Awoo.

Summer of Sonic 2013

Swiss

So it seems myself, Lucky, Kevin, Mizuki Moon, Delusphere, and Andy I (I believe that was your username?) are officially the Summer of Sonic gang according to reports of our invasion at TokyoToys earlier this evening...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=650094411676144&set=a.459058944113026.117440.454379014581019&type=1

(Also longtime friend and Sonicanime.net veteran Agent X who uhh... isn't even attending SoS but has a knack for photobombs what can I say).

I'd love to meet up with you lot if that's OK? Always wanted to meet Lucky and I'm already meeting-up with Mizuki and Kevin. It'd be my pleasure to meet your aquaintance biggrin.png

Well I'll be there tomorrow!  =O

Yep =D

I'm going by myself instead of with my friend this year and I felt lonely when the same happened during 2010's SoS. I'd like to make friends and feel like I belong with a group of friends =)

I'd love to meet up with you lot if that's OK? Always wanted to meet Lucky and I'm already meeting-up with Mizuki and Kevin. It'd be my pleasure to meet your aquaintance biggrin.png

Of course! You're more than welcome to join us!

Seeing all the above meetups makes me feel pretty happy. I'm glad to see that SoS does so much to not just celebrate Sonic's longevity, but also help ignite friendships and a sense of community to a degree not otherwise possible on most message boards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooo many mii's! The queue to Iizuka-san is sooo long. Bought the Sonic Generations soundtrack. Great day so far!

Just got back from the event and I had a great time! I didn't get anything signed unfortunately but oh well, it was just great to be there. I did see some members but I didn't approach them (I tried to get the attention of one member).

The members I saw:

JezMM: I saw him pretty much straight when I came in, seeing as he was wearing a shirt with his name plastered on it tongue.png. I was going to say hello but I couldn't work up the courage.

-Mark-: I saw Mark around the Lost World Wii U area before stalking watching him play Lost World on the 3DS before I played. I was going to say hello but I got nervous. tongue.png

Vertekins - I saw her looking into a mirror (I think it was a mirror) and tried to get her attention by shouting Vertekins but for some reason she didn't notice. tongue.png

All in all, was a great event and I had TONS of fun!

Oh, I played both versions of Lost World. The Wii U one is really good but the 3DS one is okay. Iizuka also said that if you own both versions that something will happen...

Edited by Crash

That was a fantastic stream to watch!

Virtual attendance is better than no attendance...

I'm really eager to see the trailer when it's released officially; the music alone sounded just awesome.

Excellent work on the Sonic Shorts of course!

While I don't like Metropolis Mayhem as much as Seaside Denied (clip with Eggman and Omachao is hilarious though), I'm still interested in seeing next year's sequel!

I envy the contest winner, that's going to be a pretty sweet statue, and I hope she cherishes it. smile.png

I envy the contest winner, that's going to be a pretty sweet statue, and I hope she cherishes it. smile.png

I thought that the Eggman and the Cubot should have one, but I digress. :P

The Cubot puppet was a pretty nice touch I will say.

Who were the guest singers who jumped in at the end of the concert? It was certainly a surprise; at first I thought it was Johnny Gioeli making a surprise appearance (because why not), but I was able to figure he wasn't afterward.

Lord Dreadknux may be retiring, but he got a good compensation for all his hard work, and the continued success of SoS (and Sonic Boom, which he's indirectly responsible for the birth of) is also a satisfying prize I'm sure! True immortality is being able to create something that outlasts your hand in it.

Just crossposting this here because there really isn't any other topic for it.

The Q&A with Iizuka in text, sort of paraphrased;

-Host asks about how SLW use the Wii U capabilities as well as other features, Iizuka says that they've made full of the gamepad for Wisps eg gyro for flight, touch for targeting. 3DS has 4P online, gyro level, secret feature if you have both versions (gadgets?).

-Host asks about the inspiration for SLW, Iizuka says that X-Treme is a co-incidence and the cylinder stage was made with innovation in mind.

-Host asks about favourite classic game, Iizuka says that the first game he worked on was Sonic 3, Sonic 2 is his favourite of the classics though.

-Host asks about considerations regarding the design of the Deadly Six, Iizuka says that they were designed with enemy variation in mind, based on Oni (Japanese demons). Recalls the SLW plot we already know about (ie Eggman being betrayed and teaming up with Sonic and the Zeti being from Lost Hex).

-Host asks about reviving any of the forgotten characters, Iizuka says that they are busy working on the revival of the IP, outright states they'd be renewed (as in treated as new characters without prior history) and not just transitioned back as if. No plans to bring them back at the moment. Iizuka himself seems to mention the Chaotix (as an example?), although the translator didn't.

-Host asks about other playable characters and which of that or sola Sonica he prefers, Iizuka says that they want to look at them in the future but building Sonic-only as a base for the time being so that they can get the gameplay down pat.

-Host asks about the possibility for other character spin-offs, Iizuka says that ShtH started on the premise of high-speed action with gun gameplay, then thinking that Sonic wasn't suitable for it so Shadow was given the role. It's possible if future game premises are suitable for another character more than Sonic.

-Host asks about fan feedback and influence, Iizuka says that Sonic 4 was always made with the premise of classic Sonic and their fans in mind, SLW based on feedback that said the prior gameplay was too fast and the old Sonic fans (so you can get both high speed and slower gameplay).

-Host asks about the making of Sonic Adventure featurette and what was most memorable about the location trips, Iizuka says that South American ruins and jungles were used as sensory guides since Japan has no such environments, some places were where Indiana Jones was shot (Lost World boulder chase inspired by that?), lots of elements (locations, a desert area with sand mountain [sand Hill in Adventure], names) inspired by it.

-Host asks about what Iizuka likes about SOS and favourite memories of it, Iizuka says that he likes that it's "for the fans, by the fans" so time at event is less limited than official SEGA events, the signing desk where he can meet the fans face to face.

-Host asks about how one could get into the video game industry, Iizuka says that it's actually not as hard as it used to be due to the increase of developers and platforms available, strive for excellence and be determined.

-Host asks about hopes and aspirations for future of Sonic, Iizuka says that "It's hard to say", continue making fun games and it would be great to see him in loads of different media (eg. comics, TV, films).

-Host asks about Iizuka's hobbies, Iizuka says that he doesn't really have time for his hobbies, but when he does he likes to spend time with his children, 10 year old son loves playing video games so plays games with him.

• Thumbs Up 6

The Cubot puppet was a pretty nice touch I will say.

Who were the guest singers who jumped in at the end of the concert? It was certainly a surprise; at first I thought it was Johnny Gioeli making a surprise appearance (because why not), but I was able to figure he wasn't afterward.

Lord Dreadknux may be retiring, but he got a good compensation for all his hard work, and the continued success of SoS (and Sonic Boom, which he's indirectly responsible for the birth of) is also a satisfying prize I'm sure! True immortality is being able to create something that outlasts your hand in it.

I believe that the man was the singer of Free but I'm not sure. As for the women, I'm pretty sure she was one of the staff. :P

I am not kidding. Today has got to have been the most amazing day I have had in such a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was one of those who watched (via The Sonic Show) and listened (via RadioSEGA) of the event. This was the third time I seen the event in this fashion and this was the best presentation yet. Nearly everything went smoothly with the video and audio; I did miss the Q&A and Sonic Shorts Vol. 8 though. Great job to the entire SoS staff for providing us with quality streaming of the event. Until next year, and by some shread of hope I can be there physically in the future. (I'm sure to be lost getting around though.)

I watched the stream from the Q&A before Iizuka's 'till the end. It was tons of fun (even if the signing sucked at the end lol), and it seemed like everyone there was having lots of fun too, which was cool. I think it's just great that all us Sonic fans have come together to create this great event, and I wish I could be there so badly, but I'm glad there's a stream so I can be involved in some form. BEHOLD THE LEGENDARY DONNIE. It was tons of fun and I hope to catch the full stream next year, and eventually come there myself to share the fun with all of you brits smile.png . 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Just arrived back in Belfast. SOS was awesome! Met all the guests and it was great. Saw some members about but I was nervous to say anything. xD 

Dear god it's hot in here!

I KNOW, RIGHT!??!? I spent so much in the cafe. I kept going down every so often to cool down.