Awoo.

Crude Oil-Carrying Freight Train Explodes, Levels Canadian Town Center

Patticus

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a topic created about this yet, considering the magnitude and location of the explosion, and the tragic loss of life it's known to have caused:

The center of a Quebec town has been wiped out, according to the mayor, after a freight train carrying crude oil derailed and exploded in a fireball at 1am on Saturday.

Parts of the town were evacuated as fireballs shot several metres in the air, flames spread to nearby homes and thick acrid smoke filled the air. 
Emergency workers helped about 1,000 residents escape Lac-Megantic, which is close to the Maine border and about 250km from Montreal.

-About 30 buildings destroyed in Lac Megantic

-Force of blaze preventing rescue workers from checking for casualties

-Oil from train cars is spilling into nearby river

Source.

article-2357352-1AB075DC000005DC-263_634

article-2357352-1AB07244000005DC-199_634

article-2357352-1AB07756000005DC-606_634

FccoUv9.jpg

0Ckxyyd.jpg

NYG4HAX.jpg

Qw4oZUl.jpg

NQABeKm.jpg

The size of that fireball, holy crap! As the explosion hit in the center of town, which is apparently populated with some 6,000 or so people, it's expected that there will be several dozen deaths at least. I've heard in the region of 60, but it's hard to say right now. I hope the number is revised down. The American firefighters who rushed across the border to assist in dealing with the huge fire are awesome too, by the way; going above and beyond the call of duty to help out their neighbors to the north was a great act of... um... neighborliness? Altruism? Unselfishness? One or some of those things.

The second picture taken kind of scares me even though it was probably a coincidence. 

Also, I really hope there were little casualties in this I never knew one train crash could cause so much destruction.

Shit that's a province away from me.............I hope the residents stay safe. 

Good god, that's horrible. It's terrifying that something like that can happen... All I can offer is my sympathy and hope for those affected.

God, I live in Montreal... this is terrifying.

Canada has just been slammed with one thing after another. Where I am, Alberta, was hit with incredibly destructive floods just recently that caused looooads of damage across multiple cities, including Calgary which is closest to me. Then this happens in Quebec...

Sucks :/. I hope they get it all under control soon there because that is awful. Some of those photos are downright scary.

I've been reading about this, but didn't see any photos until now and they're quite something. I wish the best to the folks there and that this can all get sorted out fast. I'm sure we'll have an accurate death toll in the next day :(

One thing that annoys me is I've already seen conspiracy theories about this :/

Aye yi yi. My prayers are out to these poor people.

Just... wow. Holy crap.

Some of those pictures look downright post-apocalyptic, particularly that second-to-last one. It's a very scary realization.

the second pic is definitely the creepiest. Especially being religious and all. My prayers go out to these people. What a tragic loss... I'm appalled that already people are trying to make a joke out of this, or come up with a conspiracy or some crap.

Holy.....those are some really terrifying shots. My prayers out to all of those poor people.

Wow.... that's just horrible :(

I mean, just how can one train crash can cause so much destruction?  Those picture imply that something much worse than a train crash caused this. I just wish the best for the poor people who got effected by this and that the location to recover soon. 

Speaking of the pictures, the first three are really unnerving (especially the second one, that looks something out of a horror film blink.png)

It looks like a miniature nuclear weapon went off there...

Goodness gracious, this is a disaster. I wonder what went wrong?

My condolences to all involved; I have to commend the firefighters who rushed across the border despite it not being part of their job. It's a refreshing change from the stories of private firefighting agencies letting homes burn for not paying their bills.

Things like this put me more in favor of alternative energy. Barring nuclear it's not as explosive.

One thing that annoys me is I've already seen conspiracy theories about this :/

When is there not Conspiracy Theories when something tragic happens. Sounds like a unfortunate and tragic accident.

Yeah big thumbs up to those American fire-fighters who helped out. smile.png

Things like this put me more in favor of alternative energy. Barring nuclear it's not as explosive.

No but it can make places uninhabitable and other horrific consequences like birth defects and worst forms of cancer etc. If there is a meltdown. It can be just as catastrophic if not more so.  

That explosion looks epic.

Not a lot of hope for the victims, though, I think a bigger problem will be the after effects.

At least it happened so early in the morning which will have helped to reduce casualties. If this had happened in the middle of the afternoon it could have been much worse.

I hope the death count is low.....

That picture of Jesus....wow....one of the most astonishing pieces of photo journalism I've seen all year.

No but it can make places uninhabitable and other horrific consequences like birth defects and worst forms of cancer etc. If there is a meltdown. It can be just as catastrophic if not more so.

Hence the "barring." I was stating alternative energies -besides- nuclear don't have such a massive potential for destruction. tongue.png

At least it happened so early in the morning which will have helped to reduce casualties. If this had happened in the middle of the afternoon it could have been much worse.

I hope the death count is low.....

A fair point. Overall this gives merit to keeping freight trains out of central districts, I think. Never mind the traffic issues those things cause, there's less chance of catastrophic loss if an accident like this happens.

That picture of Jesus....wow....one of the most astonishing pieces of photo journalism I've seen all year.

This is a tragedy, but I have to agree with you. That is actually a morbidly beautiful picture.

Holy hell. Those are some unsettling photos. I hope there aren't more casualties.

My thoughts exactly. Aside from the whole climate change 'debate' (which kinda isn't so much a debate anymore than it is a bunch of diehard skeptics desperately trying to push back against overwhelming irrefutable evidence built up over decades), there are serious long-term benefits to phasing out fossil fuels in favor of alternate, renewable energy sources, the biggest and most important one being "what happens when we eventually run out of fossil fuels"? We're already seeing oil supplies worldwide start to gradually dry up, remember the times when petrol prices were less than a dollar per liter?

Actually, I'm kinda curious now as to how much crude oil that train was carrying, and how much in petrol it would equate to. Chances are it would probably be in the realm of at least thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands.

Hence the "barring." I was stating alternative energies -besides- nuclear don't have such a massive potential for destruction. tongue.png

Tell that to the Ukrainians. sleep.png  

Actually, I'm kinda curious now as to how much crude oil that train was carrying, and how much in petrol it would equate to. Chances are it would probably be in the realm of at least thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands.

No one ships an amount only worth thousands on a train, a truck will easily hold that. A barrel of crude is 44 liters, a tanker truck can hold 200 barrels. At the current price of 103$/barrel a single truck can carry just over 20000$ of crude oil.

Most trains can haul about 100 oil cars so it's a nice figure to work with. The average oil car can hold 740 barrels of crude oil. That's about 74000 barrels of oil per train or 7,622,000$. Some trains hold more.

The math won't be perfect and I don't know exactly how much the train was holding, but those are the type of numbers we're dealing with. Also the train will hold less if it's hauling light cars which are of a different construction. I don't know what type it had or how many, I'm just using averages.

So yah, it's quite a bit.

Edited by SkyLlama
  • Thumbs Up 1

Those pictures were quite unsettling. Just how big that explosion was. Seeing this, I'm never joking about nothing happening in Canada again.

there are serious long-term benefits to phasing out fossil fuels in favor of alternate, renewable energy sources, the biggest and most important one being "what happens when we eventually run out of fossil fuels"?

Presumably another one is that there will be less train cars exploding in the middle of Canadian towns, to try to make it somewhat relevant to the topic.