Awoo.

Option to disable avatars?

JezMM

Was discussing this in status updates to no avail so asking here.  I'm wondering if at this point I'm becoming infamous for how fussy I am about spoilers but I've had my first one for Lost World via an avatar and I was wondering if the ability to turn them off which was seemingly removed in the IP Board overhaul is something that can be re-enabled by the higher-ups?

Or if anyone has an alternate solution, like, some sort of browser plugin that would block all images on particular sites unless hovered over, I dunno.

I can't expect people to conform to my fussiness though so just thought I should ask before I do the unthinkable and leave the boards until the game is out, which I'd like to do only as a last resort coz... I kinda love it here and stuff.  8C

If there isn't an option to disable avatars in IP Board, you could get by with Ad Blocker. You can single out a particular user's avatar image (or if you change the URL a bit, every users avatar) and hide them. It's a bit of extra effort, but I've done that for several websites and it's worked fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Using a user style browser plugin/extension such as Stylish:

@-moz-document url-prefix("http://board.sonicstadium.org/") {
  .ipsUserPhoto {
    height: 0px !important;
    width: 0px !important;
    padding-left: 32px !important;
    padding-top: 32px !important;
  }
  .ipsUserPhoto:hover {
    height: inherit !important;
    width: inherit !important;
    padding-left: inherit !important;
    padding-top: inherit !important;
  }
}

stylish.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude that worked perfectly thanks so so much!

If the staff are happy to consider this solved then feel free to lock.

Jez's topic is locked so I've had to make a new one. Thanks to whichever mod merged these topics!

In light of today's news regarding SLW, I want to disable avatars. The method bmn posted doesn't work for me on Chrome, but I found another script for Stylish that does... almost. The problem is that is only disables avatars in topics, but those on the forum index. Could anyone help me out with this, please?

EDIT: Okay, it actually appears that on the index some avatars aren't showing, but most are.

z2cr.png

Edited by Blue Blood

• 1 month later...

With lots of new pokemon news I want to avoid I figured I'd look here, but the Stylish script doesn't seem to work for me. I've pasted it as-is and cleared the cache and got nothing. I'm using Chrome if it makes a difference.

There is another way of blocking avatars without using Stylish or Ad Blockers. If you have the No Script addon on Firefox that blocks harmful scripts on websites for extra protection, the default option has no avatars on the Index page, Status Updates and the topics itself but the avatars are still there for the Today's Birthdays and Profile sections. The only negative is if you want to read any spoilers or the Status Updates, you would have to temporarily allow the script but then that triggers the avatars.

Oops, sorry if the topic has already been answered but just in case if you want an alternative.

Edited by Yawackhary

The suggestion is nice but I'd personally prefer a way to deal with this in Chrome. I'd imagine it's possible, I can't see why not. But I mean if worse comes to worst I'll just use Firefox for a month.

In Chrome Stylish:

.ipsUserPhoto {    height: 0px !important;    width: 0px !important;    padding-left: 32px !important;    padding-top: 32px !important;  }  .ipsUserPhoto:hover {    height: inherit !important;    width: inherit !important;    padding-left: inherit !important;    padding-top: inherit !important;  } .ipsUserPhoto_mini:hover {    height: 32px !important;    width: 32px !important;    padding-left: inherit !important;    padding-top: inherit !important;  }

Have it apply to pages on the domain board.sonicstadium.org

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 years later...

bump

Anyone know how to work this in 2018, for Chrome specifically? The methods in this thread are close to five years old, and I don't have enough of a grasp on the code (read: virtually none) to make it work for myself. Using the Stylish script bmn has posted above just makes mess of the layout now, rather than hiding things. I'd also really like to hide the banners at the top of profile pages too, if possible.

EDIT: I found a suitable alternative in the Stylebot extension, if anyone's interested. Right click the css element you want to edit > style element > hide. Simple.