Awoo.

LucasArts shut down. Star Wars 1313 & First Assault cancelled, 1313 originally Boba Fett game. Update Post #47

Badnik Mechanic

The entire 3rd party software publishing industry is hurting right now. THQ went under, SquareEnix's and EA's CEOs just stepped down and now LucasArts is being dissolved by Disney.

Sega is a publisher. Therefore I am on topic. Pointing out how much their decision to move away from retail publishing is saving them(their software division) from sharing the same fate.

So how is that off topic? 

It's off topic because the entire reason you posted it is because you want to push along your oft-repeated point about Sega's future rather than talk about anything to do with LucasArts; especially when Sega's circumstances have absolutely nothing to do with THQ's (a string of high-profile and expensive failures and failed publishing deals after years of just barely making money), SquareEnix's (their main franchise in the toilet and a string of games where they dramatically oversold the significance to investors), EA's (where their main franchises are oversold and their turnaround plans have been disaster after disaster with a horrible public image problem) or LucasArts (who have had no creative direction since 2005 and a revolving door of increasingly inept brand managers, only to all be replaced by a company who has little patience for any of it).

It's no different than if you were to enter a topic about Abortion, see someone explaining why it's against their personal religious beliefs, and use that as a justification to talk about Gay Marriage.

• Thumbs Up 8

Gosh, I'm so annoyed by this news! Disney better have a back-up plan (and no I don't mean putting Darth Vader (and Iron Man) in Disney Infinity).

Rather bummed that this news probably means that any little chance we had of LucasArts finally getting around to re-releasing some of their older adventure games such as Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Day of the Tentacle are now out the window (not that I was counting on them to do so). With any luck, maybe some of their rights will transfer to other companies. I can see Monkey Island and Sam & Max: Hit the Road going to Telltale, though I doubt they would do anything with the latter.

Actually, I disagree with that. I think Disney is more likely to utilize those properties under a "regular" Disney publishing avenue than LucasArts ever would have nowadays. Even if it means just rereleasing the classic titles.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if this move might actually make the resurrection of certain Star Wars franchises (Battlefront et al) more likely now than under LA's auspices?

• Thumbs Up 3

Does this mean that the SNES Star Wars games are being pulled from the Wii Shop Channel?

So as someone who never gave a shit about Lucasarts, what games did they make in the past?

Aside from Star Wars and Indiana Jones licensed games, they were Sierra's main competitor (developer for games like King's Quest and Leisure Suit Larry) in the adventure game department. Maniac Mansion basically brought about an entire era of adventure games separate from the design philosophy of King's Quest. Tim Schafer got his footing in LucasArts before going on to found Double Fine, working on games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

This is all you need to know.

Very sad to hear this but not surprised at all since LucasArts hasn't been doing too great since, as others have said, Battlefront II. I'm still waiting for that third Battlefront you know!

But yeah, with stuff like Force Unleashed 1 & 2 (which were meh) and that cringe-worthy Star Wars Kinect it's no wonder they had to close down. =[

You will never get to play this game =(

Well, actually...

There may be hope for Star Wars 1313, as the representative told the site that it is looking for external partners to help bring the game to market, though nothing as yet to be confirmed.

"It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production… They're evaluating everything. There's always a possibility that it [star Wars 1313] can still come out via licensing."

Star Wars 1313 was going to be a Boba Fett game.

This happened last May. Star Wars creator George Lucas looked at 1313—which at that point had been scrapped and refocused multiple times—and told the team he wanted it to be about Boba Fett, the mercenary whose origins as a clone were revealed in the Star Wars prequel movies.

k-bigpicngqdv.png

originalz9rht.png

This change happened before the game was actually shown. In other words, the footage that exists wasn't from the game. Technically.

• Thumbs Up 2

Always sad to see a studio closing, esp. one I grew with.

Granted they turned into a Star Wars factory and I stopped giving a shit about them, but the nostalgia factor kicks in hard. Even if they weren't ever gonna do fantastic adventure games anymore regardless.

So as someone who never gave a shit about Lucasarts, what games did they make in the past?

Ignorance is bliss here.

Edited by Dobkeratops

I really hope Telltale buy Monkey Island. Didn't they show interest in obtaining the rights before?

So I guess I can now give up hope of there ever being a Battlefront III as well as a potential re-release of the first two games.sad.png

So far the buyout has yet to yield anything positive other than a new Movie at least from what I have seen so far?

I wonder if we will still see Star Wars based games again?

Hopefully nothing like Star Wars: Kinect! dry.png

Please no more dancing Palpatine! sleep.png

Are people still hung up over this?

Get over it, people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuJXaVrvpXE

Because when you think Star Wars... this is what you want to do... right?

Get over it, people.

You see... I've seen this a lot over the last day, what I don't think the people realise who say this is that, you have a franchise called Star Wars, which has lots of sci fi, humor, danger and imagination.

And they made a dance game...

Why do some people don't see a problem with this? People who like Star Wars games do not buy them hoping "OH MY GOD! I HOPE I CAN DANCE IN THIS!"

No, we buy them because we want to feel/pretend we're inside the movies. I wanna feel like I'm flying X-Wings, or speeders, or having a duel against an alien assasin. Or shooting robots as the base around me slowly starts to explode.

Never in my life have I ever watched a Star Wars film and said 'Oh man, I sure wish I could play as Darth Vader and body pop.

Don't you understand, time, money, and Battlefront 3 were wasted because some higher up made a collossal failure in understanding their own market and franchise. And it's not like this was a one off. The Force Unleashed... ok the first one was a nice idea but not that great... it gets a sequel... why!? It totally undermines the original and wasn't that great either. And you can keep going back through Lucus Arts history and keep pulling out amazingly terrible ideas which havn't done it any favours at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get over it, people.

To be honest find it both funny and stupid but my initial reaction was what the fuck? Also apparently it is one of only parts of Star Wars Kinect that works really well and that's sad because the main attraction of the game was the ability to kinect wield a Lightsaber and that doesn't work nowhere near as the Dancing segment of the game does.

If you mean Battlefront III then no I am still pissed that Battlefront III never came to be and probably never will.sleep.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuJXaVrvpXE

Because when you think Star Wars... this is what you want to do... right?

*Sings* It was great to be in Empire today *gets killed on the Death Star*. tongue.png

Edited by BW199148

I've just seen how people have said they didn't like it since it was so silly and didn't take it seriously.

To the Boba Fett game: In the second picture you can see C-21 Highsinger from Clone Wars. He worked with Boba there, too. Though, he looks a bit different here. He could've been modified.

Boba's armor is also the same as the guy we saw in the 1313 trailers. Adding to that, the developers said the mode and character weren't final.

Really sad to see it go. They said there's a chance that Disney could give it to a different studio, so I have a little of that.

Edited by MarcelloF

But LucasArts didn't develop Kinect Star Wars......

Edited by PSI Aqua

But LucasArts didn't develop Kinect Star Wars......

Same could be said of EA but they still published it and gave it their seal of approval! sleep.png

Studio shuts down...

Ex-Devs start leaking cancelled game info...

Circle of life, goes on.

Battlefield 3 footage has been leaked out. Shows what was the most recent build of the game, lots of action, if no sound.

Edit: Should clarify.

This game was called 'Star Wars Version Two' only it was going to be turned into Battlefield 3, but that never happened.

did you hear, obsidian brought forward 3 game proposals to Disney/SW licensing(LA zombie), something interesting may result of this

• 4 weeks later...

"But how will I play future shitty Star Wars Dance games if LucasArts is gone?" you may be asking.

Well:

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Linky.

WTF. Didn't expect that. I figured Disney would have partnered with one of the companies they traditionally partnered with the release Disney videogames.

If they can get DICE working on a new Battlefront game, Visceral working on a Boba Fett game and Criterion working on a new Pod Racer, I will be very happy with this move.

• Thumbs Up 5