Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I think the producers should forget this live action thing and focus on making a good animation, with a strong message and memorable moments.

There's no point in using CG, 3D technology and other sophisticated resources to impress the audience if the movie itself doesn't have substancial quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, a knothole resident said:

Well, this probably alludes to how much the Sonic Movie will bomb.  http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/04/film_critics_arent_being_kind_to_the_ratchet_and_clank_movie

Going by this logic, Wreck-It Ralph alluded that Pixels would have gotten a great reception. Or Batman v Superman alluded that Captain America: Civil War would be Marvel's worst movie yet.

17 hours ago, a knothole resident said:

Well, this probably alludes to how much the Sonic Movie will bomb.  http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/04/film_critics_arent_being_kind_to_the_ratchet_and_clank_movie

Hmmmmm....

Swing your bias left and right.

Make sure the forum thinks it's shite.

If I said it once I've said it plenty.

Doesn't really matter if the project ain't the samy.

I look for reasons why we should throw fits

Sure I'll ignore if the reasoning doesn't sit.

1 month ago I said the same

I'm doing it now for some fame.

I'm waiting on ghostbusters to crash

Then I can say Sony pictures are ass

Come one come all gather all around.

This here is the Sonic movie put down!

Yeeeee Haaawwww!

• Thumbs Up 4

Ratchet and Clank is a low budget CGI animated movie from the studio who brought you the "masterpiece" known as Escape From Planet Earth. It was also barely advertised here in the UK, so little wonder it's a bo-bomb.

Instead of comparing it to a movie we know barely anything about, how about Angry Birds, Warcraft, or even Assassins Creed which are ALL coming out this year? Hell the former is actually animated by Sony and not outsourced like R&C!

If the movie bombs Sonic really is going to be in "mondo" as he used to say, sh@t. More-so than having a game/spin-off franchise bomb methinks, ESPECIALLY after said bombs.

21 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

If the movie bombs Sonic really is going to be in "mondo" as he used to say, sh@t. More-so than having a game/spin-off franchise bomb methinks, ESPECIALLY after said bombs.

Umm, why? Sonic is primarily a game's franchise. Even speaking as someone who prefers alternative media, I really don't see how it has really any bearing on the success of the franchise as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Umm, why? Sonic is primarily a game's franchise. Even speaking as someone who prefers alternative media, I really don't see how it has really any bearing on the success of the franchise as a whole.

Because with the current general status of the games in mind at the moment, main series flopping, side-series doing even worse, I don't see a worldwide theatrical failure doing the franchise any favors, and if anything, only making things worse than the games themselves have. With the franchise failing to draw in modern day gamers, children seemingly outright avoiding the franchise despite an iron-fisted focus on them, (seemingly playing the older Sonic games instead based on what I see at my K-Mart job, barely a kid comes in without me hearing one of the Genesis games on their device), it's just something I see as an unnecessary risk.

I mean, Ratchet and Clank is an overwhelming success, I'm talking Star Wars level crazy in some cases, so a worldwide theatrical flop won't do much, but when you consider the majority's already wary/fed-up attitude towards the franchise, (find me a forum/site without an indifferent atmosphere), and the fact Sonic is the go-to for any amateurs go-to guy for ridicule, yeah, it's not the same thing. When you've got games flopping AND a theatrical film do badly?

BOOM.

I dunno how high their faith/hopes are on Mr. Webber pacifying the market, but the poor guy can't do it forever especially considering the fact we're presently dealing with poor business practice revolving their mobile apps, their current main focus... Dunno.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Sony Pictures (and whoever else is involved in the production) screws this up, it's gonna be a real problem. After Boom's horrible sales, now is Sonic's last chance to turn things around.

A movie creates a hype around a franchise. It's a product that reaches a broad audience, rather than just the gaming community. It can reshape the way people view it and help revolutionize its culture. Because Sonic is a widely known character, about whom people today haven't heard much because he fell from grace over the past 15 years or so, there'll be high expectations for a franchise that has been swinging between reasonably good games and failures. Therefore, the movie will be a turning point, either for better or worse. 

If the 25th Anniversary game is released first, people might go watch the movie, even in the case the game wasn't so good. But if the movie is launched first and is a complete failure, then well...RIP, Sonic.

A bad movie certainly wouldn't be good for Sonic, but completely dooming the franchise? I doubt it. I mean, it's a video game movie, people kind of expect those to be bad and aren't necessarily going to blame the franchise itself. The idea that a movie would have a huge impact on the reception of the video game series it was based on just weirds me out a bit. Now, don't get me wrong: considering the state Sonic is in, we definitely don't need another lousy Sonic-related thing to tarnish his reputation any more, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be "the end" for Sonic. Ultimately, what will determine the reception of a video game franchise is usually...the video games, I would expect. If the movie is bad and the next game is bad, well... =P

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, this whole thing where every single media venture featuring Sonic holds the entire life of the franchise in its hands is alarmist. I wager the overlap between general audiences and hardcore gamers isn't going to be all that big or noteworthy, and subsequently any gamer worth their salt who keeps up with or is invested in the franchise is likely to understand that the production is out of Sonic Team's hands, and thus it won't have anything to do with the games anyway beyond being another thing to add to the pile to make fun of. Think about it: no one is claiming the Boom TV show or even actual games like Colors and Gens are saving the franchise simply because it's good.

• Thumbs Up 5

Frankly, these apocalyptic projections of if X does bad then the entire franchise is just dead has gotten beyond tiring, because I think it's established at this point that Sonic's marketability is such that the general public STILL has faith in it, and wants to see it do well. Not everyone out there is an Arin or some other "professional" internet critic that just wants to smear Sonic's face into the dirt.

• Thumbs Up 3

There was a lack of marketing for the Ratchet and Clank movie, and that usually means a studio doesn't have confidence in their product.  This should be concerning for the Sonic movie since Sony was involved with Ratchet and Clank and the impending Sly Cooper movie.  Plus the way their business model has been presented in recent years hasn't been a positive one.  Just saying.   

• Thumbs Up 1

Lack of marketing can just mean there wasn't enough money to use for that division. It's not as simple as you may think. Though with R&C, they marketed the shit out of the thing on kids channels(one of their target demographics). So I don't think marketing was a massive issue.

5 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

A bad movie certainly wouldn't be good for Sonic, but completely dooming the franchise? I doubt it. I mean, it's a video game movie, people kind of expect those to be bad and aren't necessarily going to blame the franchise itself. The idea that a movie would have a huge impact on the reception of the video game series it was based on just weirds me out a bit. Now, don't get me wrong: considering the state Sonic is in, we definitely don't need another lousy Sonic-related thing to tarnish his reputation any more, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be "the end" for Sonic. Ultimately, what will determine the reception of a video game franchise is usually...the video games, I would expect. If the movie is bad and the next game is bad, well... =P

What if it was done by professionals of the same caliber as the team that made Wreck It Ralph? Would it still result in a regular or bad movie?

(What's ironic is that Ralph wasn't even meant to be a movie derived from a videogame. It was about videogames in general. And yet it was great. It nailed their overall universe and philosophy. So one has to wonder why can't movies derived from videogames be as good.)

There are plenty of good CG animations out there today that are spawning their own franchises. Sonic is losing space to the new charismatic characters that show up in the media every year. It makes sense for a lifelong fan to still play the new Sonic games and follow up on the news about him. But what about the younger audience, who only came to know Sonic through this Boom cartoon, who knows nothing else about his 25 year legacy and is growing up accustomed to great CG animations, Pixar stuff and all that modern technology plus super creative writing?

If a Sonic movie does come out, it'll have to compete with that. Either it is in the same level of quality - both in writing and quality of animation - or Sonic will be marginalised by the very audience Sega has been targeting lately. People will watch the 2nd Season of Boom, they MAY keep playing the upcoming games, but the franchise won't go back on track, as the CEO of Sega Games made clear he hoped for in his public apology.

I'm just commentung on this point because Boom is clearly the new hope Sega has for its mascot. It doesn't make ant sense to appeal to the old fanbase. The 90s fans are grownups. So Sega's strategy is to compete in the new market and make Sonic attractive to kids and young teens. 

Boom created a lot of expectations for those kids. The 25th anniversary game and the movie promise to deliver. And so far, the kids are so hyped they must be wondering: where does Sonic come from? Why does he battle a human? Why are he and Eggman rivals? How did his friendship with Knuckles begin? Why does Tails fly an airplane? Why this, why that? Is the movie going to delve into these questions or just stall them? Is Sonic forever going to be that guy who runs fast, lives in a strange island in the middle of nowhere and who has all these diverse friends, with diverse talents, but about whom we know nothing about? Just how long is the love for such a superficial character going to last? Or are the Boom games that good that the joy of their gameplay and the witty humor compensate for the lack of basic information on this new Sonic universe?

I'm just waiting to see what they're going to do. Boom has already attracted the kids' attention by essentially being a cartoon that repeats the current formula of cartoons nowadays. It brought Sonic to this new paradigm and reshaped him to fit in. But that alone is not enough. Now comes the second task of establishing Sonic as yet another emblematic CG character for kids to remember and love. The movie seems to be the chosen way to do this. I sincerely hope it works. It all depends on how the movie and the upcoming game correspond to the hype they have created and fulfill at least the main expectations Boom has created in the hearts of its new fanbase.

8 hours ago, a knothole resident said:

There was a lack of marketing for the Ratchet and Clank movie, and that usually means a studio doesn't have confidence in their product.  This should be concerning for the Sonic movie since Sony was involved with Ratchet and Clank and the impending Sly Cooper movie.  Plus the way their business model has been presented in recent years hasn't been a positive one.  Just saying.   

The film branches of Sony had nothing to do with the production of Ratchet and Clank though, and the same is going on for the Sly movie. They were mainly outsourced to Rainmaker will help from the game division on creating parity between assets. Sonic isn't being developed the same way, and we don't know how its advertising will do because there's currently nothing to advertise. Seriously, there's no reason to meaningfully compare the two productions.

• Thumbs Up 4

15 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Because with the current general status of the games in mind at the moment, main series flopping, side-series doing even worse, I don't see a worldwide theatrical failure doing the franchise any favors, and if anything, only making things worse than the games themselves have. With the franchise failing to draw in modern day gamers, children seemingly outright avoiding the franchise despite an iron-fisted focus on them, (seemingly playing the older Sonic games instead based on what I see at my K-Mart job, barely a kid comes in without me hearing one of the Genesis games on their device), it's just something I see as an unnecessary risk.

I mean, Ratchet and Clank is an overwhelming success, I'm talking Star Wars level crazy in some cases, so a worldwide theatrical flop won't do much, but when you consider the majority's already wary/fed-up attitude towards the franchise, (find me a forum/site without an indifferent atmosphere), and the fact Sonic is the go-to for any amateurs go-to guy for ridicule, yeah, it's not the same thing. When you've got games flopping AND a theatrical film do badly?

BOOM.

I dunno how high their faith/hopes are on Mr. Webber pacifying the market, but the poor guy can't do it forever especially considering the fact we're presently dealing with poor business practice revolving their mobile apps, their current main focus... Dunno.

Seriously question: Why do you always assume that every little thing that happens to the franchise even something harmless and the chances of it turning out bad will kill the franchise? If the franchise didn't die with shadow, 06, and even rise of lyric nothing will. Even if the movie could be a disaster look at all the other movie adaptations of franchise like the super mario bros movie, the transformers films the 2 live action Street Fighter movies etc it didn't ruin their franchises. You really need to relax and quit bring Webber into these things. 

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

Seriously question: Why do you always assume that every little thing that happens to the franchise even something harmless and the chances of it turning out bad will kill the franchise? If the franchise didn't die with shadow, 06, and even rise of lyric nothing will. Even if the movie could be a disaster look at all the other movie adaptations of franchise like the super mario bros movie, the transformers films the 2 live action Street Fighter movies etc it didn't ruin their franchises. You really need to relax and quit bring Webber into these things. 

Because sonic is in a position where its not consistantly good enough to be safe, and its bad often enough no one pays attention to the good part. While I like to think sonic has qualities so good they on some level trancend public opinion. But i cant help but humor that the idea of sonic fucking up big in multiple facets and mediums will actually cause the downward spiral folks claimed to have existed for years.

You use street fighter for example, but most sf games were good and that movie was so corney and came out at time to were folks would over look that. Like the mk movies, and the transformers movies while not by us, are loved and gigantic successes.

We cant really compare the film untill we see it. Do i think it will kill sonic, no. But I understand the sentiment

Honestly, film will not have a big factor. If it will be bad, it will just be a drop in a sea of bad game movies. If it will be good, that's great. And if it will be both good and popular... maybe haters will shut up one day :3 

5 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

...Kill the franchise? That's an exaggeration of my thoughts. I in no way think such a mistake would kill Sonic, my point is it will only make matters worse, possibly more-so than what RoL and, to a degree all its own, LW did.

Put Chaos and Chaos together and you just get hell basically is my point. My hope is the movie will be extraordinary, but my assumption based on current trends says otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

...Kill the franchise? That's an exaggeration of my thoughts. I in no way think such a mistake would kill Sonic, my point is it will only make matters worse, possibly more-so than what RoL and, to a degree all its own, LW did.

Put Chaos and Chaos together and you just get hell basically is my point. My hope is the movie will be extraordinary, but my assumption based on current trends says otherwise.

Considering how you tend to exaggerate the worse that can happen can you blame me? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Considering how you tend to exaggerate the worse that can happen can you blame me? 

Mmm... With this franchise it's hard to make a worse case scenario exaggeration, don't you think? We've already endured... Four?

The franchise never dies, but it definitely suffers with every misstep.

(Sonic facial cream, the current thing I'm trying to wrap my head around...)

• 1 month later...

A Sonic Adventure based film directed by Hirsch would be perfect, IMO. He knows how to balance comedy and serious plot twists so it wouldn't be off the wall silly like Boom, and it wouldn't be melodramatic like Sonic 2006 either. Please let this be true.

On 4/13/2016 at 0:32 PM, Kfarc said:

Well, when I was thinking about "realistc-looking" I was thinking more about this... Yeah, still wierd, but I want a game with this design so badly :D .

super_smash_bros__remixed___sonic_slide_by_andrewdoma-d7r043w.png

This forum really needs a dislike button.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Myst said:

A Sonic Adventure based film directed by Hirsch would be perfect, IMO. He knows how to balance comedy and serious plot twists so it wouldn't be off the wall silly like Boom, and it wouldn't be melodramatic like Sonic 2006 either. Please let this be true.

This forum really needs a dislike button.

I wouldn't say Boom is off the wall silly, that's AoStH. Boom uses a more casual and mostly grounded type of comedy, can be pretty silly but nothing bizarre.

And the forum once had a dislike button, turns out it wasn't the best idea.

• Thumbs Up 4