Awoo.

Billy Mays Dead at 50

AdventChild

Hidden

So many deaths this past week and here's another.

Billy Mays Dead at 50

Billy Mays, the TV pitchman whose trademark voice helped sell everything from cleaning supplies to baking soda, was found dead this morning by his wife at his Tampa home. No cause of death has been reported and no foul play is suspected, according to Tampa police.

Mays, 50, was pronounced dead at 7:45 a.m. at 2853 Bowen Daniel Dr., #1201. His wife, Deborah Mays, found him unresponsive this morning. The Medical Examiner's Office will complete Mays' autopsy by tomorrow afternoon.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days," Deborah Mays said in a statement today. "Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

Mays was a passenger Saturday of a 737 airplane that had a front tire blow out, said spokeswoman Brenda Geoghagan. Mays and other passengers were interviewed by US Airways staff after the Philadelphia flight's hard landing. Responders reported no injuries.

"Tampa Fire (Rescue) reported no injuries. Nobody asked for treatment," Geoghagan said. "Some of the passengers said they had bruises."

Mays was one of the stars of "Pitchmen," a Discovery Channel documentary series that focused on Mays' claim to fame: inventions and infomercials.

RIP

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hidden

I heard about this. It's not the best of weeks for celebrity deaths, even if I haven't a clue who he was.

Hidden

Hope this death thing isn't the new fad amongst celebreties now, although I never cared for celebreties to begin with. But still.

Still, the Discovery Channel just started that Pitchmen show, infact in my area it's about to come on. Wonder how the schedule will be affected until they figure out what to replace it with. I'm fine with more Mythbusters.

Hidden

And only a week or so after Smosh's Billy Mays videos. Hmmmmm

Hidden

This is really sad. My mom always said things happen in threes and well, this did. Really depressing that Billy Mays and MJ died at only 50.

I always found his infomercials bearable and entertaining, the only ones I could actually sit through. Rest in peace, my good man. <3

Hidden

GET ON THE BALL! NEW OXICLEAN DISHWASHER DETER......*shot*

I couldn't stand the man myself, but hell he made quite a bit of money selling other peoples stuff. It sucks he had to go at 50 though. Both my parents are older than that and still kicking. I'd hate to imagine how his wife found him too. :(

Oh well, I hope the YTMND community create another Return of the Jedi ending with Billy Mays standing with Steve Erwin and the rest of the passed on Jedi.

Hidden

I loved this guy, he had a great voce, advertised well and his adverts always made for brilliant YTP's. R.I.P.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ! How many more stars are gonna fall like this?!

Anyway, this guy was one of the most hilarious people I've seen on any network and what not. Also, I've lost count on how many commercials I've seen Billy in.

R.I.P. Billy Mays

Edited by Jetronic
Hidden

Just wow, I'm kind of shocked the Billy Mays is now dead. His infomercials were always fun to watch just because of his enthusiasm and dedication to the product he was selling. His show, Pitchmen, was also entertaining to watch.

R.I.P Billy Mays.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I may have been watching to much Death Note recently but....this may be the work of......Kira*GASP* *shot*

Edited by VirgoTheCougar
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Quite possibly, THE BEST Infomercial dude.

I'll miss him frantically yelling, "BILLY MAYS HERE!"

He was a sight to watch at 3am when there was nothing else on.

OxiClean was amazing ha.

RIP mays.

Edited by hekturr
Hidden

Just wow, I'm kind of shocked the Billy Mays is now dead. His infomercials were always fun to watch just because of his enthusiasm and dedication to the product he was selling. His show, Pitchmen, was also entertaining to watch.

R.I.P Billy Mays.

Not just wow, Sham WO-*gets shot*

But on topic, he was amazing. I respected the guy. His death was even more suprising to me than MJ's. it's pretty ironic that he endorsed a life insurance company a few months back. He will be missed.

Hidden

His death is extremely unexpected. Who would have thought he would die all of a sudden? I never knew he would die at this time. He seemed to be in good condition to me. Fifty is a young age by today's standards and I figured he would have lived longer. My mom bought some of the products he sold like OrangeGlo. RIP Billy Mays.

Hidden

I was in shock when I heard the news this morning. Last time I saw him on TV, he seemed perfectly healthy. I will admit, he had a unique of presenting his products. RIP, Billy Mays.

Hidden

I've been debating posting a joke post that I came up with on another forum a few days before his death (spooky) here. Nothing disrespectful, but perhaps not quite as funny now that he has died.

Hidden

What's surprising is, not only did four celebrities die this week, two of them (Mays and MJ) were both 50 as well...

Hidden

I bought some Kaboom at Wal-Mart yesterday.

All jokes aside

I'm gonna miss that guy. My mom HATED him. But I loved his IN YO FACE attitude.

Bye, Billy Mays. Glad you were here.

Hidden

I found out yesterday by some random person on Gaia online. ><

Billy Mays was good at his job (even if he went a bit too far with the skunk....) and he was pretty well known. So who's gonna take over Billy's job?

RIP Billy Mays

Hidden

First MJ, and now Mays? I don't think anyone could have predicted this.

I never really thought he did a good job, but seeing him on the commercials was funny. They worked on other people, though, and I guess that's what counts.