Awoo.

Plot and Story Speculation Thread

Indigo Rush

I don't necessarily think this game will deal with the characters meeting for the first time, rather that they already know each other and become closer as the story develops.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not really impressed with it either. After 20 years of these characters knowing each other, it's not much of a surprise for them to re-meet in a new verse. But I suppose that's more for the newbies who'll join the fandom when this comes around.

Since the trailers went out of their way to call Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy ~FOUR FRIENDS~, framing the game in a way that makes it seem like it's an adventure that they'll all be embarking on together rather than, say, Sonic and Tails meeting Amy and Knuckles on the way, it seems like a reasonable bet that they'll be together from the beginning.

(mind you, I also figured that the Deadly Six being so prominent in Lost World's trailers would mean that they'd have at least a little substance to them, so maybe don't trust my gut on this kind of thing)

On the other hand, having all of the characters meet for the first time would be an easy narrative excuse for anyone who has an altered backstory in this continuity to explain it to the audience by explaining it to the other characters. It all depends on how different Boom will actually be, which is still unclear.

Why not compromise?  If you want them to be established at the start as four friends, but also want to portray their origins and how they meet each other, there's an easy vehicle: Flashbacks.  ...Or maybe the 3DS version.

Although I still think it just means that their individual personalities and backgrounds affect how they respond to the villainous entity.  Sonic heroically wants to defeat X's evil plans, Tails is fascinated by X's technology and doesn't want to lose all this valuable learning, Knuckles has some grudge owing to the connection between X and his own ancient civilisation, Amy wants to study and understand X as an archaeologist - something like that.

I am loving all the detective work and analysis in this thread. Some great ideas. It's a "new, but ancient enemy" that is the true threat to our friends.

• Thumbs Up 6

I am loving all the detective work and analysis in this thread. Some great ideas. It's a "new, but ancient enemy" that is the true threat to our friends.

So it's an enemy we've never seen before and it's exclusive to this continuity? Sounds intersting.

So it's an enemy we've never seen before and it's exclusive to this continuity? Sounds intersting.

Or it could "ancient" in the sense that it's enemy we have known before but is brought back in such a revamped and even deadlier form that he/she is new and improved; practically a different foe. 

You guys are taking ancient way out of proportion. Anicent could mean something like a 2000 year old mummy

Hmm... speculation time for this villian!

Maybe the Ancient villian IS the creator of the ancient land and it angered by that the modern world started to overtake the ancient. The villian wants to destroy Sonic and Friends since they are from modern society and are not welcome to "its world"? In some of the concept artwork we see machinery and statues not completed and it looks like everything was abandon before some structure was ever finished. So maybe it was an civilzation there at some point but they left as they wanted to continue the "evolution" of the world. This ancient villian refused to do this and was abandon to itself in its own world....

...Alright I stop there, before it ends up as a fanfiction soon tongue.png

Another thing. Maybe the old returning characters, like Shadow, Rouge etc...will have some sort of connection to the story in the Wii U game, since Bob Rafei, Game developer was the one answering the "will we've see old characters returning?" with a "definetly". I don't think he would have said this, if they only would have appeared in the cartoon and not in the game at all.

I not sure what Shadow would be doing in the game, if all the old characters have just small cameo roles in the game, loosely connected to the plot(IF they appear). I think Rouge still would be a thief and the reason she is in this ancient world is to steal treasures from there, not much more, I think.

Even though its supposed to be an enemy that hasn't been in the series before, im gonna say its something akin to chaos (something related to the echidna's in some way).