Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

I don't see why we can't play both. I personally have a healthy 50/50 dose of Battlefield and Sonic.

Well that means you have a varied taste in games, which is fine. I do too. I'll go for GTA 5 and Generations in the same night. That's not what he was mocking: he was mocking stereotypical people who play Call Of Duty and ONLY Call of Duty and thinks that more child-friendly games suck because they are "kiddish".

• Thumbs Up 1

If it can be asked who  on TSS is reviewing the 3DS version and what time frame can we expect its release.

If it can be asked who  on TSS is reviewing the 3DS version and what time frame can we expect its release.

VizardJeffhog

is reviewing the 3DS version after the US release. 

Hello.

... .... Only kidding. How shit scared were some of you!

Edit: Dammit shadz.

• Thumbs Up 1

VizardJeffhog

is reviewing the 3DS version after the US release. 

Cool. Can't wait

Hello.

... .... Only kidding. How shit scared were some of you!

Edit: Dammit shadz.

I wouldn't mind having a second opinion from you Hogfather to be honest.

Hogfather, you can do a separate Angry Joe style Angry Hoggy review :P

Actually... I might actually be able to get some playtime on it this weekend. Although I don't think it's enough to justify a full review even on a second opinion thing.

I'm kinda curious if only that I've been told it's supposed to be really good.

I dunno if I'd go that far, but... your mileage may vary.

I'd say that Desert Ruins 1, Tropical Coast 1 and Frozen Factory 1 are all fantastic. Windy Hill as a whole is very good, and the rest of the game varies between decent and horrible. Who thought that Frozen Factory 2 was a good idea?

Actually... I might actually be able to get some playtime on it this weekend. Although I don't think it's enough to justify a full review even on a second opinion thing.

I don't think people are saying it "supposed" to be really good. Just a decent game...I wouldn't put it past it being better than colors...but at least its not as forgettable.

I know that at this point its probably a budget issue...but I really want to see another "Sonic Unleashed" in terms of love. I think Lost World was trying to do that, but they stopped caring a one point. Even if you don't like unleashed you can feel the "love" all the way though the game. I didn't get that with Lost World...they went full steam and decided to not finish the race...

Actually that exactly what Lost wold is a race that was not finished. Reaching but not reaching enough...

Edited by Voyant

Has this review been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6jy_47pQEQ

I think it's actually pretty spot on, and definitely a review I can agree with.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmm, frankly, reading all these reviews just makes me want to get my hands on both versions of the game, just to see what's all the "love it or hate it" hubbub is about. I honestly haven't seen such a divisive Sonic game since... what, Sonic 4? Sonic Unleashed? Either way, this is quite a surprise for me.

Edited by Komodin

I don't think people are saying it "supposed" to be really good. Just a decent game...I wouldn't put it past it being better than colors...but at least its not as forgettable.

I know that at this point its probably a budget issue...but I really want to see another "Sonic Unleashed" in terms of love. I think Lost World was trying to do that, but they stopped caring a one point. Even if you don't like unleashed you can feel the "love" all the way though the game. I didn't get that with Lost World...they went full steam and decided to not finish the race...

Actually that exactly what Lost wold is a race that was not finished.

Unleashed had love put into it all the way through unless you ignore the one padded, furry, 50% elephant in the room that is a shnning example of how they didn't have complete faith in their brand new gameplay style for it to stand on it's own. I mean christ at least Lost World tried varying ideas that actually WORKED in the past (and maybe not exclusively Sonic's past hohoho) rather than trying again and again to get something to work that has proven time and again that it just doesnt (in this case genre roulette).

And hell, Unleashed didn't exactly have a stellar finale either, throwing their hands up in the air and only caring to make Egg Dragoon decent.

Edited by SoniManbeast
  • Thumbs Up 3

I will admit that shamelessly ripping off Mario is a less awful idea than ripping off God of War, yeah. Damn shame thinking about what Unleashed could have been.

Damn shame thinking about what Unleashed could have been.

Well, let's not forget that for as fun as the Day stages could get, there was still control that was too slippery and the level design was not very good for the most part.

Playing Generations Modern stages is the perfect example to give. If Unleashed controlled and had level design as good as Generations...If only.

Well, we have the Unleashed Project that solved the control problems, but there was still the level design with lack of substance.

I personally think Dark Gaia should haved fucked off from the story and as a final boss fight. It had far too many unesessary QTEs, slow-ass Light Gaia gameplay that broke the flow, and of course once again being the generic ancient monster shoving Eggman to the side lines at the last minute.

Mostly liked it for the cinematic value of it to be honest.

Edited by Narukami07

Don't know if this has been posted but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUu-Z9AJHvd7C7D0Ce4rEWPQ&v=dMByC5O5h1M&feature=player_detailpage

Now before you guys jump on me for posting this video keep in mind he aknowledges Sonic Colors and Generations being great games and that his only point in the video is to not care what other reviewers think of the game and calm down.  He even states near the end that Lost World looks good and he'd try it.

It's gonna be fine.  In the end reviewers don't mean shit because it's Sonic and it'll sell.  No doubt.  I don't think SEGA's gonna go back to 'bewst2wen' gameplay either seen as how they've already gotten so far with the engine and all of the good points of the engine are pointed out. 

We're gonna be fine.  Just because a game got average reviews doesn't mean we're gonna go back to 'The Dark Ages' of Sonic, it doesn't mean Sonic is going to go back to being gaming's biggest punching bag, trolls are gonna troll no matter what.  Lets all just calm down and not get worked up over what reviewers say.  Hell, it might be seen as a underrated gem in the coming years.

Fellow Sonic fans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q19QGIth5w

Edited by CanofEpicSauce
  • Thumbs Up 2

So for some reason this guy's favorite part of the game were the mach speed levels even though they're the king of the cheap deaths he complains about.*  And he keeps saying that Sonic is all about speed.  No, silly, it's about jumping near enough to a POI that you can just use the homing attack! 

*Whoops, missremembered this, his primary complain was about the game being more about memerizing the levels (even though they're a lot slower than Unleashed) and I though this was strange becasue mach speed levels are basically built on this.  

They both have that "if you don't have existing momentum from running your horizontal jumping distance is very sluggish" thing.  

Which is ass backwards for Sonic.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't know if this has been posted but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUu-Z9AJHvd7C7D0Ce4rEWPQ&v=dMByC5O5h1M&feature=player_detailpage

Now before you guys jump on me for posting this video keep in mind he aknowledges Sonic Colors and Generations being great games and that his only point in the video is to not care what other reviewers think of the game and calm down.  He even states near the end that Lost World looks good and he'd try it.

It's gonna be fine.  In the end reviewers don't mean shit because it's Sonic and it'll sell.  No doubt.  I don't think SEGA's gonna go back to 'bewst2wen' gameplay either seen as how they've already gotten so far with the engine and all of the good points of the engine are pointed out. 

We're gonna be fine.  Just because a game got average reviews doesn't mean we're gonna go back to 'The Dark Ages' of Sonic, it doesn't mean Sonic is going to go back to being gaming's biggest punching bag, trolls are gonna troll no matter what.  Lets all just calm down and not get worked up over what reviewers say.  Hell, it might be seen as a underrated gem in the coming years.

Who knew that BlackBuster and I would actually agree on something? (Long story short, I have a really rough history with the guy, being a Barney fan and all. Yes, it was two years ago, but I'm still bitter over it.).

Anyway, I agree with your points (and, reluctantly, his) entirely. Just because Lost World doesn't get the best reviews doesn't mean that we're going back to Sonic '06 levels of quality, mockery, etc.

*Whoops, missremembered this, his primary complain was about the game being more about memerizing the levels (even though they're a lot slower than Unleashed) and I though this was strange becasue mach speed levels are basically built on this.

Lost World has a lot of problems in terms of level design but I can't recall any moment I died because of not "remembering" the segments. That's Unleashed's idea of cheap difficulty. Lava Mountain 2 is probably the only stage that has signs of this but that's because it's a carbon copy of the minecart levels from the DKC series, mostly the DKC2 ones where you had to turn on switches in order to not get damaged.

In Lost World most of the difficulty comes from not perceiving the design the way you sometimes expect it to be, and how some segments require a lot of precision. This includes a lot of stage specific gimmicks.

You are correct about the on-rails segments being a chief offender in memorization because you actually have to react within set times but during those segments enemies move away from you so you usually get enough time to react in a fair matter.

The reviewer, who reviewed Lost World for IGN, explains his reasoning for his score here. I gotta admit, I do like that there was a person who kinda played the devil's advocate here and tried to highlight the good points of this game. Check it out, if you want. It starts at about 0:44:00:

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/e/d/1/ed1d53f5ede81533/NVC102413.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d01c08530d0ce5f6d26&c_id=6322131

Edited by LoiLoi17

Not sure I agree with all of his points, but at least he took the time to explain himself.

But still, really - a 5?

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know guys, considering that the highest ratings that Sonic games have gotten have pretty much been in the 70s on Metacritic, crying "Doom" and "Sonic Cycle" at a 63 metascore seems a bit ridiculous actually.

And that's not even going into the actual critic distribution:

Critic score distribution:
  1. Positive: 16 out of 44
  2. Negative: 5
Why people claim that negative reviews are dominant for this game, I may never know.