Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Getting lives and how you obtain lives often has very little effect on the actual difficulty of a game though.  If anything lives are a rather archaic concept that should be abolished from platformers altogether in my opinion.  Take a game like Rayman Origins for example.  That game didn't have lives, yet there are plenty of points in that game where it's genuinely difficult and challenging.

• Thumbs Up 4

Weren't lives acquired by ringing the bell? Or were those red rings nstead? 

Regardless, it adds to my hype a little that the game is purportedly difficult, although I'm not sure if that's mainly a control issue (e.g., we're not used to it), or a genuine design element.

I too believe that this will be so as well. I fully expect this game to be very polarizing. From the revamped controls to the speed to the visual style, which has won me over at least. The game is so very unlike previous ones in so many areas that it WILL be a shock to those who play it. It certainly was for me.

It doesn't even look the polarizing from what I've seen in the control scheme, the only way i can see this game offending most people is if they grew way too attacked to the Colors/Generations gameplay that they would never want change.

Question. Does this game have full 360 degree control? Because the more I look at footage, the more it looks like 8-way control.

Getting lives and how you obtain lives often has very little effect on the actual difficulty of a game though.  If anything lives are a rather archaic concept that should be abolished from platformers altogether in my opinion.  Take a game like Rayman Origins for example.  That game didn't have lives, yet there are plenty of points in that game where it's genuinely difficult and challenging.

Oh they most certainly can add difficulty if it's a difficult stage; if you lose all your lives, you need to start over. It's irritating but it certainly does add gameplay time until you get the stage right eventually.

But yes overall it may come off as laziness on the dev team's part to develop actually challenging parts of the game. We've experimented with no lives in Black Knight and Secret Rings; I'd say it works fine enough. If an obscure game like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger can abolish lives, why not Sonic? Is the one up sound that iconic?

• Thumbs Up 2

True, but when you stock up enough lives and you're stuck at a certain part of the game, it may take a few tries to get past said point. A good example for me: 

Case in point: 

1:28 I actually died quite a bit here the first time I played this part .

1:55

Question. Does this game have full 360 degree control? Because the more I look at footage, the more it looks like 8-way control.

Yeah, it's 360 as usual, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me. The first thing I did was run around in a circle to test how smooth the movement was.

Edited by Pawn

So, people who have had a play, does the game have camera control like Unleashed, or none like Generations? Not a big matter, but I like camera control....

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor

H

Yeah, it's 360 as usual, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me. The first thing I did was run around in a circle to test how smooth the movement was.

How does Sonic control in your opinion compared to Colors & Generations?

So, people who have had a play, does the game have camera control like Unleashed, or none like Generations? Not a big matter, but I like camera control....

Hopefully there's none of those "auto-camera" moments that can kill you in sensitive moments like in Unleashed; I can't count the number of times I've fallen or almost fallen to my death as WereSonic crossing a ledge because the camera decides to "help" and change direction, changing which way Sonic moves - i.e. off the ledge, complete with the infamous death scream.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully there's none of those "auto-camera" moments that can kill you in sensitive moments like in Unleashed; I can't count the number of times I've fallen or almost fallen to my death as WereSonic crossing a ledge because the camera decides to "help" and change direction, changing which way Sonic moves - i.e. off the ledge, complete with the infamous death scream.

Oh yeah... Those...

Thankfully, Lost World doesn't seem to have tight rope like paths, so hopefully those won't be a problem. Camera Control is much more beneficial when doing things like that, so if there is sections like those, hopefully the game has a controllable camera.

H

How does Sonic control in your opinion compared to Colors & Generations?

The controls are essentially the opposite. A lot of people are going to find them jerky after those games, but hopefully it won't take them long to adjust. I didn't quite get a handle on the homing attack or the kick, but to be fair I barely used them since I spent most of the time trying out the parkour and bouncing on capsules. If you're asking which I prefer, then I'd say that I need to play more to really judge that.

I don't think so, but I didn't touch the L or R buttons (I often forget they are there on the Wii U controller). When the guy attending the booths explained the controls, nothing about the camera was included.

Edited by Pawn

So I've heard that the homing attack is much differently activated then in other Sonic games. Can anyone fill me in on how it works?

Edited by Chaos Warp

From What I remember.  The camera is mostly fix in the a semi birds eye/ 45' angle.  Personally I think it is fine because of the level design.

So I've heard that the homing attack is much differently activated then in other Sonic games. Can anyone fill me in on how it works?

It works exactly the same with the exceptions that you can target more then one enemy at a time.  You also have that homing kick which is press with the Y button.

I played Lost World yesterday at SoS on both systems and I loved it. The Wii U version looked beautiful and played very well and had no problems what so ever, the new gameplay style is very good and hopefully it will satisfy others so that it sticks around.

3DS though? Eh, it was alright. It didn't seem very good, it was basically Rush without the boost and it seemed pretty boring, I did bother to finish a whole level but I don't think I'll be getting the 3DS version, even if Iizuka said that having both will give you special features...

I played Lost World yesterday at SoS on both systems and I loved it. The Wii U version looked beautiful and played very well and had no problems what so ever, the new gameplay style is very good and hopefully it will satisfy others so that it sticks around.

3DS though? Eh, it was alright. It didn't seem very good, it was basically Rush without the boost and it seemed pretty boring, I did bother to finish a whole level but I don't think I'll be getting the 3DS version, even if Iizuka said that having both will give you special features...

How was controlling Sonic, along with the new control scheme in general?

(Pardon me if i keep asking the same questions, i'm just far too curious).

I'm so happy to hearthat the game has upped the difficulty level. I can finally enjoy mastering a game like I did in Unleashed.

Edited by Voyant

How was controlling Sonic, along with the new control scheme in general?

(Pardon me if i keep asking the same questions, i'm just far too curious).

It feels fluid and easy to control. You easily adapt to the new controls, you mainly use the back buttons of the gamepad for the new mechanics and I think it benefits from that because it doesn't feel like your hands are stretched out across the controller like in some other Wii U titles. You still jump in a normal fashion so even if you don't get used to the new mechanics straight away, you'll still be able to not die all the time.

Think of sonic's run mechanic like mario's run it may be simple to use but expect a lot of deaths which ups the challenge greatly

If I may ask, is the Sonic Show going to post that trailer from yesterday sometime on Youtube or some place like that?

I'd like to see this new trailer, can't find it on youtube.

Well, in that case, I found this:

This is someone else's. It is not mine, I swear.

Edited by Flamerstreak