Awoo.

A policy question regarding usernames that are based off political figures/celebrities

Mando-Whirl-Wind

Ok, so I have a question for the Staff and moderators about an issue that has been an issue and has popped up every once awhile: Users taking on usernames that are based off political figures(or in one or two cases celeberties) and then roleplaying and generaly end up causing issues over political arguements. A big example is the whole Obama/Romney/Palin fiasco of a couple months back, which is rearing its ugly head again with a new member who are calling themself obama, and starting up another thread that could cause uneeded tension

Might it be possible for us to put a advisory in effect against Such usernames, and generaly banning or at least putting down restrictions that would keep it from devolving into trouble?

If so we can discuss such actions here.

Banning such members solves individual problems, but does not cut it out at the root of the problem

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm pretty sure this is exactly the same person. I don't think the problem was specifically the names themselves, but that the roleplaying was getting disruptive around the forums. Also they were all owned by the same person (which is against the rules) and that person ended up being a troll (also against the rules). I mean, it's not uncommon for members here to roleplay with display names, but it's usually confined to the statuses rather than bleeding over into the forums and becoming disruptive. That's how I see it anyway; obviously I don't speak for the SSMB staff in any way smile.png

EDIT: And I just realized that technically I may be kinda breaking the rule on discussing banned members. Sorry about that.

Edited by Frogging101

I am not against people doing it in status's, its when they do it from the outset, with their sole purpose to do that sorta role-playing which generaly tends to cause trouble. I mean sure, there might be a mishap by someone who does it straight-off, but whats the likelyhood of an actual politician or celeb coming on here using their actual names? very small. Its just something to consider, and I dont want a repeat of previous Fiascos.

Just put a username restriction in place, like I'm pretty sure you can't have "Sonic" as a username due to all the people joining up being called Sonic, or "Sonic's No.1 fan" etc.

just extend this to rule to "Obama, Mitt/Romney and Palin"