Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Context helps but I can't simply ignore what I find to be incredibly bland and uninteresting level design. Once the main story is over the context of everything is usually thrown completely out of the window. A level can't hold up or be considered replayable just off of its context in the story, can it?

Of course not, but then again we haven't seen the entire level, nor would it be impossible for this to be utterly unplayable after the first time depending upon how satisfying it is going through the motions yourself versus watching it on screen. Video games are not a spectator sport, and sometimes simple-looking shit is just fun yo. And besides, if this specific level isn't for you, you've got things like Frozen Factory and Silent Jungle to tide you over in terms of things to do.

Sandopolis, boring, slow, bland. Seriously? 

Sandopolis was one the most complex zones conceived back in 1994. With loads of gimmicks, fast speed sections, multiple routes, nice music and really interesting level design. If you don't like it, fine, but don't talk rubbish.

I did infact find it slow compared to a lot of the other zones, the first act was really bland and boring imo, and the music was nothing special again imo. The gimmicks in the second act were nice, but didn't save it for me. If you like it, fine, but don't act as if our complaints are unreasonable or wrong.

Edited by Xemnas

I did infact find it slow compared to a lot of the other zones, the first act was Really bland and boring imo, and the music was nothing special again imo. The gimmicks in the second act were nice, but didn't save it for me. If you like it fine, but don't act as if our complaints are unreasonable or wrong.

Pretty much my exact sentiment right here.

Of course not, but then again we haven't seen the entire level, nor would it be impossible for this to be utterly unplayable after the first time depending upon how satisfying it is going through the motions yourself versus watching it on screen. Video games are not a spectator sport, and sometimes simple-looking shit is just fun yo. And besides, if this specific level isn't for you, you've got things like Frozen Factory and Silent Jungle to tide you over in terms of things to do.

I obviously understand that video games are generally not considered a spectator sport (Who doesn't?). Granted, speed runs and fighting game exhibitions can be quite entertaining even if you're not personally involved in them. Eh.. not my point anyway.

Everything that I have said so far about this game until release should be taken under the pretense that I am judging things based off of what I have seen. There's nothing actually wrong with that. Especially since the vast majority of people here commenting and responding to my posts are doing the exact same fucking thing. It's a little frustrating that the knee jerk response to early criticism is always "Wait until you see more" and "Wait until you've actually played the game" because while they are incredibly valid points they kind of undermine the entire discussion from the get go.

Frozen Factory looks like butt to me to be honest. Silent Forest is the only 3D stage so far that has impressed me. I had a large amount of aversion to the 2D only stages coming into Lost World, but now that I have a more concrete idea of what to expect from the 3D stages I think the 2D is likely be my favorite part of the entire game.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not getting on your case about preemptively judge the game, especially when I bothered suggesting levels- that we both have seen in the same detail- that would be more to your liking based on what you've posted. Overall, you asked me whether or not a level can have replay value beyond its story-driven context, and my answer is: Yes, although in Desert Ruins' case, we can't be too sure of that yet because frankly we don't know whether or not what we've seen is indicative of the whole level. But in case the entire level is like that, there are probably going to be other levels to your fancy, such as Silent Forest, which you admit is a stage that impressed you. I'm not saying you need to wait to have an opinion on this stage or even the game in general.

Here's to hoping there's something we're not seeing in Desert Ruins. For the record I really like the 2D version of that stage.

I really love how interactive the grinding sections looked in Silent Forest. It reminded me of Final Rush from SA2, hopefully this interactivity carries over to other levels which have grinding. 

There's nothing wrong with judging the game preemptively, whether positively or negatively. There's literally nothing else to go by, and not everyone is going to like what they see.

I personally think Desert Ruin looks ok, not really good but nothing bad either. Now maybe I'm wrong and there will be more to show later, but for the time being that's how I feel just like how people feel it looks interesting. The only stage taht really interests me is the Silent Jungle stage, and I'm curious to where will that go. 

Desert Ruins so far I'm more interested in compared to Sandopolis. Sandopolis was too boring and slow for my taste. At least this one looks faster and more appealing to me.

EDIT: Did you mean to actually reply to this or what? Because otherwise this is just spam.

Edited by Nepenthe

Looks like I've missed out a bit. Is the forest level officially called "Silent Forest"?

Yep.  That was revealed a little while back but to be honest it was just a written preview from somewhere so it would've been easy to miss.

• Thumbs Up 1

It does look like the controls have been tightened a bit, and Sonic looks much faster too. And oh my word, those levels look gorgeous graphically! You can really see the global illumination lighting kicking in with Silent Forest.

^Nice! How were the controls though?

It does look like the controls have been tightened a bit, and Sonic looks much faster too. And oh my word, those levels look gorgeous graphically! You can really see the global illumination lighting kicking in with Silent Forest.

Interesting, which parts did you see that btw?

Edited by Narukami07

Ok then.  So I just got back from SoS today.  I played both demo's of Lost World and while I don't see much issues with 3DS (probably because I'm use to the way I hold a 3DS) but in the Wii U version it has very tight controls.  I'm not talking Mega Man sort of tight.  I'm talking Sonic 06 tight.  I would be on the second speed and just a tap on the analog stick would send me on a 90' turn.  I know that this is a bad think but I don't know who I can tell to ask if they might be able to fix that.  judging by what I have played I will most likely be getting the 3DS version and it most certainly isn't a Wii U seller for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

^Nice! How were the controls though?

Very refined. Sonic turns quite sharply directionally and when running at max speed, he's not 'all over the place' so to say. Don't know if it was just me but the aiming for Cyan Laser gave more range than in Colours.

As I said above, Sonic doesn't stop at one enemy whilst homing attacking, he will attack the others without further input.

• Thumbs Up 7

Very refined. Sonic turns quite sharply directionally and when running at max speed, he's not 'all over the place' so to say. Don't know if it was just me but the aiming for Cyan Laser gave more range than in Colours.

As I said above, Sonic doesn't stop at one enemy whilst homing attacking, he will attack the others without further input.

Very interesting, Masterofnone seems to have a different perception on the Wii U versions controls though (not to say that your lying mind you!). So i wonder which one's impression is more grounded.

Very interesting, Masterofnone seems to have a different perception on the Wii U versions controls though (not to say that your lying mind you!). So i wonder which one's impression is more grounded.

Yours (to you) when you get the chance to play it ;D

Controls for me personally are an interesting topic.  If I feel that overall the game is fun and has a lot to offer in terms of various other elements I can generally get past awkward controls schemes (I can't really get past 06's controls because the rest of the game is such shit that trying to get used to the controls feels so not worthwhile).  Kid Icarus Uprising remains to be my 2nd favourite (just below FE Awakening) despite it's awkward and at times uncomfortable controls because of its action packed, fast paced gameplay and plethora of content.  Unless the controls are flat out broken they usually don't bother me personally.   

• Thumbs Up 1

Controls for me personally are an interesting topic.  If I feel that overall the game is fun and has a lot to offer in terms of various other elements I can generally get past awkward controls schemes (I can't really get past 06's controls because the rest of the game is such shit that trying to get used to the controls feels so not worthwhile).  Kid Icarus Uprising remains to be my 2nd favourite (just below FE Awakening) despite it's awkward and at times uncomfortable controls because of its action packed, fast paced gameplay and plethora of content.  Unless the controls are flat out broken they usually don't bother me personally.   

Well. to me personally the rest is perfectly fine (keep in mind we were only aloud to play 1 level in the demo so I can't say anything for all of them).  The annoying part for me is that I really want to like the concept of this game.  But besides the announcement trailer which got me excited for it at first nothing is really appealing me towards this game.  So forgive me if I was too critical towards my views on this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

So they refined Sonic controls and speed since the first demo? Well I guess that's good, when I played it in SDCC he wasn't as precise as I wanted him to be.

If I remember correctly, he only does this when you target all enemies at once. If you don't do this you can pretty much use the homing attack like in previous games.

Well. to me personally the rest is perfectly fine (keep in mind we were only aloud to play 1 level in the demo so I can't say anything for all of them).  The annoying part for me is that I really want to like the concept of this game.  But besides the announcement trailer which got me excited for it at first nothing is really appealing me towards this game.  So forgive me if I was too critical towards my views on this game.

Don't worry about it sir, my comment wasn't really targetted at anyone.  Was merely expressing how I feel.  Heck if anything your opinion on this game so far has more validity than mine simply because you've had the chance to at least play it.  I don't think you're being too critical and if you don't like the game don't try to force yourself to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a question, which level did you play?

Also if this controls as tight as Sonic 06 I would consider that a positive. Sonic's controls outside of the mach speed was 10x better than the ice skating we got in StH and to a lesser extent Heroes. Sonic 06 controlled like SA2 but with 3x the glitches and the stupid design choices. I would love it if Lost World was like that but faster.

Eh... being too precise with controls would be a bad thing imo. It would be hard to get used to.

But dat trailer mang. Dat trailer. The only thing I can say to that, is BITCHIN'.  I'm really lovin this music! Sounds like a boss to me.

Now I really want a Wii U, because these levels look fantastic! I'm not the biggest fan of the art style, but hot damn does it look great here. Especially in Silent Forest.

Desert Ruins looks pretty cool too, but now I'm just a tad bit worried for the 3DS version. Did it change at all from the E3 build Master?