Awoo.

UK: Theres a Storm coming! PART 3 "you'd better watch out, I'm tellin' you why, the great storm is comin' to town!"

Badnik Mechanic

I live in Wiltshire (South West) and we've had no rain (luckily) but it's been stupidly windy. I was playing lacrosse earlier in just a T-Shirt earlier, and I can tell ya: not a good idea. Playing ping pong on the outside table-tennis stalls is impossible as well, lol. At all. The wind got pretty damn bad at about 9AM - 12AM and then it got a bit more gentle, albeit still cold. Down the road half of my neighbour's gate got blown straight off.

Other than that it's been alright for us. Feel very bad for anyone who has died - how tragic. My feelings to them. And to my friends in the east and north and Scotland, stay safe.

From what some of you are saying here, you didn't feel it too much in the West, but I'm in Brierley Hill in the West Midlands and as I explained in my earlier post, the winds were very strong and made shopping a big struggle. Haven't heard of anything disastrous happening in the immediate area, but the Express and Star newspaper reports that a man was hit by a tree that got knocked over in Walsall and Birmingham's German Market was forced to close.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/emergency-services/2013/12/05/christmas-market-closes-as-roof-blown-off-hut-in-high-winds/

Stoke was bad.

Bad enough that I didn't go into uni after listening to the howling wind from my room [no soundproofing at all].

Worse still was the M6 closure between Junction 14 and 15 due to an accident with three lorries and two cars [no guesses as to what caused that].

If it gets any worse, I'm just glad I'm back home in the West Midlands, but it still doesn't help too much.

Terrifying video shows plane struggling to land at Birmingham Airport
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y65Q1hbq4nk
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/12/05/terrifying-video-shows-plane-struggling-to-land-at-birmingham-airport/

Stoke was bad.
Bad enough that I didn't go into uni after listening to the howling wind from my room [no soundproofing at all].
Worse still was the M6 closure between Junction 14 and 15 due to an accident with three lorries and two cars [no guesses as to what caused that].

If it gets any worse, I'm just glad I'm back home in the West Midlands, but it still doesn't help too much.

Found an article with pics:
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport-news/2013/12/05/m6-closes-after-van-and-lorry-crash/

Looks like a van and lorry collided.

Ok so the local news are at the tidal barrier and there are trucks full of sandbags all over the place... ... ....

Hey SSMB, if any of my merch goes floating by can you just kinda leave it in the garage or somehing and I'll send merch kitty over to pick it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I set off to college at half 4 as I had to be there an hour early for my individual tutorial with my tutor but the roads were at a stand-still. About an hour later I finally managed to get there only for every single light to turn off and to find out my college is flooded, apparently the local sub-station had also been flooded. I just managed to get home as every traffic light had also been cut off.

Over here it was pretty bad as well. The roads were pretty much just large puddles and my town had a power cut. Bins were knocked over, fences were destroyed and a trampoline somehow ended up right in front of the primary school.

Nowhere near as bad as what's going on in other areas of the country though, so I guess I should count myself lucky

So I set off to college at half 4 as I had to be there an hour early for my individual tutorial with my tutor but the roads were at a stand-still. About an hour later I finally managed to get there only for every single light to turn off and to find out my college is flooded, apparently the local sub-station had also been flooded. I just managed to get home as every traffic light had also been cut off.

Woah! O_o Glad to hear you're safe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heavy snow now falling in Scotland, and the bird table in my backgarden has fallen over.

_71551800_snoow.jpg

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT WHY DOES IT NEVER SNOW OVER HERE

For the south-east sources are all over the place on whether we're gonna get hit bad or not.  Towns on rivers are having evacuations and barricades and stuff, pretty crazy.  I live literally right on the coast but thankfully there's a large cliff in my town so no chances of floods.

Well, the conditions in Middlesbrough have been mental today, one of the weirdest days I've ever seen. We've also just come back from a 2 hour power outage!

• Thumbs Up 1

Updating. We've used sandbags to cover up the house, we're not evacuating ourselves. We can get to high ground if need be. The wind is incredibly heavy. Walking against it was pretty hard for me.

I've worked with several people in the street to supply the elderly with sandbags as well, and make sure everyone is secure. We should be ready. The biggest problem is that we didn't expect this. The last flood was all the way in the black&white years. We had the shitty luck of getting a big storm on a full moon.

Ostend is pretty secure because of their beaches, but Bredene, my town, only has a beach townside. So the other side, our side is.. Well.. Fucked. It doesn't help that Bredene is a lot lower then the rest of Belgium. I don't expect a huge flood, but I dissassembled my PC and put it in my room, along with the rest of my shit, just to be safe.

Police and Red Cross are trying to get people out of here and are supplying more sandbags.

Last check I did was really heavy winds, skies are going dark. I expect the peak of the rainfall to be at 2-3 AM.

Hey, atleast this means I get to cut school tommorow.

So what city is this?

BauupyFCEAAZACt.jpg

Blackpool. One of the most popular tourist cities in the whole UK... it's like a ghosttown

It's ok Jin, I imagine that you Ice Car'd your way across the wading water, I will be disappointed if you didn't aid your townsfolk while dressed as him too haha.

Glad to see you're safe and sound!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are todays warnings issued by the environment agency.

Baug6YjCQAETsLz.jpg

Anything red is 'danger to human life.'

Meanwhile in Liverpool.

BauimUHIQAAW8ZM.jpg

So what city is this?

BauupyFCEAAZACt.jpg

Blackpool. One of the most popular tourist cities in the whole UK... it's like a ghosttown

Holy shit that is actually really fucking eerie!

Looks like something from Bioshock haha

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the conditions in Middlesbrough have been mental today, one of the weirdest days I've ever seen. We've also just come back from a 2 hour power outage!

You were there too? :lol:

It's ok Jin, I imagine that you Ice Car'd your way across the wading water, I will be disappointed if you didn't aid your townsfolk while dressed as him too haha.

Glad to see you're safe and sound!

Tune into the NOL news now to see the Hero of Ikaruga surfing on the flood

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing in the Leven area. Hopefully that means the worst is over for me

Should point out, that map is just for the Humber region.

Hahah, I'm a student at Teesside University smile.png so I live here during term times! 

Aha be glad your Uni isn't flooded too. I was on my way down to the college when all the lights went off, it was eerie. I was impressed at how well people were making do with the traffic

Well I'm going to take a nap. I need to be awake at the worst.

Tune into the NOL news now to see the Hero of Ikaruga surfing on the flood

pepz.png

Note: Background not Bredene

• Thumbs Up 1

So what city is this?

BauupyFCEAAZACt.jpg

Without wanting to diminish the difficulties caused to people by the storm - is it bad that this picture makes me really want to go there?  It looks so atmospheric.

• Thumbs Up 1