Awoo.

Should Sega replace Dimps with Taxman & Stealth?

8ther

Yes and no.

Yes because Taxman & Stealth does make better ports and 2D games than Dimps do.

No because Taxman & Stealth are just two fans whereas Dimps has 100 times more people so likely doubt they will be producing a big project I mean how is it possible for two people to work on a massive AAA title.

Nope.

I'd rather have what Dimps have to offer than a bunch of masterpieces butchered by a bunch of guys

Sure they screwed up with the 3DS version of Generations and that sadly makes people over look their great games like the Advance and Rush series (not to mention Sonic Pocket Adventure and a bunch of other great non-Sonic games)

It's disappointing people only point out things when they're wrong

Nope.

I'd rather have what Dimps have to offer than a bunch of masterpieces butchered by a bunch of guys

Um... how, exactly, did Stealth and Taxman "butcher" CD, 1 & 2? If anything, even taking into account that they're mostly ports/remakes for mobile devices (with touch controls), they're pretty much the definitive versions of all those games.

• Thumbs Up 5

They most certainly should not replace Dimps, but maybe Sega could work out some sort of collaboration.  As stated before numerous times, Tax and Stealth are but two guys.  Extremely talented guys, but only two nonethelesss.  However, having them collaborate with Dimps and Sonic Team in terms of development of a game could potentially lead to something amazing (assuming that Tax/Stealth have are put in a significant enough position to have a strong forward impact on overall technical development).  However there's also the risk that they don't mesh together well at all.

Nope.

This doesn't make any sense.  In what way have Tax and Stealth butchered the classics?  In all three of the remakes they've done they crafted what is easily the definitive version of the game.  Sonic CD being a very prominent case, with the option to have either soundtrack, choose between CD and Sonic 2 spindash, playable Tails, fixed collision detection in a number of places and more.  It's easily the best way to play the game.  The only issue really is down to controls, and that's due to the platform rather than the developer (the controls work well technically for the platform, but honestly trying to do good precision platforming on a touch screen is really finicky to me).

I would honestly rather have Dimps just be guided in a better direction, maybe by Taxman and Stealth themselves. I don't like the idea of shafting a whole company, they were clearly rushed for Generations, and I think there was a bit of interference from Sega on Sonic 4, like not being allowed to take risks and such. Dimps is capable of making good Sonic games, like Sonic Advance. Still, I do agree Taxman and Stealth deserve the chance to make an original Sonic game from the ground up, so we can truly see what they're capable of.

a bunch of masterpieces butchered by a bunch of guys

I notice you've said this quite a few times. I wish you would elaborate as to why you think this because what you're saying doesn't make any sense and comes across as kind of bullshitty. 

I mean I love the originals versions, but the mobile versions are better in every way imaginable.

The enhanced mobile releases of the classic's have showcased the excellent talents of Stealth and Taxman. This doesn't automatically mean they could just go ahead and make a good 3d game, let alone a new 2d game.

I would rather have StealthTax give Sonic 3&K the same treatment. Then be given the chance to give Knuckles Chaotix a massive overhaul, to make a far better - more complete - final product. Then, only then could SEGA even consider allowing their involvement in a brand new 2d Sonic game.

As for Dimps, SEGA obviously like the company despite a lot of their Sonic games being a long way short of excellence, so I think Dimps will be around for a while yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmmm...

Even though Taxman and Stealth are very talented developers, with Taxman also worked on the RetroSonic fangame (even ported a demo to the Dreamcast) and Stealth porting Sonic 1 to the GBA unofficially plus worked on a fangame and an editor himself so they know quite a lot of the ins and outs of a 2D classic style game, I do think these two making a Sonic game themselves might be very stressful considering that the development cycle might be short either resulting in a rushed game or a short game. Probably a good option would be if they teamed up with another studio like Blit Software who ported Sonic CD and Jet Set Radio to the consoles/PC, team up with Hardlight since they both are in mobile development or form a small studio where they can hire some people (also people from Retro like MarkeyJester?) to make the game. Then again the last Western 2D style original Sonic game to my knowledge was from Backbone who aren't around anymore, even then Sonic Rivals seemed very short and rushed (no clue regarding Sonic Rivals 2).

Sega will still use Dimps to develop games and probably relating to some Japanese business culture as well (like how Sega used SIMS and Aspect much of the 90s, still used them after that time for a couple of games e.g. Aspect with the Rent a Hero remake, SIMS with the Sega Bass Fishing remake or like how Sega is using M2 to make accurate emulation of older games) so until either Sega or Dimps has had enough, they will keep going making side project Sonic games. I do think Dimps might need a bit of a morale increase judging by their past couple of games though since they were either rushed, had a few design problems or both. Maybe give them a new Sonic game to make that wasn't inspired by another game or an alternative version to a console game.

Would also be interesting if M2 made a Sonic game since they probably would be sort of like a StealthTax approach and have the manpower to able to make a game however this might hinder their emulation projects. They did do a remake of Fantasy Zone II from scratch though (the remake had late 80s System 16 arcade graphics, the original was a Master System game).

As for a 3D Sonic game, I know Dimps are capable of making one but not sure whether StealthTax or M2 have the ability to do it even though they probably could do it and M2 did do a couple of 3D ports before such as Sega Rally. Sega of China is another possibility since they did make a couple of games before (Dynamite Deka EX, Golden Gun) even though the quality is unproven since they have only done Sonic Adventure ports so far in terms of the series.

Everyone's pretty much given reasons why they'd be bad as actual developers.

I think the best idea would be for SEGA to hire them as part of their design teams; that way they can throw in their two cents, while at the same time not either a) taking over development or cool.png facing the issues of being a small team. They're too small and probably wouldn't do so well if they had to make an actual game from scratch.

But considering them for formal employee status? Well, that's not too bad a proposal at all. Having some folks who are well-versed in classic titles would do wonders for making sure experiments like Sonic 4 don't suck.

Its been how many years since Rush?

It's only been six years since Rush Adventure, and other series have gone on for even longer than that and still got sequels.

Honestly, if anything, SEGA should just give Dimps original scenarios and stuff to work with like they used to, instead of having them make handheld versions of console games (and Sonic 4)...not to mention rushing it a lot by giving them less time.

As for StealthTax,

But considering them for formal employee status? Well, that's not too bad a proposal at all. Having some folks who are well-versed in classic titles would do wonders for making sure experiments like Sonic 4 don't suck.

This sounds perfectly reasonable to me. It'd be better than letting the talents they have go to waste once they're done making ports.

• Thumbs Up 3

No because Taxman & Stealth are just two fans whereas Dimps has 100 times more people so likely doubt they will be producing a big project I mean how is it possible for two people to work on a massive AAA title.

But it doesn't have to be an AAA game! It can be a simple handheld game like the ones Dimps has been making. And I'd rather see the former make a new game in the future than the latter, who have lost the plot a few years ago.

Nope.

Sonic CD is a shitty game. It has a bunch of really bad design decisions left in for no reason whatsoever; doubly so since the game came out well after Sonic 2.

The Taxman port fixed most of them, to the extent that it goes from unplayable to pretty much my favorite in the series.

So where is the butchering?

Sure they screwed up with the 3DS version of Generations and that sadly makes people over look their great games like the Advance and Rush series (not to mention Sonic Pocket Adventure and a bunch of other great non-Sonic games)

The great games that were predominantly made a decade ago? The great games which are outnumbered by the more recent crappy ones?

And they didn't make Pocket Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 4

But it doesn't have to be an AAA game! It can be a simple handheld game like the ones Dimps has been making. And I'd rather see the former make a new game in the future than the latter, who have lost the plot a few years ago.

I know that. I mean I'd prefer Dimps making main games and T&S for ports. I'd like to see the pair collaborate and create something way beyond amazing.

As much as I dislike the post Sonic Advance 3 DIMPS, we won't see any changes there...

Taxman needs to keep doing what he does best. I REALLY want to see him do a remaster [or whatever it's called] of Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well as porting the Sonic 1 and 2 remasters to XBLA/PSN/eShop. He doesn't need to make a full game

Why do people always turn things into an excuse to bash Dimps...

...it's getting old.

Taxman and Stealth are great and I appreciate what they have done with the classics, but it doesn't mean Dimps should be detached from the Sonic franchise forever, just because some people dislike a few of their titles.

Dimps have have made some great games...

...a lot of people consider Sonic Pocket Adventure to be one of the best, or the best of the portable series of games.

I personally really enjoyed all of the Advance games (though Advance3 is a tough motherf*****, and I still haven't fully completed it), and I liked Rush Adventure and Sonic Colours DS too both fun games in their own right (never played The first Rush)!

I feel people are being harsh on them. I genuinely would've liked to see Sonic 4 Episode 3 with Knuckles in.

Why do people always turn things into an excuse to bash Dimps...

...it's getting old.

So is the "BAAAAW PEOPLE LIKE TO BASH DIMPS" defense battle cry when absolutely nobody is doing that in this thread. So please stop your white-knighting and please dismount off your high horse.

It's also worth noting that all of those "great games" Dimps made that you're using to your defense for the company were all made a decade ago by a different group of people who are no longer around and as we speak are being outnumbered by later games from the company that are of considerably lower quality. And Sonic Pocket Adventure, contrary to popular belief, was developed by SNK, and not Dimps. Dimps had not even been established yet when the game was (first) released in North America!

So is the "BAAAAW PEOPLE LIKE TO BASH DIMPS" defense battle cry when absolutely nobody is doing that in this thread. So please stop your white-knighting and please dismount off your high horse.

It's also worth noting that all of those "great games" Dimps made that you're using to your defense for the company were all made a decade ago by a different group of people who are no longer around and as we speak are being outnumbered by later games from the company that are of considerably lower quality. And Sonic Pocket Adventure, contrary to popular belief, was developed by SNK, and not Dimps. Dimps had not even been established yet when the game was (first) released in North America!

I am not 'white knighting', nor am I on my high horse, just gets lame seeing negativity about certain things all time. No need for insults, I didn't insult anyone, I just argued a case for a developer that I feel is pretty decent and gets more flack than it really deserves.

Having one good group of devs involved with Sonic games, doesn't mean another good group of devs should be removed from involvement is all I was saying really.

EDIT: did not realise about Pocket Adventure, apologies on that one...

It's difficult to talk about Dimps in a positive light though. The last really good game they made was Sonic Rush Adventure. That came out more than six years ago. I don't think we'll get that sort of quality again...unless they make another standalone handheld game and not yet another weaker version of a main game.

...a lot of people consider Sonic Pocket Adventure to be one of the best, or the best of the portable series of games.

Pocket Adventure predates the formation of the company; and even though the company was formed by defecting SNK members it shares no major credits with, say, Sonic Advance.

I am not 'white knighting', nor am I on my high horse, just gets lame seeing negativity about certain things all time. No need for insults, I didn't insult anyone, I just argued a case for a developer that I feel is pretty decent and gets more flack than it really deserves.

By claiming people are "bashing Dimps" in a thread that has nobody of the sort doing so and rebuking anyone who did so as milking a tired tirade? If you know what it means to be "white knighting" something or being on a "high horse", that definitely sounds like something you were doing.

Also if you're implying that we (by that I mean everyone here at SSMB) criticize Dimps "all the time", then I'm sorry to say that I think what you're saying is a lie.

By claiming people are "bashing Dimps" in a thread that has nobody of the sort doing so and rebuking anyone who did so as milking a tired tirade? If you know what it means to be "white knighting" something or being on a "high horse", that definitely sounds like something you were doing.

Also if you're implying that we (by that I mean everyone here at SSMB) criticize Dimps "all the time", then I'm sorry to say that I think what you're saying is a lie.

The thread title itself oozes negativity actually. I wasn't milking anything either, it's the first time I have really commented on the matter. I didn't say you or anyone specific here on this forum does it 'all the time', I said 'people always', implying something more along the lines of - there is pretty much always someone somewhere instigating needless negativity to them, where there could be more constructive discussion.

You seem to be the one to whom the word 'tirade' applies here, as I didn't get angry or hostile in any way during my post, it was just me effectively saying 'here we go again' *rolls eyes*, whereas you appear to be displaying a pinch of hostility towards me.

I am done explaining myself to you anyway.