Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I think it's a pretty clever compromise, actually. The TV series gets to be the pick-it-up-anywhere entry point, introducing new fans to the basics of the characters, while the game gets to tell a more in-depth story with higher stakes. Neither team has to worry about stepping on the other's toes, and kids who've experienced any part of the franchise will never have trouble getting into any other.

Not that I wouldn't have appreciated at least some mild continuity in the vein of something like Adventure Time, but maintaining a strict status quo hardly excludes Boom from being good (and likewise having arcs doesn't automatically make a show not bad, hello Sonic X). Honestly, I'm just happy that at least it seems like the games are going to try to do something meaningful.

...two meaningful somethings, actually, since apparently the 3DS version's going to have a separate story for once. So there's that?

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it's a pretty clever compromise, actually. The TV series gets to be the pick-it-up-anywhere entry point, introducing new fans to the basics of the characters, while the game gets to tell a more in-depth story with higher stakes. Neither team has to worry about stepping on the other's toes, and kids who've experienced any part of the franchise will never have trouble getting into any other.

Not that I wouldn't have appreciated at least some mild continuity in the vein of something like Adventure Time, but maintaining a strict status quo hardly excludes Boom from being good (and likewise having arcs doesn't automatically make a show not bad, hello Sonic X). Honestly, I'm just happy that at least it seems like the games are going to try to do something meaningful.

...two meaningful somethings, actually, since apparently the 3DS version's going to have a separate story for once. So there's that?

I don't really get all the hate though. I didn't think Sonic X was all that bad. I hated the alternate universe thing, how Chris' role always replaced that of a game character, and how 4Kids butchered the series (ESPECIALLY Series 2/Season 3), but overall I liked Sonic X.

I'd have preferred a "loose" continuity in this series. Just enough of an established continuity where things in previous entries did matter, but for the most part it'd be episode-by-episode with some things affecting future stories. This just seems like a copout and really makes me loose interest in the series.

Not saying it'll be bad, we still don't know much, but what little interest I had so far is dwindling.

Aye, so I just read about Sonic Boom having episodes being individual and not part of an ongoing story arc. My thoughts? Well, I think it can still be a good series and we could get a tiny bit of continuity. From the small chunk of Adventure Time I've seen (seasons 1 and 2) the show itself is like that. The series even started out random. There never really way a big story to it, however there was a bit of continuity. I believe the same will be done with Boom. Each episode will tell a story and perhaps we'll get an even referenced later on as a part of a joke or something. There really doesn't need to be continuity and if anything I think it's for the best.

Both SatAM and Underground had an ongoing story, however they both ended with cliffhangers. I read an interview with the creators of Underground and they stated that having continuity is risky business. You never know how successful your cartoon will be and you can't plan out a bunch of seasons without knowing that the series will actually last that long. I think it's smart with what they're doing with Boom so they never have to worry about "closing" the story too early or having drag on too long. Like others have stated, there's the game we can look forward to for the story, so there's always that we can look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 5

I honestly don't think the show will necessarily have no continuity at all. I'd say at most, endings that would jack up an aspect of, or the universe itself will be retconned, come the next episode, while other episode endings can be considered canon, alongside concepts or characters they introduce ala Courage the Cowardly Dog.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's going to be a lot like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. A lot of episodes in that are non-canon (since they often end with one of the characters dying), but at the same time, characters are sometimes recurring between episodes. What I think it means is that there won't be continuity NORMALLY, but characters can still re-appear and there will likely be a very brief mention of their past encounter.

It's something anyone can watch and not be scratching their head, which is a huge plus for something that wants to be mass marketed.

For some reason i get a. Classic Looney tunes vibe from this. Like how Bugs is running for mayor against Sam in one episode then the next time they are together it never brought up agian

I think it's going to be a lot like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. A lot of episodes in that are non-canon (since they often end with one of the characters dying), but at the same time, characters are sometimes recurring between episodes. What I think it means is that there won't be continuity NORMALLY, but characters can still re-appear and there will likely be a very brief mention of their past encounter.

It's something anyone can watch and not be scratching their head, which is a huge plus for something that wants to be mass marketed.

Ah, that's also similar to how they are doing Space Dandy.

Besides, continuity not being a main focus, might actually allow Eggman to win at the end of an episode or two.laugh.png Adds to the unpredictability. Aye, savvy?wink.png

Also, I have the inkling, that since why only saw a snippet of that Boom episode, The "Burn Bot" name debacle might actually be resolved and explained, or capitalized off of in the full episode.

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides, continuity not being a main focus, might actually allow Eggman to win at the end of an episode or two.laugh.png  Adds to the unpredictability. Aye, savvy?wink.png

I would actually love to see Eggman win. When he actually succeeds in beating Sonic a few times in the Archie comics it's not only refreshing, it also makes me love Eggman as a character even more. So I'm totally with you on this!

Also, I have the inkling, that since why only saw a snippet of that Boom episode, The "Burn Bot" name debacle might actually be resolved and explained, or capitalized off of in the full episode.

It's jet-propelled. It has afterburners on its back. If the name is actually supposed to mean anything at all (aside from "not an obvious thing to call the claw robot"), that's probably it.

Besides, continuity not being a main focus, might actually allow Eggman to win at the end of an episode or two.laugh.png  Adds to the unpredictability. Aye, savvy?wink.png

Which reminds me greatly of Mike Pollick playing up the details of Eggman being particularly evil in Boom. I'm enticed by the possibilities, no-holds barred now.

Sigh, I am sorry, but having a continuity is a nice thing, as it allows you to have reoccuring characters and story arcs that matter, and yet if handled properly it can be easy to make the series newcomer friendly, a great example of this is Gargoyles, where other than the multiparters you can jump in at any time without too much confusion, but still keep you curious enough to go to an earlier episode, and want to check out the series further, sadly few cartoons are like that anymore :(

I swear, I will watch EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of this show! I just hope it comes on Friday nights because honestly, I miss watching new episodes of shows on Cartoon Network. Remember RUCN this? I miss that! Pizza Night(more like repeat night) with Pizza Steve...not really feeling it. But I'll also settle for Saturday Morning too.

Y'know, that makes me think that if this comes on at night I need to invite members of Sonic Nevada over for a pizza party every week. tongue.png

Probably a Saturday morning show though. Alas, earwax!

I don't think Cartoon Network does Friday premieres anymore. Most of their action show premieres are Saturday morning these days.

I don't think Cartoon Network does Friday premieres anymore. Most of their action show premieres are Saturday morning these days.

As well as their hit shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show have premieres and new episodes on a Monday night block just before Adult Swim. 

Hmm, now I'm kinda hopeful for Monday night slots... some sort of slot later in the day would be nice for party purposes. But I suspect it'll be early morning on Saturdays given the target audience. If I'm not mistaken Regular Show and Adventure Time were meant to appeal to a more retro crowd and not just kids.

Sonic Boom might have a time slot in the morning because of the target audience but it would be cool if this would be around primetime because I remember what something said in the interview about some parts that do keep the adults entertained whereas most parts might be something the younger people will enjoy.

This should at some point premiere in the UK because Sonic was popular and recognisable there. Not sure if nothing has confirmed about it yet.

Didn't they say that the show was meant to appeal to all ages? I can imagine that some parents would be nostalgic about Sonic and watching Boom with their kids. So there's a possibility that it could air on a night time slot.

Here's a video/interview featuring details of Sonic Boom from Mike Pollick himself.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm definitely getting a Looney Tunes/Animaniacs/new!Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vibe from the previews, which I consider a good thing, but will definitely be a subjective vibe. If they can blend TMNT action with Animaniacs humor, then all will be well to me.

Jeez.. Mike Pollock can be exhausting to listen to. Just how little passion he has for what he does is enough to drain all your energy.

Jeez.. Mike Pollock can be exhausting to listen to. Just how little passion he has for what he does is enough to drain all your energy.

Well, he probably had more passion at one time, but now its just a job. He does endless voice acting just to get by and its probably drained him of any passion he once had. Freelance is nice in theory, but when you have to work your ass off to get anyway its really quite draining on the person doing the work... I do freelance web development and although I loved web development when I started, now it gets to be a pain in the butt and I lost a lot of passion I once had for building websites.

I'm going to try and spread myself out and get into indie game development, but the stress from my freelance work really makes it hard for me to do much else. I listened to that video for a while and it was interesting to see how similar things are for him as it is for me.

• Thumbs Up 3