Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

!!!!

Sonic fans will be the first to admit that they don't play these games for their storylines, and Sonic: Lost World isn't about to buck that trend with its corny voice acting and wafer-thin script.

Polished graphics, colourful worlds and smooth animation makes Sonic: Lost World one of the best looking platformers on the Wii U and a wonderfully infectious soundtrack that will work its way into your head in no time, caps off the near-flawless production.

Sonic: Lost World is a fresh and unique take on Sega's mascot that recaptures everything that was great about his 2D adventures, rights the wrongs of his 3D outings, and takes him into uncharted territory.

It took the Sonic Team long enough to deliver the definitive contemporary Sonic adventure, but it's finally here, and it was worth the wait.

S-say it isn't so.....T-T

I had a bad feeling there would be some who wouldn't be happy with the game because of the controls. Hogfather's preview went into the same thing and he's right. The reviews will be very polarizing because they made such complex controls for a Sonic title. L to spindash, R to run, y to kick, b to jump only and a to jump/homing attack. Meanwhile, Generations and Colors it was mainly X to Boost and A to Jump with the occasional L and R for side dashes and that's it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a bad feeling there would be some who wouldn't be happy with the game because of the controls. Hogfather's preview went into the same thing and he's right. The reviews will be very polarizing because they made such complex controls for a Sonic title. L to spindash, R to run, y to kick, b to jump only and a to jump/homing attack. Meanwhile, Generations and Colors it was mainly X to Boost and A to Jump with the occasional L and R for side dashes and that's it. 

Yeah, I saw this coming a while ago because the controls are the most complicated they've ever been in a Sonic game. Once you get used to them though, they're really good...

... except the Wisps. Oh God no the Wisps!

Anyway, yeah, complicated controls. The game really could have done with a tutorial stage.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic fans will be the first to admit that they don't play these games for their storylines, and Sonic: Lost World isn't about to buck that trend with its corny voice acting and wafer-thin script.

I jinxed it.

I'm so, so sorry SSMB.

http://youtu.be/qsEvBiLNPFo

GameSpot gave it a 5 out of 10

Edited by Son1ctrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Soooooo sick and tired of conflicting opinions, thank you Sega for not releasing the damned 3DS demo which could have helped erase my fears.

Funny, after all these years with people complaining of tutorials, now Sonic Lost World has none and everyone thinks it should have one... 

This game is really trying to be a Mario game. For the better, honestly. But it;s really really trying to be Mario so blatantly.

I don't like the sound of that....I would rather Sonic just tried to be Sonic.Even if Mario is fantastic source material for game designers, I really don't like the fact that this game is outright copying some aspects of the game.

Also, I expect some snarky responses regarding reviews. To which I say; maybe not everyone likes the gameplay. Footage does at times make it look clunky.

My biggest fear is Sonic Team running back to Generations/Unleashed style gameplay. This WAS the right direction to go in. The Spin Dash provides great speed, but without a blatant tutorial on how to use it, it will go unacknowledged like in IGN. People don't spend time trying to learn a game, it needs to be handed to them. Sonic used to operate on one button, so I can't even fault them.

I'm no apologist however. This game's level design had unforeseen questionable decisions,  and blatant aping of Mario/Nintendo Platformers was always an issue. 

This mixed reception might be a good thing, as some of these flaws have been apparent way back in Colors and Generations level design.

I hope Sonic Team continue what SLW started, but make it a less complicated and more refined experience.

P.S  How the hell did Sonic Team, make the Wisps worse after their initial game?! I loved them, and now they somehow manage to bog the games down.

P.S S ArtFenix holy shit. I know the games never been your cup of tea, but gloating like this? Come on son. We're all on the same Sonic Team here

• Thumbs Up 4

I really wish reviews didn't compare to previous games, at least ones that are completely different. Sonic is going to feel slow branching away from the 3 game boost system we've had the past handful of years definitely. I wish I could play the game to know for sure how it all feels and plays, but from an outsider's perspective I feel that people fail to see that slowing it down just a tad is in return for greater control for platforming and more dense level design.

Again it's two different styles of gameplay and it's cool to have a favorite of course, but don't let that affect your reviewing score. Again though, wish I could play the game to have some solid input but I guess I'll have to wait for when it lands over here.

• Thumbs Up 7

http://youtu.be/qsEvBiLNPFo

GameSpot gave it a 5 out of 10

"Lost world fairs better in its 2D sections"

No No No. This is what I don't wanna hear. 2D in this game looks so poor, and I'm tired of half-assed generic 2D platforming shoehorned in the 3D games. I love Colors, but the 2D sections have only gotten worse since then.

Edited by thatguyfrom03
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well if people were wondering why Sonic Team was keeping the condom on we now know why.

• Thumbs Up 6

Gotta love how when the dude on the Gamespot video says that the game is slippery the footage is from Frozen Factory, when Sonic is, you know, SLIDING ON ICE THATS SUPPOSED TO BE SLIPPERY.

And the dude complains on the difficulty of the game... While dying on easy spots... Also, funny how the IGN review says he keeps wall-running anywhere, but the dude here says he can't wall-run for shit...

*Sigh* To think people will actually not buy the game because of this bullshit -.-

Also, funny how the IGN review says he keeps wall-running anywhere, but the dude here says he can't wall-run for shit...

Wall-running is a nightmare.

• Thumbs Up 2

Escapist Review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10668-Sonic-Lost-World-Review-Beauty-Is-Only-Quill-Deep

2.5 out of 5 Stars

Bottom Line: Sonic Lost World is a mediocre, dated game matched up with beautiful visuals. There's nothing new or memorable here.

Recommendation: This one's for the Sonic fans and those hungry for another platformer, everyone else, skip it.

Edited by FourCartridge