Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

If Sonic 2 makes it to the 360, I am definitely buying. My favorite Sonic game in HD with a remastered soundtrack sounds perfect.

Thankfully, the game's current hideous on-screen controls are to be overhauled, too. Post-update, you'll be able to control Sega's Blue Blur with a virtual joystick and a small 'jump' button.

But wait, there's more.

In the updated version of Sonic The Hedgehog, you will be able to toggle Sonic's infamous spin attack on and off, and view the game's UK, US, and Japanese cartridge art.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Sonic+The+Hedgehog+(iPhone)/news.asp?c=49698

If you downloaded the original Sonic years ago, this will be a free update. When asked if they’re eventually upgrading other disappointing Genesis iOS games like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and Gunstar Heroes, one Sega brand manager wouldn’t reveal any new details, but a Sega executive we talked to casually indicated “that was the plan.” The Sega Genesis lineup on iOS needs improvement, so hopefully this major update to Sonic the Hedgehog is just the first in a series of tune-ups.

http://www.slidetoplay.com/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-to-receive-major-app-update/

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh boy, cartridge art. Eh, I'll just Google them if I want to look at them.

And the implication of Sonic 1 and 2's success is an improvement on the rest of the iOS library? That's...pretty neat, wouldn't mind an improved Streets of Rage.

Still waiting to see more specific details though.

Don't care about widescreen. It's a bonus, but I'm used to the borders that I saw in previous ports and Sonic Adventure (PSN). I only care about widescreen when the games created are from (2005+) when the games are in HD.

Remastered soundtrack? I'll need to hear a sample before I judge this part.

And what do you mean "none of them is that accessible?" Sonic 1 definitely is accessible. You can get this game almost anywhere. I can get this game in any single device in my home if I wanted to, that includes my 11 year old Nokia phone.

So you're saying they will update the previous PSN Backbone port too with no extra charge?

Yes, it's a bonus, and some people care about these bonuses. As you can see from the past few years, SEGA is trying harder to make their ports better, see CD, Adventure 2 and now Sonic 1 and 2. The Heritage Collection, NiGHTS, Jet Set Radio. They're trying to loose that "lazy port" title, and deliver their classics into this generation in a definitive way. If you don't care about their growth, then you can keep playing the older ports, no problem with that. Just understand that SEGA isn't JUST releasing these games again for pure extra profits, they're trying to solidify their good and classic games in a respectfull/worth way.

Yes, Sonic 1 is accessible, for those who own a Genesis, a GBA, a DS, a PS3, and even like you said, a 11 years old Nokia. But then again, not many people own these devices, but see how many have an iPhone today, or easier, a PC. Bringing Sonic 1 again to the mobiles will cause more impact than another port on the PSN/XBLA. The extra stuff will call people's attention even more. Why would I pay for a straight port from an old console, if I can have a HD experience here and now? People care about this stuff, especially the kiddos. I think it only makes sense to SEGA...

But anyway, news?

While you're mostly right, you forgot that Generations story ITSELF says that Classic Sonic is yonger Sonic. Every other redesign in any other game was just an art direction change but in Generations it was clearly stated that C. Sonic is yonger Sonic. YES, Classic Sonic was there for fans but they outright SAID he was yonger!

It's younger because it's Sonic from before. Did you know the you from 5 minutes ago is also younger than the you from now? Of course Classic Sonic was younger, but that was not something to do with the design- simply, Classic Sonic was used in the 90's, Modern Sonic is still used.

Are we arguing over Sonic's age in Sonic Generations now?

e_e

We are a Sonic forum.

This is our job.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well we argue over what colour his eyes should be so why not his age?! XD

(The correct answer is "why don't you ask for his weight and shoe size while you're at it?!" :cool.png

Anyways; yaaaay a Sonic 1 remake that won't suck balls, if the CD remake was anything to go by. I have the original Mega Drive cartridges somewhere, my stepdad has Sonic Mega Collection and I sometimes play them on an emulator, but ehhh... to have a new, proper copy would be awesome too. So yeah...

Shut-up-and-take-my-rings.png

Edited by MamboCat
  • Thumbs Up 1

...Said Takashi Iizuka.

That's probably pretty close to the truth. He needed prompting about Fang when asked about him, and he has far more of a game pedigree than Mighty.

I wonder if they mean you can change the app icon to correspond to the cartridge design? Not sure iOS can do that, don't think so, I know nothing about Android.

I wonder if they mean you can change the app icon to correspond to the cartridge design? Not sure iOS can do that, don't think so, I know nothing about Android.

Well, Taxman already said the new app icon will be styled similar to the the flyer we've seen, which in turn is styled after the Japanese boxart. Changing the app icon at will seems unlikely though.

EDIT: lol, I meant to stay out of this topic. But if we're going to have a proper discussion about the games then by all means :D

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are we arguing over Sonic's age in Sonic Generations now?

e_e

Notice how when ever this same stupid argument gets brought up, it's that ArtFenix dude who always seems to be there....

I really hope these come out on consoles or PC, I love the Sonic CD port, and would love to have these but I'm not too fond of getting an Android.

Edited by Mysterics

Well, Taxman already said the new app icon will be styled similar to the the flyer we've seen, which in turn is styled after the Japanese boxart. Changing the app icon at will seems unlikely though.

EDIT: lol, I meant to stay out of this topic. But if we're going to have a proper discussion about the games then by all means biggrin.png

So glad he mentioned that, because it annoyed the hell out of my OCD mind to see modern era art used with Sonic 1 & 2. 

• Thumbs Up 5

So glad he mentioned that, because it annoyed the hell out of my OCD mind to see modern era art used with Sonic 1 & 2. 

SEGA for some reason always does this. I'm pretty sure Classic Collection, Gems, and MEGA Collection all used Modern art. It looks ugly and out of place imo inside the classic setting.

It wasn't really a big deal on Classic, Mega & Gems Collection because they were compilations and it was a sort of roundabout way of showing where the series was at that point while showcasing games from earlier on. Now the games seperately on the other hand.. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The publishers can change the app icon if they want with an update...I know it because it happened with MLP's game...so yeah, who owns the game will probably get their icon changed on iOS

Oh yeah, I know app icons change all the time. What I was wondering was if users could change the app icon within the app to match their preferred cartridge art. Or maybe it'll be a regional thing.

So I know someone mentioned it earlier in this topic, but I'm on my phone so I dunno if it's been addressed yet. It's been confirmed that Sonic 1 will have the spin dash.

• Thumbs Up 2