Awoo.

Sonic Boom's New Characters designs

Unknownlight

In the Picture, I see alot of anthros and animals in robot "disguise". Probably altered or get suited up by Eggman to be enemies,

I'm really not sure about this supposed Marine's design. I see why people think it's her. But no raccon tail, not the same face-fur patters, boomerang-head? xD  I do actually think this is a new character, just very similar to Marine. But honestly I hope it's her tongue.png

But I really don't get the feeling that it is.

BUT if it is her. Then they did some big adjustments to her previous design O_o Will we be expecting big changes to Shadow, Rouge, Blaze, Silver etc, also?(Like Knuckles...) I really hope they don't change them too much then just for the sake of it :/ IF they even appear at all. But it is kinda confirmed that we will see some of them.

Actually, it would appear that he wears skin-tight gloves with tape over the top and cut-outs for his spikes. He's not wearing knuckle dusters. You can see it even more clearly in-game than in the art. I happen to think that Knuckles looks really cool here.

12444075925_71932a8586_n.jpg

12381356675_0fc0d0b89b_o.png

Actually, in that photo, what I dislike the most is Knuckles' face. It doesn't look Knuckles at all! Something like this: 001knuxrouge.jpg

That was the part of the trailer that made the bad/hopefully unfinished models really stick out. Knux looks pretty bad compared to Tails model which looks far more refined from that same bit.

I think the fact that this is one of the only unveil trailers I ever remember seeing from Sonic that had big THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS on the front of it, can prolly be seen as a good sign.  Hopefully the models too are not finalised.  I thought some of the animations were a bit rough generally too.

I'd genuinely be surprised if, of all the characters outside the main quartet they chose to bring in, the one they picked was Marine.  I like Marine, but she is really obscure and has pretty much nothing to do with anything.  Maybe it's just a design homage, and she's one of several background characters resembling other minor characters from the series, in which case she'd be a Marine reference precisely because Marine is so obscure.  Then again, the Marinesque character's design does look pretty detailed.  Hmm.

12381356675_0fc0d0b89b_o.png

To me it rather looks like a strap with spikes attached to it, but it can probably be seen as both.

The placement is strange though. In this picture, as well as in the trailer, it looks like the Knuckles are on the back of his hand, which doesn't make much sense. He's supposed to be boxing, digging and climbing with those, but you can only believe him doing so if they're placed as an extension of actual "knuckles". Like it's done in other official artwork:

Knuckles2006.png

(Boom Knuckles probably has a really powerful backhand slap :P)

I know what you mean about the positioning of his spikes, but look at him punching here.

12336046893_947958a89a_b.jpg

Spikes going straight forward when he fully clenches his fists. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but how? His right hand looks OK from that angle, but his left hand (from Knuckles' perspective) still has the spikes pointed outwards.

(Edit: seems to look normal on the 2D art; so it's probably just lazy 3D modelling.)

Now, who would be as crazy as to discuss an unfinished product...?

You do know that the trailer itself stated we were looking at an unfinished product right?dry.png

Of course it's unfinished, but that doesn't matter. This is all we've seen, so we can only discuss this. Maybe it'll look better when it's released, but we don't know that now, do we?

• Thumbs Up 1

How on earth is that a WIP? It's exactly the same as the promotional renders, the ones that have to be finalized because of marketing purposes. It's clearly something done on purpose- his spikes are in the back of the hand now, except when punching at which point they move forwards. Now as to whether that's a good choice of stylization or not, it's up to you.

How on earth is that a WIP? It's exactly the same as the promotional renders, the ones that have to be finalized because of marketing purposes. It's clearly something done on purpose- his spikes are in the back of the hand now, except when punching at which point they move forwards. Now as to whether that's a good choice of stylization or not, it's up to you.

Well, the game isn't out yet. The trailer clearly says that it's not a representation of the final product.

It's clearly an stylized choice of the animators then, it's not supposed to be realistic,  and we haven't even seen Knuckle's fight in motion yet.

Either way the GAME IS STILL A W.I.P, so there's plenty of time to fix small errors in the animation/model like this, if it turns out to be an error and simply not exaggerated animation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, the point isn't that it's a WIP- the spikes in the back of the hand are an element on the render itself, as seen on his clenched fist. Those are finalized designs for finalized renders for marketing purposes- the WIP in the trailer can refer to a lot of things, from lighting to models being improved, but the designs of the characters themselves were solidified the moment they were unveiled publicly unless there really is some absurd amount of outrage that'll force them to alter that.

These are the sort of teeny little nuances you would only ever notice on unscrupulously close inspection.

12461077453_f10b1f51cb_o.jpg

lol

Have we run out of things to discuss regarding character design yet? I think so tongue.png If you really want to argue discrepancies in design between the art and in-game, look no further than Knuckles' crest. In the art it appears to just be part of his body, and in-game it looks painted on complete with rough edges. What does it meeeeaaaan?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to have to agree with Blue Blood & Super Soniko on all this. Yes, it looks like Knuckles' spikes are still embedded into his fists, and of course the game and the trailer we saw is a Work In Progress.

Yeah, but how? His right hand looks OK from that angle, but his left hand (from Knuckles' perspective) still has the spikes pointed outwards.

(Edit: seems to look normal on the 2D art; so it's probably just lazy 3D modelling.)

It always been like that, even with the "normal" design. They simply place his spikes wherever it's convenient.

20070831012851!Knuckles_heroes_03.png shadowth_knuckles.png

• Thumbs Up 2

You do know that the trailer itself stated we were looking at an unfinished product right?<_<

No, of course not. I'm playing the demo already. What about you?

(JK, should've put a few smileys in here, apparently. :P)

These are the sort of teeny little nuances you would only ever notice on unscrupulously close inspection.

12461077453_f10b1f51cb_o.jpg

OK, Knuckles is now able to bend his spikes at will. I don't know why they would've bothered to animate this for a WIP, but ít's things like this that can give a good impression of how much love and care went into a game.

10e10: That's not from Sonic Heroes is it :P?

• Thumbs Up 1

It always been like that, even with the "normal" design. They simply place his spikes wherever it's convenient.

20070831012851!Knuckles_heroes_03.png shadowth_knuckles.png

In both cases the spikes are where the hand starts bending, IE the knuckles

it wasn't always like this, man, and it's not an error either, so I don't know why everyone is acting as if they're being accused of such? They chose that he has spikes on the back of his hand that when the animation requires move forward. It's a cartooning element like Mickey's ears. Nothing more to explain, really.

EDIT: I mean yeah, on those two examples the spikes have a slight shift forwards in Shadow. What brought attention here is that they shifted it backwards instead.

I for one fully embrace the idea of them bringing in characters that will fit the story they want to tell, rather than just using popular ones "because".

I don't disagree, but I fail to see what Marine would bring to the table that wouldn't be equally well accounted for by inventing a totally new character, which I suspect this character will essentially be - although judging by her company in the image, I assume she's one of innumerable NPC bystanders and not really a "character" at all, and if that's the case I'd expect a few other cameos from characters too obscure to be despised.  Although in any case, they'll have picked what Sonic characters they wanted to include long before they came up with the specifics of the story, and I imagine that no pre-existing characters besides the main quartet will have made the cut.  They were picked because they're the characters of the classic games - the protagonists with real history in the series.

For future games?  It probably will be popular characters who are reintroduced nonetheless, because the popular characters tend to be main characters with actual narratives around them.  There's material to rework there, if they want to - although they might well prefer to invent wholly new characters, even ones with similarities to familiar characters from the Japanese canon, purely to avoid the baggage the non-classic characters tend to carry.