Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

There's also that weird and totally out of place thing (I don't know what it's called. It's the white slightly transparent thing that looks like an explosion) underneath Sonic. I can honestly see that getting pretty distracting during gameplay, along with the pink and blue stars and the white puffs of cloud that seem to appear whenever Sonic runs.

Except said effects are probably going to be onscreen for less than a second at a time.  It just adds to the cartoony atmosphere; I mean, honestly, if you're going for distracting effects, Generation's blue energy core things flying all over the place were probably more distracting than this.

I just think more importantly the high levels of detail risk frame rate consistency.  Frame rate may not seem like a huge deal as we discuss from screenshots, but once we get our hands on the games it's pretty noticeable and affects the overall aesthetic.  As I've said before, the consoles versions of Unleashed and Generations can't even hold a constant 30 FPS due to the amount of detail amongst other things.  If going for a simpler aesthetic means a smoother gameplay experience then I'm absolutely content.  It would be really wonderful to finally play a new gen HD console Sonic game at 60 FPS.

I do appreciate the artistic work that went into Generations and Unleashed mind, and I still do love how they look when push comes to shove (Generations especially, even though Unleashed made better use of the Hedgehog Engine).

• Thumbs Up 4

I actually like the way the graphics look in SLW. It's very cartoony and suits the tone of the game. I know this sounds weird, but I really like the way they did the grass. It reminds me a lot of Viva Piñata, which also had those individual blades of grass.

Viva_Pinata_Roundtable_Image_2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I'm digging that little effect. It makes it feel more alive, if you get my meaning. Gives it more personality.

Yeah I love the stylized explosions. Never cared at all for the effects of the previous games.

• Thumbs Up 2

While I do prefer the absolutely gorgeous graphics of the previous three games, maybe dialing it back will allow them to focus on gameplay. I imagine they had to put in alot of time creating such vast environments at the cost of such short stages. That was been a problem with Colors and Generations specifically, length. So I guess I'm all for Sega trying this new style out. I hope it results in a better game.

Honestly, that was one problem I had with Gens. The length. Sonic Team knows this and we even got Werehog/Classic Sonic to help it.

If we get multiple acts in each zone here I'll be happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I'm just not seeing the appeal to SLW's visuals. Sure they're more saturated than before, but besides that it seems like a massive down grade. It's like they put Super Monkey Ball and Sonic Dash in a blender and added in some Galaxy so that you can walk under the stage. I know it may appeal to a lot of you, but it just doesn't seem all that charming to me compared to previous entries. I understand that they probably took this route to increase development time on the actual level but did they really have to make it almost none existent? Not even the genesis titles left out the outside area to this degree. *Sigh* That aside though, the game still does look interesting in motion so I guess I'll bite my tongue for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

the visuals are not bad.

the problem is that we were expecting near Pixar quality CGI graphics as we got in Unleashed and Generations.

it's not bad, just a different art style, the "normal" sonic world is much more detailed and realistic than that..

• Thumbs Up 2

What is "normal"? How is this any less normal than any other game? Is Unleashed normal, is Colors normal, is '06 normal, is ShtH normal?

• Thumbs Up 3

What is "normal"? How is this any less normal than any other game? Is Unleashed normal, is Colors normal, is '06 normal, is ShtH normal?

yes.

Sonic supposedly happens in a slightly stylized version of planet earth.

Lost World probably is a whole different thing, plastic-y terrain, weird landscape, wacky grass and such, even the eggman robots look completely cartoony compared to the more "realistic" (albeit still stylized) look from generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

My only gripe with this new style is the disparity in the badniks. The Motobug looks utterly fantastic, even when stacked next to the badass motobugs we got on generations. The Lost World chompers on the other hand look like throwaway garbage.

I'll give the robo fish a pass if we get sweet looking cartoony buzzbombers though.

Yeah I love the stylized explosions. Never cared at all for the effects of the previous games.

Yeah, the enemies in previous games just kind of pathetically ragdoll when slammed into; then weakly explode. This looks more dynamic.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Overall to me, this and generations both look gorgeous in their own ways. The way I see it these two games were/are trying to do different things with the franchise. Generations was just trying to re-create stages to the best they can and create eye candy. Lost World on the other hand is trying to create a new world. To do this could mean a new artstyle perhaps? It's trying to distinguish itself from the norm while still being very cartoony,colorful and Sonic-y. I appreciate both for what they were/are doing, and I wouldn't mind if the LW or Gen/unleashed visuals were used in the next game.(although it wouldn't hurt for LW to have a little more going on in the back. But maybe there will be in later levels! We'll have to wait and see.:P)

• Thumbs Up 1

yes.

Sonic supposedly happens in a slightly stylized version of planet earth.

Lost World probably is a whole different thing, plastic-y terrain, weird landscape, wacky grass and such, even the eggman robots look completely cartoony compared to the more "realistic" (albeit still stylized) look from generations.

oS8PYUV.png

Plasticy terrain, weird landscapes, wacky grass, cartoony robots. Things that Lost World invented, and most certainly not things that have been in the series since day one.

• Thumbs Up 2

oS8PYUV.png   Plasticy terrain, weird landscapes, wacky grass, cartoony robots. Things that Lost World invented, and most certainly not things that have been in the series since day one.
To be fair, that was 22 years ago. They didn't have the technology to do it any other way.

To be fair, that was 22 years ago. They didn't have the technology to do it any other way.

There were hundreds, maybe thousands of ways to make games look even then. Compare Super Mario World to Yoshi's Island to Donkey Kong Country. And they damn sure didn't need to make geometric plant life if they didn't want to; that was a 100% intentional design decision.

• Thumbs Up 9

There were hundreds, maybe thousands of ways to make games look even then. Compare Super Mario World to Yoshi's Island to Donkey Kong Country. And they damn sure didn't need to make geometric plant life if they didn't want to; that was a 100% intentional design decision.

it's the rendering, not the art style of the assets.

Since Sonic adventure the series aimed for realistic rendering as much as the tech would allow at the time, foliage looks like real foliage, water looks like real water, earth and grass looks like earth and grass.

GQoVv.jpg

this is not the case with Lost Worlds, is a completely different setting, it's their choice of not rendering things realistically, doesn't makes the graphics bad, but there is a difference in what is going to be portrayed and what is going to be represented.

Really not digging the "flat" look. I wouldn't call Unleashed or Generations "cluttered" or "messy" at all; just more detailed, and I like that quite a bit more, personally. Gives the environment more life in my opinion.

Say what you will about it being cluttered, but this is nothing short of gorgeous, if you ask me. My jaw dropped the first time I played through this level.

Obviously it's all a matter of opinion, but as far as what's aesthetically pleasing to me, I far prefer the style Unleashed, Colors, and Generations had going over this more flat, basic style.

There is little to no reason why the final stage in this game can't look like that, either. Let's compare apples to apples here, green hills to green hills. 

Sean basically said everything I was going to say, more or less. They're bringing the series back to it's cartoony roots that it's been consistently straying from since S3&K, and I love it. the new effects, enemy designs and stage pallets show a real sense of detail and direction that's been sorely missing for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 2