Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Why does it have to be a trade-off for one or the other (speed or control) rather than finding a medium, though? tongue.png I understand where you're coming from though.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know what you mean- it is too sharp. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have made the paths and Sonic's turning circle a bit wider. But I think it'll be fine in practice. This kind of twitchy control when jumping in the 3DS version is more of a problem though. 

bhZSHBl.gif

To be fair I'm pretty sure he's got speed shoes in that part, so he won't always fly around like that.
  • Thumbs Up 8

To be fair I'm pretty sure he's got speed shoes in that part, so he won't always fly around like that.

Dio, I'm trying to hate on Dimps here. Don't go throwing logic around.

Just a few moments before than in the footage (prior to getting the speed shoes) you can see more really wonky behaviour thanks to the double jump.

The 3DS jumping reminds me of Sonic Adventure, only even worse 'cause now you can double jump, too! Oh, Dimps, you rascals.

Adventure jumping was nothing like that. I don't understand this comparison.

Why does it have to be a trade-off for one or the other (speed or control) rather than finding a medium, though? tongue.png I understand where you're coming from though.

xD I thought that was the idea going around, that because an object is going faster, it gets heavier and thus turns are harder. Fair enough that a proper trade-off can be reached.

It's not exactly the same, but the jumping in Adventure was pretty ridiculously floaty in my experience. It's definitely a lot worse here, though.

Adventure jump was super floaty and you had crazy aerial control over it (same with Adventure 2's).  The same is the case here.

Hasn't Sonic been shown in various related media to be able to turn on a dime due to his control over speed? I seem to recall the intro to Sonic CD giving off that same impression. I think what Sega might be exploring is the idea that not only can Sonic run fast, he can move fast too. He's a supersonic hedgehog, is it really that crazy that he could make sharp turns at will?

• Thumbs Up 2

Hasn't Sonic been shown in various related media to be able to turn on a dime due to his control over speed? I seem to recall the intro to Sonic CD giving off that same impression. I think what Sega might be exploring is the idea that not only can Sonic run fast, he can move fast too. He's a supersonic hedgehog, is it really that crazy that he could make sharp turns at will?

...Yes. I mean, it isn't, but having precedent isn't really a point in favour of anything, let alone when it's different media we're talking about. Whether it will work well or not is more important... and it seems like it will.

But the Quick Step, introduced in Unleashed in 2008, is a very similar premise; he moves very sharply to the side whilst maintaining speed.

Adventure jump was super floaty and you had crazy aerial control over it (same with Adventure 2's).  The same is the case here.

Did you look at the gif? He does a perfect circle. He looks like he's floating with no problem at all. Adventure isn't even comparable to that.

Did you look at the gif? He does a perfect circle. He looks like he's floating with no problem at all. Adventure isn't even comparable to that.

Yes, and you can do that in Adventure as well.  How do I know?  I literally have a copy of Adventure DX in front of me right now.  It's more pronounced in that gif because of the double jump. 

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

But the Quick Step, introduced in Unleashed in 2008, is a very similar premise; he moves very sharply to the side whilst maintaining speed.

But not changing your direction. That's not the point anyway.

Did anyone notice the jump dash not being shown in any of the footage? It seems to have been replaced by the double jump, or possibly the players simply avoided using it.

Did anyone notice the jump dash not being shown in any of the footage? It seems to have been replaced by the double jump, or possibly the players simply avoided using it.

Colours hardly had the jump dash either because of the double jump. You had the air boost mapped to jump > boost, which would become the jump dash when the gauge was empty. With no boost and no boost button, it's probably gone form this game completely.

xD I thought that was the idea going around, that because an object is going faster, it gets heavier and thus turns are harder. Fair enough that a proper trade-off can be reached.

Well yeah, I feel like that's the medium. But its not like its a cosmically hard turn or anything like that (like say Unleashed/Generations, something), its just that its a tiny bit less instant than what Lost World is doing. Like maybe a somewhat wider arc. The 3DS version seems to do that slightly better than the Wii U version.

Yes, and you can do that in Adventure as well.  How do I know?  I literally have a copy of Adventure DX in front of me right now 

You can, but not nearly to the same extent as in that shot.

I have to admit I really liked SA1's jump, as floaty as it was. It felt satisfying to use because of how holding the button made it slightly suspend in midair longer, and it made precise movements seem a lot easier. 3DS SLW seems to be really similar in that case.

Also is it me, or in that footage of Windy Hill 1 from the 3DS version, does Sonic kind of rebound higher to reach the platform at around 0:13 - 0:15?

• Thumbs Up 1

Never really been a fan of overly floaty jumps personally.  After playing a game like Mario 3D Land I just feel more appreciative of weighty jumps that offer a little bit of control but not too much.  It means you have to commit more to your jump, think a little more about how you place it and in my opinion it makes platforming a little more satisfying.

Likewise, sadly. But I still want to know how the spindash works. You know, whether or not it builds speed like rolling does. 

Also, complaints about twitchy controls be dammed. This sort of turn wouldn't be possible in past games.

LwU65Ef.gif

He slows down a little bit, but for the most part keeps his speed. Spindashing is faster than that but, like running in Unleashed/Colours/Generations, it nullifies Sonic's ability to turn and just lets him veer from side to side instead.

That just looks really... strange, to me. I'd rather have a Generations-esque spindash that you can activate with the push of a button, that stops you in your tracks. That way you can stop to reposition yourself without wasting time, as the burst of speed you get from releasing the button would be equal to the distance covered if you were just running full speed like in that gif, if not more. 

In that regard, it's similar to the drift mechanic from previous games; skilled players can take a sharp turn smoothly without losing any speed, while less experienced players will have to slow down and take the turn manually. 

or you can just have him break physics thats cool too

That just looks really... strange, to me. I'd rather have a Generations-esque spindash that you can activate with the push of a button, that stops you in your tracks. That way you can stop to reposition yourself without wasting time, as the burst of speed you get from releasing the button would be equal to the distance covered if you were just running full speed like in that gif, if not more. 

In that regard, it's similar to the drift mechanic from previous games; skilled players can take a sharp turn smoothly without losing any speed, while less experienced players will have to slow down and take the turn manually. 

or you can just have him break physics thats cool too

Generations-esque?  I'm sorry you lost me there.  You talking about the Classic Sonic spindash?  If so, are you forgetting that Lost World Sonic has a spindash anyway?  You may just be able to use that.  I'd rather not force myself to come to a complete halt though just to turn a corner.  Completely breaks the flow.

And technically, Sonic's been breaking physics since 1991.  It's never been about constructing a game with realistic physics, but a game with satisfying physics.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Generations-esque?  I'm sorry you lost me there.  You talking about the Classic Sonic spindash?  If so, are you forgetting that Lost World Sonic has a spindash anyway?  You may just be able to use that.  I'd rather not force myself to come to a complete halt though just to turn a corner.  Completely breaks the flow.

And technically, Sonic's been breaking physics since 1991.  It's never been about constructing a game with realistic physics, but a game with satisfying physics.  

Yeah. Hold the button and you stop for a moment to rev up. 

And I would, haha. Making a 90 degree turn on a dime without even slowing down is jarring as fuck. These physics aren't "satisfying" at all. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather not force myself to come to a complete halt though just to turn a corner.  Completely breaks the flow.

I think what the gist of everyone is getting at is that we need a happy medium. at the end of the day, cartoon hedgehog or not, Sonic's a runner, not a light-cycle. Despite his penchant for completely ignoring physics from time to time, having him split angles like that is simply far too jarring for a character on foot. It would be one thing if they gave him an insta-turn parkour themed plant-your-foot-and-drift but there are a handful of times in this video that sonic can literally go 90 degrees with just about no penalty to his speed. That's crazy and it also begets the kind of angular stage structure that the series needs to continue to get away from. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah. Hold the button and you stop for a moment to rev up. 

And I would, haha. Making a 90 degree turn on a dime without even slowing down is jarring as fuck. These physics aren't "satisfying" at all. :/

So what makes Generations better with it's on-a-dime spindash spamming? It literally had no satisfying physics to speak of either.

• Thumbs Up 6

Have people commented on this video? Because if no one did, I intend to. And I'm not happy about it.

Level design? Cool!

Music? Sexy

Fire sheild? <3

Physics? Dimps

dimpsworld.png

• Thumbs Up 6

So what makes Generations better with it's on-a-dime spindash spamming? It literally had no satisfying physics to speak of either.

Well I can only speak personally here, but I found that perfectly satisfying because using it for speed-running showed mastery of the level and controls. You also didn't have to use it if you didn't want to.

I can understand having issues with spamming the spindash, but at least that offered you a choice. I can't exactly choose to have weight that feels satisfying and easy to control, in this case.  You either deal with it or... deal with it.