Awoo.

The Boondocks

turbojet

Welp I got nothin' but good vibes. The episode had me laughin', and it has the same feel as the other seasons. I have a good feelin' this is gonna be a great season for the Boondocks. :D

I'm not gonna be too worried about this season. The episode was a bit fast-paced, but it still had the same brand of hilarity and genius quotes hidden under harsh realities. I loved the episode. Already counting down to next week.

Those opening credits though. Jesus that sequence was depressing... Reused scenes from previous openings, and the lack of any names for the first bit. But the worst part came at the end of the opening when McGruder's name wasn't there. It was just sorta like one big awkward pause for me where something should've been.

Watching the episode itself right now.

EDIT: Something DOES feel off about this episode, but it was still a decent showing. I feel like this season is gonna be different, but good nonetheless. 

Apparently this is going to be the final season too, though. I suppose it's possible whoever was left working on it didn't want to continue the series if McGruder wasn't brought back on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it goes On Demand the day after. Not quite sure how AdultSwim.com does it, but I would assume the same time line at the least.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this topic because the latest episode "Freedom Ride or Die" is probably the worst episode in the show IMO. While the Boondocks always relies heavily on parody and satire of current and historical events there was always some form of social commentary in it or at least building up to a significant moral or truth by the end of the episode/season. This episode did neither, being mostly an exploitative power fantasy that trivialized the efforts of those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement. The only hope for this episode is that it's setting up for something later on in the season that would retroactively give it some purpose.

I've had my doubts about the season so far ever since "Good Times" which I felt flanderized granddad's character to make some cheap references to the Good Times theme song. However I'm willing to give it a pass if they can do something interesting with the Freeman family regaining their freedom by the end of the season. Luckily the other 3 episodes this season have been decent, despite all focusing on African American women's struggles with finding self-worth and identity in western society. It is a good topic to focus on but I hope there are different ones in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Got caught up on this and watched episode 8, 9 and 10 and goddamn was it sooo funny.

Is anyone still watching this here? Still enjoying it?

The season sucked pretty hard, but I'd say Freedom Ride or Die was the only one that had any vestiges of the quality of the earlier episodes. The iPhone episode was pretty funny, but it didn't seem like an episode of the Boondocks. The Stinkmeaner episode was great up until Wuncler came in. Then it just got kind of sad, the way most of the other episodes were.

• Thumbs Up 3

Fourth season had a severe case of cash cow episodes. There were a few in the third season, which is why I was surprised they were bringing it back. Lots of the episodes lacked the themes that the first two seasons carried. Kind of felt like a 'sell out' season, I'm not surprised Aaron McGruder walked when he did. Then again, he's probably more interested with producing Black Jesus anyway.

The humor was there. It was witty. But the plots were very simple and cliche.