Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

Haha I know right? It's pretty bad, but that's what said requester wanted and I was like 'nnnhhhhokay'.

I like how Sonic came out himself, though. SPIKES.

But do you see what I mean? The red is a little overpowering.

Mando, don't call me a 'he' and why do people think of Crash?

sorry didnt notice who was being reffered to just meant it in the generaly

the pants and overall feel and posture made me think crash more than sonic

Red totally is overpowering, it takes away the striking contrast of his power sneakers.

When I think about it, Red is always an overpowering colour, it's hard to get a balance with it because of how overpowering it is, hell even white and yellow are easily blended compared to red, but that's just it. Red is supposed to be an overpowering colour because it's often associated with empowerment and passion and is meant to stand out, I guess that's why his shoes are red with a strike out white strap.

Exactly, it's why I'm against the red.

Just thought of another problem with a red scarf: it might end up looking like the red is separating his head because of it being somewhat overpowering and too eye-catching.

As for the Crash stuff, I dunno, I've taken a lot of my inspiration for drawing from Charles Zembillas when it comes to cartoon characters over my originals so maybe it's that?

To be fair, red is only overpowering if you plan on using it at its brightest possible saturation level and you plan on using it is an accent in a sea of cooler colors and neutrals. It's not always necessarily just the color; value, saturation, and contrast are important too. In Boom Sonic's case, since his shoes are mainly covered up with the white tape and they're a more neutral red anyway, their symbolic value and visual impact have been lowered so you could easily get away with a bright red bandanna.

• Thumbs Up 5

To be fair, red is only overpowering if you plan on using it at its brightest possible saturation level and you plan on using it is an accent in a sea of cooler colors and neutrals. It's not always necessarily just the color; value, saturation, and contrast are important too. In Boom Sonic's case, since his shoes are mainly covered up with the white tape, they're a more neutral red anyway, their symbolic value and visual impact has been lowered so you could easily get away with a bright red bandanna.

That's basically how I feel. 

If anything else, I don't find brown to be a fitting compliment to Sonic. I like his red-white-blue-littlebitofyellow color scheme.

Fair points Nepenthe, looking around my room right now I don't have anything red on display besides the little that make up the sexy christmasy outfits on some of my seasonal themed figures in my collection, In fact I might have a slight intolerance to bright colours on the whole since I tend to always make my OC palettes washed out or soft in colours, often using mostly greys and greens with pale beige and peach colours, granted I'm more of a grunge artist that uses the darker colours on the colour chart, I never directly use the top coloured contrast of any colour because of never being able to go higher in contrast when I need to when shading and blending, it's always best to keep your colours in the middle so you have access to a higher contrast hue or lower and darker hue at your disposal.

I'm also not big on red in the first place, I prefer Green and White over all XP

Am I the only one who doesn't find any of their new designs tedious?

I don't.

I understand the route they took and why they took it. They wanted to divert from the original series and so far they've done an excellent job in doing so when people already cry out 'they're so different!'

The behind the scenes video from the other topic allows such understanding to come to light too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think maybe I'd like a darker red scarf, to keep his original colour scheme, but I can see why they chose the brown colour if it is meant to be a reference to Unchartered! XD

I'm still a little peeved about the Power Sneakers being replaced; to me they are just as iconic as Sonic himself - it's why Insert Coin started selling a tee with just those shoes! biggrin.png

Oddly the sports tape doesn't bother me as much and even Knuckles' size I am getting a little used to. biggrin.png Amy and Tails are still my favourites.

However, these complaints are mainly aimed at the cartoon as a completely visual media. As for the games, I'd like to quote Clement's "arrrgh blue arms worse game evaaar!" (sarcasm, btw! :P); the colour of Sonic's arms or scarf etc won't affect my opinion of the game if it's fun to play. If I ever get to play it, that is! :D

My biggest problem is still with Knuckles and that's because all of his proportions are so wonky as to make him look like his head doesn't fit on a body that's in danger of collapsing in on his thin legs. There's no balance within the exaggeration. Worse yet, they already had good reference for classically strong-looking Sonic characters, so I'm not sure how in the world Knuckles managed to come out looking so gosh-darned weird:

sonic-free-riders-characters-artwork-stoWerehog.png

These guys work because other appendages and body parts are sized up to be in more reasonable proportion with their large abdomens. Stumpy legs with big shoes, large hands, and bigger and/or wider heads help tone down the hierarchy of their chests. Everything feels more equal, like parts of the whole mass simply flowed to different places in the body. But this:

Knuckles_concept_art_Sonic_Boom_game.png

Nah bruh. Splay his legs more at the bottom and give him bigger feet so that there's a visual balance there and it makes him less top heavy. Or like CSS said, give him a slight neck that leads into his arms like the Werehog has, or maybe even a more animalistic neck like new Sabrewulf; that would be more interesting if we found it absolutely freakin' necessary to roid him up this much. Give him a bigger head or at least a longer nose to further make his head in proportion to his body. Do something BRB. Anything. Knuckles doesn't deserve to look this goofy.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if the Babylon Rogues will appear and they could be re designed. I am not sure about the Deadly Six and Eggman Nega, if they appear.

I wonder how the GUN Truck would come out as.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder how the GUN Truck would come out as.

I know that was a joke, but it does kind of make me wonder how humans would appear in Boom. I think it'l just be animal characters + Eggman, but it's still got me thinking.  We'd probably be seeing designs more akin to Jak and Daxter than Pixar, for obvious enough reasons.

I know that was a joke, but it does kind of make me wonder how humans would appear in Boom. I think it'l just be animal characters + Eggman, but it's still got me thinking.  We'd probably be seeing designs more akin to Jak and Daxter than Pixar, for obvious enough reasons.

*pictures a dude like the GUN Commander in Boom going all redneck crazy and bursts into laughter*

If they took a more jak and daxter approach to the humans, they would all have big the cat ears.

Yeah, honestly I like him the way he is now really, maybe they could make him a bit shorter and tone down the upper body just a tad but even without those I think he looks alright.

I have no real qualms with trying to make Knuckles look like a heroic bodybuilder (actually I do, but different rant for a different time), but even in 2D his proportion set just makes him look just plain ol' ridiculous whether or not I'm comparing him to his regular design; he's far less Superman and more just slapdash cartoon exaggeration. Making the bottom of his legs bigger and elongating his muzzle would at least go some way towards not making him look like an upside-down pear on toothpicks.

At least he doesn't look like a Rob Liefeld monstrosity.

I had no idea what you were talking about so I resorted to Google...

capnekkid.jpg

I had no idea what you were talking about so I resorted to Google...

capnekkid.jpg

I had to google too and found these

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/6/14/3084348/the-second-40-worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

....these are amazing...I must collect ALL the original comic art.

• Thumbs Up 1

*pictures a dude like the GUN Commander in Boom going all redneck crazy and bursts into laughter*

Eggman's part of the military in this universe so it's not a strech actually....

...I hope not.

I really doubt that it could be Marine since she doesn't look like her at all. But the design of this new female charcter fits with the Sonic series pretty well and obivious old turtle guy is obvious.

I really doubt that it could be Marine since she doesn't look like her at all.

I dunno. It matches her colors perfectly: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100706072743/sonic/images/0/0a/RushAdventure_Marine_pose.png

That and the boomerang. I mean, call me stereotypical, but that just scream Australian. Which is what Marine is.