Awoo.

Gameplay Speculation Topic

Chaos Warp

Because they might fuck up and shoot down Sonic straight to the pits of hell in the eyes of the public again?

So you'd rather take the slow road to extinction?
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've noticed people saying to nerf the boost, but I couldn't help but wonder... do you guys actually WANT the boost to be nerfed, or just removed entirely? In my opinion, they can only keep it, or trash it. I don't see a very health inbetween-option for boost. 

For those who enjoy boost, it would just make it more tedious to achieve than actually enjoying it. And for those who don't enjoy boost, it would still be there... just "harder to get," which in my opinion, it's NEVER going to get hard to fill up your boost gauge. You gotta remember, Sonic games are made to be kid friendly. They can only make it so hard to fill the gauge before kids lose interest in trying. 

If you ask me, the best way to resolve this issue is by bringing back the Spin Dash move. Which in recent games (SA1, 2, Etc) lets you obtain max running speed by charging the spin dash, launching sonic forward, then pressing the spin dash button again to revert to his running animation.

The benefit to this, you ask? 

For people that LOVE boost, you still get to obtain max speed without the need of a speed pad (or whatever you call those speed up things) or by waiting for sonic to eventually speed up on his own, but this way you have to MAINTAIN the speed to prevent sonic from slowing down. You can't just instantly reach max speed by pressing the boost button, you instead have to stop, charge up, then continuing going. 

And for those who hate boost.... well, pretty self explanatory lol

Edited by chirf

So you'd rather take the slow road to extinction?

More like the slow road to revival. 

Because they might fuck up and shoot down Sonic straight to the pits of hell in the eyes of the public again?

And they can make it more sustainable by tweaking it from game to game.

Unlikely that they're going to fuck up that badly again. They can't afford to be complacent.

And you can only tweak the boost gameplay so much before it starts to wear thin. Its so constrictive, that even if you slow everything down, the boost will still sit there like a giant anchovy on a mini pizza, and will dominate everything.

Unlikely that they're going to fuck up that badly again. They can't afford to be complacent.

And you can only tweak the boost gameplay so much before it starts to wear thin. Its so constrictive, that even if you slow everything down, the boost will still sit there like a giant anchovy on a mini pizza, and will dominate everything.

I also don't think Nintendo would let the game be that poor, cause even Nintendo can't afford to mess up a huge third party game like this.

And I agree, as I said before, I don't think it's wise to try and force the boost to work. It either works the way it does now, or they trash it. 

More like the slow road to revival.

If Sonic games continue along the path laid out by Unleashed, Colours and Generations, they're never going to reach any level of acclaim. They're just going to get tired and stale. Decent games that don't excel in any department that will bore the player over time. It's a slow descent to the death of a series.

The gameplay (and everything else) needs a shakeup. And I can't think of a better time to do that than with a new game, on a new system, with a new publisher, as a Nintendo title and after the past twenty years of the series have seen some serious closure in Generations. If there was ever a time for change, this is it.

• Thumbs Up 8

I am expecting a New Super Mario Bros U game style.

9 worlds(8 zones and 1 superstar road)

Castles are guarded by Random Evil Sonic Characters and Rivals( possibility to introduce new bad guys)

Towers are guarded by Badniks and the Leader of that Badnik Group

World 8 will be a boss battle with a giant Metal Sonic and Amy Rose(stuck in a cage, waiting for Sonic to rescue her)

Every form that Sonic previously got will be a powerup (Werehog, Excalibur, and any other forms)

Opening cutscene will be Sonic having a chili dog party with his friends. 

Mini-games will consist of catching Nack to get the sol emeralds back for Blaze

Boss Battles in the castles will give you 1 of the seven chaos emeralds. 

...you're here to fill in for miru while he's away, aren't you?

Well, what I meant by slow improvements are things that slowly evolve the gameplay beyond the boost gameplay into something better

Well, what I meant by slow improvements are things that slowly evolve the gameplay beyond the boost gameplay into something better

No matter how slowly you go, you can't grow an apple tree out of an orange.

Honestly we shouldn't have to treat Sonic Team like children and wait for them to slowly get their shit together. Yeah, I know, they fucked up a lot, but it wasn't because they were moving too fast, was it?

If Sonic games continue along the path laid out by Unleashed, Colours and Generations, they're never going to reach any level of acclaim. They're just going to get tired and stale. Decent games that don't excel in any department that will bore the player over time. It's a slow descent to the death of a series.

The gameplay (and everything else) needs a shakeup. And I can't think of a better time to do that than with a new game, on a new system, with a new publisher, as a Nintendo title and after the past twenty years of the series have seen some serious closure in Generations. If there was ever a time for change, this is it.

Considering the critical acclaim of the Unleashed Day, Colours, and Generations Modern playstyle, I wouldn't say so. 

No matter how slowly you go, you can't grow an apple tree out of an orange.

No but there's orange juice :D.

I'm not going to talk about the boost gameplay because it's "been there, done that"

And give me a break, what's with this "they might fuck up, so they shouldn't do it at all" mindset?

• Thumbs Up 2

No but there's orange juice :D.

One glass of orange juice, after which you'll soon get thirsty and have nothin left to drink.

Basically the gameplay as is cant be slowly changed into something else. It's something that needs changing at the core. If it doesn't then, I'm sure this game will still be good or alright. But to really get better it can't be more of the same. The only problem is that I don't think SEGA will change anything.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

... Or, they might be successful and make another step towards making the franchise generally respected again. We could argue over what-ifs until we're blue, but at the end of the day, they've got to take risks at some point. Total stagnancy is a franchise killer, too.

And they can make it more sustainable by tweaking it from game to game.

One can only tweak a game so many times before its potential for awesomeness is ultimately exhausted. And, brotha, speaking as a fervent defender of the "Sonic Boost" gameplay, Sonic Generations has pretty much exhausted it for me. I say it's time for a change of pace

• Thumbs Up 1

Replies in bold.

... Or, they might be successful and make another step towards making the franchise generally respected again. We could argue over what-ifs until we're blue, but at the end of the day, they've got to take risks at some point. Total stagnancy is a franchise killer, too.

Who said keeping consistent with the same gameplay was stagnation? Lots of franchises do it. 

One can only tweak a game so many times before its potential for awesomeness is ultimately exhausted. And, brotha, speaking as a fervent defender of the "Sonic Boost" gameplay, Sonic Generations has pretty much exhausted it for me. I say it's time for a change of pace

Which is why I suggested gradually tweaking the Modern gameplay so it eventually becomes something else. 

it's time for a change of pace

Eggman gives his stamp of approval...provided you purchase the complementary rubber stamp first. And by complementary, he means quite expensive :D.

Who said keeping consistent with the same gameplay was stagnation? Lots of franchises do it. 

The problem is that the Unleashed style leaves almost no room to add things to it in a meaningful way. The games are all based around split-second reaction time and level memorization, and the character is moving so fast that the player's input is broken down to last minute button presses to stay on track and avoid obstacles. It would take radical innovations, and not gradual ones, to change this. 

And a lot of games do get criticized for having the same gameplay as their predecessors if they haven't evolved or improved in any regard. 

What if the game ended up splitting 3D platforming (no, not like those short linear section seen in Unleashed) with boost areas?

If boost meant Sonic Unleashed, than I would be extremely opposed to its continuation. However, Colors and Generations play quite differently from Unleashed thanks to different level design. I would like more situations wherein boost is impractical, such as the platforming sections of Seaside Hill, but I don't want to see it removed altogether.

The only way that Colors and Generations play differently from Unleashed (wisps aside) is that they have more boring, generic platforming. They didn't fix the problems with the boost gameplay, they didn't even come up with something good to go alongside it, they just added in some platforms to break up the boosting without doing anything to make interacting with them interesting.
  • Thumbs Up 8

The problem is that the Unleashed style leaves almost no room to add things to it in a meaningful way. The games are all based around split-second reaction time and level memorization, and the character is moving so fast that the player's input is broken down to last minute button presses to stay on track and avoid obstacles. It would take radical innovations, and not gradual ones, to change this. 

And a lot of games do get criticized for having the same gameplay as their predecessors if they haven't evolved or improved in any regard. 

I think you're describing Sonic Unleashed there. Sonic Colours and Generations are nowhere near as reaction-time based, and feature tons more platforming and exploration. 

I think you're describing Sonic Unleashed there. Sonic Colours and Generations are nowhere near as reaction-time based, and feature tons more platforming and exploration. 

"Exploration"?

The platforming was nice, but it was all flat and blocky. The fact that it was 3D was nice, but it wasn't particularly......outstanding level design.

Exploration? What exploration? lol I havent seen any exploration in a sonic game since the adventure games... Or... I guess 06.... but....

Exploration? What exploration? lol I havent seen any exploration in a sonic game since the adventure games... Or... I guess 06.... but....

Even that's arguable in Sonic Adventure 2.

...Literally every speed stage was a linear downhill derby.

It was done well but still.

The only way that Colors and Generations play differently from Unleashed (wisps aside) is that they have more boring, generic platforming. They didn't fix the problems with the boost gameplay, they didn't even come up with something good to go alongside it, they just added in some platforms to break up the boosting without doing anything to make interacting with them interesting.

4908019164_843df7b262.jpg

Pink Wisp is not pleased (yeah I know you mentioned the wisp, but then you go on to mention how neither Colors or Gens did anything interesting with the plat forming despite the fact that this is exactly what the wisps did).

Also, most of the problems with the boost gameplay boil down to linear focused level design that was incredibly automate and reactionary. Whether you liked it or not Colors and Gens DID in fact went some leaps and bound in order to fix this issue, most of the problems with the Unleashed gameplay was only regulated to the 3D areas of Colors which was 30% of the game, and Gens sought to have platfomring in 2D and 3D mores than the previous two games. So yeah, it got rid of a lot of problems people had with the boost, it didn't get rid of it completely

Edited by Soniman