Awoo.

Nintendo to collect ad revenue on LP's of their games from Youtube partners

Chaos Warp

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/16/nintendo-enforces-copyright-on-youtube-lets-plays#disqus_thread

Nintendo has started claiming ad revenue on user-created Youtube videos featuring its games, according to reports from Youtube users.

Nintendo does not want to block videos containing content that it owns from appearing on Youtube (as many film and music publishers have), but it wants to place ads at the beginning and the end of videos featuring Nintendo games, such as Let's Plays, with that revenue going to Nintendo as opposed to the creator of the video.

Prolific Youtube channel owner Zack Scott has posted on Facebook about the demands. "I think filing claims against LPers is backwards," he writes. "Video games aren't like movies or TV. Each play-through is a unique audiovisual experience. When I see a film that someone else is also watching, I don't need to see it again. When I see a game that someone else is playing, I want to play that game for myself! Sure, there may be some people who watch games rather than play them, but are those people even gamers?"

Nintendo has issued the following statement to GameFront on the matter: "As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a Youtube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the Youtube database.

Unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property.

"For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on Youtube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property."

Nintendo's right to protect its copyright is enshrined both in law and in Youtube'scopyright guidelines, which state that just because you purchase something, it doesn't mean that you have the right to upload it. But this sets an uncomfortable precedent for Youtubers who make their living from Let's Plays and other self-created game content: they are now unlikely to feature Nintendo games, and if other publishers were to follow suit it would be a monumental shake-up.

Well I'm sort of okay with this (It IS their content after all, and it's better then them outright blocking it), I think that this should only apply to new partners LP'ing Nintendo games, not to old partners who make their living off of Lp'ing and play tons of Nintendo game such as Chuugaconroy and the AVGN (although he's not really an LP'er, there's lots of Nintendo stuff in his videos). This has the potential to fuck their entire lives over. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did something similar with the Share thing on the PS4 either. And honestly, if you only LP for money, somethings wrong. Pokecapn and his crew are my favorite group of LPers but they don't get paid for it to my knowledge.

Also, I believe that any videos that are shorter than 10 minutes still are allowed to get money.

Edited by PSI Aqua

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did something similar with the Share thing on the PS4 either. And honestly, if you only LP for money, somethings wrong. Pokecapn and his crew are my favorite group of LPers but they don't get paid for it to my knowledge.

It is not possible to get paid for doing what you love though? I wound't say people like Chugga do it just for money, but his entire life might be fucked by this. 

It is not possible to get paid for doing what you love though? I wound't say people like Chugga do it just for money, but his entire life might be fucked by this. 

You sure Chugga doesn't just do it for a bit extra money? 

Also, here's one LPers view on it.

Also, just checked Chugga's twitter and he says this won't affect him in terms of making videos. He won't stop making videos, so no, his life isn't fucked up by this.

Edited by PSI Aqua

You sure Chugga doesn't just do it for a bit extra money? 

Also, here's one LPers view on it.

I'm not sure, all I know is that he's very popluar and is probably getting a good amount of money, which may or may not be a big part of how he survives. 

Oh, saw your edit. Never mind my Chugaconroy post then. 

I personally believe that you should make money from YouTube videos only as a means of a hobby...there are tons of YouTubers who monetize their videos AND also have an outside job. They are not necessarily LP'ers but they still monetize their videos.

If I get partnered then that is what I'm gonna end up doing. I love making videos and I think that this would be a great way to gain extra money to pay my Uni bills in the future.

Edited by KrazyBean

I don't think Chuggaa is going to be screwed over because of this. He also has plenty of videos that are under 10 minutes, so he's still going to be getting money. But you honestly shouldn't make a job out of something as legally flimsy as LPing.

People are over-reacting right now. It could have been so much worse.

I don't think Chuggaa is going to be screwed over because of this. He also has plenty of videos that are under 10 minutes, so he's still going to be getting money. But you honestly shouldn't make a job out of something as legally flimsy as LPing.

People are over-reacting right now. It could have been so much worse.

You know, just because something isn't EA level stupid doesn't mean it's not dumb anyway. 

Now, if Nintendo was taking away money from any length, I'd have a problem with this, but they're not.

Now, if Nintendo was taking away money from any length, I'd have a problem with this, but they're not.

So wait, the people making the videos will still get ad revenue, just Nintendo gets some also? I understood that the Nintendo ads would take away all the user's revenue. 

So wait, the people making the videos will still get ad revenue, just Nintendo gets some also? I understood that the Nintendo ads would take away all the user's revenue. 

No no. Only videos over 10 minutes will be affected. You make videos 10 minutes or shorter, you'll still get money for it.

No no. Only videos over 10 minutes will be affected. You make videos 10 minutes or shorter, you'll still get money for it.

Oh.

Well time for 30 part LP's to double the part amount I suppose.............

@Generations

"You know, just because something isn't EA level stupid doesn't mean it's not dumb anyway."

But this isn't even dumb. It's within their right to do this and it's not like they're stopping people from Let's Playing their games. Something like this was BOUND to happen eventually and I'm glad they didn't just cock-block videos of their games.

And I just read on NeoGAF that Sony has done this before with Heavy Rain and a few other games. Why didn't anyone complain about that?

@Generations

"You know, just because something isn't EA level stupid doesn't mean it's not dumb anyway."

But this isn't even dumb. It's within their right to do this and it's not like they're stopping people from Let's Playing their games. Something like this was BOUND to happen eventually and I'm glad they didn't just cock-block videos of their games.

I suppose, and I suppose there's also a way around it with the under 10 minutes rule so it's okay. 

Why does Nintendo need to be greedy though? It may be within their right, but they already have oodles of money and LP's are like free advertising for them anyway so where's the need to go farther? 

@PSI Aqua

No one complained because barely anyone plays non-Nintendo games. Unless it's a PS1 or PS2 game, it's most likely not going to be LP'd by someone popular. The LP scene is dominated by Nintendo fans.

@Generations

Why does Nintendo need to be greedy? Because when they stop being greedy, they start bleeding money. Simple capitalism.

@Generations

Why does Nintendo need to be greedy? Because when they stop being greedy, they start bleeding money. Simple capitalism.

I'm pretty sure they won't bleed money from not doing this. 

I'm pretty sure they won't bleed money from not doing this. 

Yeah, but it helps them ensure they still have cash to do shit.

Yeah, but it helps them ensure they still have cash to do shit.

They'll always have cash to do shit. They're Nintendo, they would need like 30 Gamecube level financials failures to even remotely start running out of money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see much of a problem, Nintendo are just making a quick buck off of their own stuff and LPers can simply shorten their videos to under 10 minutes (if that's even necessary) if they need the cash. Neither side is too heavily hindered and both have the oppurtunity of making a profit.

So, what's the issue?

Edited by Panda Cero

They'll always have cash to do shit. They're Nintendo, they would need like 30 Gamecube level financials failures to even remotely start running out of money. 

There's a difference between having enough money and having more than enough money.  I think this is a very reasonable move from Nintendo.  If someone said every Nintendo game could have even a 1% increase in budget due to the money gained here, I'd say hell yeah you take that 1% and make those games 1% more awesome.

Edited by JezMM

There's a difference between having enough money and having more than enough money.  I think this is a very reasonable move from Nintendo.  If someone said every Nintendo game could have even a 1% increase in budget due to the money gained here, I'd say hell yeah you take that 1% and make those games 1% more awesome.

But Nintendo, at this point, has WAYYYYYYYYYY more money then they will ever need to make their AAA titles incredible. My point still stands.

I don't honestly disagree with Nintendo. Other companies have done far worse getting videos taken down and accounts terminated (Hello Sega) and I think Nintendo's idea to keep the content available while still claiming some of the ad revenue makes a lot of sense.

I have nothing against people making money on Youtube (heck between four channels I bring in a nice bit of extra money) and I fully support people earning money from ads.

What I'm not clear on is if all the ad money is taken away from the LPer or if Nintendo only takes some of it. If the first that's really too bad and if the latter I think that's a good solution.

The fact is something was bound to happen sooner or later and Nintendo can set a precedent of not simply removing videos and that's a big deal.

Edited by SkyLlama

I don't honestly disagree with Nintendo. Other companies have done far worse getting videos taken down and accounts terminated (Hello Sega) and I think Nintendo's idea to keep the content available while still claiming some of the ad revenue makes a lot of sense.

I have nothing against people making money on Youtube (heck between four channels I bring in a nice bit of extra money) and I fully support people earning money from ads.

What I'm not clear on is if all the ad money is taken away from the LPer or if Nintendo only takes some of it. If the first that's really too bad and if the latter I think that's a good solution.

If your video is over 10 minutes, you get NO money and Nintendo takes all of it.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, SSMB.