonic, and she seems like anything but "the girl" now. I hope she still does like Sonic and that he doesn't return the favour, but she's got a whole new and interesting angle going on now too. Acrobatic, agile and smart, no qualities she ever really had before. I'm seriously excited to see her.

Knuckles... I'm not 100% convinced they'll part with the "Knuckles is dumb" thing, but there's no mention of that so far. We'll have to wait and see there.

I imagine the infatuation will still be there, it's too central to her character to not be, at least in some capacity. Besides, the way she's looking at Sonic in that concept art suggests some attraction.

I think the difference here will be that Amy's infatuation will be an element of her character, rather than the defining the trait. A good thing, in my mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

To most people pointing out Knux's head, I think the in game model is even worse. Perhaps if they lengthened the snout rather than flat faced he'd have more attitude to go with the baloon chest? I dunno. they aren't going to change his proportions now, but they may be able to change his nose a little, why not? (especially in game)

I feel like I can’t complain too much about Boom Sonic; he shares a few features with STC/O Sonic such as the extra mini-spike by his ears and the brown scarf reminds me of the poncho we’ve recently seen STCO Sonic wear…. but I don’t like how the power sneakers are no more. Those shoes are iconic, they belong to Sonic and removing them is quite jarring. Stuff like blue arms, I can see that being done to make him more similar to Shadow and Silver, should they appear…. but then again Amy has peach arms…. :s

Knuckles just looks…odd… why does he need to be *that* big? Sure, give him more beefy arms than Sonic, who should be more streamlined, but that chest, and the knuckle dusters? Dayam. I can see why they’ve given him fingers, maybe it’s easier for them to animate in certain situations or poses but it still feels odd to me… Poor Knuckles.

Tails and Amy, though… I have to say I like. Tails’ goggles and Bat Belt are adorable and show off his additional talent as an engineering boffin, and as a pilot but I hope it doesn’t detract from his original design purpose; his twin tails acting as a propeller. I’m also happy with Amy as she hasn’t been changed that much, and for some reason they haven’t gone nuts with the sports tape. She looks much neater and cleaner than the boys. Her agility in the trailer also says to me we finally have a competent Amy who can show her stuff, and her main purpose is not just chasing Sonic.

I remember them talking about the TV series having Sonic's friends, not sure if they'll still follow up on that.

Also, the TV series will be produced in France and France make a hell of a lot of good cartoons and like to have a lot of fun with character designs, so I definitely see why they went with these designs.

Examples of cartoons/animations produced in France are A Monster in Paris, Asterix, Inspector Gadget and Code Lyoko.

So, none of this affects the Sonic we already know and love. Therefore, I'm fine.

The TV Trailer I really like, scripts sound great, animation is lovely, it's just very high quality. I'm liking the way the game is going as well.

However, I do not like the character designs and that's what will bring this down for me I think. 

Sonic has a load of different universes in SatAM, AoStH, Underground, X and both UK and US comics and each one is a different take on the game series, but what has pretty much always stayed consistent are the character designs. I'm all for giving them new gloves and a scarf and bandages or whatever if they think it's cool, what I'm not OK with is changing the character designs at their core. 

To make a comparison, in Kingdom Hearts, Mickey, Donald and Goofy all look exactly the same, the only differences being what they are wearing.

0OwL2QG.png

I think the audience are able to get behind this sort of change a lot easier because the characters are still themselves in anatomy and structure. It still feels like you're looking at the original characters.

Truth be told, I think that's why I'm alright with Tails and Amy here, I think they look pretty cool for an expanded universe thing, they look exactly the same as they always have. What really bugs me is how much they've changed Sonic and Knuckles. They've totally changed the entire silhouettes of the characters and straight away it's alienating to look at. They're not the same characters anymore.

This is an interesting segment from an interview.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/448618/sonic-boom-interview-sega-and-big-red-button-on-reinventing-sonic/

We went in many different directions to discover the boundary of what Sega was comfortable with, what we wanted to do for our projects. There were some really wild designs, and ultimately in the end we decided they're not well suited for the franchise, because they were just too out there.

I'm glad that's something that Sega reined us in on, because ultimately the character would have felt a little different.

I still think they went too far, it's too out there. Sonic doesn't look like he can roll up into a ball anymore, his signature 3 quills have been wrecked, the blue arms throw off his overall colour palette (too much blue) and he's lanky as hell. I'm sorry but this is just gross.

4LqxB6m.png

The less said about Knuckles the better, he just looks ridiculous, it feels like a Photoshop parody.

The same goes for Eggman actually, he's not fat anymore, he's no longer egg shaped (Well, an he's an upside down egg now), it totally ruins one of his absolute key design elements. He looks like one of The Incredibles.

I just don't see any benefits whatsoever in changing the core designs, nor any disadvantages from keeping them the same. 

I would be so much happier if Sonic looked like this.

EkkmtXHl.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Veteran Sonic game developer Takashi Iizuka confirmed to Polygon that Sonic Boom isn't coming to Japan and the Japanese Sonic Team will continue to make Sonic games in parallel to Big Red Button and Sanzaru's titles.

I suppose that this explains the pumped-up make-over Sonic and co have received, because it's what American and European fans are perceived to want. I recall that Sega some time ago made it clear that it would be focusing almost exclusively on its Sonic, Total War and Football Manager franchises in the face of lowering profitability. This game would therefore be the first fruit of this new approach. Time will tell if their perceptions of what western gamers' want are right, and if the products designed to appeal just to them are of any value at all.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not really surprised Boom isn't being released in Japan.

Bit of a shame since apparently, the Boom designs were very well received by Japanese Sonic fans.

Bit of a shame since apparently, the Boom designs were very well received by Japanese Sonic fans.

Unfortunately, Japanese Sonic fans are the smallest group in the whole worldwide fandom. It's no surprise why they wouldn't bring it to the Rising Sun.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to judge Sonic first because he's my favorite character,  I'm in a rush and haven't gathered-together my thoughts on the others yet.

+ Somewhat tattered-looking spines are a cool addition and look good. I think it gets across his fast-paced lifestyle really well.

+ Really like the scarf. It doesn't detract from the character's appearance.

+ He's still rather true to main series Sonic's proportions except for longer legs...which don't really stick-out to me that much.

+ They FINALLY have gotten around to realizing that his ears and brows can be animated in ways to put-across his emotional state. This was present in SatSR and NOTW to an extent. It makes Sonic an even more expressive character.

- No need whatsoever to make his arms blue. This change simply comes-off as gratuitous and unneeded since Sonic's tan arms blended with his overall palette perfectly well. The blue arms stick-out to me and not in a good way.

- Too many bandages. They're somewhat distracting.

- Where. Are. His. Shoes!? What was the point in changing them? I could understand the SOAP's in SA2 because they served a purpose i.e Grinding. I see absolutely no good reason to do away with Sonic's iconic shoes and replace them with...whatever the hell they're supposed to be.

- Joints in legs and arms are too pronounced and make him look like an action figure. I like Sonic character design with spaghetti limbs.

Okay this isn't my own knowledge, I just read it on tumblr but:

tumblr_n0mc8mMzrk1s1b27fo1_1280.jpg

They're not bandages.  It's sports wrap.  Athletes wear them to support their feet and legs.

So no they're not adding random nonsensical details for the sake of it, they have actually thought about this, even if you don't agree with their decisions.

Also I can't believe how bent out of shape people are getting that they (oh my GOD) CONSIDERED trousers for Sonic.  Maybe they just wanted to alleviate the nonsensical element of the girls wearing clothes while the guys running around naked?

The comments about Amy looking provocative piss me off too.  Apparently a girl character has slight hips, a little eyeshadow, half-closes her eyes and that automatically means she takes dicks to the face ten times a day.

THIS, THIS SO MUCH.

God forbid they make her more womanly in appearance but apparently having eye shadow and playful expressions means she's "lustful looking" She just looks confident, coy and more so "Yeah I'm fucking badass, do you wanna test that?"

And in the game concept art of the group, I think her expression is meant to convey the fact she's still all over Sonic, since she's clearly eyeing him up. Kinda hate these gross comments that Amy has been "sexualized" when that's not the fucking case at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

Tails and Amy are my favorite of the designs. And I especially like that they're making her a more capable character in this game. :D

On the topic of the show (I reckon the game models look kinda awful at the minute), I am surprisingly hyped. Seriously, I was dreading this but I really love the designs they've gone with (even Knuckles isn't THAT bad) - particularly Sonic, as I like how his athletic aspects are kinda paid notice (with the athlete tape and such). And scarf. <3

Don't like blue arms though. That'll take getting used to. But Knuckles looks proportionally fine, Tails and Amy are fine too, and Sonic looks cool I reckon.

First saw the new designs about ten minutes ago.  My thoughts:

...I agree that I think their body structure is a little too defined - the non-cartoony joints are going to take a little bit of getting used to.  But I'm surprisingly undisturbed by low-fat Eggman, and overall I think this looks really interesting.  The slightly more detailed costumes are in-line with their slightly more detailed world, and they've added a smidge more detail to the bodies as well to unify it a little.  Definitely thrilled that they're overhauling Amy, who needed it the most.  There's a heck of a lot of sports tape, mind, but overall, I'm okay with this.  In fact, I'm quite excited to see how everything works out.

Right, I guess I should give my thoughts respectively:

Sonic: 

I really do like the nomadic look they've given him with the sports wraps and scarf, he actually looks like someone you'd expect to be a drifter now, and that lone quill gives him something of a "tethered" , unkempt look about himself. Other than that, still the same Sonic I know and love, so not many complaints.

Although I have a few nitpicks; the lankiness just really seemed unnecessary to me, it really doesn't help the notion that Sonic is gonna be slender man by the time a new design comes. And while I don't care much that he has blue arms, his peach ones do stick out more to me. Also yea, his shoes are the biggest nitpick....they're iconic.

Tails: 

Once again, not many complaints, but mainly because there wasn't much that changed about him; he got new gloves, shoes, a pair of goggles, and a tool belt. Other than that, he's mostly good. I do like how his mechanic role is more obvious now.

Amy:

Another design that hasn't changed much, but really like; she looks a lot more aerodynamic in that outfit of hers but still having her trademark bob cut and Piko Hammer. 

Eggman:

He is heavy weapons guy now; buff build and everything. I actually do kinda like they blended classic and modern designs with him, while still keeping the iconic things about the character in tact. I also love that little wrist watch thing he has on his right arm.

Small nitpick tho, I really wish they kept him bald....baldness has always been Eggman's forte. He also has MIGHTY LIPS, which....is off putting.

And now, to address the elephant in the room:

Knuckles: 

I'm so torn on his design honestly; on one hand, I like how they gave him sports wrap on his hands, I've always envisioned him having that on account of his brawler background, and I'm so happy they gave him that. He also actually looks something a bruiser now.

On the other hand, FINGERS. Ugh, maybe its because I'm too used to seeing him with mitten gloves, but they just don't seem right on him. I mean they compensated by making his spiked knuckles a pair of brass, but still. Also, they beefed him up WAY too much, his head looks severely out of proportion with the rest of his body.

His...will take getting used to, but I'm sure I'll warm up to it with time.

Small nitpick tho, I really wish they kept him bald....baldness has always been Eggman's forte.

Huh?

Eggman-Sonic-Boom.jpg

Still looks bald to me.

From the earlier locked thread on Oct. 3:

wait guys no that was a fake image
wow_guys_i_cant_believe_it_by_darkacguy-
now THIS is the real image 100% confirmed by my uncles dog who works at sega

sonic-boom22.jpg

omg my uncles dog lied to me??????????

I like the designs, I didn't imagine they would look so good from what I was envisioning awhile ago and they honestly look like they would really go well if they went into the mainline series too. My only gripe is that knuckles could probably do from having his upper body toned down just a little bit  and sonic could be just a little shorter so his legs don't look as awkward but besides those, its perfect.

Say what you want about the defined elbows and knees, but I still have nightmares about '06 Sonic's noodly jointless lankiness. I'm sure there's a decent compromise somewhere, but if it's one or the other I'll take this.

I feel like Amy's redesign was the best and most necessary of the four. Her regular outfit is (aside from being, IMHO, entirely too much of one colour) just about the worst, least practical thing you could possibly put a character from an action series in. I'm still kind of astonished that it debuted in a game where she was playable.

Also, I've kind of gone from only thinking Huge Giant Knuckles is alright to actually finding him a bit adorable. I'm glad they're going big on the toys as part of this initiative, 'cuz right now I want a great big fluffy soft toy of him. I think I might secretly be a five-year-old.

• Thumbs Up 1

My only real issue with Sonic is the lankiness. Just tone it down a tad with the legs and I think it'd be fine. It just looks a tad awkward at the moment, particularly in those running shots in the TV trailer.