Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

You've heard the proper reason, you just chose to ignore it and instead see them as some sort of mafia.

Sigh.. No. You got it all wrong.

...whatever. If you can't wait to spend your money, that's your decision.

Then what's the case huh? I've yet to hear the proper reason for all this crazy hype.

Do you honestly think I can just flat out say it?

Looking forward to this.

For Sonic 1, I'm hoping there's a Spin Dash mode like in Sonic Jam and maybe add Tails and/or Knuckles as playable characters for the hell of it. Playable Super Sonic, if possible, would be great as well.

For the Sonic 2 port, I'm hoping Taxman gives Tails the ability to fly instead of him just being a re-skin of Sonic, and have Super Sonic's transformation moved to a separate button like recent titles. Knuckles in Sonic 2 would be a great bonus too.

Also, a save feature would be nice for both games.

Edited by Tomoki Sakurai

If you think we at Retro somehow personally benefit from you purchasing these games, you are seriously mistaken. We are not promoting these games for our own sake.

Yes, yes, don't let them suspect anything. They can't know about the big fat checks SEGA sends to us thanks to Sonic games selling. ph34r.png Aaron, if you're reading this, I'd like this month's check in cash please. Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

The SEGA Genesis version of Sonic 1 has been released on:

Genesis, iPod, iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), Mobile, Microsoft Windows, Virtual Console, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS (Sonic Classic Collection), Xbox Live Arcade, PSN, Android (Japan only), Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Nintendo GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360, Playstation 3.

That's an incredible number of platforms. It's sold over 4.3 million units (according to VGChartz - unofficial figures) and is the second highest selling 2d Sonic game behind Sonic 2? I can see Sonic 1 breaking the five millions unit mark by the end of this year.

I own eight copies of Sonic 1 and would be more than happy to buy more.

Edited by -Bender-

Do you honestly think I can just flat out say it?

No and that's the problem. Well, that's not such a problem, actually but all that hype is)). It's all over nothing, really.

If the ports will be that great, people will buy it. If not, they won't. Simple as that. No need for over-reacting like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, good goyim, let them know we're not receiving any checks to pay for our servers.ph34r.png

Since everyone else decided to show up, sure, let's make this a party. As others have said, there's a reason we're excited about this other than it's Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 being re-released for the n-th time. Why exactly? Other than two of the best and brightest in the community being hands on with this project (Stealth + Sonic 1 = Guaranteed perfection), there's more to it that no one can talk about.

Yes, there's no shock from people being like, "These two games again? I already own them, like, 200 times over! Why should I buy them again?" Frankly, that was expected (followed by, "Damn it, I already bought those two hunks of junk on the App Store!") We're not selling you snake oil here nor are we random no-names on 4chan, Sega forums, or GameFAQs with quirky handles professing nonsense about Sonic Four Swords on Wii U.

If you'd prefer to wait it out before dropping money, by all means. Just know that Retro strongly recommends supporting the releases, and not just to feed Taxman's wallet so he can keep his vegemite addiction in check. :V

This, however, sounds quite reassuring and persuasively. I may change my mind about what I said.

That's a whole lot of retro guys here today...xD

Is this hype stuff and encouragement gonna be newsie'd on TSS or anything or would that cause SEGA to think someone is leaking their info or something :? It's risky business for you Retro peeps considering you really didn't have to say anything at all if you didn't want to.

Reposting this from Retro because I was going to post a similar thing:

>It will promote future use of the Retro engine in ports or new Sonic titles.

>Its being officially developed by not 1 but 2 well known fan creators in the Sonic community.

>And its most likely going to be cheap considering SCD2011 was.

Seriously, other then bitching about how many copies of S1+2 you have, whats the other reason for you not supporting this if you have the ability to?

Those are good reasons, I guess. But why is promoting the use of the Retro engine in new Sonic titles necessarily a good thing? What if people want a new 3D Sonic game rather than a "classic style" Sonic game? I'm not challenging what you're saying so much as I'm challenging the idea that retro Sonic games are necessarily good for the franchise and are what everyone wants. That may not be what you're saying but it seems to be an idea that's prevalent in this thread. Or maybe I've misunderstood what the "Retro engine" is (I haven't followed Taxman or related things much), and if so please tell me smile.png

Is this hype stuff and encouragement gonna be newsie'd on TSS or anything or would that cause SEGA to think someone is leaking their info or something :? It's risky business for you Retro peeps considering you really didn't have to say anything at all if you didn't want to.

Aren't their forums public and therefore if the Retro community was talking about something, everyone would see it? Or are you talking about the admins who are in contact with SEGA?

Edited by Frogging101

Indeed, there's absolutely nothing wrong with promoting the efforts here.

The kind of petty bullshit complaining about what people are doing in terms of making an effort to push it into prominence is pretty ridiculous and I don't get the animosity expressed towards what we consider a great and involved community. Do what you can to support the release and the efforts put into them, it's good to have fan involvement and letting people be aware of it hurts absolutely no one. I'm glad this is happening.

If it's not of your interest, that's fine, but that doesn't discredit what's happening here.

Very true, it's like when you have a friend who made something cool, and you just want to back him up by spreading his work. There's nothing wrong about it.

Anyway, I give my symbolic support to Taxman, but don't count on me for these 2 games. Hit me up when this something new pops-up, and then he can have my money.

All I know is that I trust these Retro people (because I have reason too) and that I will be buying both ports if they come to 360 (which from the looks of it they most likely will), to do my part for the future of the franchise, and because they will most likely be awesomeness-filled Taxman remakes and not just ports. Besides, they will pretty much be the definitive version of their respective games and you're supporting a fan who's work ascended to official levels, what's not worth spending money on?

EDIT: Dammit, why did I run out of likes I wanna like so many posts in this topic aghhhh

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

"Remastered Soundtrack"

tumblr_lvwcg6XeHm1qbjo08o1_250.png

"It's just the original arrangement in better quality"

943227717d1305393395t-english-spam-threa

But in all honesty, I'm still slightly interested in hearing the definitive versions of the S1/2 Genesis soundtracks, but not half as much as before. I'm interested in what synthesizer (apparently) the drum samples come from, however. Since they're recreating the OST from scratch, they /would/ have access to/know the synthesizer used for the drums, right?

Cool for people that are looking forward to this, though I doubt I'll buy this when it does come out.

Sonic Team USA doesn't exist any more, I thought? And SEGA of America got merged with SoE to form SEGA West? Not trying to debate, just pointing out the thing I noticed. 

I think it was SEGA of America working only on digital stuff, SEGA of Europe chief for overall Western stuff, and both under the umbrella SEGA West. So these prots, or Sonic 4, would still fall under SoA.

Yeah Sonic 4 is almost definitely a product of SEGA West for the most part. I would 500% rather have future 2D Sonics made under the retro-engine than more backwards experiments from SEGA who are only half-sure of what they're doing.

Yeah, SEGA of America, Inc. is still what the American SEGA employees refer to themselves as: http://www.linkedin.com/company/391029?goback=%2Efcs_GLHD_sega+of+america_false_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&trk=ncsrch_hits

Meanwhile, over in Europe they're referred to as SEGA Europe Ltd.: 

http://www.linkedin.com/company/1539851?goback=%2Efcs_GLHD_sega+europe_false_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&trk=ncsrch_hits

Both fall under the SEGA West umbrella, but SEGA West is rarely used officially. Like, SEGA West isn't on Linkedin or used on letterhead or mailing labels. Jürgen Post is referred to by the press as COO of SEGA West, but officially he is President/COO SEGA Europe at SEGA Europe Limited. John Cheng is President and CFO of SEGA of America. 

Edited by Barry the Nomad

I'm still grateful for Sonic 4, in that their good games/episodes in their own right - well Ep2 is, and if it wasn't for Ep1 I don't think we would have gotten the enhanced version of CD, the widescreen version of SA2, and of course the up and coming improved versions of Sonic 1&2.

*Really cool Retro Staff dude* 

Desert Dash photo Taxman snuck into SCD 2011.

Upcoming DLC for Sonic Dash? tongue.png

Yeah Desert Dazzle looked so cool. It's a shame it was never included.

Edited by -Bender-

I really hope I wasn't considered as one of the ones bitching...:( I'm willing to buy this. It was just, at the time, I will still in that "oh. another one" mindset. I mean, now it's sounding pretty good. plus, it has been awhile since I played Sonic 2.(screw off XBLA version!)