Awoo.

UK: Theres a Storm coming! PART 3 "you'd better watch out, I'm tellin' you why, the great storm is comin' to town!"

Badnik Mechanic

Conservatory just had a bit of a flood!

Happens once in a blue moon once we get a lot of rain and the gutters overflow. All cleaned up now though and the winds and rain have eased off considerably.

*looks out the window*

Oh look, rain.

*shrugs and goes back to playing video games*

On a slightly more serious note, I don't get why people get so hyped up over the weather, it's England, it rains, somedays it rains more than other days, sometimes we'll get a huge amount of rain, as a country we should be used to it etc etc, I love the stuff myself and it was quite nice being out in it earlier the only thing that ruined it a little was a wind but hey, we get that too.

*looks out the window*

Oh look, rain.

*shrugs and goes back to playing video games*

On a slightly more serious note, I don't get why people get so hyped up over the weather, it's England, it rains, somedays it rains more than other days, sometimes we'll get a huge amount of rain, as a country we should be used to it etc etc, I love the stuff myself and it was quite nice being out in it earlier the only thing that ruined it a little was a wind but hey, we get that too.

To be honest I think we do kinda have a right to complain about it, as some areas of the UK are far more affected than others.

We live in an increasingly low lying and hilly country. This may not be problematic where you or I live (Cotswolds so it isn't too bad here) but in other areas like Gloucestershire or Devon and Cornwall it's a big shock because they're easily flooded, even with river management and flood precautions. Loads of people are affected and they need to be warned so really it's pretty important that we make a bit of a fuss about it.

Also got to consider that the UK's buildings are older and weaker than other places such as low-lying areas in America so they don't stand as much of a chance. Population is dispersed differently as well; not everyone lives in a city or a major settlement, more so than other places. People are going to be without power or adequate transport for days.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I think we do kinda have a right to complain about it, as some areas of the UK are far more affected than others.

We live in an increasingly low lying and hilly country. This may not be problematic where you or I live (Cotswolds so it isn't too bad here) but in other areas like Gloucestershire or Devon and Cornwall it's a big shock because they're easily flooded, even with river management and flood precautions. Loads of people are affected and they need to be warned so really it's pretty important that we make a bit of a fuss about it.

Also got to consider that the UK's buildings are older and weaker than other places such as low-lying areas in America so they don't stand as much of a chance. Population is dispersed differently as well; not everyone lives in a city or a major settlement, more so than other places. People are going to be without power or adequate transport for days.

Seems a bit silly to me to not take in to account the amount of rain England can get when building a house and such, surely that would be one of the first things they'd think about.

Seems a bit silly to me to not take in to account the amount of rain England can get when building a house and such, surely that would be one of the first things they'd think about.

Well they do that with new buildings and houses, it's the older ones to look out for.

Definitely noticed a bit difference in weather here in the south-east today.  The worst I suffered was a broken umbrella thankfully.  Hope everyone stays safe and this dies down before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather here has been bad since Christmas time, but I think today and the day before have been the worst yet.

All night I've heard the wind and rain banging against my window (my room faces the sea) and it sounds awful! It's stopped raining for now but it's very windy and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts raining again. Luckily Bude, the town I live in, is quite a hilly town so floods shouldn't be too much of a problem. The canal will be full of water though!

Hope my family will be ok too since they went out to Exeter today.

Despite the sun shining at first today, for at least a few minutes it started raining quite hard. I even heard some sounds of thunder, which in the area I live is pretty rare.

Ever since, the sun has been swallowed up by clouds.

Apart from throughout the night, when I was able to hear a crap ton of wind and rain smashing against the house, it's really mild outside right now. And I'm from the South West. Eh, I guess they probably mean far South West (Cornwall, Devon etc.).

Safe wishes regardless.

• 1 month later...

Well, they kinda triggered the bullet a bit too early. This really would be better now since we've actually got some terrible weather.

Actually I have brilliant sunshine, but you get the idea.

Well, they kinda triggered the bullet a bit too early. This really would be better now since we've actually got some terrible weather.

Actually I have brilliant sunshine, but you get the idea.

Huh, so do I.

How do you go from absolutely cloudy and windy, to clear skies and sunshine?

The last week has been absolutely crazy. And I mean, crazy. It's been stupidly windy and has rained every single day for the past week. It's been raining exceptionally hard for the past few days to the point that the school fields got waterlogged and now it looks like marshland. The place I live in is on higher ground than a lot of other areas in the South West and even then minor places got pretty fucked over.

Today's been bizzare as well. My PE lesson this morning was particularly unpleasant as I was playing hockey with my friends on an astro turf pitch where it was slippery and stupidly cold, windy and drizzling. Then it started sleeting and even eventually snowing for about 20 minutes. And then? It was sunny and warm again (although still windy). And now it's back to sleeting.

Glad it hasn't been absolutely chucking it down today but regardless the weather is being bipolar as hell.

Oh well. We'll be alright in the end I guess. If you're on lower lying ground (or anywhere particularly affected by the storm) then please stay safe. Like, really, keep extremely safe :)

The weather has been crazy, I'm glad I'm lucky enough to live in a high up place and not in the affected areas. Even so, though, the rain has been pretty bad on most days for a while other than today (and even then we've had a bit). We even had snow on Tuesday, which left and got replaced by rain and then sun, crazy shit. I swear it's getting worse every year.

• Thumbs Up 2

When is this awful weather gonna end?

I saw some shocking photos from this site: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559186/UK-weather-80mph-winds-2in-rain-snow-sweep-Britain-storms-misery-goes-on.html

Roofs being blown off and hitting parked (And luckily, empty) cars, one of those massive telephone wire tower things being blown over and a wall from the side of a house being blown of and destroying a parked car next to it.

The news also showed Prince William and Prince Harry helping the army with sandbags in a flooded area. For some reason, the reporters felt the need to ask them what they were doing there...*sigh* They've come to take in the sights - What do you think they're doing there mister microphone idiot?!

I'm lucky the town I live in has never flooded, but it was pretty unnerving seeing the traffic lights and street lamps shack like that.

Damn! Stay safe over there guys! We've been dealing with some horrible weather over here as well. The faster this horrible weather ends the better!