Awoo.

Jobseekers forced to dance at job interview.

Stacy

It's just bloody unnecessary. I can understand spontaneity, but if you ever have to be in a situation where you had to dance when working as a customer advisor in Curry's, then something has fucked up badly.

Dancing is so incredibly random and unpredictable though, that the theory would be that being able to do so well on the spot means you're well equipped should another unpredicted situation arise.

Now whether that theory holds any water is another thing entirely.

Gauging one's ability to act to spontaneous situations and work together is fine, but not every test of such is directly relevant to every position of the job or even tasteful. To throw job interviewees in a situation that's only relevant in the absolute broadest of terms and equate being asked to freestyle on the spot with strangers in a retail job only induces confusion, fear, humiliation, embarrassment, and spite.

Maybe I've got a different mentality than most people. I don't really see dancing as humiliating at all, but that's probably because I really enjoy doing so (regardless of whether it's strangers around me or not). I guess other folks aren't as comfortable with it.

And clearly the company feels the same otherwise they wouldn't be reviewing the guy who told them to do this.

Which is the proper action as dancing is not specified in the recruitment procedure (it sounds more like they're angry at him for going against protocol than exactly how he went against it; for all we know he could have tried to get higher up approval for such, but he made a unilateral decision beyond the range of his position and so must suffer the penalty).

Personally I wonder what was going through this manager's head when he required the dancing. Sounds like he forgot that even those behind a desk need to answer to someone behind a bigger desk.

Edited by Boss Ogilvie

Maybe I've got a different mentality than most people. I don't really see dancing as humiliating at all, but that's probably because I really enjoy doing so (regardless of whether it's strangers around me or not). I guess other folks aren't as comfortable with it.

There's a time and place for everything. I'm fine with dancing in the right circumstances. At home to practice, conventions, parties, for routines; I don't mind at all. An interview for a job that has no relevance to dancing whatsoever except in really stretched terms? No; the interviewer can screw off.

• Thumbs Up 4

It isn't about rich exploiting poor I never said it was. I am pissed off at just how pointless and unnecessary it is if want to see if people have potential working as team try exercises and scenarios related to the work environment not make them dance there are other ways of testing if people can work in a team environment than dancing making feel emotionally exploited.

Some of these corporate company exercises are illogical, unnecessary and insulting. 

Images in my first post were intended to be funny hence the Carlton.

Edited by BW199148

The poor and unemployed have been stripped of their dignity for years. I'm frankly surprised this doesn't happen more often in places where dancing isn't a job requirement.

I agree. As someone who struggled for over 3 1/2 years before finding job, I STRONGLY find this disrespectful and evil! What makes me angry and sad is how the people in my country don't seem to care about the record unemployment and extreme income inequality. Seriously there are many people who are so desperate that they will easily dance for job. In fact, they will eat their own poop if it means they get that minimum wage heavy labor job! :(
  • Thumbs Up 1

As big a fan of Daft Punk and other House as I am this is completely unexceptionable. Sickening though not much shocking that management could take advantage of workers (or in this situation prospective workers) in such a demeanor.

With that said if I were in the situation I'd likely would have sucked it up and done it anyway. Income triumphs all else I suppose.