Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

I'd much rather it not be 2.5D and see the game take full advantage of the console rather than being yet another Rush-esque game, but that's how Sonic's handheld adventures usually go as of late (curse you Dimps)...

I just hope that, at least, the visuals will feel fuller and prettier than they were in Sonic Generations 3DS, and by that, I mean no "highway in the sky" stage design. Seriously, it just bothers me that they chose not to make actual terrain for these stages and went with straightforward paths floating in the air. The only stages in the game that got away with this were Emerald Coast and Radical Highway, the former for being a beach for the most part, and the other being the literal trope like it was in Sonic Adventure 2.

The rest? No excuse to just leave it as extremely tall, thing and long sections of floating buildings. I want to feel like I'm running along a path with the prettiest surroundings ever than, again, highway-in-the-sky with a simple backdrop! It's just lackluster, boring, and it ruins the experience! I sincerely hope this doesn't turn out to be the case AGAIN, because there were so many missed opportunities in the visual department of Gen3DS.

I suppose I can forgive this though due to supposed time constraints and a much shorter development period (IT WAS RUSHED AHAHAHA GET IT I WRITE MY OWN JOKES), but, seeing that this partnership with Nintendo, and this game by extension, has been in the works for a while, there's no excuse not to give the visuals a massive boost (ZING), seeing they had a whole lot more time to work on Sonic Lost World 3DS.

I can live with the Rush clone side of the game if visuals get a much needed upgrade (but please, please, please, let there be more to the gameplay than just "Sonic Rush 5"), and if that turns out to be the case, then I'd be fully satisfied.

It worked with the Sonic Rivals series (2.5D with a complete environment), it can work here. Hop to it, SEGA!

SO MY WISH CAME TRUE IN THE END AND THEN SOME HAHA YES

THANK YOU SEGA GODS

tumblr_lknko69MFq1qhrjqn.gif

as you might tell, i'm really really really really really really really really really really really really really really happy

Rush gameplay is scrapped aside, full on 3D gameplay with all that super cool parkour stuff... ohohohoho best Sonic handheld instalment ever, here we come!

All I got to mull over now is how cutscenes will be handled. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be the same as they were since Sonic Rush, but the guys in blue have surprised us quite a bit already... Maybe we'll get fully rendered cutscenes, maybe still models with a transcript slapped underneath, who knows?

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm just hoping it more or less controls identically to the Wii U version. Would be pretty nice to have a handheld game on par with that-3DS-Mario-game-I-never-shut-up-about.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the 3DS version's gameplay doesn't look like it's going to be utterly gimped this time. What about the cutscenes though?

You think we'll still have to deal with that crap? The least they could do is give the scenes full voice acting, like in Rivals 2

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dimps is making the 3DS version...hooray for improvements. This is what you get when you don't have an 8 month deadline for a game.

Okay, the 3DS version's gameplay doesn't look like it's going to be utterly gimped this time. What about the cutscenes though?

You think we'll still have to deal with that crap? The least they could do is give the scenes full voice acting, like in Rivals 2

Do you know what I would accept. I wouldn't mind having the Generations 3DS cut scenes only if there is a cut scene that set-up the environment. Like say Eggman physically walking to where the deadly six are "sleeping" with the temple door ( insert where they are) opening and him walking inside before going into Generations 3DS cut scene. It would be 1000 time better than Sonic flinching when getting hit by the time eater.

If both versions share the same story they could probably just have the same cutscenes in both versions but instead of rendering them in-engine they could just have them prerendered on the 3DS. Wasn't that what they did with Unleashed Wii? Gens 3DS had different levels than the HD version so obviously they couldn't do it there but that doesn't seem to be the case with Lost World. Even if it wouldn't be in 3D I'd still take it over the shitty cardboard cutouts and stock animations we got in Gens 3DS. 

If both versions share the same story they could probably just have the same cutscenes in both versions but instead of rendering them in-engine they could just have them prerendered on the 3DS. Wasn't that what they did with Unleashed Wii? Gens 3DS had different levels than the HD version so obviously they couldn't do it there but that doesn't seem to be the case with Lost World. Even if it wouldn't be in 3D I'd still take it over the shitty cardboard cutouts and stock animations we got in Gens 3DS. 

There is already a disparity when it comes to Desert Ruins.  Candy and trees in the Wii U version and an Egyptian ruin in the 3DS version. so you never know

There is already a disparity when it comes to Desert Ruins.  Candy and trees in the Wii U version and an Egyptian ruin in the 3DS version. so you never know

Pretty sure each of the worlds contain a variety of zones with different themes this time. There's no disparity there. What Prownage is suggesting is technically possible, but it would most likely take up way too much space on the card.

If we can't have fully animated cutscenes, I'd love something similar to the advance/storybook series. Storyboard style cutscenes, with drawn characters and backgrounds please, not that pre-rendered blaargh from free riders.

If we can't have fully animated cutscenes, I'd love something similar to the advance/storybook series. Storyboard style cutscenes, with drawn characters and backgrounds please, not that pre-rendered blaargh from free riders.

All I want I is cutscenes where I don't have to watch the console version to get the full meaning of some cutscenes. * looks at Generations 3DS sonics meet for the first time and Final Gate

What Prownage is suggesting is technically possible, but it would most likely take up way too much space on the card.

I dunno. If I recall correctly the 3DS game cards have a pretty large capacity for storage, comparable to regular Wii discs even, and if recent games are anything to go by there probably won't be too many cutscenes anyway. I doubt they would really cause any issues by taking up too much space although it could be a pain for a possible downloadable version. Then again I don't really know much about game development in the first place. Obviously it'd be the best if they could render all the cutscenes in-engine and now that they actually seemed to have more time to develop the game it doesn't sound like an impossibility either. I just really don't want to see another story ruined by cheap presentation. :/

Pretty sure each of the worlds contain a variety of zones with different themes this time. There's no disparity there. What Prownage is suggesting is technically possible, but it would most likely take up way too much space on the card.

Luigi's mansion dark moon has a lot of cutscenes, even in game. And DKCR  3d is a full blown Wii game on a small card

Edited by Team Sonic

I actually enjoyed Sonic Generations 3D. Yes, I was a little disappointed that there were no 3D stages, but I still had fun with what it did offer. Now that 3D stages are confirmed for Lost World, I'm setting my hopes higher (Especially since I don't have a Wii U or the money to buy one right now).

I'm just hoping it's not a crappy version of the Wii U version. Looking at the videos from IGN, the 3DS version looks like it just has different paths than the console version. I'm hoping Sega does what they did in Generations and make Windy Hill the only level that both versions share (Pretty likely). Either way, I'm expecting the 3DS version to be pretty good.

3DS Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZFlXdKzeQg&feature=player_embedded

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm liking the look of the 3DS game and I will definitely be picking up a copy. Like most people have said I would be nice to have some cutscenes rather than stills to voices. Lugi's Mansion could do cut scenes, Resident Evil could do cut scenes why can't Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I played Sonic Lost Worlds yesterday at PAX here in Melbourne yesterday. Took a few minutes to get used to the new style of gameplay. Running across the wall was the most difficult part and sometimes if you're moving too quickly it is very easy to fall off the edge. But overall it seems like it could be a good game but in my opinion, not as good as Generations. 

Am I the only one who noticed the lack of 3DS footage we are getting?

• Thumbs Up 3

Am I the only one who noticed the lack of 3DS footage we are getting?

The most educated guess would be that the Wii U in general needs more marketing. 3DS games practically sell themselves at this point

3DS games yes. Not so much Sonic games. Especially when SLW comes out like a week or 2 away from Pokemon X/Y. 

Doesn't the 'main' version of a game always get more focus? It's been this way with Sonic games for awhile. Sega releases dedicated trailers for the lesser version here and there, but most new material will be based on the technologically advanced version.

Unwiished got less shine publically than the PS360 version, and the portable version of Colors and Generations were focused on less than 3DS Lost World.

Edited by Crazizzle
  • Thumbs Up 1

3DS games yes. Not so much Sonic games. Especially when SLW comes out like a week or 2 away from Pokemon X/Y. 

It really wouldn't matter the time frame. Anything after X/Y's release will get overshadowed for the holiday season.

Don't know if posted yet but here's the music from the 3DS trailer

Where the hell does SEGA get their music picks from??

I might skip out on the 3DS version. At least at launch. It looks a bit...  eh. I'll may pick it up at a later date.

I played Sonic Lost Worlds yesterday at PAX here in Melbourne yesterday. Took a few minutes to get used to the new style of gameplay. Running across the wall was the most difficult part and sometimes if you're moving too quickly it is very easy to fall off the edge. But overall it seems like it could be a good game but in my opinion, not as good as Generations. 

Did you play the 3DS or Wii U version?