Awoo.

Spoiler Topic [Warning - Untagged Discussion]

Carbo

Desert Ruins Act 2: NOW THAT IS HOW A MAC-SPEED LEVEL SHOULD WORK!  

Just before you take on the boss (which is also pretty cool), in the last section if you move Sonic to the other side of the honeycombe, there is a row of four extra lives and a red star ring! Nice. 

Edited by -Bender-

How are we ever going to get a harder Sonic games when as soon as we get to a more tougher sections in the game people begin to fuss?

There's a difference between competently made segments of a game that pose a challenge and littering a stage with bottomless pits and instant death traps and calling it a day.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

"Oh ho ho ho! Prepare yourself!"

I think we have a new "get a load of this" here...

Eggman says it at the beginning of the final boss.

Edited by Wil348
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Oh ho ho ho! Prepare yourself!"

I think we have a new "get a load of this" here...

Eggman says it at the beginning of the final boss.

I could swear that he says it in another game too. It's been a while since I have picked up any Sonic game to play.

Pollock's pointed "You" to Zomom is probably the best use of voice acting in this game hands down. I can't believe it made me laugh as much as it did.

We need a short YouTube clip of that.

Edited by Scheming Minor

Another update on the mp3s! Only one more remains and it was because Twitch glitched on me and I missed it. However I definitely expect to get it by the end of today. I also added in the opening that plays on the title screen so there's now 40 mp3s that will end up in this zip file.

I hope to have a link to download a zip folder of mp3s to all Sonic Lost World cutscenes in the next 12-24 hours! smile.png

EDIT: All the cutscenes take 31 minutes to play. It's a small folder though. 32 MB.

Edited by SSF1991

There's a difference between competently made segments of a game that pose a challenge and littering a stage with bottomless pits and instant death traps and calling it a day.

Call me crazy but i'd prefer that than nothing. Its not like we are playing "I am the guy" here and the traps are almost unavoidable.

Thread carefully and try not to blast through the stage and maybe people would get less frustrated.

Edited by Voyant

Call me crazy but i'd prefer that than nothing. Its not like we are playing "I am the guy" here and the traps are almost unavoidable.

Thread carefully and try not to blast through the stage and maybe people would get less frustrated.

Levels are supposed to test your skill as a player based on what you've learned, not to throw as many random obstacles in an arbitrary manor as possible under the premise of "difficulty".

Once again, I am late to the party...but what else is new?! wink.png

Anyway, a lack of willpower is usually a bad thing; but when it comes to all things Sonic, I honestly have no such thing as willpower regarding spoilers for Sonic games. I can't say that a lack of willpower being a bad thing is the case for me personally here as I failed to demonstrate any kind of willpower in regards to spoilers for Sonic Lost World. Fortunately, I can say that I have no regrets in not avoiding any spoilers.

I haven't seen everything at this point, but I've seen and heard enough at this point to where I am very pleased and excited for the game. Complaints and concerns aside (such as the spikes of difficulty and the ending, for example) I am still very much hyped for this game. It's going to be kind of hard to pick my favorite level, at least visually, although I think that Tropical Coast looks absolutely gorgeous! I think I am gong to have a hard time picking my favorite music tracks also as everything I have heard so far sounds amazing as well. I found the cutscenes to be highly entertaining and I really like the story; I like it a lot as it seems to be very well-balanced with the humor and serious content.

nhr0Lb3.png?1

I think Tropical Coast looks amazing, as do other levels in Sonic Lost World.

Speaking of the ending, it really didn't bother me, to be honest. In fact, I liked how the ending was simple with Dr. Eggman providing some ending humor and Sonic laying down and relaxing, as I am sure he had to be emotionally and physically exhausted after everthing had happened beforehand. So that said it was nice to actually see our hero close his eyes, chill out, and relax. Sonic had his friends Tails, Knuckles and Amy right there with him so I though that was a nice peaceful scene to end the game with after a rather eventful adventure.

I'm a Sonic fan that is big on characterization, and Sonic Lost World does not appear to disappoint in that regard at all! Just to mention a few things, Dr. Eggman is clever, cunning and comical. Tails is clever as well and felt his attitude that he had was very justified in what feels like Dr. Eggman invading Tails' territory as Sonic's sidekick. As for Sonic-he's apologetic, funny, concerned about Dr. Eggman when he thought he died, feels guilty about what he has done in the game and Sonic being distraught at one point...I find Sonic displaying such emotions deeply impressive. I could go on and on about what I feel is excellent character development here in Sonic Lost World, but I'll save that for another day. I loved how the personalities were fleshed out and I love the interaction between the characters. It was absoultely awesome to see Sonic and Tails' bromance back in action again.

Sonic Lost World isn't perfect by any means, but flaws aside I personally like this game much more than I did a few days ago. In the end, count me as being sold on Sonic Lost World. But to be honest, I've been sold on this game, as I've been personally excited for and hightly anticipating this game since day 1. The first thing I am going to once I get paid tomorrow is finally preorder Sonic Lost World. Then I will have to wait for October 29th to roll around. It is said that patience is a virtue, and it will be so worth the wait as I absolutely looking forward to finally having and being able to play Sonic Lost World. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 2

The person on the live stream I'm watching just died on Lava Mountain Act 2 because the door didn't open all the way for him to double jump through it.

Edited by Chooch

Idk how many times people have said this but the music in this game is amazing, Lava Mountain Zone 2 may be Eggmanland revenge but its music is so touching.. dem feels..

Anyway I so wanna see someone speed run Lava Mountain Zone 2 & make it look like shit, that would be so epic.

And how was the final boss like? What attacks were used? Was the music good =O?

Heh XD! Saw the cutscene where Zik fed Zazz Zomom's sandwich! I'm pleasantly surprised at how legitimate the humor is this time around!biggrin.png

Idk how many times people have said this but the music in this game is amazing, Lava Mountain Zone 2 may be Eggmanland revenge but its music is so touching.. dem feels..

Anyway I so wanna see someone speed run Lava Mountain Zone 2 & make it look like shit, that would be so epic.

And how was the final boss like? What attacks were used? Was the music good =O?

The Final boss was pretty much the Egg Nega wisp, down to how to beat him, and his defeated animation, his attacks were using his hands to try and crush you like the Time Eater, some lasers and energy balls. The music is that fast paced violin piece from the Tokyo Game Show trailer.

The person on the live stream I'm watching just died on Lava Mountain Act 2 because the door didn't open all the way for him to double jump through it.

I didn't watch the stream, so I don't know exactly which place you mean but if it is the place with the red and green rails he should have used the red rail all the way to the door. Then it would be open on time. ;)

Lava Mountain Act 2 would be less frustrating if the game didn't have lives.

SLW shouldn't have lives. There's so much trial and error about the game that getting a game over means nothing. Not getting an extra life when you get 100 rings really sucks.

The game itself is growing on me. I've made it to the fourth world. I enjoyed the rail grinding level of Tropical Coast (Act3).

The music is pretty sweat, definitely going to buy the soundtrack.

Don't know what the fuss is about the wisps. They are pretty easy to control.

Speaking of easy, so far the bosses have been a piece of cake. Fun, but very straightforward.

As for the cutscenes, I love the banter between Eggman and Sonic. They loathe each other. I like how Tails is still a bit sarcastic with Sonic.

Can't fault the graphics and framerate. I did experience a bit of slowdown in the final act of Windy Hill though.

The 2d levels are okay, but a bit too linear. Feels like a step backwards from Generations 2d levels. I like how Sonic feels with the exception of when he jumps in the 2d stages. It's like he loses all momentum when he jumps and is sluggish. Not as bad as Colours slippery physics, but could be better. 

I played the hidden act in Tropical Coast where Sonic floats and you guide him to the end. Erm it's okay.

Overall I'm liking SLW a lot. 

Edited by -Bender-

Gotta say, it was a treat getting to see everything, especially since I don't own a Wii-U or 3DS. I was always extremely interested in this title, and I still think it looks like the most ambitious Sonic game since Unleashed. I love how the gameplay looks, with maximum control over Sonic and his speed, coupled with gravity-defying levels that allow for some mind-bending level designs. The art-style is very.. simplistic, almost like the developers tried directly porting the art style from the Genesis titles. While I prefer the more complex and aesthetically-pleasing graphics of Generations, this looks great in its own right. My only gripe is, at times, some level designs appear to take far too much of a cue from Mario Galaxy, but beyond that, this looks like it stands well on its own.

The bosses looked really varied and interesting, with multiple matches against each Deadly Six member giving us different types of battles against them. Nothing ground-breaking, but fun nonetheless. Even the final boss, being a clone of the Nega Wisp, didn't look TOO bad.. I wouldn't have minded as much if it didn't look even EASIER than the boss it was based on. Plus, its design looked pretty slick: the segmented, cape-toting robot is right up there with the Egg Dragoon, or one of the final boss mechs from the Genesis titles. 

The story and voice acting are mostly great. I haven't been this invested in a Sonic game's story since Adventure 2, and I certainly enjoyed the dynamic tone of the game, knowing when to be outright silly and when to be dark... like, the darkest the franchise has been since Adventure 2. The characters were equally dynamic, with the exception of most of the Deadly Six.. but I didn't mind too much. Zavok got most of the attention, and he's probably the best non-Eggman villain the franchise has had since Mephiles the Dark. He's cold, calculating, has no time for humor (contrasting nicely to Eggman), and knows how to mentally mess with his opponents. And him capturing Tails and threatening to turn him into a robot was just vicious! I wasn't expecting that kind of depth out any member of the Deadly Six, thinking they'd just be bland plot devices for the sake of giving Sega more characters to cash in. But the fact that Zavok was such a strong villain dispelled that. Not to mention that the other Deadly Six members have some great bits of dialog, though bits like Zeena's rambling about manicures during Frozen Factory Zone 2 does nothing but break level immersion.

My only real gripe with the story is we don't get enough of certain things. For example, once Sonic defeats the Zeti at Lava Mountain, we don't see what happens to them: he just wins and they.. escape? Die? I don't even know. Why couldn't we have gotten a simple cutscene of them, defeated before Sonic, with Zavok saying something like, "This isn't over, hedgehog. We will return, and when we do, you'll lose everything you hold dear!" Then, they vanish. That'd be, what, a 20-second cutscene or something?

Also, this isn't a big deal, but I think it would have been interesting if the bond of the Deadly Six, based solely on power, was compared to the bond of friendship between Sonic and his friends. I mean, Zavok easily could have brought up how Sonic's weak friends aren't worth having around, and how power is all that matters and stuff, with Sonic retorting about how his friends would never leave his side no matter how bad it got, and that is worth more than any power. Stuff like that would have been a nice layer of frosting on the cake. 

Then, when Eggman makes his triumphant return, we don't hear anything about why he saved Sonic. I mean, sure, it can be inferred that he did it so Sonic could take down the Deadly Six, but why didn't he expound on why he didn't take the opportunity to drop his greatest foe into lava? Or why can't we Sonic get absolutely furious as to how he actually almost felt guilty over Eggman's "death?" Or how he even wasted his time palling around with his nemesis, who really didn't end up changing much at all? Or howabout Tails rubbing how he was right in Sonic's face, considering how much lip service he gave him about it before?

Speaking of which, Tails just really got under my skin at times. Yes, he has every right to be upset about Sonic not listening to him. Yes, I'd be mad too if my best friend was warming up to my worst enemy and giving me less attention. But my God, he acted like such a little shithead at times that I could barely relate him to the cute little death magnet that followed me around in the Genesis titles. Plus, he was needlessly arrogant, and from day 1 he's always had a respect for Eggman's robotic prowess, despite them being enemies.. until this game. Don't get me wrong, I loved how the writers are giving these normally simple characters such added depth, but I think they took it a bit too far with Tails. Sure, he had his moments, but then again, so did pretty much everyone else. 

Oh, I didn't mind the ending. Sure, I wish we could have gotten the stuff I previously mentioned, but beyond that, it was solid enough. Eggman threatens to use the Zeti again, leaving the door open for a sequel, Sonic goes home, overjoyed to see his pals again, and Sonic just relaxes and appreciates the things he nearly lost. Oh, and Eggman losing half his mustache was pretty funny.

Still, I'm left wondering some things. I may have missed something, but what exactly is the Lost Hex? What are "Zeti" and why did Zik form the Deadly Six in the first place? Why are they allergic to the magic conch?Learning about little things like these could have added a bit more to the game's mythos for me. 

That, coupled with some excellent looking extra content, and I'm left wishing I had a Wii-U. Thanks to whoever streamed the game yesterday, it was an interesting ride, to say the least. 

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else liked how Zavok was psychologically getting to Sonic? I mean Sonic at first blew them off like he typically does, but once Tails is kidnapped, all bets are off. Zavok continuously taunts Sonic over his failings and how his friends are falling one by one. Never has something like that been done in this series before.

You have alerted the yaoi artists

Another update on the mp3s! Only one more remains and it was because Twitch glitched on me and I missed it. However I definitely expect to get it by the end of today. I also added in the opening that plays on the title screen so there's now 40 mp3s that will end up in this zip file.

I hope to have a link to download a zip folder of mp3s to all Sonic Lost World cutscenes in the next 12-24 hours! :)

EDIT: All the cutscenes take 31 minutes to play. It's a small folder though. 32 MB.

I'll add this to the ripped ost queue. Hope to see it soon :)

Gotta say, it was a treat getting to see everything, especially since I don't own a Wii-U or 3DS. I was always extremely interested in this title, and I still think it looks like the most ambitious Sonic game since Unleashed. I love how the gameplay looks, with maximum control over Sonic and his speed, coupled with gravity-defying levels that allow for some mind-bending level designs. The art-style is very.. simplistic, almost like the developers tried directly porting the art style from the Genesis titles. While I prefer the more complex and aesthetically-pleasing graphics of Generations, this looks great in its own right. My only gripe is, at times, some level designs appear to take far too much of a cue from Mario Galaxy, but beyond that, this looks like it stands well on its own.

The bosses looked really varied an interesting, with multiple matches against each Deadly Six member giving us different types of battles against them. Even the final boss, being a clone of the Nega Wisp, didn't look TOO bad.. I wouldn't have minded as much if it didn't look even EASIER than the boss it was based on. Plus, it looked pretty slick: the segmented, cape-toting design of the robot is right up there with the Egg Dragoon, or one of the final boss mechs from the Genesis titles. 

The story and voice acting is mostly great. I haven't been this invested in a Sonic game's story since Adventure 2, and I certainly enjoyed the dynamic tone of the game, knowing when to be outright silly and when to be dark... like, the darkest the franchise has been since Adventure 2. The characters were equally dynamic, with the exception of most of the Deadly Six.. but I didn't mind too much. Zavok got most of the attention, and he's probably the best non-Eggman villain the franchise has had since Mephiles the Dark. He's cold, calculating, has no time for humor (contrasting nicely to Eggman), and knows how to mentally mess with his opponents. I wasn't expecting that kind of depth out any member of the Deadly Six, thinking they'd just be bland plot devices for the sake of giving Sega more characters to cash in. But the fact that Zavok was such a strong villain dispelled that. Not to mention that the other Deadly Six members have some great bits of dialog.

My only real gripe with the story is we don't get enough of certain things. For example, once Sonic defeats the Zeti at Lava Mountain, we don't see what happens to them: he just wins and they.. escape? Die? I don't even know. Why couldn't we have gotten a simple cutscene of them, defeated before Sonic, with Zavok saying something like, "This isn't over, hedgehog. We will return, and when we do, you'll lose everything you hold dear!" Then, they vanish. That'd be, what, a 20-second cutscene or something?

Also, this isn't a big deal, but I think it would have been interesting if the bond of the Deadly Six, based solely on power, was compared to the bond of friendship between Sonic and his friends. I mean, Zavok easily could have brought up how Sonic's weak friends aren't worth having around, and how power is all that matters and stuff, with Sonic retorting about how his friends would never leave his side no matter how bad it got, and that is worth more than any power. Stuff like that would have been a nice layer of frosting on the cake. 

Then, when Eggman makes his triumphant return, we don't hear anything about why he saved Sonic. I mean, sure, it can be inferred that he did it so Sonic could take down the Deadly Six, but why didn't he expound on why he didn't take the opportunity to drop his greatest foe into lava? Or why can't we Sonic get absolutely furious as to how he actually almost felt guilty over Eggman's "death?" Or how he even wasted his time palling around with his nemesis? Or howabout Tails rubbing how he was right in Sonic's face, considering how much lip service he gave him about it before?

Speaking of which, Tails just really got under my skin at times. Yes, he has every right to be upset about Sonic not listening to him. Yes, I'd be mad too if my best friend was warming up to my worst enemy and giving me less attention. But my God, he acted like such a little shithead at times that I could barely relate him to the cute little death magnet that followed me around in the Genesis titles. Don't get me wrong, I loved how the writers are giving these normally simple characters such added depth, but I think they took it a bit too far with Tails. 

Oh, I didn't mind the ending. Sure, I wish we could have gotten the stuff I previously mentioned, but beyond that, it was solid enough. Eggman threatens to use the Zeti again, leaving the door open for a sequel, Sonic goes home, overjoyed to see his pals again, and Sonic just relaxes and appreciates the things he nearly lost. Oh, and Eggman losing half his mustache was pretty funny. 

That, coupled with some excellent looking extra content, and I'm left wishing I had a Wii-U. Thanks to whoever streamed the game yesterday, it was an interesting ride, to say the least. 

While it would have been nice to have the lingering plot threads be resolved (why are the Wisps there/what happened to the Deadly Six, ect), its really refreshing to have a Sonic game have a really solid story again. Sure, some parts of the Adventure games and Heroes was really campy, but for almost five years we've haven't had a Sonic game with consistent story; Generations had no plot and while it was solid, Colors was lacking a some areas story wise. The StoryBook games had solid stories, as did Unleashed, but recent games have been lacking in this area, so Lost World having a really great plot is a nice surprise, even if some stuff remains unanswered.

I'm just really curious about something, why are the Wisps there?!? Did the Deadly Six take them along with the Animal Friends to the Lost Hex?

I'm just really curious about something, why are the Wisps there?!? Did the Deadly Six take them along with the Animal Friends to the Lost Hex?

No. The Wisps aren't explained at all. They're just there for no reason.

....WHY are they in this game? 

SLW shouldn't have lives. There's so much trial and error about the game that getting a game over means nothing. Not getting an extra life when you get 100 rings really sucks.

Well, there is a place in honeycomb level where you can grab 4 lives after checkpoint, just die after you collect them and repeat the same thing over and over until you get 99 lives, it shouldn't take you longer, it's cheating yeah, but in the levels like Lava Mountain Zone 2 i would care less about cheating.

Do they ever mention/ reference the events of Generations with Eggman being stranded in White Space?

My only real problem with the game's story isn't that the Deadly Six have no cutscene once Sonic defeats them, its that the way they left it open, makes it looks like Sonic killed them all in an act of revenge for everything he lost up to that point, while it is interesting, once the planet gets its energy back and everyone is well and ok, makes it seems like Sonic killed them for nothing, since everyone he killed them for, are alive and kicking, and he just killed them out of rage, without thinking twice.

No. The Wisps aren't explained at all. They're just there for no reason.

....WHY are they in this game?

The wisps are probably in to help make the gameplay more fun. Just think of them as power-ups that you can use to add a bit more "UMF" to your Lost World experience.