Awoo.

Capcom doesn't have the resources for a next-gen fighter

Candescence

No Capcom! I forbid you from closing! You said you'd bring Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney overseas to us, you will not leave it all to Level 5. Finish the job or you face great dishonour. Hopefully though, if Capcom does go it'll take those Resident Evil movies with it.

No Capcom! I forbid you from closing! You said you'd bring Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney overseas to us, you will not leave it all to Level 5. Finish the job or you face great dishonour. Hopefully though, if Capcom does go it'll take those Resident Evil movies with it.

Hum...That game is not Capcom's, It's Level-5's. They single handly published it in Japan, and now they're having Nintendo publishing it overseas like with their other games on Nintendo consoles. Capcom helped make the game yes, but the game's rights belong to Level-5, since they were the ones that had the idea and convinced Capcom to make it happen.

Besides, If Capcom was the one bringing it over here it would either be digital only or cancelled because according to them, good games don't sell anymore.

Also, when exactly did Capcom say they would bring it overseas? Again, it's up to Level-5, not Capcom.

Edited by Noctis Caelum

Your right, it is Level 5's call. It would just make it a bit difficult to work with a dead company is all. The localisation? Chheck the topic we had for the game. May be a bit buried but it has a Nintendo direct with localisation news.

If it is Capcom All-Stars then they better use classic, good, Dante and not crappy pretentious wub wub let the bodies hit the floor Donte. 

Edited by Ghostly Warp
  • Thumbs Up 6

If it is Capcom All-Stars then they better use classic, good, Dante and not crappy pretentious wub wub let the bodies hit the floor Donte. 

And you really think they'll do that when they didn't in Battle Royale?

Didn't MvC3 come out around the same time and they used Classic Dante?

MvC3 came out before.

I would have hoped that they learned their lesson...........

MvC3 came out before.

I would have hoped that they learned their lesson...........

I meant around the time DMC came out.

Keep in mind that PSASBR was a game made by a western company, and thinking that it was marketed only for western publics, Capcom pushed Emo Jackass Don'te while Superbot wanted to use the original Dante.

From what Ono said, this is a japan-made fighting game for both Japan and western publics, so there are good chances that if Devil May Cry is involved, we will get original Dante.

Or at least i hope so.

-damn i want an opening where Don'te approaches the fight but then is shooted down by Dante who says "Not in a million years" just for payback. Yeah, let me dream-

• Thumbs Up 4

My memory is hazy on it but when they released that concept art for all stars im pretty sure I saw the original dante there (along with usagi from gotcha force) so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Eh, sort of: he had a shitty personality in the first 2 games (the first being cheesy as hell and the second being... non existant), but then they made him this badass cocky guy wich screams awesomeness with random death metal music in the background. However, unlike Don'te, Dante had a sense of honor, both with his brother, the humans he protects and even (in some form) other demons like Agni & Rauda; on the other hand, Don'te has not problems of letting his brother get away doing horrible things like shooting at a pregnant woman first in the stomach and then in the head (and also he uses this to bully Mundus, acting like a prideful dick) or having a swearing contest with a puke-made demon (yes, that still counts). You can tell how Don'te's personality is only based on swearing and being a jerk by his appearance in PSASBR, in wich he's just there having 0 emotions or impact.

While Dante is just like what Doug Walker said of Jimbo in Treasure Planet (a marketing tool only made to convince people to buy the game) he's still a very likeble character that while having a terrible start actually became the incarnation of snarkyness we know today. Instead, Don'te is just based of emo/raging orphan stereotype, swearing and bad jokes about the original DMC series.

• Thumbs Up 2

In the original DMC, Dante wasn't that great, but he did have a sense of honor and empathy. DMC2... Nobody talks about DMC2. DMC3 is where they actually decided to go all-out on the camp and made Dante someone who enjoyed life and did things with style, but also wanted to try and save Vergil from himself, even if he failed to do it. DMC4 is probably the best incarnation of the character yet, his outfit is awesome, the little details to his face make him look older, but he's much more cool-headed, attempts to act as something of a mentor to Nero, while still being crazy awesome, and even attempts to nip the leader of the bad guys in the bud in that game by capping the guy in the face in the middle of one of his sermons. He also refrains from swearing (Nero is much more foul-mouthed, but even he is fairly tame compared to reboot Dante).

Reboot Dante... Badly-written douchebag who lacks style, tact and actual empathy, and swears like a sailor. He's a twelve-year-old's definition of 'cool', and his token romance with Kat is laughable. He also lacks that 'human' element by not even being remotely human, the whole half-angel thing would've been tolerable had they actually did anything with it. Ninja Theory should get back to letting actual writers do their writing for them, Tameem can't write for crap.

Edit: According to Capcom's latest investor report, DmC's sales have peaked at 1.15 million. In short, still the worst-selling title in the franchise by a mile. So much for trying to appeal to the western market, eh? How pathetic.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 7

• 2 months later...

So yeah, um...this is happening.

Capcom: All games will be social in the future

Despite the fierce resistance of a segment of gamers, the inclusion of social elements in games is increasingly more common. In an interview published on their own website, Capcom, through Kazunori Sugiura (who oversees all online games and social applications), said that in their opinion all games will be “basically social” at some point.

The good news is that they don’t equate social games with a definite genre, such as card battles; the bad news is that they believe monetization to be necessarily involved in them. I can quite easily accept that almost every game will have some online functionality to connect with other gamers, compare scores and interact in many different and interesting ways; however, I believe that some genres are seriously harmed if their basic elements are linked with monetization.

At any rate, Sugiura reckons that Capcom creators aren’t preemptively limited by a certain platform in their process:

Do you see a grim future for games because of this trend, or are people just overreacting?

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/01/10/capcom-all-games-will-be-social-future

So yeah. It seems Capcom wants to make all of their future games social games now. With monetization involved.

...I...I th-I think I can see a Capcom-branded hearse driving by in the distance...

-----

EDIT: Also, there's this interview about Capcom talking about how XB1/PS4 games are "8-10x" more work than the previous/seventh-gen, and are aiming for 6x the tool efficiency. Reported by OXM.

Copypastaing highlights from the NeoGAF thread's OP. Spoilered because it's a bit lenghty.

And then they talk more about efficiency here:

Also here's their engine strategy:
p_02.png

Edited by Gabe the Curmudgeon

Capcoms kind of a mess right now tbh, I can't give much info for games on the horizon, but I can tell you tekken x streetfighter is cancelled at this point. It's probably the secret reason they let nintendo use megaman for smash, royalty paying rights etc.

Even one of their most overated games marvel 3 won't be making the money it used to anymore since their contract with Marvel is over. You can't download the game anymore or even the dlc if you already have the game! Give it a few years and maybe even physical copies of the game will go up in price who knows?

Capcoms kind of a mess right now tbh, I can't give much info for games on the horizon, but I can tell you tekken x streetfighter is cancelled at this point. It's probably the secret reason they let nintendo use megaman for smash, royalty paying rights etc.

Even one of their most overated games marvel 3 won't be making the money it used to anymore since their contract with Marvel is over. You can't download the game anymore or even the dlc if you already have the game! Give it a few years and maybe even physical copies of the game will go up in price who knows?

How can they cancel Tekken x Street Fighter.

Namco are in charge of that, not Capcom.

So, Capcom is in trouble. They don't even have the funds to go next-gen. Capcom! OH WHY DID YOU CANCELL MEGA MAN LEGENDS 3! WHYYYYYYYYY!!!!

It could had save you (Or it could had failed and probably put you in true trouble)

So, Capcom is in trouble. They don't even have the funds to go next-gen. Capcom! OH WHY DID YOU DELAY MEGA MAN LEGENDS 3! WHYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled, not delayed.

Social games are a growing trend. The interview doesn't make it sound like Capcom's plan is to only make social games; it seems like a broad statement about the industry in general and where they think it's headed. And while saying that all games will have social functions to some degree is a stretch, he's not making a really horrible guess or anything. Their thoughts on monetization are worrying if they think that's what define social games, but this isn't some kind of declaration that "this is all we're doing now."

It's also worth mentioning that the guy saying all this is the overseer of all online games and social apps at Capcom. What do you expect his opinion to be about this subject?

.......So they're moving to mobile releases primarily.....well shit.

This isn't what they said at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

...Wait...

Do they view Social as being what they currently do with Resident Evil .net? 

If so, that's actually a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 2