Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Well then, the only example we've had of his level design is from an unfinished game whose levels are impossible to be figured out. If that actually raises your hopes about the level design of the game, I have nothing else to add.

You mean a game which he wasn't credited for as level designer?

If that's the case, then may the better handled Sonic franchise deservedly win.

Then the winner can eat the loser and gain its powers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Then the winner can eat the loser and gain its powers.

hqdefault.jpg

ultimately leading to the grand revival of the megaman series

• Thumbs Up 3

Are we still going to have... Normal Sonic?

Yes.

This is like the Megaman X of the Sonic series basically

• Thumbs Up 4

Are we still going to have... Normal Sonic?

Yes. SEGA has made it pretty clear this is just a side thing by different developers.

Dangit Wraith >:U

I'd compare it to Megaman and something like Battle Network, though. Megaman X is the same continuity as classic Megaman, just set in the future.

Edited by ElementofChaos

Has anyone pointed out the Nintendo UK pages?

Wii U:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Sonic-Boom-854758.html

3DS:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Sonic-Boom-854765.html

The Wii U page lists the GamePad as the only controller option. Hope that doesn't mean local co-op isn't an option. 

So the show is out 'later on this year.'....and the game is 'coming soon'....

Possible implication that the game will come out before the show? Summer, maybe?

Are you trying to put it all in a better light?

If you're trying to bring down the potential level design on account of a role he wasn't credited to in a previous cancelled game then the real person you should be gunning for is the project lead for this game - who was previously responsible for bringing out games like Uncharted 1, Crash and the Jak games, as well as bringing a plethora of older vets who have worked not only with Naughty Dog but also the Ratchet & Clank games.

Singling out one entity strikes me as counterintuitive and isn't really disproving my original statement, the team at it's surface value has a good record with people who have made games that were highly successful.

• Thumbs Up 5

So the show is out 'later on this year.'....and the game is 'coming soon'....

Possible implication that the game will come out before the show? Summer, maybe?

They did said the game is a prequel to the show.

If I'm honest, you know what the worst part about this is? It's not Buffles, it's not blue arms, it's not the combat and it's not the lack of Sonicy gameplay elements. It's the platforms. Before the Wii U started tanking miserably, I was happy to advocate Sonic being Nintendo exclusive. But now that will stand as a big obstacle to what SEGA will want to be launching in a big way. Assuming the final products are good, I hope the 3DS version and TV show will ensure it's a success, unlike the other two games in the exclusivity deal.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I'm honest, you know what the worst part about this is? It's not Buffles, it's not blue arms, it's not the combat and it's not the lack of Sonicy gameplay elements. It's the platforms. Before the Wii U started tanking miserably, I was happy to advocate Sonic being Nintendo exclusive. But now that will stand as a big obstacle to what SEGA will want to be launching in a big way. Assuming the final products are good, I hope the 3DS version and TV show will ensure it's a success, unlike the other two games in the exclusivity deal.

On the other hand, if this turns out great, its exclusivity along with SSB4, MK8, X, and Hyrule warriors, not to mention any Unannounced titles could seriously help turn around the wii-u, especialy since nintendo has realized they have a problem

• Thumbs Up 1

Footage looks REALLY cool and I'm definitely interested in seeing how former Naughty Dog devs tackle the series. Multiple playable characters and multiplayer is also really nice. Can't wait to see more!

I'm really looking forward to this game, especially now that we know this isn't replacing the main series. I despised Sola Sonica, and that's finally over. Of course we haven't seen that much of gameplay and level design yet, but I think what we have seen looks cool. The environments are beautiful and give me a major Unleashed vibe. Speaking of which, it appears Knuckles will be a faster, more fun Werehog, that's a good thing.

I really dug the Jak games, and I'm glad that the Jak guys are working on this. Tails will probably be a faster Jak, judging by the millisecond that we saw him shoot a laser. Amy will probably be a faster, more combat-based version of her Adventure gameplay, which is great. These developers know how to make fun combat. Sonic will probably be his old self, which is another good thing.

The Jak trilogy had really engaging stories, but also had a great sense of humor. I hope they bring that same feel to Sonic Boom, it would feel so right for Sonic. Not to mention it would fit really well with the world and environment in this.

But they better not put that music in the game. Not only do I find dubstep to be atrocious, it's also horribly unfitting for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm really looking forward to this game, especially now that we know this isn't replacing the main series. I despised Sola Sonica, and that's finally over.

Same here. Although part of me suspects that when Sonic Team comes out with another game we'll head right back into Sola Sonica.

But they better not put that music in the game. Not only do I find dubstep to be atrocious, it's also horribly unfitting for Sonic.

It's not. Sega's been using popular music in trailers for a while now, remember "Tenderoni" being used for Generations' trailers or "Cinema" for Lost Worlds?

The more details they have been revealing about Sonic Boom the more interested I am towards the game. Multiple characters and switchable on the fly, hubworlds, 2D-3D hybrid levels with multiple pathways to choose, the environments and designs looking 'n runnin' gorgeous under CryEngine 3... so far seems like a game that could raise up the bar in the series (without even being part of the mainline universe!), and I am seriously expecting both Big Red Button and Sanzaru to deliver all of this. Still remaining cautiously optimistic, but man... cannot deny it all sounds and looks pretty ambitious for the franchise.

Surprisingly, I am growing on the revealed concept and design of all the characters. Yep, I am starting to like them quite a bit (being on its own separate canon, of course). X3

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this will sell Wii U's to be honest; before this announcement, I wasn't planing to pick up a Wii U for at least another year or two and get a PS4 this fall....but with this games announcement and the fact the team behind it is full of talent from amazing games like Crash/Jak/Ratchet, I will get a Wii U this fall if this game is a great as I'm expecting it to be :).

Its unrealistic to think that this game will save the Wii U, but if you have some talent from the Naughty Gods working on your platform, people will come if that fact is pushed enough. Besides, the 3ds Versions of Generations and (I think?) Lost World did very well, so Sega will get the money back from this game, and if this game ends up being really good, I'm sure Sega will get BRB/Sanzaru to make another Sonic Boom tittle :).

I think this will sell Wii U's to be honest; before this announcement, I wasn't planing to pick up a Wii U for at least another year or two and get a PS4 this fall....but with this games announcement and the fact the team behind it is full of talent from amazing games like Crash/Jak/Ratchet, I will get a Wii U this fall if this game is a great as I'm expecting it to be smile.png.

Its unrealistic to think that this game will save the Wii U, but if you have some talent from the Naughty Gods working on your platform, people will come if that fact is pushed enough. Besides, the 3ds Versions of Generations and (I think?) Lost World did very well, so Sega will get the money back from this game, and if this game ends up being really good, I'm sure Sega will get BRB/Sanzaru to make another Sonic Boom tittle smile.png.

The only thing I am concerned about in that regards though is marketing. I seriously hope SEGA (or even Nintendo if they end up being the publishers in Europe) markets the hell out of that game and make it successful on the Wii U. It'd seriously benefit both the Wii U and any future Nintendo-SEGA partnerships.

From the looks of it, this game has so much potential to become a great entry in the franchise; let's hope the marketing and the subsequent sales are very decent as well.

EDIT: Not to mention, considering this is part of the cartoon series it would be a serious issue if the game wasn't marketed properly.

Edited by Kaabiitorori

Has anyone pointed out the Nintendo UK pages?

The Wii U page lists the GamePad as the only controller option. Hope that doesn't mean local co-op isn't an option. 

Um.. it's been confirmed there is local coop.

The game looks amazing so far. Makes me wonder what sega can really do on the ps4 and xbox one. But as much as I love it it does not really justify me buying a wii u. Not till another price drop at least.

The game looks amazing so far. Makes me wonder what sega can really do on the ps4 and xbox one. But as much as I love it it does not really justify me buying a wii u. Not till another price drop at least.

You can get a Wii U for $220 if you look hard enough. The perfect time to pick one up with Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Lost World, 3D World, and Boom coming out.

Um.. it's been confirmed there is local coop.

Clearly, we'll need multiple Gamepads to play multiplayer in this game.

inb4 "limited edition" Sonic Boom gamepad designs