Awoo.

Alien: Isolation [360/XBO/PS3/PS4/PC]

Blue Wisp

So, yeah. According to Kotaku there's a new Aliens game coming out. And it's made by SEGA. Well sure, it's made by Creative Assembly, the guys that made all the Total War games and uh... Stormrise. Trademark got registered earlier this day, 

The game is called Alien: Isolation, and we hear it will be on both current- and next-gen consoles next year. Isolation is developed by the British studio Creative Assembly (Total War); it's a first-person shooter that uses both stealth and horror elements; and it's inspired by games like Dishonored and Bioshock, according to our source, a person familiar with goings-on at Sega, who spoke under condition of anonymity in the interest of protecting their job. [...] 

According to our source, the protagonist of Alien: Isolation is Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley, the character that made Sigourney Weaver famous and kicked off the ubiquitous sci-fi franchise over 30 years ago. Amanda, who is mentioned in the special edition of Aliens as having died while Ellen was frozen in space, has not yet been the focus of any books, movies, or games in the Alien extended universe.

Thing that got me uh, "excited" I guess is the following:

Perhaps most importantly, our source says that Sega took the critical reception to Aliens: Colonial Marines very seriously, and that the publisher put together a postmortem following the near-unanimously negative reactions to their last Aliens game, which was developed by the studios Gearbox and TimeGate. They want to make sure Isolation is a better game, and according to our source, it's already been delayed at least once—Sega originally planned to announce the game at E3 of 2013.

Hopefully SEGA doesn't get Gearboxed again...

Edited by Mr. Bones

I'm interested, if only because of what happened with ACM. I want to see if SEGA can come back from that, or if the Alien games are destined to be shite so long as they under the SEGA name. TBH, I don't really have much faith just yet.

I hope they figure out how capture what made the original moves horrifying.

Paranoia and the unknown. Its not that hard Sega! I'll see what they can do after that one disaster.

A new Aliens game? Sort of hype... I guess? Oh hang on, no need...

You, as Amanda, spend most if not all of the game on a single space station, according to our source. There's only one alien for "most" of the game, our source said; you'll mostly be shooting through "clones and soldiers." Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said, and the game is heavily inspired by the first Alien movie.

Yeah, I remember the endless waves of clones and soldiers in the original Alien, great times.

7zs4WWz.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

Phew....I thought this was going to be a new Aliens movie, ironically since I just watched Monster Madness and James mentioned Prometheus. Meh...Alien games haven't been my thing either but doesn't hurt to try, yes.

>Kotaku

I would wait a more reliable source, you know.

Creative Assembly have let slip a number of hints that they are making a new Aliens Game.

Also Creative Assembly have made an Aliens Game already... it got cancelled but it at least looked the part.

The only thing putting me off with this is the character you'll be playing as - Amanda Ripley :/

Ellen Ripley has a huuuuuge fanbase, arguably more huge than the number of Alien fans. I can't help but feel that they're trying to cash in on Ripley fans and will play out Amanda's personality in a manner that seems familiar of Ellen.

But good luck to them I guess. I imagine they can only do better than A:CM because they aren't Gearbox for a start and they don't have scumbag liar Randy Pitchford on their team xD

• 1 month later...

Still not convinced! I assume we're all waiting for gameplay footage before we judge whether it looks good? A not bad start though.

Those seem nice enough but after CM I just have to wonder how much worse the final game will actually look.

Bah, CM was made by Gearbox and it was Gearbox's fault mostly. This one is made by a new team that actually worked with SEGA in the past.

I have hopes for this.

Bah, CM was made by Gearbox and it was Gearbox's fault mostly. This one is made by a new team that actually worked with SEGA in the past.

I have hopes for this.

Creative Assembly also has a history of bullshotting and releasing games with performance issues tho.

Their latest Total War game has nothing to envy from Gearbox's efforts in terms of brokenness.

Got to say, I was really looking forward to this, then when Total War came out... expectations dropped by a large margin.

• 4 weeks later...

[source]

SEGA has finally announced Alien: Isolation, confirming the first official details on Creative Assembly's long-rumoured Alien title.

Due for release on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PC in late 2014, Alien: Isolation follows the plights of Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda, sent aboard remote trading station Sevastopol on a mission to recover the flight recorder of her mother's ship, the Nostromo, 15 years after the events of the original Alien movie.

The game also appears to be taking a starkly different direction to previous Aliens games, with the focus having moved away from combat and repositioned on slower-paced survival horror.

It's Amnesia in space, essentially, with Ripley stalked by a lone Xenomorph aboard the station.

"When she left Earth, Ellen Ripley promised her daughter Amanda she would return home for her 11th birthday. Amanda never saw her again," reads the story synopsis.

"Fifteen years later, Amanda, now a Weyland-Yutani employee, hears that the flight recorder of her mother's ship, the Nostromo, has been recovered at the remote trading station Sevastopol. The temptation for her to finally understand what happened is too much to resist. When the crew arrive at Sevastopol, they find something is desperately wrong. It all seems to be connected to an unknown menace, stalking and killing deep in the shadows.

"In order to uncover the truth about her mother, Amanda is forced to confront the same terrifying thing that separated them."

The official announcement follows months of leaks, which saw screenshots, artwork and the synopsis leaking online. Still, if you want to see the first official screenshots head through here.

Interested in hearing more? Steve went hands-on with the game just before Christmas, but could it finally be an Alien game worth getting excited for? Well, yes...

Hmm, on one hand, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the Wii U is being shafted yet again. On the other hand, however, considering the whole hubbub last year about Colonial Marines... eh, I'll just be cautiously neutral for now. Let's hope history don't wind up repeating itself.

I know pretty much nothing about the Aliens game. Never played any of them. Considering this is one of SEGA's four 'core' IP's this needs to do well. I hope it's a return to form after Colonial Marines.

Good to see it's coming to next-gen platforms. Looks interesting to say the least.

*Slow paced survival horror direction*

Sounds like they are trying to right the Colonial Marines wrongs, at least. 

Well, this actually does look pretty decent. I'm not one for survival horror or Alien, and both past instalments in the series and TCA's recent works leave something to be desired, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled.

q3oKbhJ.png

Ohhhhh Happy Days.... Oh Happy Dayyyyys....

Gameplay videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5rRm1RquA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXFBsvg61f0

After watching... I have to admit I'm A LOT more interested in this one now.

• Thumbs Up 4

If it's good, I'll get it on the PC, but then I'd be sad because all dem possibilities with the Gamepad won't be used because no Wii U version.