Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

And that there wasn't an evil counterpart to the Mane 6 at all!?

There

is, they just haven't appeared "in-person", so to speak. They're on one of the covers and make a cameo in the comic on wanted posters, but that's about it. For some reason I feel like they won't be showing up, since I'm not sure what role they'd play exactly, considering the current issue made pretty clear that the heroes can't really take on the evil sisters--and even if they could, hurting them hurts the good versions of them back in the normal 'verse.

Personally, as cool as the evil main cast would be, I'd prefer seeing these characters. But they're even less likely to appear, hence why I'm holding out for a side story featuring this alternate universe someday. tongue.png

Brandnew Equestria Games image with Spike back in the Crystal Empire.

20c24a323908234.jpg

This episode feels kinda…average almost meh in a way. I guess I could place it on the same level on Somepony to Watch Over Me as it had an interesting ending too. 

Though I would have liked to see more of the games and in its entirety as Hasbro tried to advertise it as in a possible two-parter and maybe make it more of an Animalympics parody with sports commentators doing much of the narrating. The whole part with the games felt wasted in this episode esp. with the buildup to it.

I liked Spike during some parts with the beginning and the end, but some of the stuff in between felt cringe worthy with the whole Spike being psychic thing and him singing the Cloudsdale anthem. I also liked some of the Pinkie antics too with her being the loudest pony in the crowd. Also, the whole ordeal with Twilight was making me miss her pre-Princess Unicorn even more when she wasn’t seating with her friends. Not to mention her pulling a Celestia 2.0 again with her telling Spike the moral despite Celestia and Luna being there who absolutely did jack squat and barely spoke and felt wasted as well. 

Also, Harshwhinny’s idea of Spike doing a rock concert sounds more interesting and entertaining than Rainbow Rocks. 

Overall this ep was kinda average for the most part with Spike saving the day in the end being the highlight and some decent character development for him. Brought down by how wasted potential the Equestria Games were and wished there were more events and felt that it should have been a two parter for this after all the buildup. Not to mention Celestia and Luna felt wasted as well.

Because of my graduation ceremony next week is from 9AM to noon, I’m going to be missing the finale premiere (unless it gets leaked early). I’m more interested in Discord and the new villain than the whole princess angle which I can probably guess what might happen with the synopses and that Hasbro “spoiled” with Rainbow Power and Kingdom. I could see the princesses giving Twi their power, but it probably isn’t enough and uses her new powers to give to her friends that initiates Rainbow Power to beat the bad guy/girl and that also unlocks the box which happens to be her new castle. Or Twi uses that power to activate the keys to unlock Rainbow Power from the box to defeat the villain(es) and somehow it also give her a castle as well in the process. Also, Twilight gives back the princesses their powers and everything is back to normal for the most part until next season. At least, that’s how I see it going down in the final part.

That was a fun episode.

I'm actually impressed that Rainbow Dash wasn't all about winning this time and was actually ok with winning 2nd place. That's some great character development right there.

Speaking of character development. I absolutely loved how they handled Twilight telling Spike the truth about her lighting up the fire instead of him instead of keeping the whole thing a secret.

Spike's singing of the Cloudsdale anthem was hilariously bad. It was even more funny how Pinkie was grinning throughout the whole thing. I do like how he pulled off one of the most badass moves towards the end though.

I thought the Equestrian games were pretty cool. I thought the unicorn spell disabler was a clever idea. The Crystal Archery was an interesting event too. It was nice to see Derpy make multple appearances as well.

Finally, we finally get to see Celestia again since the season premiere. I'm disappointed that neither she or Luna had any lines throughout the episode though.

All in all, a nice ending for the last single episode of Season 4. I'm looking forward to seeing how Season 4 will end next week.

Well that was certainly a fun and interesting one:

Pros:

- What is this? Spike being treated with some dignity?! Wow, a couple minutes in and this episode is already pulling ahead of most of the previous episodes.

- So much continuity here, even down to the way Spike tried to light himself (same animation as in Apple Family Reunion). It's funny how a couple years back we would have never taken this show as having a set timeline.

- So many interesting background ponies in this. I actually saw a lot of familiar faces as well.

- Cool, we get to see some royalty in this episode. Blue Blood, Cadence, Shining, Celestia, and... LUUUUUUNAAAAAA!!!!!

*Not really a spoiler*

4fwc.jpg

Also, this picture perfectly sums up For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils.

- I did like how Twilight broke the news to Spike about her actually lighting the torch. Much better than having be the secret be the main plot behind the episode.

- A neat little idea with making Unicorns go through security. Though, it really doesn't go anywhere.

- I found Pinkie to be quite hilarious in this.

- The lyrics Spike comes up with had me chuckling.

- This episode had quite a nice resolution and moral.

Cons:

- While I oddly do like the way Twilight was handled for the most part (did some princess stuff but still hung out with her friends afterwards), there were some parts where I started to roll my eyes. Especially when she gave Spike the moral. Yeah, it was well written but really now? Celestia, Luna, and Cadence were right there! They, by every right, should have given Spike that moral. But, you know, heaven forbid an important character to the show's history do anything important in an actual episode.

- While I found some laughs in them, way too much time was spent in cringe worthy situations. I actually started to look away from the screen during some of it.

- This was a good episode in it's own right, but I have to say after all the build up over the past few seasons I did leave wanting more. Maybe more time spent on the actual competition with a bigger underlining event or something.

Overall, this was definitely entertaining. For every bad moment it had there were at least three more good ones that made up for it. Definitely one I'll revisit soon... Though, saying this I'd still only give it a 5/10. Why? Because Luna (like in season 3's finale) didn't get one god damn line! D:<

And with that, were heading into the finale! Wow, this season seemed to fly by. I'll save my full thoughts for after the finale but man, this was one hell of a ride. Again, like the other episodes of the season I'm going in blind (seriously, all I know is that Twilight is going to be in it) so my expectations are leveled. Though, I am hoping for some more justification for Twilight even becoming a princess as well as some foreshadowing for season 5... and more Luna. Welp, here's hoping for a big finish!

• Thumbs Up 1

Two good Spike episodes? In the same season? In a row? What is this madness?

After all these years it's nice to have a story (other than FF #3) that shows how Spike is really helpful BECAUSE he's different from ponies, not in spite of it. Unfortunately I feel this episode will get negatively judged based on the unfulfilled hype of the Equestria Games. With several connected episodes and over a year of anticipation having it all amount to the backdrop of a single episode Spike story is really underwhelming.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OWT8eXThx0

This is the most important video you will ever watch about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

So that's what she's been doing all Season...

On a more serious note, I quite enjoyed Equestria Games. I like how it tied into the episodes leading up to the games themselves. Shining and Cadance got what they wanted by hosting the games, Rainbow Dash was a great leader and didn't mind getting second place...okay, with her all-time heroes being the ones to beat her but still, and Spike got some recognition for saving the Empire and learned a pretty damn good lesson (one of my favourites in the series!), 

I also gave into spoilery temptation and watched the little teaser/trailer for the finale and...wow, next week is gonna be interesting. I wonder why they're being kinda secretive about the new big bad...but then again that's in comparison to Discord, who appeared prominently in a clip released like, a month before the S2 premiere.

• Thumbs Up 2

And with that, were heading into the finale! Wow, this season seemed to fly by. I'll save my full thoughts for after the finale but man, this was one hell of a ride. Again, like the other episodes of the season I'm going in blind (seriously, all I know is that Twilight is going to be in it) so my expectations are leveled. Though, I am hoping for some more justification for Twilight even becoming a princess as well as some foreshadowing for season 5... and more Luna. Welp, here's hoping for a big finish!

Justification? Eh, I don't know. Even after the finale and into S5 and beyond, I wouldn't be surprised the whole Twilight “princess” thing will continue on the route of S4 where princesshood still gets downplayed and is just blatant plot convenience/contrivance, used whenever the writers need it (most likely season premieres/finales) and gets ignored in some time and places. All the while Twilight steadily grows into a Celestia clone in the process with traits like OCD-ness and insecurities being removed. 

Though IMO it isn't Twilight that needs the princess development, but rather the other princesses themselves that really do need it as it has been over 4 seasons/years and still there haven’t much development for them. I don’t understand why it has to be Twilight in the princess spotlight when they have three others to work with and because “Mane Cast” status is a poor excuse.

This does bring a pressing concern for character development for future episodes/seasons for me (as well as Seasonal Rot and writing quality being lowered tied into that of course). How much can you build the Mane Cast, CMC, and Spike's characterization/development and how much friendship/life lessons can squeeze out of them at this point without risk of flanderization, repeated lessons and major OOC and character derailment? Unless they’re willing to cut the whole Aesop/friendship lessons, one of the shows huge staples, which I don’t mind being gone, but for others, it’ll be off-putting. Also, can’t dismiss that there’s a possibility of some kind of time skip as well (2-3 year skip where CMC/Spike are more mature I’m fine with; double digit time skip 10 years and over, very sketchy and uncertain). Sure, there’s CMC’s Cutie Mark journey and RD with the Wonderbolts still going on, but you could probably end their arcs in 1-3 eps at this point. 

I think it would be best for future seasons to expand and build upon side and maybe background characters and have episodes centered on Big Mac, Pipsqueak, Lyra, Vinyl, the princesses, etc. Giving the Mane Cast a break every once in a while. (As for princesses, it’ll be interesting if subjects like major wars and battles esp. on screen are further explored in the show, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Hasbro has a mandate on such things that lead to death and diplomacy disputes and talks are as far as they go because ‘it’s a show for little girls’). 

Yeah, I'm jumping the gun a bit before the finale and looking beyond that, but I just can't help but let it out at this point and been weighing heavy on my mind lately. 

Equestria Games was a great epsiode.

Anyway some of the few fan arts of the Saddle Arabian horses.

4lkq5k.png

Listening to the song that Celestia, Cadence and Luna sing in the finale, they make a decent song trio.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our finale baddie has a name! It's...

Tirek from Gen 1!

Should be interesting to see he's handled in THIS incarnation.

• Thumbs Up 3

I pretty much don't know anything outside of G4, but its always nice to see old characters reimagined no matter the franchise. From the pictures I'm looking at from G1, he looks pretty different in FiM from what I can see. Looks more like some sort of monkey than a centaur. Maybe with the more magic he steals, the bigger and stronger he grows? I dunno, just a thought.

Not gonna listen to the song until the finale airs, but its nice to know they're getting one. Looking forward to hearing it.

Some people had guessed Tirek since that promo where we saw part of his face for a few moments, but I was skeptical. Really glad I was wrong, it's cool to see some love for the older generations. Now I can't help but wonder if this means G1 is canon to G4 to some extent, as unlikely as that sounds. Either way, I'm sure he'll be in a G4-style centaur form at some point.

Season 5 will have 26 episodes and is coming in 2015. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it really started late 2014 since back when season 4 was announced it was slated for 2014, but really started late 2013.

My thoughts on the new villain and song preview:

From the looks like it, he has to be one of the most darkest if not the darkest villain yet! It's interesting to see how a G1 villain is remade for G4.

As for the song: Yes! My hopes of Luna singing has been answered! Even better that they have all three Princesses singing!

Also, heads up, there's a very spoiler-filled review of the episode out now, so spoilers are most likely going out in the wild. I'm surprised the person who did the review wasn't put until a strict NDA by Hasbro until after the episode aired.

My thoughts on the upcoming season finale...

Wow, I wasn't expecting ol' Tirek to make an appearance. At most, I was expecting more of an expy of Tirek than a re-imagining of the character 

Well, I'm pleased with the news. I've always loved old characters coming back with a new design, so Tirek coming back is welcome, and it looks like they're keeping the overall grimdark personality of this character from G1.

I am so looking forward to seeing this finale! =D

Has it started already Nix?

Has it started already Nix?

It's over.

And holy shit.

That was amazing.

It might be replayed here. I only saw the second episode, but that was INTENSE. Had a really action-packed fight sequence for a show like MLP.

EDIT: Yes, there will be a replay there in a little bit. Keep your eyes peeled!

Odd, it started earlier than usual.

Overall it was a good season finale. The first part did a good job of building up everything, but the second part was clearly where the meat was.

I was very surprised, yet happy that Luna finally sang! Even better with all three Princesses singing the song at once!

Triek was nicely redesigned from G1. His motivations was cliche, but in terms of being a villain of G4, I think he's one of the darkest ones I've seen yet.

I have to see John De Lancie put on a great performance here and I absolutely love the character development of Discord as well. I always wondered whether he would ever break on join the dark side again since his reformation felt like it could break at any moment, but I'm glad how they portrayed how he realized he was wrong in the end.

As for the rainbow powers, there's no doubt that was an order from Hasbro. Thankfully they only lasted for a brief moment and looked like they were a one time thing since I was not a fan of those designs at all. While the final fight was too DBZ-like, it was pretty epic.

However, the biggest surprise was Twilight's library being destroyed and a castle being put in place of it. I'm really going to miss that library since it's been a staple of the series since the beginning, and I think the castle's design clashes too much with the overall architecture of Ponyville. Seeing that library gone truly marks an era of the series and the beginning of another.

With all that said, it's been a fun ride and I'm curious as to what direction the series in go in next.

I'm really interested in Season 5 right now because there's that small possibility that Scorpan could be a big part of it.  I felt he played too big of a role in Tirek's backstory to simply not show up ever.  I was half expecting Scorpan to show up at some point to help the Mane 6.

Ah well, it's time for the big pony drought... well there's a movie coming along.

Oh, and since I don't think it's been posted yet, here's the Rarity short.  Even if it has, it deserves to be posted again.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really was not expecting a full scale magical battle towards the end. I kept asking to myself if I really was watching a kids show, after seeing Twilight getting smacked around a few times by Tirek.

Well, that was a good ending to a somewhat lackluster season.