Awoo.

So how long has Tails been an inventor/mechanic for?

Badnik Mechanic

I wouldn't mind if they downplayed Tails' mechanical ability in the future. Liking machines and flying an airplane is one thing, stuff like the Miles Electric is another. It's like they took the concept of Tails working with machines as a hobby, and inflated it to the point that he's essentially a vulpine Eggman wannabe. Long story short, if they could retcon Tails from being a genius to just being above-average, I'd be happy.

Well Tails didn't have much niche prior to being mechanic sooo, don't really know what he can contribute that Sonic can't do.

I didn't say he couldn't be a mechanic. My problem lies with the fact that his hobby was blown out of proportion and now defines him.

I wouldn't mind if they downplayed Tails' mechanical ability in the future. Liking machines and flying an airplane is one thing, stuff like the Miles Electric is another. It's like they took the concept of Tails working with machines as a hobby, and inflated it to the point that he's essentially a vulpine Eggman wannabe. Long story short, if they could retcon Tails from being a genius to just being above-average, I'd be happy.

I'd hate for him to just be above average. I prefer Tails with his IQ of 300-400.

Does Tails absolutely have to be a genius? Sure, he can fly the Tornado and work with machines, but he doesn't need that high of an IQ for that. All he really needs is a bit of skill and a passion for what he does. In fact, wouldn't it be more impressive if he built something cool without having genius IQ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well Tails didn't have much niche prior to being mechanic sooo, don't really know what he can contribute that Sonic can't do.

Well there's this thing he does with his butt...

• Thumbs Up 2

It'd be kind of weird to go back to it after becoming the hero side's resident genius, but I can see the appeal of a smart-but-not-genius Tails.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well there's this thing he does with his butt...

Well are we talking personality or abilities? If the latter, then yea I agree.

I never really got "genius" from Tails, mostly because his accomplishments are nowhere near the level of Eggman. I always just saw him as a person who just happened to be pretty good with mechanics. That said, I do wish there was more about him focused than simply being the smart guy. 

I never really got "genius" from Tails, mostly because his accomplishments are nowhere near the level of Eggman. I always just saw him as a person who just happened to be pretty good with mechanics.

He made a fake chaos emerald, a transforming plane/mech, a hoverboard, a rocket ship, an alien language translator, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Kid's a bit more than just a tinkerer.

He made a fake chaos emerald, a transforming plane/mech, a hoverboard, a rocket ship, an alien language translator, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Kid's a bit more than just a tinkerer.

True, but Eggman's done far more than simply make a few modifications here and there. I never said Tails is just a tinkerer, but he's clearly no genius when compared to Eggman.

True, but Eggman's done far more than simply make a few modifications here and there. I never said Tails is just a tinkerer, but he's clearly no genius when compared to Eggman.

It's been stated that Tails' intellect rivals Eggman's but he has yet to reach his full potential.

It's been stated that Tails' intellect rivals Eggman's but he has yet to reach his full potential.

Well saying something, and doing something are two different things. Tails hasn't really done anything to have me believe this so...

Well saying something, and doing something are two different things. Tails hasn't really done anything to have me believe this so...

Oh ok, so someone with above average intelligence can easily make a fake chaos emerald that can actually be used like an actual emerald to warp time and space. As well as make fake rings.

Keep in mind that Tails is 8. Even if IQ is (usually) about the same throughout a person's lifetime, they still get smarter as they get older. Tails' IQ might rival Eggman's, but it won't show until Tails is matured.

(which will never happen and that's fine)

• Thumbs Up 2

I seriously fail to see how Tails is anything less than a prodigy.  As others have stated, he's made a fake Chaos Emerald with completely identical properties and abilities, in addition to being able to build, engineer, and modify a variety of vehicles, as well as build a device which translates alien languages. (Granted at the beginning, it works like Google Translate, but it still works)  As superLink has suggested, if he is any lower than Eggman in terms of intellect, it's the result of a difference in maturity than anything.  He is a child, after all, and is in the phase of experiencing the world for the first time.

That's sort of what gets me about his appearances after SA1.  In SA2 and onwards, he starts acting a little too mature.  Not like an adult, but not like a kid.  He seems a little too much on the same page as Sonic and the others, so there's no "big brother, little brother" feeling in their communication.  Granted, I know that there are all different ways that siblings can communicate, and Sonic and Tails making exchanging snarky remarks was definitely a step in the right direction.  But I'd still like to see Tails retain his youthful presence.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the argument is less "Tails is a genius" and more "Tails is a genius, and that's all there is to him". Which isn't wrong, there are times when he's nothing more than a tool kit. I dunno, I can understand the appeal of Tails having some childish traits to broaden his character, but I always loved the irony that the youngest of the heroes just happens to be among the most mature. 

Maybe there's a happy medium; Tails can retain his intellect, but have a simpler, childish view of things(For example, most of his inventions would be childish in nature and appearance) but this at times makes him seem more insightful than the Heroes without actually being so.

• Thumbs Up 2

You mean the robo in Tail's adventure, that looks like a cross between him and a dog?

I think the argument is less "Tails is a genius" and more "Tails is a genius, and that's all there is to him". Which isn't wrong, there are times when he's nothing more than a tool kit. I dunno, I can understand the appeal of Tails having some childish traits to broaden his character, but I always loved the irony that the youngest of the heroes just happens to be among the most mature. 

Maybe there's a happy medium; Tails can retain his intellect, but have a simpler, childish view of things(For example, most of his inventions would be childish in nature and appearance) but this at times makes him seem more insightful than the Heroes without actually being so.

Oh, I guess I missed the point.  I'll agree to that, though.  He hasn't had any sort of significant gameplay since SA2, and even then he was confined to a mecha.  It would be cool to see him have gameplay similar to SA1 in nature while having a few of his inventions featured as additional mechanics.

While I do see your point in the irony being enjoyable, I think there's a way to depict that without making him a complete adult.  I think you have the right idea, though, with Tails keeping his intellect, but having a childish view as well as his inventions having a somewhat childish appearance.  That would be adorable, for one.  Second, it would make way for some interesting moments of character development...

...that Sega would more than likely never even touch upon.

Edited by Akito

Well, I can't give a specific date, but I can say before he met Sonic.

There's a Sonic X episode of Tails telling how he met Sonic, he was always teased for having 2 tails, and for his inventions.

He saw Sonic one day, and followed him, eventually they became friends. 

While I can't give an exact date or anything, all I can really say is before he met Sonic. 

I like the idea of balancing Tails' intellect with a childish personality. Maybe he could be established as a savant or something. He can still be really good at engineering, but would design things that reflect his youth. I can honestly say that I don't want to see anything like his mech in SA2 again.

Maybe there's a happy medium; Tails can retain his intellect, but have a simpler, childish view of things(For example, most of his inventions would be childish in nature and appearance)

In Sonic Battle, his "invention" weapons are...

1. Electric arm cannon(Could be taken as childish fandom of such things if laser weaponry weren't so common in the game world, but, well, it is)
  2. A cartoony spring loaded boxing glove, both from a hole in the ground and on his fist
  3. A big cartoony white glove flicking opponents into the air
  4. A bomb designed like a Chu Chu, a cute white mouse.

That sounds somewhat in that direction, right?

What about his bath-toy mobile in Sonic and Sega: All Stars Racing? Would that count?

I like him as the brains of the operation, while Knuckles is the brawn.

As for expanding his role beyond the mechanic one, I think that was one of Sonic 4's better qualities. It actually showed him getting his hands dirty with Sonic for once rather than just sitting back engaging in technobabble. Tails really needs to demonstrate that he can fight and hold his own in the field, it's just he normally has Sonic and Knuckles doing that for him, letting him focus on technology. If Sonic were to be incapacitated for a moment, it really would show his ability to shine, like he did in Sonic Adventure.

I'd like it if perhaps they "toned down" the genius side of things a bit. Keep him a technolgical whizz, but not nessicarilly a full-blown genius. Maybe make it so he customises planes, not creates them from stratch. I kinda liked it when the tornado was Sonic's plane, but he let Tails fly it and maintain it because he realised how smart and mechianically gifted Tails was. It was a cute bond and sign of friendship.

I'd also perhaps like to see him geek out about a few things, like maybe "Oh wow! The Wright Flyer! The first plane to fly, EVER! COOL!"

Also maybe maybe mix in some of his more childish moments. This scene from futurama immediately springs to mind:

Cubert: Hey, Leela, help me apply these flame decals I got in my cereal; they'll make the ship go faster!
Leela: And what's your scientific basis for thinking that?
Cubert: I'm twelve.

If we must have tails remain a child-prodigy, at least have someone reconise it and acknowagle it. Like, maybe have him work in an academy, and they could fund his projects like building the tornado or sciencific research. Heck, it'd be a good excuse to bring Pickle back as an eccentric mentor figure...

I'd be happy if they made him (and Eggman to a lesser extent) a technical genius rather than a walking problem solver. That seems more plausible anyway than how they usually present intelligence in the series.