Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I still don't get why people are bothered by this inclusion. It's a recent best seller, has a iconic level piece, and generally liked. Yeah I found the games boring and lacking, but who the hell cares? That was THOSE games. This stage really isn't going to be the essence o those games. Its not going to bring all the shit you hate into smash bros. why? Cause this is a stage. That all it is. A stage that seems to have iconic Mario pieces in it. It looks like a Mario level in 3D. The only issue I see people having is that it might be in name only from NSMB or 3D land.

But we're the ones who are "so angry" and "causing a ruckus".

Speak for yourself.

We're not angry, you guys really need to stop making stuff up to make us look bad for disliking a bland, rehashed, sad excuse for a Mario game series.

What, if anything, does that even have to do with representing it in Smash 4? Once again, this is just a bunch of shapes on a playing field. It's not like it has any way to carry any negative stigma with it reliably. And this is coming from somebody who agrees that NSMB is in its own right a stagnant series.

See also: Crisis City, Sonic Generations.

Edited by Blacklightning

Stop saying it's a game "they didn't like". NSMB is a game series that is objectively mediocre, objectively does not innovate in any way (other than multiplayer, and perhaps the first one since it wasn't a cash-cow level pack thing back then), and is OBJECTIVELY stagnant.

Whether it's fun or not, it does nothing good for the series other than multiplayer. Just because you like it or don't like it doesn't make it a great game.

That's nice. I don't really give two shits what's objective or not, apparently you do for some reason. I still fail to see why it getting any sort of representation is inherently wrong beyond the fact that you're complaining about its "quality" when that has fuck all to do with why it made it in.

• Thumbs Up 5

So when I saw the screenshot of NSMB/3D/Cancer level, the first thing that actually went through my mind was Super Mario Bros 3. 

Just pretend its Mario 3's Grass Land or something.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not concerned about the SM3DL stage being in the game. But I am meh about how the only two set areas we've seen of the stage are the traditional "World 1-1" and "platforms above water" levels.

Here's hoping it's a bonafide SM3DL touring stage, and we get transitions into the Airships, Ghost Houses, and Bowser Castles areas as well.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

Doesn't this sort of just go back to "I don't like the game so other people shouldn't"?

I suppose you're right.

But in the end a critic is just an opinion. So are all these user scores. You can't really use an opinion as an objective source. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Edit: Whatever. This is why I hate discussing NSMB, because people will defend it to the bloody grave, and then act like you're unreasonable for pointing out its flaws, by virtue of the fact that it's not the worst game in the universe, and because it's a Mario game and playable which makes it exempt from criticism.

"Ohh but it's fun so what does it matter?"

Bad design philosophy and lack of effort are never excusable, even in *gasp* Mario games, because if these games aren't criticized, they will keep being made that way with no improvements. It's plainly an observable fact that the series is lazy, but apparently even that is "subjective".

And since people can't have an honest debate, and instead resort to essentially saying "umad?" "hahahaha no" and "just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad" (which one could say about Sonic '06, and is basically a way of saying "well I like it, so it's good"), and respond to any disagreement with "Whoaaaaa why do you care so much", I am done. Hopefully when I return to the discussion it's a little more mature.

P.S., Trying to ridicule people, subtly or otherwise, who disagree with you is not cool. This isn't the GameFAQs forums. I always thought this was a friendly community but sometimes this place gets out of hand.

Edited by Sarah Jane Smith

As long as Bowsers castle and Comet Observatory get in in either version, I could give two fucks about this stage.

Anyway so anyone want to speculate the Nintendogs stage? I wonder if any cats will be there. Or if any items for the digs that can also be stage hazards or gimmicks will be thrown.

I am. You're the one dropping F-bombs left and right, and getting noticeably pissed over an internet discussion, while saying the people on this side of the debate are the ones who are angry.

"Noticably"? I use f-bombs for emphasis. If I was actually angry, believe me, you would know it.

Okay then. I hope we get some stages from the Virtual Boy, maybe something from DK Jr. Math, or even Hotel Mario, since quality should not be an issue in stage selection. They're part of Nintendo's history, after all.

If they're interesting stages, and/or there's demand for it, why not?

I don't care if you like the game. I like the game. But its design philosophy is disgusting, and should not be encouraged.

Where on earth is this even coming from? It's not like NSMB has permanently poisoned something as simple as a green grass trope so bad that they should be forbidden from using it in a Smash game, especially when it's the kind of trope that's gotten a hell of a lot of exposure all throughout the series, nevermind NSMB.

I don't care if you like the game. I like the game. But its design philosophy is disgusting, and should not be encouraged.

I dunno, Smash Bros. does sometimes have effects on franchises, but I don't think this stage being in the game or not will affect where the people who work on Mario games will take the series next.

(EDITTED this because I wasn't fond of the original. :/)

Edited by ElementofChaos

As long as Bowsers castle and Comet Observatory get in in either version, I could give two fucks about this stage.

Anyway so anyone want to speculate the Nintendogs stage? I wonder if any cats will be there. Or if any items for the digs that can also be stage hazards or gimmicks will be thrown.

The dog will probably interact with the players/fighters during some point in the match. By doing what it did in brawl to distract the player or by attacking/stunning the fighter.

How exactly is anyone making a mountain out of a molehill?

Some Mario games are good but kind of samey. This is, apparently, "disgusting" and worth dragging out this ridiculous discussion.

At least 06 tried something different and put a lot of effort into the game

Pffhaha

I am. You're the one dropping F-bombs left and right, and getting noticeably pissed over an internet discussion, while saying the people on this side of the debate are the ones who are angry.

Stop saying it's a game "they didn't like". NSMB is a game series that is objectively mediocre, objectively does not innovate in any way (other than multiplayer, and perhaps the first one since it wasn't a cash-cow level pack thing back then), and is OBJECTIVELY stagnant.

Soundin' pretty mad, yo.

Okay then. I hope we get some stages from the Virtual Boy, maybe something from DK Jr. Math, or even Hotel Mario, since quality should not be an issue in stage selection. They're part of Nintendo's history, after all.

Can't say I'd be particularly bothered with any of these, though choosing such irrelevant games would be a bit odd.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, and colour me shocked if the Comet Observatory doesn't make it in the Wii U version. It's as obvious as Mario himself appearing, really.

• Thumbs Up 3

The dog will probably interact with the players/fighters during some point in the match. By doing what it did in brawl to distract the player or by attacking/stunning the fighter.

I would assume some of the toys will be thrown to the dogs as well. They can then be used as gimmicks.

How exactly is anyone making a mountain out of a molehill? No one said Smash 4 is now shit. No one said they aren't buying Smash 4 because of this. I never said it was tantamount to 06. At least 06 tried something different and put a lot of effort into the game, even if it turned out terribly.

On the internet, incorrect use the word "objective" is basically a green light for everything you're about to say to be thoroughly dissected.  Just a warning for the future.

Also, praising 06 for "trying something different" is almost like saying Transformers Kiss Players is a valid interpretation of the franchise.  I doubt anyone is scrubbing their brains with brillo after playing a New Super Mario Bros. game.

Yeah, I'm a bit peeved as well that Mario hasn't thoroughly evolved as a franchise since Galaxy, but that's hardly a crime.  In an age where the only way to revitalize a stagnating franchise seems to be rebooting it with extra angsty character design and throwing more dirt on everything, Nintendo's really one of the last companies I'd call child protective services on if their IPs were kids.

No arguments here.  Though I think Philips may have the rights to Hotel Mario.

But in the end a critic is just an opinion. So are all these user scores. You can't really use an opinion as an objective source. 

And this is the same gaming public that continually eats up every new COD game. 

Again, not an end-all-be-all objective source. 

1mc4.jpg

q2h3.jpg

dhc1.jpg

ct0x.jpg

ajai.jpg

twkd.jpg

Well at least the critics hated the Vita versi-

7uka.jpg

okie dokie then

Well I think I've made my point. I'll just go over in the corner and play Mario again.

• Thumbs Up 2

If anything, I still want to see a fucking Mario Party level. Oh god yes. That would be a gimmick stage done right if you ask me.(I still would want Comet Observatory more though.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Coolio.

Dude, its a stage. Its only meaning is to serve as a playground for players to battle on. Where the fuck are you even getting this idea that that means its design is "being encouraged" is beyond me when this isn't even a NSMB game to begin with.

I guess 06's level design and ideas were being encouraged since it was included in Generations. *We get Lost world* Guess not.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still want to see Waluigi as a Character.He would be the living embodiment of the spinoffs. He could use dice bombs, tennis rackets, golf clubs, a wide assortment of balls, different items from mario kart, and can swim in midair.

If anything, I still want to see a fucking Mario Party level. Oh god yes. That would be a gimmick stage done right if you ask me.(I still would want Comet Observatory more though.)

Could the stage occasionally turn into a minigame area where the winner gets a prize(similar to warioware but probably with longer minigames)

That shit could be really fuckin' interesting... I dunno how they could really incorporate board game shenanigans into Smash, but it could be fuckin' fun if they do it right. And in Sakurai I trust.

• Thumbs Up 1

We already got Virtual Boy representation though

Virtual_Tiny_Wario.png

That stock art of Small Wario is a Sticker in Brawl. Said art is from Virtual Boy Wario Land. tongue.png

That harrowing thought when you realize Virtual Boy Wario Land got more recognition than any other Wario Land in Brawl.

Well there was the WarioWare stage in Brawl, so I think they could pull off Mario Party somehow?? I haven't played any of the Party games though, so I have no clue what that would involve ... other than friendships being ruined. :v

A Virtual Boy level wouldn't actually surprise me, especially since this is on Nintendo's first attempt at a 3D platform since.  That, and Nintendo seems to like throwing allusions to it here and there.  Hell, it was just in Animal Crossing New Leaf and Game & Wario.

Edited by Stingray 64
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mario_Party_9_1.jpg

Mario_Party_9_Toad_Road_Board_zpsa81d9dc

2157925-dk_s_jungle_ruins.png

Just imagine the potential from this! I mean come on, Fighting on boards like these would be amazing!

• Thumbs Up 1