Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I dunno. Is there anything special you can do with an F-Zero racer's moveset or an Animal Crossing Villager's?

...maybe he was just, y'know, curious?

I'm glad that it looks like Shulk's original English VA is coming back. It seemed pretty likely that Shulk would make it in, but I was worried they'd just find some 'murrican to voice him and lose one of Xenoblade's fun quirks.

I'm more interested in what stage(s) we might get out of this than I am in Shulk's moveset, though. There are a lot of cool-looking places in that game. Will they go for something "iconic" like Bionis' Leg, or more story-important like Sword Valley, or...?

I dunno. Is there anything special you can do with an F-Zero racer's moveset or an Animal Crossing Villager's?

It was a genuine question. Like I said in the sentence right before it, I've never played Xenoblade.

smashukfs5.png

Ohhhh my god.

This is going to be a long weekend. .___.

Well, son of a gun! Right on the day of my birthday!

Thanks for the gift Sakurai! tongue.png  

But anyways, I'm really hyped. Indeed, this will be a long weekend...

• Thumbs Up 1

In the press dump posted on the last page, you can see windy hill's final destination version.

Yea that was there since E3 along with some others like palutena temple and Mario galaxy.

Still awesome though. I'll be on that stage a lot because of the music it will have.

Shulk, eh? I'd definitely be happy with that.

As for what the Monado can do, well... If I remember rightly, it can speed up a character for a brief time, it can create barriers... Hmm. And of course, it has a couple of skills that more directly translate into combat situations- Monado Buster- an attack similar to the Skyward Strike, and Monado Cyclone- an attack that causes minor damage to everything in a surprisingly wide range.

It has other functions too, but I can't quite remember what those were.

Shulk seems like he could be cool, but Xenoblade Chronicles had a really limited release in North America, and it's super expensive right now, so I never got the chance to play it. He's gonna be the one character in this game I don't really know about. :[

If he's confirmed Monday, that leaves 2 unannounced newcomers from the Gematsu leak. I feel like I'm in a minority for wanting Chrom, although it's in-part because his voice actor is Matt Mercer- voice of Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil, and Alvin from Tales of Xillia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Chrom is actually really popular (just look at Tumblr or Miiverse), it's just hard to tell because every member of the outspoken "Chrom is boring" minority is a member of SSMB :v (sorry bout that) (I'd just prefer another FE character to another blue haired male lord)

Also

Shulk seems like he could be cool, but Xenoblade Chronicles had a really limited release in North America, and it's super expensive right now, so I never got the chance to play it. He's gonna be the one character in this game I don't really know about. :[

Yeah this is a genuine problem. If I know Smash Bros., it's gonna give more obscure series' a real spotlight for perhaps the first time, a lot of people will become interested in characters and series' they didn't know about before. Mother and Fire Emblem owe pretty much all their modern popularity to Smash Bros..

I seriously think Nintendo need to consider options to re-release Xenoblade on the Wii U in the near future, whether digitally (please), or as a game bundled with Xenoblade X (please) or something like that. Xenoblade is an amazing game that deserves to be played, it would really suck if it became the modern EarthBound in that it's so frickin hard to track down copies of it despite that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wonder if the opposite of what happened with Little Mac's announcement will happen. Americans get pissed at Shulk's inclusion, but Japanese players are all gushing over it. :P

Hoping for something totally unexpected so we can put this Gematsu leak behind us

Regardless of whether or not something unexpected happens I don't think it would be that easy to write of the leak. Seriously, if it's wrong it is preposterously lucky. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, most characters were pretty easy/typical guesses. Mega Man was the most wanted 3rd Party. Namco was working on it, so Pac-Man was likely. Villager is slightly out there, but there have been calls for Tom Nook for years, so the main character of the series getting in wasn't really an out there prediction. Greninja was simply predicted as "Pokémon from XY", which we were obviously getting. Little Mac was another highly predicted character. Mii, too.

The most out there prediction the guy had was Wii Fit Trainer. I don't remember any other confirmed characters from his list.

If Shulk is really confirmed, though, then I might sway and I believe the rumour.

By the way I looked up that Adam Howden guy and he also did voices in Dragon Age and Fable, bot which have entries coming up. So he might not necessarily be talking about Smash Bros.

Also, not sure if this is true, but I saw someone on NeoGaf say that the Xenoblade writer often retweets these things or something.

Shulk, eh? I'd definitely be happy with that.

As for what the Monado can do, well... If I remember rightly, it can speed up a character for a brief time, it can create barriers... Hmm. And of course, it has a couple of skills that more directly translate into combat situations- Monado Buster- an attack similar to the Skyward Strike, and Monado Cyclone- an attack that causes minor damage to everything in a surprisingly wide range.

It has other functions too, but I can't quite remember what those were.

Thanks. That doesn't sound bad. Could be pretty fun.

I'd rather have Isaac with Psynergy, Djinn and sword attacks, though :C

I don't remember any other confirmed characters from his list.

Palutena is confirmed but she was another obvious one.

The main thing that's making people think "ok yeah the Gematsu leak is true" is that there are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run. There are numerous reasons that this is important:

• So far outside of Namco enemies there are no Smash Run enemies that don't have a player rep associated with them
  • Rhythm Heaven is an obscure series, if Nintendo just wanted non-repped series enemies for Smash Run there would be tons of series' they'd look to before Rhythm Heaven, especially since:
  • Rhythm Heaven doesn't have enemies, the only reason they'd put "enemies" from Rhythm Heaven into Smash Run is if they felt they had to.
  • That and "Chorus Men" is extremely specific and is something that almost no one would ever "guess". Wii Fit Trainer, maybe lucky since Wii Fit was so hugely successful, but a Rhythm Heaven character in a fighting game? That music series that doesn't even really have notable "characters" in a traditional sense to begin with? I don't think anyone would have called that.

Of course there's still a chance the Gematsu leak is just extremely lucky, but I am currently like 95% invested into it because it seems like Chorus Men are all but confirmed thanks to Smash Run. Shulk would be another factor to believing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chrom is actually really popular (just look at Tumblr or Miiverse), it's just hard to tell because every member of the outspoken "Chrom is boring" minority is a member of SSMB :v (sorry bout that) 

There's nothing to apologize for.

But I dunno- Smashboards also gives me the impression that a lot of Smash-enthusiasts don't want him. I feel like every other FE rep I've seen suggested is some sort of counterpick to him because they'd find him that disappointing. Nobody was suggesting Anna or Robin before Chrom was looking possible. 

And people on Miiverse clamoring for him don't count, because they're not actually people.

tumblr_n8grm4PKaK1swll5zo1_500.jpg

I seriously think Nintendo need to consider options to re-release Xenoblade on the Wii U in the near future, whether digitally (please), or as a game bundled with Xenoblade X (please) or something like that. Xenoblade is an amazing game that deserves to be played, it would really suck if it became the modern EarthBound in that it's so frickin hard to track down copies of it despite that.

I agree with this, but I really don't see it happening. I think most consumers would expect a really high quality HD re-release, which would be expensive for a game that wasn't originally going to come to NA. 

At least they released ERFbound on the Wii U VC. 

Honestly, most characters were pretty easy/typical guesses. Mega Man was the most wanted 3rd Party. Namco was working on it, so Pac-Man was likely. Villager is slightly out there, but there have been calls for Tom Nook for years, so the main character of the series getting wasn't really an out there prediction. Greninja was simply predicted as "Pokémon from XY", which we were obviously getting. Little Mac was another highly predicted characters. Mii, too. The most out there prediction the guy had was Wii Fit Trainer. I don't remember any other confirmed characters from his list.

It's easy to say this in hindsight.

Mega Man was wanted, but he didn't seem likely to most people. Little Mac could have easily been an assist trophy again. Palutena could've stayed part of Pit's Final Smash. The Animal Crossing player character was denounced as being someone who would work before Brawl came out. And almost nobody guessed the Wii Fit Trainer- and why would they?

I'm not saying most of these characters were really far out choices, but the thing that makes the leak look really strong is the fact that this guy has gotten basically all of them and hasn't been disproved yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, most characters were pretty easy/typical guesses. Mega Man was the most wanted 3rd Party. Namco was working on it, so Pac-Man was likely. Villager is slightly out there, but there have been calls for Tom Nook for years, so the main character of the series getting wasn't really an out there prediction. Greninja was simply predicted as "Pokémon from XY", which we were obviously getting. Little Mac was another highly predicted characters. Mii, too. The most out there prediction the guy had was Wii Fit Trainer. I don't remember any other confirmed characters from his list.

Mega Man was a popular fan wish, but I don't know of a lot of people who thought he would be in, especially with the climate around the franchise right now. Pac-Man was a bit more likely but he wasn't a lock. The Villager isn't Tom Nook and Sakurai had used the Villager as an example of a character that wouldn't work pre-Smash 4. Greninja is a bit hard to give him credit for but there are a number of reasons for him to not know the name. Mac isn't a particularly hard choice but I'll get to that.

Now Wii Fit Trainer is an incredibly rare choice, not to mention he called her by that particular name when the character, to my knowledge didn't have one before Smash. 

He got Palutena, which isn't a hard choice either but really. Besides Rosalina, who appeared between the first and second leak, the guy has nailed every newcomer so far and hasn't called one that has been deconfirmed yet. Getting 3 or four of these guys is one thing, but getting them all including the Wii Fit Trainer makes it really difficult to rationalize this as being "easy" or "lucky guesses." 

• Thumbs Up 1

Palutena is confirmed but she was another obvious one.

The main thing that's making people think "ok yeah the Gematsu leak is true" is that there are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run. There are numerous reasons that this is important:

• So far outside of Namco enemies there are no Smash Run enemies that don't have a player rep associated with them
  • Rhythm Heaven is an obscure series, if Nintendo just wanted non-repped series enemies for Smash Run there would be tons of series' they'd look to before Rhythm Heaven, especially since:
  • Rhythm Heaven doesn't have enemies, the only reason they'd put "enemies" from Rhythm Heaven into Smash Run is if they felt they had to.
  • That and "Chorus Men" is extremely specific and is something that almost no one would ever "guess". Wii Fit Trainer, maybe lucky since Wii Fit was so hugely successful, but a Rhythm Heaven character in a fighting game? That music series that doesn't even really have notable "characters" in a traditional sense to begin with? I don't think anyone would have called that.

Of course there's still a chance the Gematsu leak is just extremely lucky, but I am currently like 95% invested into it because it seems like Chorus Men are all but confirmed thanks to Smash Run. Shulk would be another factor to believing it.

But isn't that just the type of series to only represent in Smash Run? Like, they couldn't think up anything as a playable character, but still wanted to show the series somehow.

By the way, who is the enemy again? I recall Xenoblade having that Leeker looking monster, but I'm blanking on what Rhythm Heaven had.

Isn't that part of the charm of Smash Bros sometimes though?  I remember when I first played Melee and I didn't know most of the characters (granted I was 7 or 8 when I first played Melee).  Who are Captain Falcon and Marth and Ness?  'Who cares they're fun to play' is basically what I thought back then.  I remember loving Roy back in the day and I thought he was super cool.  I didn't even touch his game until about 8 years later.  It's cool just to discover new characters and the sort of stuff they can do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't that part of the charm of Smash Bros sometimes though?  I remember when I first played Melee and I didn't know most of the characters (granted I was 7 or 8 when I first played Melee).  Who are Captain Falcon and Marth and Ness?  'Who cares they're fun to play' is basically what I thought back then.  I remember loving Roy back in the day and I thought he was super cool.  I didn't even touch his game until about 8 years later.  It's cool just to discover new characters and the sort of stuff they can do.

That's true. It's pretty nice. I think we had a thread about that a few years ago.

Haha. As a kid I thought Captain Falcon was Samus' enemy or rival since they were both bounty hunters and he had darker colors xD

• Thumbs Up 1

The difference is that I'm older now, and also I've been aware of who Shulk is for a few years. I'm just not able to play his game without shoving out some serious dollah bills because it's way too goddamn expensive. 

I fail to find anything charming in that. :[

But isn't that just the type of series to only represent in Smash Run? Like, they couldn't think up anything as a playable character, but still wanted to show the series somehow.

By the way, who is the enemy again? I recall Xenoblade having that Leeker looking monster, but I'm blanking on what Rhythm Heaven had.

That's a fair argument, but like I said I think if they were going to take enemies from an unrepresented series they'd take one from a series that actually has enemies. Why would they go through the effort of including a fightable enemy with AI and everything despite it being from a series that doesn't even have enemies instead of just making an Assist Trophy? Like I said, it would probably only be in Smash Run if it had to be, otherwise there are far better choices for unrepped series' with enemies. Making a Smash Run enemy is probably more work than making an Assist Trophy.

Rather than think that Rhythm Heaven is just the type of series to only be rep'd in Smash Run, consider that if Rhythm Heaven didn't have a playable rep, an Assist Trophy is just the type of way to rep a series like Rhythm Heaven. Not an enemy of all things.

You just said "they couldn't think up anything as a playable character", why do you say that? Because there are no real main characters in Rhythm Heaven? Using that logic, why use an enemy instead when there are no real enemies in Rhythm Heaven either? If they could scrape the Rhythm Heaven barrel enough to find something to call an enemy in a series where almost everything is happy go lucky, then they of course could think of a playable character.

This is the enemy by the way.

That's a fair argument, but like I said I think if they were going to take enemies from an unrepresented series they'd take one from a series that actually has enemies. Why would they go through the effort of including a fightable enemy with AI and everything despite it being from a series that doesn't even have enemies instead of just making an Assist Trophy? Like I said, it would probably only be in Smash Run if it had to be, otherwise there are far better choices for unrepped series' with enemies. Making a Smash Run enemy is probably more work than making an Assist Trophy.

Rather than think that Rhythm Heaven is just the type of series to only be rep'd in Smash Run, consider that if Rhythm Heaven didn't have a playable rep, an Assist Trophy is just the type of way to rep a series like Rhythm Heaven. Not an enemy of all things.

You just said "they couldn't think up anything as a playable character", why do you say that? Because there are no real main characters in Rhythm Heaven? Using that logic, why use an enemy instead when there are no real enemies in Rhythm Heaven either? If they could scrape the Rhythm Heaven barrel enough to find something to call an enemy in a series where almost everything is happy go lucky, then they of course could think of a playable character.

This is the enemy by the way.

No, no, it was just a hypothetical.

I think making an enemy is easier, though, since they need far less attacks. They just need one or two basic actions, so you can make pretty much anything into one.

I was thinking having something as an Assist Trophy, too, I even had it typed up, but I thought it might not be relevant quite yet. laugh.png But, yeah, I can totally see that happening, too (Assuming of course the rumour isn't true)

As for using other series over RH, I mean, I could see other otherwise unrepresented series getting in like this, too, so I don't really see it as getting in over anything.

Thanks for the answer to my question.

I was 8 when I played Melee as well. I only knew the Pokémon and Mario characters at the time. XDD

Anyway... We didn't get any pics of that Xenoblade monster?