Awoo.

Woman tricked into buying two apples...the fruit, not the tech.

Abominal SnowTaz

An Australian woman caught up in a scam ended up paying $1,200 for two pieces of fruit.

The crime of produce happened on a Website called Gumtree. According to the Herald Sun, the 21-year-old scam victim placed an ad asking if anyone had an iPhone for sale.

She got a response from another woman who said she could sell her two. The two met at a McDonald’s where the buyer handed the seller $1,200 and was handed two “iPhone boxes that looked new.” The woman didn’t check to see what was inside.

She finally looked once she got home, and found fruit, not phones, inside.

Police from the Queensland town of Upper Mount Gravatt, near Brisbane, pointed out that people should be “wary” when buying online.

"Don't stay away, because most people are doing the right thing, but be smart about what you buy," Senior Constable Jess Hopkin told the Herald Sun.

Commenters on the Web were less kind. Andrew Perrott wrote on the Independent, “The sheer stupidity of some people defies belief.”

Marcin Karpinski added, “Nowadays, phones are smarter and more intelligent than their owners.”

source: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-tricked-into-buying-two-actual-apples-she-thought-were-iphones-152105262.html

8fd7060acbaf9b3ee1939451509cde84_full.jp

Yeah...you know what, I'll leave this to you guys I mean oh my God. I'm starting to see a pattern here... Fuck that noise, tomorrow's tax free day. I need to sleep for Wolverine.

Edited by Abominal Taz

The least I'd do is check the damn box before paying, or better yet, buy the iPhones from Apple.

Edited by Abominal Taz

.....wait...she was willing to fork over THAT much money but didn't go...to...an...actual........Apple Store?

My brain hurts

Those must be the two of the most delicious apples ever.

They were actually weapons. One bite and Snow White!

Why didn't she just buy them at retail? -.-

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope she ate those apples. At $1200, it'd be a damn shame if she let them rot and go to waste.

But seriously, stupid. If she was that hell bent on shelling out that amount of moola, she could have easily gone to an authorized Apple reseller or the Apple Store itself. Or, she could have gone on Ebay and purchased one via the Buy It Now feature on an auction.

At least with both options she'd have some piece of mind. Buying direct from the manufacturer at least guarantees authenticity, while Ebay has some pretty stringent buyer/seller's protection in the event someone's trying to pull a scam.

She bought a used product from an unprofessional vendor and didn't check the quality.

While the buyer did something underhanded, I will say she deserves this in every sense of the word. When even a professional vendor like Gamestop sometimes has subpar products, it should be enough to caution you against used purchases.