Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

What about Knuckle's Chaotix characters, mighty, classic Vector, and espio could be interesting

Apart from Charmy Bee who would totally break 3&K with his flying - never get tired - ability, none of the other Chaotix characters would add anything useful to the gameplay that you don't already get with Knuckles, Sonic and Tails. So there really isn't much point in including them (not that they ever would be).

Edited by -Bender-

How it isn't the same?

Cause it's not official and I can't buy it on a console with buttons ):

• Thumbs Up 1

Cause it's not official and I can't buy it on a console with buttons ):

You can download it for free and play on an emulator using a generic PS2 joystick, or if you have the money, a 360 controller. What difference does it makes if it's official or not? A lot of fan-games and fan-hacks out there are doing better than Sonic Team's latest entrances, especially regarding a cert4in 2D series.

Edited by Jango

That's not the point. People were happy that Tails was added to Sonic CD, he could have been in Sonic CD hacks for years, but people were still happy that he was in the remake. Are you implying they shouldn't be? Or that if Tails or Knuckles were added to Sonic 1 or 2 it'd be pointless?

I'm not saying playable Amy in any of those games would ever happen because it won't, it's just something that I, personally, would like. But it's hardly the same as playing as them in a hack, controller or not? If she or any other character were added to an official version of the game, there's no reason I shouldn't be happy about that.

• Thumbs Up 4

That's not the point. People were happy that Tails was added to Sonic CD, he could have been in Sonic CD hacks for years, but people were still happy that he was in the remake. Are you implying they shouldn't be? Or that if Tails or Knuckles were added to Sonic 1 or 2 it'd be pointless?

I'm not saying playable Amy in any of those games would ever happen because it won't, it's just something that I, personally, would like. But it's hardly the same as playing as them in a hack, controller or not? If she or any other character were added to an official version of the game, there's no reason I shouldn't be happy about that.

Well... putting like that makes me sounds silly. Yeah, people were able to play as Tails in CD before 2011 via hacks, it wasn't a pointless addition and they have the right to be happy, but I think I just can't undertand why people would spend money on a thing they can have for free, just because it's official. Well, I guess it's just me. Sorry if I was rude or anything.

Edited by Jango

Naw it's ok I didn't find it rude, my post before that was a little jokey intentionally so I didn't fully elaborate, but that sort of thing is why a hack isn't the same as having it in a full game to me and presumably others.

Something about playing the regular classic game as Sonic and then unlocking new characters that weren't in the original always just felt really rewarding and cool to me, especially if it's official, it feels like the creators did it out of labour of love when they could have just left it as it was. That's what Tails felt like, to me.

(so yeah what Tornado said too)

Apart from Charmy Bee who would totally break 3&K with his flying - never get tired - ability, none of the other Chaotix characters would add anything useful to the gameplay that you don't already get with Knuckles, Sonic and Tails. So there really isn't much point in including them (not that they ever would be).

well first off, I thought classic vector always looked pretty cool. he also has an multi-directional air boost, and could climb. Mighty has wall jump(which sonic doesnt have in S1-3&K)..... admitedly not sure about Espio(shrugs) but those other 2 could be interesting

The Chaotix aren't part of the classic cast, though.

I know they are, but they're not.

well first off, I thought classic vector always looked pretty cool. he also has an multi-directional air boost, and could climb. Mighty has wall jump(which sonic doesnt have in S1-3&K)..... admitedly not sure about Espio(shrugs) but those other 2 could be interesting

Espio can walk on walls and ceilings.

Edited by MarcelloF

Has there been at least a hint at the release date? Or these will be a separate release from the current Sonic 1-2 or will they simply be udated if you already own them? If so I imagine it will be a payed update anyways.

Has there been at least a hint at the release date? Or these will be a separate release from the current Sonic 1-2 or will they simply be udated if you already own them? If so I imagine it will be a payed update anyways.

Release date is currently just Spring 2013, maybe just for Sonic 1. The iOS version will be updated if you already own it (I think for free), the Android version will be new since it wasn't on Android before.

I would assume that, if it comes to any consoles, those versions will be updated too.

Because it's nice to support Sega's attempts to reach out to the community and do something that the community wanted.

Basically. Should an S3&K remake be on its way, it's not too likely that it'll have as much spit and polish as Sonic 3 Complete does, a hack that makes the original game play like a broken piece of shit in comparison and has more features than any fan of the game could possibly want (while at the same time adding very little extraneous material). Regardless, I'd still support it, and I would certainly buy a remake of Sonic 1/2 that contains all three characters with their trademark abilities even though hacks have done that same thing in the past.

Except for Tails being able to fly in Sonic 2. That's never been done before as a stand-alone hack. If the Taxman remake includes this ability then I'd be about as happy as with Tails's inclusion in Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh god now I feel so silly for buying all three games on XBLA...

I'm so happy they're doing this, ever since CD I'd hoped they would keep going! Also Backbone hates me so.... fuckyea

Say, if the Retro people are still here, is it possible to ask for the synthesizer model used for the Sonic 1/2 drums? I'd willingly buy all the Sonic1/2 Taxman remakes I could afford if we were allowed access to its name, seriously.

On another note, is charging a price on updates even a thing on iPhones? I don't think I ever saw something like that.

On another note, is charging a price on updates even a thing on iPhones? I don't think I ever saw something like that.

Nope. Updates are free. There may be DLC or other extras that you can pay for, but this is being issued purely as an update and will be free.

One thing that I really like about Sonic CD 2011 is the art style that Christian Whitehead used for the main menu screen:

main-menu-final.png

I also like how it looks when you scroll down each option (start game, time attack, soundtrack etc) diagionally. When I first saw screenshots of the main menu I was very impressed. It's just really pretty visually.

I hope CW does something similiar with Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 by adding an aditional menu screen (with the same kind of options) that looks really cool.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 8

So this is effectively the 'build' that Christian Whitehead brought to GDC. Looks pretty good. Very smooth. I wonder how many people will fall off the outer edge of the platforms when fighting Eggman due to the new widescreen? tongue.png Naturally they didn't show any additional features like the spindash.

Sonic 1 will definitely be my next purchase for Android. 

Edited by -Bender-

So this is effectively the 'build' that Christian Whitehead brought to GDC. Looks pretty good. Very smooth. I wonder how many people will fall off the outer edge of the platforms when fighting Eggman due to the new widescreen? tongue.png Naturally they didn't show any additional features like the spindash.

Sonic 1 will definitely be my next purchase for Android. 

The spin dash is at 1:43. 

Well, it looks lovely. Absolutely none of the slight frame rate dips that even the original game had, so it's a real improvement. And I really love the way that the wrecking ball spins. But I did notice one thing...

wsprob.png

I know it may seem like I'm nitpicking, but that's a problem brought about by widescreen that I'm very sure can be fixed easily. And I'll be surprised if it isn't.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

The spin dash is at 1:43. 

Oops, you're quite correct. Serves me right for not paying attention to every second of the video. My bad.

Looks great though in widescreen.