Awoo.

Designing a Shrine, a Centerpiece, a Monument

novelty

ojFIHx2l.jpg

current state of my shrine area

I decided to make an area in my room look as lavish as possible because I always loved shrines in movies and such of the like. It kind of reminds me of that “big moment” where the protagonist (or protagonists) have to prepare themselves in some ludicrous way for a final battle or final war. In other cases, like Bioshock: Infinite where you are first put in front of a monumental shrine to show how powerful the city of Columbia is overall.

bioshock_infinite.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

...well because it looks cool

Pretty much I am trying to find ways to add flair to this empty space in my room. From where it’s positioned, everyone can see it the moment you walk into the room and I want it to be more than just a bare wooden space. What kind of designs do you guys have in mind when it comes to making a “shrine”?

Also, I am thinking of putting some type of statue or water display to make this area look cool. So far I am thinking of fountains or large statues of angels, animals, or something to at least make it as cool as I possibly can.

household_shrine_casa_dei_vet_hi.jpg

So far I am just inspired by other pictures of traditional far eastern countries and a little from the Vatican City…well, not because of religion, but because it looks cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would put something lavish in the center, perhaps a statue or a piece of artwork I believe is particularly noteworthy in its design, execution and subject. Other than that, I'm not really sure. I do indeed enjoy Vatican City's artwork and archetectural design, as well as Grecian, Native American, Renaissance and Romanic pieces.

I would put something lavish in the center, perhaps a statue or a piece of artwork I believe is particularly noteworthy in its design, execution and subject. Other than that, I'm not really sure. I do indeed enjoy Vatican City's artwork and architectural design, as well as Grecian, Native American, Renaissance and Romanic pieces.

Thing is, Where would I go to find something like that? Also, I am planning to use both Incense and Aroma oil burners to set the mood everytime I walk into my room (as you can see I have the incense coffin burner and I am waiting for three aroma oil burners [which is the reason I have tealight candles])

Also, I am looking for something to cover up the wooden area....like a long doily or something of the like. Where in particular can I find that?

Maybe if I have the patience, I would set up lights for this thing to further extend the mood...Where can I find cheap mood lights anyways? I already looked at dealextreme.com and sites similar to them but I don't understand how those actually work.

If you want to craft something yourself, you can make nice lighting stuff out of simple transparent paper and LED/light chains. Create for a example a rock-like, rough shape out of the paper and put the light chain underneath it. Makes some nice indirect lighting, without taking the appearance of anything like a spotlight. Use red and orange colors, and I think you can pull off some cool lava without spending a fortune.

Real nice lights for a shrine like that could also be salt lamps. You can get those relatively cheap off Amazon or Ebay.

Again, if you're into crafting stuff yourself, you can try making a centerpiece statue yourself. Clay can be found in a lot of shops, and it's fun making something you like out of it. Otherwise you might be lucky at one of those markets selling gardening stuff. Some people like to put little statues near ponds and stuff, so you could find something to use as a centerpiece there.

• Thumbs Up 1