Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

Hey, I've just S-Ranked every normal stage, which unlocks

nothing.

And am in the process of doing the same for hard mode.

Does anyone want tips for crafting materials? I've made a few mental notes.

I need 300 Silver for something. THREE HUNDRED!!! *rage*

Good luck on them hard modes, though at least, from what I managed S ranks on, the general consensus seems to be just "do it without dying more than once or twice".

I salute your hard work, though I admit I'll have no problems if you reveal a lack of reward for S Ranking everything as I really can't be arsed, even though I prefer the 3DS version.

Quick question: Where the hell is the final red ring in Windy Hill Zone 1 ? I can't seem to find it :|

Quick question: Where the hell is the final red ring in Windy Hill Zone 1 ? I can't seem to find it :|

Collect the Asteroid Wisp by taking the upper route of the wall running segment near the end.  Activate it when the giant Caterkiller starts chasing you and make sure to suck up as many little Totem Pole things as possible.  When you reach maximum size (purple spiky halo around Sonic), you can shloop up the Caterkiller.  The Red Ring is inside it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is Lost World 3DS at least better than Generations 3DS?

Erm... uhh... kinda?

At least Generations 3DS had the decency to be over in the space of one or two hours. Some of Lost World 3DS seriously draaaaaaags.

Yeah, atleast I think it is, besides a couple of levels, the game is pretty solid and is actually really fun in most instances.

This shouldn't be a question.

Generations 3DS was the most "Boost to win" handheld game and it had like 3 levels. Out of those 3 levels, 2 levels had crappy level design.

• Thumbs Up 2

Generations is at least consistent.  If you like it, you probably like all of it.  If you don't like it, you probably don't like all of it.

Lost World is a game where it is very difficult to like every part of it.  Having said that, if you do at least like -most- of it, it's the much longer game of the two.

Edited by JezMM

Beat the 3DS version other day.

I'm sorry, but this was just a terrible experience for me. After Windy Hill the game just took a huge drop in quality and became more and more "Standard Dimps design" near the end. Level design just became horrid for me, not to mention how long some of the levels could be.

The focus on parkour throughout the game was nice, and getting Super Sonic after going through some of the most physically demanding Special Stages in the series, is a lot easier and faster than getting him in the counterpart version. Besides these things, I can't think of any other pros this version might have over the other.

The game's worth a rental imo. I guess it's nice to have a 3D Sonic on the go, but still. This was just not a good experience for me.

I will say the online play was pretty fun.

Edited by Nintendoga

I beat the game today, by my standards of "beating," which was that I beat all the mandatory stages and unlocked Super Sonic.  My overall feeling can perhaps be gleaned from the fact that I haven't the stomach to go back for the Red Star Rings.

Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the promotion or preview videos, but I really wasn't expecting the parkour to be so scripted.  I assumed you'd just run along walls like you would along floors, but instead you can't even control the direction you're running in and moving sideways is really awkward.  In the horizontal wall-running segments then it's often really hard to tell what's coming, let alone react to it.  Speed boosters are scripted.  The pinball was scripted.  And yet it wasn't scripted in the good way pre-LW games were, where you could at least trust them to play themselves so you weren't always dying because of the level design.

Even without the run button held down, Sonic moves like he's got oil on his boots, which is unhelpful when a great deal of the level design is built on precision platforming in 3D.  You are constantly asked to jump onto little ledges and platforms where the slightest attempt to correct your positioning, especially in the air, may well lead you to plummet off the edge.  Likewise, the non-linear levels often asked you to walk in precise straight lines but the camera couldn't sit still, drifting off all over the place and sending you drifting off all over the place too - which also caused the homing attack to sometimes not lock onto things right in front of your face, and while we're at it, Ivory Lightning is ridiculously picky about its lock-on, too.  And, most criminally to my mind, the level design is built on bottomless pits.  The whole game is full of bottomless pits, which would be okay if the controls were reliable.  They aren't.  I fundamentally did not trust them or feel in any way safe.  Pretty much the whole game was a narrow path or small platform with death surrounding you on all sides and controls and level design that were just waiting to throw you into the abyss.  I feel like Sonic Team and Dimps should challenge themselves next time around to create a game with no bottomless pits, and this is the perfect time as with parkour it should be a lot easier to transfer between paths. 

Also, several puzzles in one of the Frozen Factory levels can be skipped with parkour, but no complaints here, that's exactly what I wanted to achieve.  The levels were far too long.  I would have been happy for them to cut every level in half and claim that they had seven acts per zone instead of four, as it would have been a lot more tolerable and required much less of a time investment.  Part of the reason I can't be bothered to go back for the Red Rings is that just completing a single level takes longer than I'm willing to revisit them for.

The boss rush levels in the last world were uninspiring.  I don't know why I say "the boss rush levels" as if there was any other kind of level.  It's also the last time you see the Deadly Six but doesn't feel in any way final.  I would have been more than happy for Lava Mountain to have had only two acts if the first one was a giant boss battle against all the Deadly Six at once.  Maybe they could gattai their mechs/fruit into a giant ridiculous-looking robot which you break piece-by-piece and then knock the Zeti around on the ground?  That would have felt climactic.

Also, the final boss was fairly samey, but I did actually really like its design.  One of the best Death Egg Robot rip-offs yet, I think.

So, yeah, overall I'm... not exactly disappointed.  There was wasted potential, but at least it was new and different wasted potential.  And I liked the graphics, so that's a plus.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm on Silent Forest Act 2 right now... and my God am I seriously divided. Most of the levels I've played have been pretty good stuff (All of Windy Hill, Desert Ruins, and most of Tropical Coast), but there are so many in there that make me want to rip my hair out. Case in point, Frozen Factory Act 3. Seriously. If there's one level I've ever played in a video game that I've wanted to die in a horrible fire, it's this place.

I'll hold off on full impressions until I fully beat it, but I'll leave a few reactions I had while playing:

"Wow. This is how Sonic controls huh? Not too shabby. This parkour thing is actually pretty cool!"

""Hah. Cobi spent all this time bitching that this enemy is an enormous tool to beat. I defeat it in one hit. Cobi, y u no haz patience?"

"DAMMIT DRILL DO WHAT I TELL YOU. NO, DO NOT GO UP TO THE SURFACE WHEN I WANT YOU TO GO DOWN. FOR THE LOVE OF PELE THE BELOVED DOG, STOP BEING SO FINICKY!"

"Zeena, if that's you in that snowball, fuck you. How dare you eat my snowball. Go away. No, don't freeze me when that is trying to kill me, go away! Quit stalking me, I just want to go home!"

... I also concur that the Special Stages are actually pretty good stuff. I wish the gyro in it was optional, and I'll only be able to play it in my house, but an overall fun thing. I'm 3 emeralds in though, as this game is kicking my ass too hard for me to get them all yet.

• Thumbs Up 3

Welp, I finally gotten Lost World today, and I just beaten Windy Hill Zone so far... I found it to be fun!

I don't find Sonic Controls to be slippery at all... well, in the 3D sections anyway, 2D on the other hand... Sonic run like a maniac, his traction is really bad and would it killed dimps to zoom out the camera a bit in the 2D levels? I keep  on getting blindsided by a buzzbomber or a motobug just because I couldn't see what was ahead of me.

I don't find the special stages to be bad, but just don't play it on a bus or anywhere public.

I haven't play the VS mode yet, so I don't have any thoughts on that, but so far, the game is enjoyable!

Edited by KaBlamJamDan
  • Thumbs Up 4

I've finally gotten my self a copy of Sonic Portable World (thanks for the $15 loan, mom), and I'm up to Windy Hill 2. So far, I love it. The controls are great. Sonic moves very naturally on the ground, and it's easier to get used to than the Wii U version's clunky control. My only gripes with the control are that, like in the Wii U version, jumping is a bit awkward, and the spin dash is stiff as a board. Still, I got used to it easily. I'm off to play more. Can't wait to go head to head in multiplayer mode.

Oh, and the textures look sooo much better on the actual system than on YouTube videos. The frame rate is choppy, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've finally gotten my self a copy of Sonic Portable World (thanks for the $15 loan, mom), and I'm up to Windy Hill 2. So far, I love it. The controls are great. Sonic moves very naturally on the ground, and it's easier to get used to than the Wii U version's clunky control. My only gripes with the control are that, like in the Wii U version, jumping is a bit awkward, and the spin dash is stiff as a board. Still, I got used to it easily. I'm off to play more. Can't wait to go head to head in multiplayer mode.

Here a warning: If you play online mode with random players, you're gonna be so fucking sick of Windy Hill Zone.

What's the best way to grind for Bronze material in this game? I need 70-odd pieces of it to upgrade Tails' Lab to level 4 (only got around 30 at the moment) but it's not one of the main materials you get just from beating certain zones... at least, not at first glance, anyway?

So I beat the game and unlocked Super Sonic. Overall, the game is meh. Level design is bullshit (too many bottomless pits, tedious, boring puzzles and forced Wisp usage takes away most of the fun from the game). Sonic is kinda slippery to me, I wish he controlled more precisely like how he seems to control on Wii U. He's also REALLY slow for my liking; I was hoping he'd be around SA games fast, but nope. Parkour doesn't control very well either and I hate that you can't tell what you can and can't parkour up on. It's also annoying that parkour won't activate on certain platforms when jumping, which has led me to die countless times. I'm not fond of the Wisps at all in this game. They really don't control all that well, and sometimes they're not very responsive; the fact that they're forced in a lot stages makes the game all the more frustrating. Special Stages are frustrating, but doable. Now that I have Super Sonic I don't plan on touching those ever again. I also don't like that I have to hold the run button to Spin Dash, as it feels pretty awkward to me. Really annoyed that Super Sonic gets tired while performing parkour actions still, which is stupid. Other than that he's pretty fun to use, until you try him out in the levels where Wisps are forced (which is roughly half of them after Windy Hill, btw). So yeah, the game isn't that fun for me. I'm really having a hard time seeing how this is the "superior" version that some of you are claiming. I'm not really fond of the game, in fact this is the first Sonic game I have considered returning because of how much it pissed me off and frustrated me.

Generations 3DS was terrible let's not talk about that. It's in no way comparable to Lost World 3DS.

I wanted a 3D Sonic game and now I have on my 3DS! It doesn't rely just around boosting without enjoying the background so that's a bonus!

What's the best way to grind for Bronze material in this game? I need 70-odd pieces of it to upgrade Tails' Lab to level 4 (only got around 30 at the moment) but it's not one of the main materials you get just from beating certain zones... at least, not at first glance, anyway?

Do well (A,S Ranks) in any of the first 3 worlds.

Generations 3DS was terrible let's not talk about that. It's in no way comparable to Lost World 3DS.

I wanted a 3D Sonic game and now I have on my 3DS! It doesn't rely just around boosting without enjoying the background so that's a bonus!

Sure, Gens 3DS was bad. But SLW 3DS is much, much worse.

I don't know if I'd call SLW 3DS worse than Generations 3DS.  I feel like actual effort was put into making Lost World 3DS, and while it wasted its potential, at least it still had some.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, you can tell they really tried with 3DS.  Whether you like their design choices or not it feels like a much more complete game than Colours and Generations felt.

• Thumbs Up 8

I just learned that in order to enter a special stage, You need 50 rings and play the stage without dying.

I just learned that in order to enter a special stage, You need 50 rings and play the stage without dying.

You can die you just need 50 rings, i.e. T.C.Z 3 has a 50 ring capsule at the end of the stage. I died multiple times throughout the stage got that capsule and still entered a special stage.

Yeah, you can tell they really tried with 3DS.  Whether you like their design choices or not it feels like a much more complete game than Colours and Generations felt.

I can't tell if they're lazy and tried to make it look like they put some effort it, or if they genuinely did try and are just truly incompetent as developers of Sonic games. They've such a chequered record it's hard to draw any real conclusion.

Lost World 3DS at least doesn't feel short on content, I will give it that much.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1