Awoo.

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

I don't understand why this even exists. The news came out of nowhere one day without a bit of anticipation and it looked lacklustre from that day on. There was little different about this and the older games, and the graphics looked ugly.

Honestly I have no idea why it was made or why it was given to the people behind the NSMB series, but damn if this doesn't make Miyamoto sound like a hypocrite with that innovation comment about F-Zero.

Yeah, it makes me wonder if nintendo is silently trying to retire some of their older franchises.

The fact this game doesn't even have off screen hit detection proves this game is awful for everything it stands for. Even the original had THAT 20 odd years ago, they just didn't even try with this game, no wonder we seen barely any footage on it.

Seriously what were they thinking!?

• Thumbs Up 5

I want to pin everything on Arzest.  I want to say that by the time Tezuka and even the NSMB developers were brought in, it was already unsalvageable.  I want to... but surely Nintendo were keeping a close eye on this project?  It's not like Artoon's Yoshi's Island DS is terribly well-regarded, so surely they wouldn't have just let Arzest do what they wanted without peeking until it was 90% finished?

This plays right into my narrative of Nintendo being in a desperately conservative phase of shunning all new ideas and sticking with every old idea that worked - with remaking old games with newer graphics and nothing else - with coasting on past glory rather than taking any risks - with critically misunderstanding the market.  I don't want it to be true, but games like this can only convince people that it totally is.

Yeah, it makes me wonder if nintendo is silently trying to retire some of their older franchises.

Why is Yoshi's Island even a franchise, though?  One years-later sequel is an experiment, but why would they make another one after that if they weren't trying to create franchises rather than destroy them?  Meanwhile, actual franchises which people love, like Metroid, are silently dropped rather than square up to the criticism.

• Thumbs Up 1

*Annoyance at comment*

Ehehe. I guess you have a point there. It just is hard not to compare it to it. The NSMB games definitely had more innovation than this for sure, despite their tendency to reuse certain tropes.

JezMM, I totally agree with you!

Why do people constantly compare this to the NSMB games? This is nothing and I mean nothing like those games! The music is better, the graphics look better, the power ups and boss battles are better and the level design is NOT boring and is very creative and surprisingly challenging at times. I'm not a big fan of those games, but I can honestly say that NSMBU is the best one of the whole series and every. Single. One of them is better than this shite!   

I want to pin everything on Arzest.  I want to say that by the time Tezuka and even the NSMB developers were brought in, it was already unsalvageable.  I want to... but surely Nintendo were keeping a close eye on this project?  It's not like Artoon's Yoshi's Island DS is terribly well-regarded, so surely they wouldn't have just let Arzest do what they wanted without peeking until it was 90% finished?

That's funny because I can remember Yoshi's Island DS getting a 80 score from ONM, even a bit higher than that. Think they'll do the same with this mediocre game? 

edit: Unless you mean general opinion? Then yah, I see what you mean.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I feel like Nintendo is no less guilty than Arzest here.  I don't even understand why they let them make another one after the first was so lukewarmly received.  I guess it sold well regardless?

I just really -really- hope it wasn't as bad as something like Arzest TRIED to be creative and add new concepts, but Nintendo were like "no you did that last time with multiple babies and people didn't like it, stick to the formula".  Coz then I'd shift the blame more onto Nintendo than Arzest.  If this game is enjoyable despite the unoriginality, then THAT if anything could be the NSMB team's efforts.  While NSMB through to NSMBU mostly used new concepts on levels, New Super Luigi U proved that the team is very good at making interesting new designs with recycled concepts (since a good 50% of Luigi's levels took level hazards/gimmicks from NSMBU and pushed the challenge up to 11).

Either way I'm just... you know how hard it hits when a character in a movie doesn't even get angry at someone?  They just shake their head and walk away and it's all the worse for it?  That's kind of me to Nintendo right now.  I'm just so... disappointed in them.  NSMB2 was kind of "filler" compared to NSMBU in the same way maybe this is meant to be to Yarn Yoshi but it was still well designed and gave me hours of fun.  Here's hoping Yarn Yoshi will ease the pain, but the pain shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just really -really- hope it wasn't as bad as something like Arzest TRIED to be creative and add new concepts, but Nintendo were like "no you did that last time with multiple babies and people didn't like it, stick to the formula".  Coz then I'd shift the blame more onto Nintendo than Arzest.

Oh, wow.  I hadn't even considered that, but wouldn't that be hilarious?  I don't think it's true, because this game honestly looks like it was commissioned without anyone having the slightest semblance of a new idea... but it fits the pattern, doesn't it?  Just like Paper Mario: Sticker Star.  Apparently there's like one new enemy in the whole game.  Hey, apparently the Fuzzies aren't in this game either, and I bet Nintendo are so cautious right now that they took them out because everyone compares them to drug influence.

The reviews are in!

IGN - 7.9

NintendoLife - 5/10

EDGE - 4/10

ScrewAttack - 5.5/10

CVG - 6/10

GameSpot - 5/10

GameTrailers - 7.8

Destructoid - 7/10

Eurogamer - 4/10

Joystiq - 4/5

The Escapist - 3/5

Metro - 4/10

NintendoInsider - 7/10

Polygon - 7.5

DigitalSpy - 3/5

Giant Bomb - 3/5

VentureBeat - 70/100

KillScreen - 74/100

GameXplain - 4/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFNTivPnDMU

(will edit more in as they are published)

Looks like I was pretty bang on when I made this picture...

Ber9ZbcCYAAhYZ0.jpg

There are some ridiculously low scores in there but otherwise the general spectrum things says that it's okay? I never really got why people gave games like this 4s and 5s out of 10.

I get kind of tired of the mentality that everything below an 8 out of 10 is garbage. One of my absolute favorite games of last year got a fucking 6 out of 10 from IGN.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh wow, those scores are lower than I expected them to be.

I mean, I expected some 5s and 6s, but daaaaaaaaaaang, son.

Really?  I expected lower than this across the board.  7's a good score, I expected less.

I guess you can't argue with competency, no matter how uninspired it is.

• Thumbs Up 7

Even with the one or two 7's in there, it seems to be a mediocre game still. Unless it's much cheaper later on, I'm going to skip this. Like I said before though, I've never been a huge fan of Yoshi games anyway so it don't bother me!

And so I return from a late lunch to find 1. the game getting a 4/10 from Eurogamer, and 2. an e-mail notification that my copy of the game has been dispatched.  Heck.  I was seriously contemplating cancelling my order and scouting around for an older game to get instead, but there's no going back now.

I think this is similar to what happened with Ryse last year. It got pretty bad reviews from almost every critic out there, but they kept the embargo until the very last minute so that anyone who pre ordered it already had the game shipped before those reviews came out.

And so I return from a late lunch to find 1. the game getting a 4/10 from Eurogamer, and 2. an e-mail notification that my copy of the game has been dispatched. Heck. I was seriously contemplating cancelling my order and scouting around for an older game to get instead, but there's no going back now.

Oh dear. D: Welp, hope you have some fun with the game!
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, Ryse looked like shit from the start. Anyone who preordered that has no one but themselves to blame.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think this is similar to what happened with Ryse last year. It got pretty bad reviews from almost every critic out there, but they kept the embargo until the very last minute so that anyone who pre ordered it already had the game shipped before those reviews came out.

Oh dear. D: Welp, hope you have some fun with the game!

Thanks.  I actually have a pretty high tolerance for anything that isn't genuinely unplayable, so while I'm happy to criticise away, while I think it should have been a better game, there's every chance of me enjoying it all the same.

Well, Ryse looked like shit from the start. Anyone who preordered that has no one but themselves to blame.

So did this, and yep, nobody to blame but myself.  And Arzest and Nintendo for making it, of course, but I can't say the advertising was deceptive.

Let's be fair, Ryse didn't look even half as bad as this shit.

The review scores seem all over the place, akin to Sonic Lost World in fact. I didn't contemplate on getting this game day one anyway, but I would like to hear impressions from people across this board so I'll keep an eye on this topic. I'll probably grab a copy of this game much later on and most likely for a cheaper price.

Let's be fair, Ryse didn't look even half as bad as this shit.

Was Ryse even a game or a movie that you needed a controller to watch?

I think this game looks like shit to, but at least you actually have to play it. QTE's are a fucking shitstain of game design.

The impression I'm getting here from the scores is that it's a game that favors in above average approval since I'm seeing more 7's than anything.  It may not be lighting up websites with 9's and perfect scores, but it's in no way unanimously received as a hellstorm of crap and garbage either.

I'm still planning on getting the game, but I'm going to read through all these reviews to see what exactly pops out as good or bad. From what I read so far, The soundtrack, while having some catchy songs, drones on and on -- and calling the game Yoshi's "New" Island was pushing it a bit. *continues reading*

So, Bowser, in his endless journey to defeat the Mario Bros, swiped the Time Stones and went back in time to finish the job before it started. Seems legit.

Seriously, I still want to try this game out, but this? This is disappointing.

First he copied Eggman's idea of an Interstellar Amusement Park in 3D World, now he copied his idea of going back in time to kill his enemy when he was an infant. What's next?