Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

For the record, you mean all of that at once right and not just seperately?

I mean, I kinda get what you're saying and have some similar feelings. The odd thing is that since I get to keep the original verse, it kind of lightens my distaste and makes me look forward to it despite, or perhaps because it's separate.

And I see a silver lining in this. While you could very well say they're taking fan complaints and shoving it elsewhere, you could look at this to see its strong points that you've desired and continue to criticize Sonic Team for. Things like better writing and characterization, multiple characters, a detailed well connected lore, and room for growth. Sure, it came in the form of a completely different artstyle, but this is where it being a second series has another benefit of not screwing with the original verse's designs.

I guess I just also value a Sonic game on the elements it has. Always enjoyed said games because of the springs, the checkpoints, the monitors, the capsules, the slopes and level flow and speed-based movement, the Japanese-Western poppy style mixture. Boom's missing all of this and I hate to say it, but because of those reasons I'd probably enjoy another Lost World game over this (really don't want that as the next Sonic Team game though, since it was still not that good at all).

"I don't want to play a game with Sonic in it, I want to play a Sonic game" I guess is what I'm saying.

And SuperLink, yeah, I get what you mean. It's just depressing to me because it's another one of those moments where its all close but no cigar. Like always, there's a catch. It's like some flipping curse with the franchise.

- Some of the early 3D part of the franchises' finest but stuffed with alternate gameplay styles!

- A return to a brighter cartoonier style but with the catch of having a shoddy team system and basically no story!

- Want a massive world adventure brimming with content? Well you get that buuuuut you also get Sonic suffering from lycanthropy!

- A nice well-rounded game at the expense of having almost no ambition or extra content whatsoever!

- A great game that has enough to last you three hours!

- This time you get Spindashing and parkour back, but at the cost of being too much like Mario Galaxy and lacking just like the last two!

- You get the things you've been demanding in a Sonic game, now in a game that doesn't feel anything like Sonic!

I've just grown really weary of that feeling.

And you know what? I'm also tired of saying and thinking Sonic Team is incapable of a good game. To just say "oh we should just give up on them and let somebody else do it" is stupid. Their art and music teams are brilliant, their programmers were capable enough to make the Unleashed-Colors-Gens gameplay, and their writers.. well, benefit of the doubt there. But to just throw any hope for them out for this is just.. ugh. Its like out of the frying pan and into the fire for me.

ST can definitely make a great, even fantastic game. They just have to apply themselves. And I don't doubt they could if they just tried and applied some pressure to places that need it. I can't really find it in me to praise a game that does things I've been waiting on the Sonic series to do while it also deconstructs what I expect from a Sonic game, because then it's like Sonic never got these things at all. XD

• Thumbs Up 9

Keep in mind, we're barely penetrating the surface of the Sonic Boom game as it is. Maybe in time, it'll feel much more like a Sonic game to you.

I'm not sure it's a matter of Sonic Team applying themselves than what it is they need to apply themselves on more.

They need to apply themselves on consistency, not changing things up so drastically every new game or throwing in a catch when they hear our pleas. They need to apply themselves on especially on wisdom, knowing where it is they failed so they can do better instead of failing and never trying again, or knowing which ideas will set some alarms off, how to apply ideas and avoid alarms, and listen to input that is done to help improve and build instead of raging and wanting to delete, break up, or stagnate when doing so doesn't fix the problem.

They also need to apply themselves on handling criticism too.

We can say Sonic Team can make a great game, but if we were to be real with ourselves that great game continues to come at a catch that isn't in our benefit a lot of the time.

Also...

On the subject of this being different from the "normal" Sonic....well duh, its a spin off, that's kind of the point. Spin offs aren't supposed to be like a main line game.:V

I need to point out that ShTH was a spin-off that was actually suppose to be a main line game, so we need to disspell that notion that spin-offs are supposed to be like a main line game, because that's not necessarily true. It doesn't have to be a main line game is more like it, which is why I think Boom benefits this way instead of the other way we once feared.

You know Sonic Boom isn't a Sonic game when it doesn't have one of these:

167px-Dash_Panel_in_Heroes_and_06_II.pngDash_Panel_Sawnik_de_Hedge_Hog_4.png

• Thumbs Up 9

Give it time. With any luck, we won't have them being spammed across the game for once.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to admit, I have gotten sick of defending Sonic Team on the pretense that they MIGHT finally learn from past experiences and give us what we want, especially when we've now got a dev team actually showing us what they can do when they put their minds right to it!

I know. I'm just not happy with what this other team is giving us either, for completely different reasons.

Its just not a good time to be a Sonic fan with similar interests to me right now. :\

• Thumbs Up 1

So first people complain there's too many boost pads. Then as soon as a trailer for a new Sonic game doesn't show them it's not a Sonic game. Alrighty then.

By the way I'm almost certain they will be in the game. But them not being all over the place is probably a good thing.

Might this game actually feature...MOMENTUM use again after all these years?

And you know what? I'm also tired of saying and thinking Sonic Team is incapable of a good game. To just say "oh we should just give up on them and let somebody else do it" is stupid. Their art and music teams are brilliant, their programmers were capable enough to make the Unleashed-Colors-Gens gameplay, and their writers.. well, benefit of the doubt there.

I dunno. Even if they've got the art, the music, the writing (i mean let's just assume for the moment that they do), and the programming, that doesn't mean they actually understand the direction to go in. All the technical proficiency in the world doesn't mean squat if they don't understand how to apply it to a Sonic game (that's really how I feel about BoomGame; everyone involved seems competent enough, they just aren't really making a Sonic game). And I don't think they've had that understanding since the Adventures, and it was fading even then. With the series as mixed up as it's become, with so much time having passed, I'm not sure it'll ever come back to them.

Might this game actually feature...MOMENTUM use again after all these years?

Nope. Everything about this game screams the exact opposite.
  • Thumbs Up 1

SuperLink, I agree with everything you say! I wish Sonic Team could put everything into their next game and I know that they can somehow, but they just...don't do it, or can't for whatever reason.

This is definitely not the same Sonic Team as the one who made SA1 and even Sonic Unleashed! It's so sad that Sonic Team is listening too much to critics nowadays and less to the fans, you know the ones who demand the stuff that Sonic Boom is getting.

Whatever game Sonic Team is working on now concerns me because it might be very similar to what we've been getting since Sonic Colours. These guys just won't change, and I don't think they ever will. Expect a SLW type game with better graphics, possibly smoother parkour controls and more Deadly Six hijinks.

Nope. Everything about this game screams the exact opposite.

I'll get back to you once we've actually seen more than 45 seconds of the game, let alone "Everything".

more Deadly Six hijinks.

Now that I actually won't mind. But yeah, Sonic Team needs to step their game up severely if they don't want to possibly lose their audience(s) to Red Button and Sanzorou.

For the record, you mean all of that at once right and not just seperately?

I mean, I kinda get what you're saying and have some similar feelings. The odd thing is that since I get to keep the original verse, it kind of lightens my distaste and makes me look forward to it despite, or perhaps because it's separate.

And I see a silver lining in this. While you could very well say they're taking fan complaints and shoving it elsewhere, you could look at this to see its strong points that you've desired and continue to criticize Sonic Team for. Things like better writing and characterization, multiple characters, a detailed well connected lore, and room for growth. Sure, it came in the form of a completely different artstyle, but this is where it being a second series has another benefit of not screwing with the original verse's designs.

The thing is is that even though Sega intend to keep this separate, if Sonic Boom is popular, then it's guaranteed to effect the main series. That isn't automatically bad, but Iizuka has been known to take the success of a certain things in the 'wrong way'.

You like Shadow? Let me tell you about how he was descended from a eldritch abomination. People want 2d Sonic games? Sonic 4! Sonic Colours was popular? More wisps!

• Thumbs Up 6

I'd rather see Silver mummified like the rest of these Boom characters than more of the Deadly Six to be honest.

The thing is is that even though Sega intend to keep this separate, if Sonic Boom is popular, then it's guaranteed to effect the main series. That isn't automatically bad, Iizuka has been known to take the success of a certain things in the 'wrong way'.

You like Shadow? Let me tell you about how he was descended from a eldritch abomination. People want 2d Sonic games? Sonic 4! Sonic Colours was popular? More wisps!

If this was the case, then Archie would have influenced the main series a long time ago.

I'd rather see Silver mummified like the rest of these Boom characters than more of the Deadly Six to be honest.

I believe she was talking about the Sonic Team canon.

The thing is is that even though Sega intend to keep this separate, if Sonic Boom is popular, then it's guaranteed to effect the main series. That isn't automatically bad, Iizuka has been known to take the success of a certain things in the 'wrong way'.

I'd be skeptical of that happening for the time being, especially given how they're still going to produce the main games. If that were to come true, it'll be a while.

I'll get back to you once we've actually seen more than 45 seconds of the game, let alone "Everything".

If there were going to be momentum physics, you'd think there'd be a few hills or curves visible in the trailer. But no, the game's flatter even than Mario games.
  • Thumbs Up 5

I just really don't see the appeal of the Deadly Six at all. They purposefully lack depth, their designs are hit and miss and just about everything they say and do makes me cringe. That's really saying something given the unbelievable amounts of cheese the series has subjected me to.

Can we just.. have Eggman and only Eggman? All these other villains are crap.

If this was the case, then Archie would have influenced the main series a long time ago.

To be honest I think it  has, the thing is it's not obvious unless we can see a world where it never existed.

Franchises act like an echo chamber. The imitated becomes the imitator.

If there were going to be momentum physics, you'd think there'd be a few hills or curves visible in the trailer. But no, the game's flatter even than Mario games.

Did you miss the part of the trailer where Sonic spin-dashed up a ramp?

One. One ramp. In a section showing off character-specific abilities.

That's not momentum physics. That's Sonic using his "spindash" key on the "ramp" door to progress.

• Thumbs Up 7

This is supported by this screenshot:

12354703574_f88eb474cb_o.png

She can clearly swing on poles with her hammer, but as Blue Blood pointed out, there's also that other similar structure below. Perhaps she can balance herself and walk around on it? It's an interesting idea to give Amy a unique ability compared to her friends, aside from the giant hammer of course! At least it makes more sense than invisibility.

Well it looks like Amy is going to have some Sly Cooper action going on if that's how they're going to handle her gameplay, I'm perfectly  fine with that.