Awoo.

Sega Saturn Game disscussion, review, advice and opinion thread

Mando-Whirl-Wind

So I guess best way to start this thread is to state the purpose behind it. This being a sonic forum many of us are fans of classic sega systems in general and like the classic games, so this gives us all a chance to dicuss classic games on the sega saturn and allow people who are new to these games to ask for advice, help and opinions on various games.

So for rules, first off as always, keep it clean, no reason for language and profanity here, we can all be civil.
Second, this is not a place to drop off reviews from random sites, its a place to share your own experiences, you can reference them, but personal experience is a good part of it, only exception I am making to this rule is if Barry or one of the guys decide to post their reviews from Segabits that is the one exception, outside of that unless you are a reviewer yourself, dont quote random websites, but you can write a review yourself.
Third, dont insult someone for liking a game you dont, everyone is intitled to their own personal opinion.
Fourth, if you want to quote info from another site, that is fine, but please use a refutable database such as segaretro
Finaly, please focus on Saturn games, if you want to reference a Genesis game or a dreamcast game thats fine, but this is not the place to talk about them, if this thread proves sucessful, and passes its trial period of 20 replies or so, I will open complementry Genesis and Dreamcast threads

Also, if you want to talk or ask about other saturn related stuff such as various remotes, like the virtua fighter game pad, or the 3D remote, thats fine, but thats not the primary purpose of this thread

So lets get to discussion, this will be fun, and this should be a great place to get advice and help from

So, I got a question to start this up, anyone have advice and opinions on Street Fighter the Movie(game), and Fighting Vipers, they both look like fun games, but I would love to hear more about them

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah, SEGA Saturn.

Well to answer your question, Fighting Vipers is friggin' amazing, but you should just go for Fighters Megamix. It mashes up characters from Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers, then adds new ones like... the car from Daytona USA, the Hudson Hornet. As a fighter. Yeah.

I much prefer the Fighting Vipers fighting style, as it's more fast paced and accessible.

Anywho, overall I love the Saturn, and it's probably in my top 3 SEGA Systems!

Ah, SEGA Saturn.

Well to answer your question, Fighting Vipers is friggin' amazing, but you should just go for Fighters Megamix. It mashes up characters from Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers, then adds new ones like... the car from Daytona USA, the Hudson Hornet. As a fighter. Yeah.

I much prefer the Fighting Vipers fighting style, as it's more fast paced and accessible.

Anywho, overall I love the Saturn, and it's probably in my top 3 SEGA Systems!

Heh, great to hear!, Sadly the guy doesnt have a copy of Fighters megamix(which I really do want), but he does have Fighting Vipers which is good

Do plan to track down Megamix, its actualy on my B-day list XD

If you can find it, Christmas NiGHTS is great, although better with the (what I call) NiGHTS controller. If you compete the pairs game you get to run around as Sonic, which is a cool little Easter egg

Protip: If you want a Saturn, buy an Action Replay. Otherwise (no joke) don't bother.

• Thumbs Up 3

Protip: If you want a Saturn, buy an Action Replay. Otherwise (no joke) don't bother.

Basically for 3 things

-Override region locking. Sega Saturn's library is mostly Japan-exclusive

-Storage. Saturn's on-board memory is extremely ass. This will give you better save space

-Cheat codes.

• Thumbs Up 3

Its definately on my to get list, provided I get it, already knew

I mean X-men vs Street Fighter, and Marvel vs Street fighter are on my to track down list

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

So, being a newb to saturn stuff I dont know too much about the titles, but I do know I want some fighters and a general game or two, and I finally got the full list(well picture) of the games he is willing to sell with it, so thought I would ask you guys about what you think of some of them, and wheter they would be a good starting point for me
Iron-man/X-O Man of War HEavy Metal(I am a marvel guy, its tempting)
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge(whatever it is, though it is by capcom and I do like their marvel fighting series)
Virtua Fighters 2
Clockwork Knight
Street Fighter the movie
Resurection something
Virtua Cop
Blazing Dragons?
Daytona USA

Thoughts and opinions?

I never owned or played a Saturn, but maybe you should check out Sonic Jam. It's basically a combalation of the classic trilogy (Sonic 1-Sonic 3&K) with a 3d hub world and some cool extras like a spin dash option to Sonic 1 and some videos.

Another cool game might be Burning Rangers; it's made by Sonic Team, I heard it was a good game, and if the track from Sonic Transformed means anything then it has some great music :)

I really don't have much advice on the Saturn but I hope you enjoy your system; it has some great games :)

My Saturn doesn't get used much, but there are a few games I enjoy on it. The problem with the Saturn and it's games are how crazy expensive things can get. That's only amplified when you realise most of the good titles need importing.

The Saturn is okay, but I much prefer some of Sega's other consoles.

Edited by SkyLlama

Over the time I've owned a Saturn, I've just picked up games I see inside stores. So mines is a pick and mix selection.

Duke 3D

Wipeout 2097

Sonic Jam

Alien Trilogy

Quake

Hexen

Super Bust a move 3

Some sort of SEGA arcade compilation

Over the time I've owned a Saturn, I've just picked up games I see inside stores. So mines is a pick and mix selection.

Duke 3D

Wipeout 2097

Sonic Jam

Alien Trilogy

Quake

Hexen

Super Bust a move 3

Some sort of SEGA arcade compilation

So want to give any thoughts and advice on them, thats the purpose of the thread

Panzer Dragoon, SEGA Rally Championship, Soviet Strike and Bug! are all games I remember from my childhood, you should definitely pick some of them up.

> Clockwork Knight 

This game, right here is the motherfucking shit, get it, i'm not even fucking kidding if you own a Saturn, you must own THIS game.

Panzer Dragoon, SEGA Rally Championship, Soviet Strike and Bug! are all games I remember from my childhood, you should definitely pick some of them up.

> Clockwork Knight 

This game, right here is the motherfucking shit, get it, i'm not even fucking kidding if you own a Saturn, you must own THIS game.

Hmm, I know CK was a launch title, and a common game, why is it so great, and isnt the sequel better?(mind you, I am hoping to get it as part of the package with my saturn, just wondering)

CWK 2 is way better, but they follow on from each other so you might as well get both.

CWK 2 has amazing music, level design, level variety and memorable boss fights, it also has a bitch and a half final level before end boss.

CWK 2 is way better, but they follow on from each other so you might as well get both.

CWK 2 has amazing music, level design, level variety and memorable boss fights, it also has a bitch and a half final level before end boss.

Ah, ok then, well will have to track the second one later on

Astal. Not a stellar game, but brilliant graphics and musics.

2880.jpg

Oh yeah, in the cases when it was used in that capability Saturn was one of the most powerful 2D systems ever made wasn't? may have to add that one to my B-day list, also what are some other good 2D games on the saturn?

So I'm going to once again plug one of my favoruite games and game company (see: avatar) again. For me there is one definitive reason to own a Saturn, Radiant Silvergun.

If you love Shumps you've either played or need to play this game. It's easily one of if not the best in the genre with great music (done by Hitoshi Sakimoto), good graphics, a decent story, an interesting weapons system with lots of combos/options and a very complex scoring system.

Of course the game is now on Xbox Live for an affordable price, but until the last few years the only place to get it was the Saturn. If you want to buy a Saturn version it'll cost you 150$+, so it's really on worth it if you love the game at this point.

This is an old Japanese tailer or something...

or dont own an xbox360

On another note I picked up a saturn yesterday, only had enough time to really give 2 games a go.
Street fighter the movie kicked my butt I only made it to the third battle in movie mode barely sad.png on easy
Clockwork knight was fun, made it through the first room
Almost played Iron-man/xo man'O'war heavy metal, but realized its proably better to be saved to be played with a friend
(also got a good pick of other games to try, actualy got to choose them rather than buy a random bundle, may try BUG! today)

Also I was looking around and found out virtua pro remotes are pretty cheap, around the same as a normal remote, and I definately hope to pick one up!

Say are megaman 8 or X4 worth getting?

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

• 2 weeks later...

Ah my saturn. Something I wish I played more of, but I sadly don't at times due to lack of games to play lots of for it. I have Eight games for it. I'm a collector, so owning a saturn was required at some point. It is a nice system, though it does have one problem that annoys me. This problem being the internal watch battery that lasts for awhile then dies and all saved games then disappear off the system. If it weren't for this, it would be great.

The games I own as follows and will be glad to go into detail on any of them if you like =)

Bug

Croc

NBA Jam TE

Nights

Sim City 2000

Sonic 3D Blast

Sonic Jam

Ten Pin Alley

I got the two sports game with the system, otherwise I wouldn't have them, since I'm not a sports gamer. Overall, I have been pleased with the system, just lack of good games, since I dont like every game I got with it, but others I enjoy alot.

I second Dragon Force. Also, because it's mainly 2D and has therefore aged much better than the rest of the lot.

Other games you should consider:

Shining Force III

Shining the Holy Ark (if you like dungeon crawlers)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei (looks and plays better than it's predecessor)

Sonic R (oh, why not? It also looks very nice!)

Virtua Cop is actually awesome, but you'll need a light gun AND an old CRT television to make it work properly.

Daytona USA is fun, but has not much to offer as a single player game.

Megaman 8 and X4 are fine, but nothing you'll need the Saturn for.

Sega Rally is also fun, but you might be put off by the graphics.

Aaand, Burning Rangers... It looks great, wonderful presentation, fun idea, but at a horrible frame rate. I found myself getting headaches whenever I played the game and I'm usually not very affected by stuff like that.

Edited by Kat

The Saturn is the only Sega console that I do not own (well that and the SG-1000) even though I wanted one back in the day so I can't really go too much in detail but I have managed to play a couple of games plus some PC ports that Sega did in the late 90s or the original arcade versions so I can say a few things. Oh and I have played NiGHTS but that's the PS3 version that is based off the Chinese developed remake on the PS2.

From my experience the best version of Daytona USA on the console is Daytona USA: Circuit Edition (the Japanese version of Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition) due to that not only it had the improvements of Daytona CCE as in a better frame rate and less pop up but also has the original arcade music and has fixed the handling to become less Sega Rally like due to that the EU/US versions were rushed. I have played this version and enjoyed it but some people might prefer the original on the console. The only downside was that Race to the Bass song was cut due to disc space. It was also ported to the PC with an extra track as Daytona USA Deluxe.

Sega Rally Championship from what I remember was a good arcade port (not as nice looking and is about 30fps) and the main difference between the original arcade version and the home versions were the arranged sound track plus the more familar Game Over Yeah was used [also used in the sequel, the original arcade version was different sounding].

I found Sega Touring Car Championship very hard and funny to control. Virtua Cop 2 was okay but I prefer the original. I liked Sonic R and Sonic 3D was okay [even though I didn't get to play the Special Stages]. Sonic Jam is a good compliation (and one of the best Sonic compliations that's out there, there might be less games but there are more extras and even a couple of bug fixes that later compliations didn't get) even though nowadays, it is worth it just to have an early 3D Sonic running around. Sega Ages has 3 excellent arcade games ported really well, OutRun has an extra mode that makes it run on 60fps making look a bit strange due to that the original arcade machine can only run at 30fps.

Speaking of compliations, I have yet to actually try this but there's also Sega Ages: Memorial Collection 2 that includes some of Sega's earliest arcade games including the only way of playing the arcade version of the original Monaco GP since it used discrete circuitry meaning that it can't be emulated only simulated. There are plenty of good arcade ports on the Saturn but most [that aren't Model 2/STV based] were Japan only. I can think of some Taito games like Chase H.Q./Special Criminal Investigation, Night Striker, Elevator Action Returns [includes the original too], a couple of Sega arcade games like Power Drift, Capcom and SNK fighting games [providing you have the RAM cart], and shoot em ups as well including DoDonPachi, Cotton Boomerang, Sengoku Blade, Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 [a legal way of playing Thunder Force AC].

Oh and if you have a spare £200-300, you can get Panzer Dragoon Saga that is considered one of the best games by many people on the system however I have yet to experience that [due to the high price and lack of Saturn] and [even though it is much cheaper] Shinobi X that is worth it for the Richard Jacques soundtrack even though the game is okay.

Price is often what holds me back from getting more of these games on the saturn that are suggested. Many of the good games go for quite a bit. Burning Rangers, Shinning Rangers, Bomberman saturn, and other games are all $50+ and some even close to double that. The saturn does have some good games for it, but most of them are really expensive. There are some that are cheaper and easier to get, but a good number of the really must have games are definately on the expensive side.